The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Monsters in dungeons give 3 exp

Gohlar
Gohlar
✭✭✭✭
Why?

This makes no sense to me. In the world at level 13, killing enemies gives me anywhere from 50-100ish exp. When I'm grouped in a dungeon...3 exp per kill.

Why is dungeon exp nonexistent? I certainly hope it's a bug. This really hurts playing as a group.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, I've tested this in multiple, level appropriate groups found both manually and through the queue. I've completed all 3 level 15 dungeons and the exp remains near 0 for killing in dungeons. 1-3 exp per kill, every kill. Like 40 from a boss.

Hope it gets fixed!
  • Extremeties
    Extremeties
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, instanced dungeon xp is terrible as well. Its quite funny, during a loading screen into one of them, at the bottom it mentioned how instanced 4 man dungeons will provide more xp then usual yet its quite the opposite. Might this be a bug?
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's got to be a bug, it just makes no sense at all.
  • gibson31b
    gibson31b
    Im sure it will be gixed and yes it is definitely a coding issue which im sure they will address asap
  • Ithug
    Ithug
    ✭✭
    I really hope too, cus i'm a fan of dungeons. Its a good way to level up in others mmo. Also a good way to farm gear. :smiley:
    *Kal Vas Flam*
    - "You better run..."

Can. Qc* IGN @Ithug
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not a bug.

People were using dungeons to powerlevel.

This fixed that. You do dungeons for loot. Thats it.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its not a bug.

People were using dungeons to powerlevel.

This fixed that. You do dungeons for loot. Thats it.

That would be, of course, completely ridiculous. There is no reason the monsters in Dungeons should not give exp while monsters outside dungeons do. That is utterly nonsensical.

It scares me a little that you even called it a fix. This is an mmo and the group content gives the worst exp? That's laughable.

They need to get on this and fix it, it's a tremendous problem. Dungeons are fun.
    Edited by Gohlar on April 2, 2014 4:55AM
  • Zakalwe
    Zakalwe
    Gohlar wrote: »

That would be, of course, completely ridiculous. There is no reason the monsters in Dungeons should not give exp while monsters outside dungeons do. That is utterly nonsensical.

My guess is that they are pushing the open / reactive world content and don't want to see a WoW-style 'LFG-leveling' FOTM be pushed by the player base as the most efficient method.

However 1-2% of world XP is way, way off - they could keep the above goals while still awarding 60-70xp per normal mob kills in dungeons.

Don't hit me, I'm a medic!
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zakalwe wrote: »

However 1-2% of world XP is way, way off - they could keep the above goals while still awarding 60-70xp per normal mob kills in dungeons.

Exactly this! There has got to be a middle ground between completely OP and worthless.
  • vanity
    vanity
    ✭✭
    I'm literally appalled at all the complaining about everything in this game. There's a reason to nerf experience in dungeons.

One it was being farmed to max levels, now at first you'd think well, it's your game do what you want with it. However, as a product ESO probably doesn't particularly want people burning through it and becoming bored with in the 1 month trial period.

Two, if you've noticed, everywhere on the open world there are spawn rates and mob groupings usually at a max of 3-4. This is because people with strong area damage can farm exp faster than anyone by soloing huge groups of mobs. Dungeons have mob sets of 10+ and all of which are basically resettable, or simply run a good team and you can complete dungeons over and over in 15-20 minutes.

Three, take number two into account and now execute it into a dungeon. You have groups of 10-15 mobs and they all give more exp then world monsters which limit to groups of 3-4 for the very reason of nullifying power leveling to 50 in a day. It seems awfully stupid to make dungeons better exp and better drops. A single mob in a dungeon should obviously be less experience than mobs in the open world. Both because you're killing on a team, but also from the shear fact of the quantity you kill in the dungeon.

Stop complaining and try to enjoy a game that doesn't need to be completed in 10 days. Or 3 months, at that.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vanity, please stop white knighting. It doesn't help anyone or anything. There are people who like to group up for more challenging content. This is an mmo, you'd think people would understand this.

It's not about trying to speed run anything, it's about being heavily penalized for enjoying dungeons. They are always one of my favorite things about mmos and this game neutered them.

Again, there has got to be a middle ground between OP and worthless. Do you realize one fetch quest earns more exp than an entire dungeon? The exp wasn't nerfed, it was effectively removed.

Spare us the speed running nonsense. That is no reason to remove exp gains from group content. This isn't balance, it's the complete failure to do so. This game might be in trouble if they are really going to push the lowest common denominator angle.

I mean, why not just remove exp from everything and have us level on a clock?
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vanity wrote: »
    Stop complaining and try to enjoy a game that doesn't need to be completed in 10 days. Or 3 months, at that.

No need for outright fanboyism here, Vanity. The dungeon nerf doesn't do anything to how quickly you can level, it just funnels you down fewer paths and was a poor design decision to have nerfed to uselessness just before launch. People enjoy MMO's in different ways, just because you like to take it slowly doesn't mean everyone else does. No reason to act like you've got a superior playstyle because it's yours :p .

-Signed, VR1 and in my veteran faction content. :)
    Vanity, please stop white knighting. It doesn't help anyone or anything. There are people who like to group up for more challenging content. This is an mmo, you'd think people would understand this.

This isn't balance, it's the complete failure to do so. This game might be in trouble if they are really going to push the lowest common denominator angle.

I mean, why not just remove exp from everything and have us level on a clock?

The lowest common denominator angle is already being pushed heavily with huge nerfs to things like the main story quests, addons/UI information from stock features, etc. Options/choice and difficulty have been being gutted from the game for months. With the direction they've been trying to head, I'd be kind of not so surprised if they took your last suggestion to heart.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on April 2, 2014 1:15PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
  • Menacer
    Menacer
    ✭✭
    I have to say it all makes sense now. Hardly anybody wants to run dungeons while leveling. And know I know why. The experience is just a total joke. And to the person that said dungeon runs are only for gear..... Uh, well that works when you are max level. Never when you are leveling, thats just terrible.

I really like the game, but things like making monsters in dungeons worth pretty much no experience is just mindboggling. If people were using it to grind at MAX dang level, why the heck nerf the pre VR dungeons?

And really I HATE when games force you to play ONE WAY. And thats what all these exp nerfs do. They FORCE you to grind quests. Which frankly has been done in almost every MMO in the past 10 years. It just gets old. And is very disheartening.

Menacer
  • Menacer
    Menacer
    ✭✭
    Dungeons have quests..

And yellowbone, you used quests as in plural. No, dungeons have 1 QUEST. I have not finished one dungeon with more than one quest. Maybe at VR+ they do, doubt it, but possible.

Menacer
    Edited by Menacer on April 2, 2014 4:16PM
  • lfseeney_ESO
    lfseeney_ESO
    ✭✭
    Many Dev ideas are odd in the game, the limited bank storage in a game with a large crafting system is one, needing 50 folks in order to sell things, and this are among the oddest IMHO
  • WRCousCous
    WRCousCous
    ✭✭
    Menacer wrote: »
    I have to say it all makes sense now...

And really I HATE when games force you to play ONE WAY. And thats what all these exp nerfs do. They FORCE you to grind quests. Which frankly has been done in almost every MMO in the past 10 years. It just gets old. And is very disheartening.

Menacer

Is this really true? I haven't played an MMO since vanilla WoW, but from what I remember grinding quests wasn't the issue, it was that you had to grind mobs to gain levels in between the too-few quests available in any given zone.

Personally, I've found it refreshing that in ESO you can link quests for leveling all the way through a zone. I don't feel that it is harming my experience at all.

As to the OP and this thread: I suspect they'll adjust dungeon exp to hit a sweet mid-point (maybe part of the current ongoing maintenance and update). That being said... quit with the 'white-knighting,' fanboy, and other such ridiculous accusations for people that like the game. A balanced reaction is called for: this isn't the worst game, and it isn't flawless. Like any other game (MMO or not), it is in early release, and will need some updating. If this surprises you... well, I don't know what to say. But don't act like the game is dead, that is as ridiculous as someone saying the game is perfect.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭

So there's a patch today and no mention of allowing exp gains from kills in dungeons. We actually have an mmo that removes exp when you tackle group challenges.

This is kind of a disaster. Many people will be very put off by this once they realize what's going on.
    Menacer wrote: »
    I really like the game, but things like making monsters in dungeons worth pretty much no experience is just mindboggling.

It really is mind boggling. What in the world are they thinking?
    Edited by Gohlar on April 2, 2014 5:52PM
  • Krohm
    Krohm
    ✭✭
    As of right now the only reason I see to do the dungeons is for the undaunted xp, loot is ok but getting 0 - 3 xp per kill is bad, if I wanna grind dungeons it should be a viable way to level. Hopefully they fix this soon.
  • rideh
    rideh
    As a healer I've had a lot of issues getting my healing skills / weapons to level. People aren't interested in running dungeons with me due to low xp and when I do hit new dungeons all my time has been spent doing dps so I'm rusty again.
  • Myopinion
    Myopinion
    Vanity, please stop white knighting....?

It is childish to accuse someone of white knighting simply because they present a reasonably thought-out explanation as to the reason for a particular set of circumstances. One might even think that there is a hidden agenda to throwing out the accusation of white knighting; i.e. fear that the explanation may be correct

• Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Myopinion wrote: »
    Vanity, please stop white knighting....?

It is childish to accuse someone of white knighting simply because they present a reasonably thought-out explanation as to the reason for a particular set of circumstances. One might even think that there is a hidden agenda to throwing out the accusation of white knighting; i.e. fear that the explanation may be correct

It would probably help if you read the posts in question in full. Giving an explanation is one thing, the post I was responding to was another. I'm not alone here...

But yes, I do fear the explanation is correct as that would mean the dev team is having major problems. If they had to remove exp from group content because they couldn't balance it, that would be a tremendously bad sign.

Could you imagine if this is the case? I certainly hope it isn't. I mean if they can't even get exp to work that is not exactly a good sign of things to come.
    Edited by Gohlar on April 2, 2014 6:30PM
  • Ekhhs
    Ekhhs
    Why?

This makes no sense to me. In the world at level 13, killing enemies gives me anywhere from 50-100ish exp. When I'm grouped in a dungeon...3 exp per kill.

Why is dungeon exp nonexistent? I certainly hope it's a bug. This really hurts playing as a group.

Uh, sharing is caring. It could be worse, what if you were only rewarded 2 experience per kill? <slaps cheeks in shock!>
  • yodoberman
    I dont know why, maybe i missed some quests, maybe i killed to little, but iam a bit behind on the quest levels. Iam lvl18 and iam doing lvl19-20 quests. At this point its hard for me to kill (iam 100% healer spec). Would be nice if i could do some dungeon runs to catch up. At this point iam running after other players letting them do the work for me, getting less and less exp.

Why does everybody has to pay becouse there are people grinding dungeons?
  • JonathanJeweet
    yodoberman wrote: »
    I wondered this myself on several occasions when I heard an "exploit had been fixed". I am a tank not a healer, so I might not have the exact same issues as you do. At the moment my character is level 14, for the past 6 levels I have been lagging behind because overall my enemies just make short work of me if I engage them as the same level or lower. So it happens that I am now still working on lvl 9-11 quests. Right about now "an exploit" might be nice to use for a few minutes instead of farming quests (which is the exact type of levelling I get bored of really quickly. If only I could smith my way to level 30 with ease, spam dungeons to 50 in a matter of hours or something similar to make the endless quest grind and inventory hassle less unbearable..
  • alpinecruzereb17_ESO
    Have to agree with both sides a little. Vanity is correct i do not want people to just be busting dungeons all the time for xp but at the same time if they do so what the sooner they all rage about content and quit the better the community will be. I do find it a shame so many people whine this is the best early access i have ever played and i have played many. . . Many many.

If you can complain this hard and throw your toys out of the pram over some minor issues like "omg the xp isnt enough for me" then real life is going to be tough for you because its full of dissapointments lol. Enjoy what the game does have not dont just focus on the teething problems eh.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't get upset Alpine because the game has problems. If you want to take it personally and attempt some lame insults, that's your choice.

This game has a very broken formula. The higher the risk, the smaller the reward. The game will fail if they continue on this path.

Grouping up and steamrolling quests of trivial difficulty isn't fun for many, you need to understand this. People are asking to be able to play with their friends and progress. It doesn't need to be faster than questing, it just needs to be viable. Anyone who argues that grouping shouldn't be viable in an mmo, or wants to gloss over the issues and pretend it's all good, is being intentionally obtuse.
    yodoberman wrote: »

The only reason I can think of is the devs are taking feedback from the wrong people. It's a shame, the game has potential, but it seems like it's being buried. I find the questing so easy it feels like I'm just going through the motions. So dull.
    Edited by Gohlar on April 3, 2014 8:40PM
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    I'm dissapointet, full healer build... i mean the quests are easy enough, but while other chars run in a gruop and kill the mobs within 5 seconds I spend more than 30, and my mana is drained afterwards, as a healer it is vital for me to get good gear via dungeons and to get lvl, especcialy when my skills don't work on mobs in a particular questing area...
    The dungeons are fun, but the loot chance got major nerfs since beta and without the xp i fear higher questing areas...
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • Krohm
    Krohm
    ✭✭
    I've decided to treat them the same way I did Secret World, put in a ticket every day asking when its going to be fixed, I mean if I can group up and aoe grind zone mobs and level quick still then dungeon xp needs to be upped. Why should we be forced to just quest over and over like every other game and I like the quest in the game but you need breaks to do other stuff, there needs to be more then one way to level.
  • Menacer
    Menacer
    ✭✭
    Krohm wrote: »
    I've decided to treat them the same way I did Secret World, put in a ticket every day asking when its going to be fixed, I mean if I can group up and aoe grind zone mobs and level quick still then dungeon xp needs to be upped. Why should we be forced to just quest over and over like every other game and I like the quest in the game but you need breaks to do other stuff, there needs to be more then one way to level.

This... Is what I am going to do everyday now.

I really think Zenimax does not want you to roll an alt. You have to grind EVERY quest in all the other factions just to get to VR10. You can really only run each dungeon once, because after the first time you pretty much get NO experience.

And really if people can just grind mobs outside of dungeons, then why the crap can we not get some exp in dungeons for those of us that just like to run dungeons. The dungeons in this game are actually one of the most fun activities I have done. But really I have only run each one once. Because the loot is mediocre and you barely get any exp after the quest.

Get this fixed like meow Zeni

Menacer