Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Patch Maintenance on Juneteenth

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is more to the world than just the US. Every country has different holidays. Personally I had never heard of juneteeth before this thread.

In my country we only celebrate two of those entire list: New Year and Christmas. But we also sometimes experience maintenance during our holidays. It just happens sometimes. Luckily lately the (PC EU) servers seem to be more stable, so unexpected maintenace/downtime is kept to a minimum nowadays.

PS: I'm glad they bring out bugfixes so fast. Even though the Necrom launch was very smooth.
    PPS: Independence day US always makes me smile... with such a high debt you are not really independent. Hehe!
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its not a holiday, its not celebrated outside of one town in texas so its not worth a companys time to change maintenance over. Im not even sure why it matters that theres maintenance on any day late at night and extremely early in the morning its not like the games down for the day
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do realize that Necrom comes out for consoles etc on Tuesday? I think thats why the patch comes on Monday. So they see if it works on PC and can implement it (or not) when Necrom starts on consoles on Tuesday.
    Maybe thats the reason they want to get it done exactly on that day.
    So I would endure it for this year, if I were american, and only raise my voice again if there is patch maintentence on that freshly founded holiday next year too.
    PC/EU
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, we absolutely NEED this patch ASAP because of all the (hopefully) bug fixes that are needed.

Second, not everyone gets off for this new holiday, I still have to work my 12/hour shift. Lucky to those who have it off, but realize you are lucky and not everyone has this luxury.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I actually think that they will not because it's the release of Necrom. I actually don't expect them to move it this year. I'd just like a comment that they'll take it into consideration next time, and generally avoid maintenance on this holiday unless it's absolutely necessary. It's too late for Necrom to drop Tuesday.

Actually, Necrom for consoles does drop on Tuesday. It is just that the maintenance starts on Monday in some time zones.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the patch tomorrow? Or will the patch be 9n the console release day (which tbh I thought was tomorrow)?
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Is the patch tomorrow? Or will the patch be 9n the console release day (which tbh I thought was tomorrow)?

- tomorrow 19th early morning - NA/afternoon EU -> finishing of PC patch.
    - (starting19th late evening) 20th at night - NA/20th late morning - EU -> finishing of console Necrom patch
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they do it for all american holiday, then why stop there? Add the canadian holidays such as canada day, the st jean baptiste, victoria day or the canadian thanksgiving in october? to it, we are as much north america than the us. Then why not do it for the remaining holiday in eu.

My point is zos need to put a limit at somepoint or we wont get to have maintenance at all
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main issues I think break down to:

The game is HQ’d in the US and it could be subject to American Holidays.

And two; Americans get so few holidays.

Would be nice to give Zos employees a three day weekend, but zos could have also pushed or pulled the game release by a week and have avoided this all together.
  • AlwaysDancing
    AlwaysDancing
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, maybe ZoS should shut the game down on "Federal" holidays. Since, you know, nobody is supposed to work but rather do the thing that the holiday represents.

Sarcasm aside - holidays in general don't mean much any more in the sense of "working". Most people still have to work their regular shifts and do their regular things - and most people are compensated for working on these holidays. If we mothballed maintenance on holidays, there wouldn't be many days left to so the actual maintenance. Just go do something else for the few hours the servers are down.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, ESO is a game. A paid-for service provided to players.

It is common sense and a pretty reasonable expectation that it should be available on public holidays *when the people who pay for it would expect to be playing it in large numbers*. They're not doing you a favour by letting you play the game whenever they fancy. It is a commercial product that you have paid for.

I'm in the UK so I've no stake in this fight. But posts that suggest ZOS should do whatever they like when they like are pretty odd. It's a bit like arguing that theatres should run shows at 3pm, audience be screwed, because that's more convenient for the theatre companies.

If you sell a product in showbiz and entertainment, you need to take into account when your customers want to consume that kind of product. If you don't want to do that, you're in the wrong business.
    Edited by Northwold on June 18, 2023 3:25PM
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it's not a new holiday, it's pretty new that some places are giving work off for it. Even here in Texas some places are giving off and some aren't. Would be nice to see more businesses move towards giving off, which I'm assuming zos is not since they're doing the patch. Kinda stinks having to go to work on a federal holiday when you know people who are off 😂
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Since this now a federal holiday in the US, could you guys maybe consider not doing maintenance on these days. You've moved maintenance for holidays for both European and North Americans in the past, so I would hope this holiday would also get the same consideration. I understand it can't be done for every holiday in the world, but as a US company it would nice if the small amount of federally observed ones were acknowledged.

These are the federally observed holidays.
    New Year's Day Monday January 2nd, 2023
    Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Monday January 16th, 2023
    Washington's Birthday Monday February 20th, 2023
    Memorial Day Monday May 29th, 2023
    Juneteenth Independence Day Monday June 19th, 2023
    Independence Day Tuesday July 4th, 2023
    Labor Day Monday September 4th, 2023
    Columbus Day Monday October 9th, 2023
    Veterans Day Friday November 10th, 2023
    Thanksgiving Day Thursday November 23rd, 2023
    Christmas Day Monday December 25th, 2023

What's "Juneteenth"??
    Juneteenth (officially Juneteenth National Independence Day) is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.

That's from wikipedia, says it a lot more succinctly than I was trying to!

I guess you skipped over the earlier posts?

Oh ok. Well it's not a holiday in the EU or Canada, maybe that's also a reason they're doing maintenance when they are.

Nope - it's only recently a holdiay here. Like a couple years ago. And It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, because I'm retired so I can play whenever the game is up. And I'm not African American (at least AFAIK - though my hair might make people wonder)- so whatever happens is okay with me. But people with a real viscreral interest in juneteenth might be much more invested in not having patch dropping on Jumeteenth.

And I'm fine with that. I think ZOS should absolutely do the patch either before or after the holiday. Just as I've always felt EU holidays should be respected the same.

Necrom on Console drops on the 20th.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Holidays falling on weekends get observed on the following Monday. Avoiding Mondays so people with the day off can play more would be thoughtful.
    On the other hand, the people performing the maintenance - maybe they get to keep a vacation day at their other job working a holiday doing our maintenance?
    Or maybe these maintenance get scheduled primarily on the availability of the technicians?
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • morrowjen
    morrowjen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    There is more to the world than just the US. Every country has different holidays. Personally I had never heard of juneteeth before this thread.

In my country we only celebrate two of those entire list: New Year and Christmas. But we also sometimes experience maintenance during our holidays. It just happens sometimes. Luckily lately the (PC EU) servers seem to be more stable, so unexpected maintenace/downtime is kept to a minimum nowadays.

PS: I'm glad they bring out bugfixes so fast. Even though the Necrom launch was very smooth.
    PPS: Independence day US always makes me smile... with such a high debt you are not really independent. Hehe!

Try and collect. Hehehe. China and America are in a toxic relationship. We sell them toxic debt and they sell us toxic toys and everything else. If we were to quit this relationship and we could do so by paying down our debt which would in turn really mess with the value of Chinese goods and manufacturing economies in general, China would be out of jobs and Americans would be out of damn near everything but food and clothing until we decided to either manufacture again or buy from someone else.

But large national economies don't operate like personal bank accounts. Nations can last many centuries making the concept of a debt that gets called in somewhat silly. This is particularly true for any nation who is involved enough in the world economy to wreak havoc. Smaller nations or ones with less leverage do get punished from time to time tho.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holidays falling on weekends get observed on the following Monday. Avoiding Mondays so people with the day off can play more would be thoughtful.

This is true. If they had maintenance on Tuesdays instead of Monday in general, they'd avoid a ton of holidays even ones that aren't necessarily recognized.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Fort Collins Co.,we celebrate all weekend and have closures on the nineteenth. Maintenance should be moved to Tuesday if possible.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’d never heard of the holiday either until they made it official a few years back. I still work on that day, it’s not a major holiday. I’m fine with them having maintenance on it.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How is it beneficial to not have maintenance on this day? Why shouldn't the company operate as normal on this day?

It's a federal holiday. It should get the same treatment as other federal holidays. Banks are closed. My office is closed. All federal employees have the day off. There's a lot of people who treat is a special day with cookouts, events, etc.

It may be a federal holiday but it's not quite at the level of a day that most have it off. It's no Christmas or Thanksgiving, or labor day. Not is it memorial day, MLK day, or memorial day.

It's kind of on par with indigenous peoples day right now, where I have to explain to people whom don't know about it what the holiday is and why it's important. Similar to the change to the October holiday.

It will likely change, but its still new and at this point we are still in the educate and convince people to observe timeframe. Yes I support the observance, we just need to build more support for it.

Edit: Also keep in mind that juneteenth is not an x week in y month holiday. Its a set date holiday that will move around. That will be a factor in observance sadly.
    Edited by wolfie1.0. on June 19, 2023 2:41AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    It will likely change, but its still new and at this point we are still in the educate and convince people to observe timeframe.

That is literally the point of this thread. There's a ton of people who do have the day off. My city has a parade and a festival and there's usually a lot of people barbecuing. And what do you think that looks like if not notifying companies about the national holiday and seeing if they will give people the time off?

I don't expect the upcoming patch to be moved. But, its really not that hard for them to just go "Oh yes, it is a national holiday. We'll try not to schedule maintenance on the day in the future unless there's an emergency". That it is always the same day makes it easier. My company gives it off exactly because of requests like these.

They are already pretty good about NOT scheduling maintenance on the other federal holidays. So, I don't see any reason why this holiday needs to be different. It's new, yes. But that's all the more reason to point it out so that companies can standardize it.
    It's kind of on par with indigenous peoples day right now

They did not have maintenance on this day last year.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 19, 2023 5:49AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some interesting Juneteenth pictures. It's not the biggest of the federal holidays, but plenty of people definitely celebrate it. It's a very old holiday (the federal recognition is recent, the celebration itself is not).

A walk for Juneteenth
    AA1cD2nx.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

An outdoor event
    AALdKPd.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

Some kind of event in NY
    220619191841-19-juneteenth-celebrations-2022.jpg?c=original&q=w_1376,c_fill

A historical celebration from 1900
    AA1cIqbx.img?w=768&h=621&m=6

A musical performance for the holiday
    3D926FB93ED61982E0CD65AEBB6FF8D1.jpg?Expires=2082758400&KeyName=mcpkey1&Signature=q2ruxdp43arRsVYj3P8NyMuJcIc

Current Google doodgle
    juneteenth-2023-6753651837109890.2-l.webp

Supporters of the Major League Soccer club Nashville SC unveil a Juneteenth tifo before a match in 2022
    220620110317-25-juneteenth-celebrations-2022.jpg?c=original&q=w_1376,c_fill

A barbecue at a city fair

Another fair in 2020

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwgbh-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F09%2F54%2Fd41f5872457b994f5a99f5cf760b%2Fcropped-edgar-juneteenth-photo.jpg

This I think is a pretty good example of the kinds of events there are. It will depend on your city. But, across the nation there are various parades, fairs, barbeques, informational activities, and music events.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 19, 2023 5:19AM
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here's some interesting Juneteenth pictures. It's not the biggest of the federal holidays, but plenty of people definitely celebrate it. It's a very old holiday (the federal recognition is recent, the celebration itself is not).

A walk for Juneteenth
    AA1cD2nx.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

An outdoor event
    AALdKPd.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

Some kind of event in NY
    220619191841-19-juneteenth-celebrations-2022.jpg?c=original&q=w_1376,c_fill

A historical celebration from 1900
    AA1cIqbx.img?w=768&h=621&m=6

A musical performance for the holiday
    3D926FB93ED61982E0CD65AEBB6FF8D1.jpg?Expires=2082758400&KeyName=mcpkey1&Signature=q2ruxdp43arRsVYj3P8NyMuJcIc

Current Google doodgle
    juneteenth-2023-6753651837109890.2-l.webp

Supporters of the Major League Soccer club Nashville SC unveil a Juneteenth tifo before a match in 2022
    220620110317-25-juneteenth-celebrations-2022.jpg?c=original&q=w_1376,c_fill

A barbecue at a city fair

Another fair in 2020

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwgbh-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F09%2F54%2Fd41f5872457b994f5a99f5cf760b%2Fcropped-edgar-juneteenth-photo.jpg

This I think is a pretty good example of the kinds of events there are. It will depend on your city. But, across the nation there are various parades, fairs, barbeques, informational activities, and music events.

Awesome, and yes I understand and fully appreciate the efforts, I do wish more people in the US observe and know about it as well.

Happy Juneteenth! 😊
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's at 4 am (EST)

why would any 'Holiday' be of a concern at that time?

:#
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    It's at 4 am (EST)

This, the rest of the world in a different time zone that doesn't even know about it is really the only people that might be effected by the maintenance, you lot should be asleep.
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    richo262 wrote: »
    barney2525 wrote: »
    It's at 4 am (EST)

This, the rest of the world in a different time zone that doesn't even know about it is really the only people that might be effected by the maintenance, you lot should be asleep.

If it was a week earlier, it would be 6 pm on a public holiday in most of my country.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may not be as widely known outside of the US. but it's a pretty important one here.

I know a few games are having special events and ingame items made available for this holiday.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Old_Foggy
    Old_Foggy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    First I've heard of Juneteenth, I initially assumed it was a typo for June 10th. What is it?

Deriving its name from combining June and nineteenth, it is celebrated on the anniversary of the order by Major General Gordon Granger proclaiming freedom for enslaved people in Texas on June 19, 1865
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In the case of Easter Monday - which is observed in many countries in the EU and beyond - ZOS did have a planned maintenance however they did reschedule it, which I was grateful for.

Even though one could argue that maintenance times have less impact for US players given that they happen during the night/very early hours of the morning it would be still a reasonable request IMO to have the same courtesy extended to them.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maintenance will be finished by 9am on the east coast, and hence, even earlier in the other US time zones.
    How is this such a huge imposition?

AND, it may be a classified as a federal holiday, but it was left up to the states as to whether they recognize it at all, and very few (only a handful) do.
    There aren't that many areas that are affected.

As is evidenced by this thread; very few people are even aware of what Juneteenth is. (sadly.)

Edited by Grizzbeorn on June 19, 2023 9:19AM
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »
      Maintenance will be finished by 9am on the east coast, and hence, even earlier in the other US time zones.
      How is this such a huge imposition?

I think that the "imposition" is that tomorrow's Necrom release on the console servers starts today at 10 pm ET, which is 7 pm PT.

ESO Plus: No
      PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus