Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Patch Maintenance on Juneteenth

spartaxoxo
spartaxoxo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Since this now a federal holiday in the US, could you guys maybe consider not doing maintenance on these days. You've moved maintenance for holidays for both European and North Americans in the past, so I would hope this holiday would also get the same consideration. I understand it can't be done for every holiday in the world, but as a US company it would nice if the small amount of federally observed ones were acknowledged.

These are the federally observed holidays.
New Year's Day Monday January 2nd, 2023
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Monday January 16th, 2023
Washington's Birthday Monday February 20th, 2023
Memorial Day Monday May 29th, 2023
Juneteenth Independence Day Monday June 19th, 2023
Independence Day Tuesday July 4th, 2023
Labor Day Monday September 4th, 2023
Columbus Day Monday October 9th, 2023
Veterans Day Friday November 10th, 2023
Thanksgiving Day Thursday November 23rd, 2023
Christmas Day Monday December 25th, 2023
Edited by spartaxoxo on June 17, 2023 9:19PM
  • SacredNym
    SacredNym
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't do it for every holiday in the world, then it shouldn't be done.

Alternatively, if Americans are entitled to have their holidays free of maintenance, then so is the rest of the world.

Stuff happens, put up with it, move on.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SacredNym wrote: »

Alternatively, if Americans are entitled to have their holidays free of maintenance, then so is the rest of the world.

I think it's okay for companies to do it primarily for the servers they on or the country they're headquartered in. They moved maintenance for Easter Monday for the EU server, for example. I would expect a Japanese game I played to not have maintenance during Golden Week.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 17, 2023 9:33PM
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    SacredNym wrote: »

I think it's okay for companies to do it primarily for the servers they on or the country they're headquartered in. They moved maintenance for Easter Monday for the EU server, for example. I would expect a Japanese game I played to not have maintenance during Golden Week.

Yeah, that sounds right. They are after all not "all-world" servers. They are north american and european servers.

Edited by MidniteOwl1913 on June 17, 2023 9:38PM
    PS5/NA
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I've heard of Juneteenth, I initially assumed it was a typo for June 10th. What is it?
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    First I've heard of Juneteenth, I initially assumed it was a typo for June 10th. What is it?

Same
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juneteenth (officially Juneteenth National Independence Day) is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.

That's from wikipedia, says it a lot more succinctly than I was trying to!

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's relatively recent that it's been a federal holiday (since 2021), but the idea of celebrating it has been around for a lot longer.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    First I've heard of it.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live in the United States and I've never heard of this, nor have I ever seen it observed by any company. Stores don't close for this, it isn't a paid holiday in the workplace (Maybe some? Don't know. Again, never heard of it) I don't see why regular maintenance which is needed for the game to operate should be moved for it for any reason. Its not like a massive amount of Americans are getting days off on this day to play or something.

How is it beneficial to not have maintenance on this day? Why shouldn't the company operate as normal on this day?
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a paid holiday at my work, but as its only been a federal holiday for 2 years, I am not surprised that its not as widely adopted in private industry.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is it beneficial to not have maintenance on this day? Why shouldn't the company operate as normal on this day?

It's a federal holiday. It should get the same treatment as other federal holidays. Banks are closed. My office is closed. All federal employees have the day off. There's a lot of people who treat is a special day with cookouts, events, etc.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 17, 2023 11:38PM
  • morrowjen
    morrowjen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

When slavery was officially ended in Texas by an order enforcing the emancipation proclamation. It's been a state thing there for a long time but by and large it was only celebrated by those who had connections to Texas. Later it became campaigned for as a sort of national stand-in for all emancipation days.

Slavery ended several different ways but Texas was the last non-border state*** (slave holding border states were under different rules than confederate states). There is an exception to this though. Tennessee was not under the Emancipation Proclamation for several reasons despite having joined the confederacy. They're the only state to end slavery by popular vote (ratified an amendment to the state constitution just before the 13th Amendment applied to everyone).
    Edited by morrowjen on June 18, 2023 12:01AM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this now a federal holiday in the US, could you guys maybe consider not doing maintenance on these days. You've moved maintenance for holidays for both European and North Americans in the past, so I would hope this holiday would also get the same consideration. I understand it can't be done for every holiday in the world, but as a US company it would nice if the small amount of federally observed ones were acknowledged.

I'm curious if the ZOS union QA department gets the day off (or double pay for working a federal holiday), and the rest of the shop does not? How does that work?

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

I'm curious if the ZOS union QA department gets the day off (or double pay for working a federal holiday), and the rest of the shop does not? How does that work?

A lot of places probably give time and a half, but private companies don't have to do anything about federal holidays. That said, it is fairly common for non-service industry companies to be closed on federal holidays. And much of the stuff that is open pays extra for working on a holiday. It will depend on the company though, there's a lot of variation. There is no official federal rule on it.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 18, 2023 12:47AM
  • Crimsonorion
    Crimsonorion
    ✭✭✭
    Juneteenth is like Presidents Day or Columbus Day [or w/e its called now]. A majority of people don't get it off, its observed and you might get Holiday pay for it depending on your company, but its not July 4th or Labor Day or Christmas/New Years. So no reason to not have maintenance
  • sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maintenance on Monday is perfectly fine but I'm guessing zos will cave to Tuesday.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juneteenth is like Presidents Day or Columbus Day [or w/e its called now]. A majority of people don't get it off, its observed and you might get Holiday pay for it depending on your company, but its not July 4th or Labor Day or Christmas/New Years. So no reason to not have maintenance

It's a pretty big holiday culturally to certain demographics of players. In my city there was a parade and everything. Beyond that, it's a Federal Holiday. I think it's reasonable it gets treated like other federal holidays. AFAIK they didn't have maintenance on Memorial Day.

Edited by spartaxoxo on June 18, 2023 1:20AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sPark101 wrote: »
    Maintenance on Monday is perfectly fine but I'm guessing zos will cave to Tuesday.

I actually think that they will not because it's the release of Necrom. I actually don't expect them to move it this year. I'd just like a comment that they'll take it into consideration next time, and generally avoid maintenance on this holiday unless it's absolutely necessary. It's too late for Necrom to drop Tuesday but no reason maintenance needs to happen on Juneteenth in the future.
  • HidesInPlainSight
    HidesInPlainSight
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, the servers need the maintenance. This is literally the worst the game has been in terms of performance in years. Add in the bugs, and its basically unplayable at certain times.

• LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's "Juneteenth"??
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's "Juneteenth"??
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Juneteenth (officially Juneteenth National Independence Day) is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.

I guess you skipped over the earlier posts?

Edited by TaSheen on June 18, 2023 2:13AM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's "Juneteenth"??

Oh ok. Well it's not a holiday in the EU or Canada, maybe that's also a reason they're doing maintenance when they are.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's "Juneteenth"??

Oh ok. Well it's not a holiday in the EU or Canada, maybe that's also a reason they're doing maintenance when they are.

Nope - it's only recently a holdiay here. Like a couple years ago. And It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, because I'm retired so I can play whenever the game is up. And I'm not African American (at least AFAIK - though my hair might make people wonder)- so whatever happens is okay with me. But people with a real viscreral interest in juneteenth might be much more invested in not having patch dropping on Jumeteenth.

And I'm fine with that. I think ZOS should absolutely do the patch either before or after the holiday. Just as I've always felt EU holidays should be respected the same.

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There shouldn't be any scheduled maintenance on federal holidays, so people can enjoy the game on their day off.

Playing from the EU, so I'm not affected personally (this time). But it took zos literally years to respect our holidays, so I feel for our fellow US players and hope this maintenance will be postponed.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, if they change maintenance for US holidays, they should do the same for every country that has people playing the game.

I suppose those that want it are also the ones that want PVP nerfed while they sleep as well.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Nope, if they change maintenance for US holidays, they should do the same for every country that has people playing the game.

I suppose those that want it are also the ones that want PVP nerfed while they sleep as well.

They and most games already observe holidays without observing every holiday in the entire world. No company does that and I don't think this holiday should be held to a different standard than the other holidays.

Most of the games I have played they do the holidays of their headquarter country (in this case zos is us based) and some the holidays of their servers as well. As well as a few holidays from areas with large player populations, like I've seen Lunar New Year observed in some of them.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 18, 2023 3:45AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have game fixes than observe a federal holiday.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For those of us on the west coast this maintenace starts at 7:00 p.m. Meaning for people like myself who can only play in the evening that day is completely lost. I wouldn't mind it so much if was a couple of hours later like most maineance.
    PS5/NA
  • Darkheart
    Darkheart
    ✭✭✭
    Maintenance on my birthday??? How could they! *Screams* ;)
    Returning Home to Daggerfall.
  • BlackAxiom
    BlackAxiom
    ✭✭✭

Time to go outside.