The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game needs Anti-Cheat

Dren_Utogi
Dren_Utogi
✭✭✭
Game needs anti-cheat application, As posted in the other thread, the script people are using is giving them endless stamina and mana and endless shield rotation.
  • Foto1
    Foto1
    ✭✭✭✭
    he already is
    PC/EU CP 1200+
    Artaxerks stamina dk khajiit
    Wayna Qhapaq magicka dk argonian
    Rorekur stamina sorc orc
    Maria de Medici magicka sorc breton
    Cordeilla stamina warden wood elf
    Quienn Gwendolen magicka warden high elf
    Nefertari stamina necro khajiit
    Boadicea Icenian magicka templar dark elf
    Clarice de Medici healer nb breton
  • Mekie
    Mekie
    Dren_Utogi wrote: »
    Game needs anti-cheat application, As posted in the other thread, the script people are using is giving them endless stamina and mana and endless shield rotation.

Relax and enjoy your new avatar!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/635130/new-forum-avatars#latest
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this really a thing? "in the other thread" is not very helpful...
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am asking for more info because bugs like this make me want to play other games.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »

I doubt it.
    They moved stuff like health and resources to their end years ago as peoples were using third party programs to give themselves higher health pools or whatever.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N3CR01 wrote: »

I doubt it.
    They moved stuff like health and resources to their end years ago as peoples were using third party programs to give themselves higher health pools or whatever.

Without a dedicated cheat detector this can easily be circumvented by someone who really wants to. I have seen people rez themselves lately, Spawn inside enemy keeps without it being UA prior, and I have seen players once again go through walls.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rezzing yourself in Cyrodiil seems to depend on how you died. For instance, I know that if you die from fall damage then you can rez yourself, although I don't know if your location (such as inside a keep) can override that. I assume this is overridden if you've taken any recent PvP-related damage, but I don't know if taking damage from NPCs counts.

Going through keep walls seems to be a bug related to gap closers.

In short, I don't think those two things are necessarily evidence of using any cheat programs, but that's not to say that people might not be using exploits.

I only know about the self-rez after fall damage because I accidentally rode my mount off a tall ledge in the no-CP campaign while trying to ride from Chorrol to Vlastarus on a map where my faction didn't have squat, and the lack of the CP perk that reduces fall damage was surprisingly painful.

On the other hand, IIRC dying in the lava around Chorrol will send you back to a wayshrine at your faction's base, which makes sense given that self-rezzing in a lava fissure that you can't climb out of wouldn't be very nice.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Rezzing yourself in Cyrodiil seems to depend on how you died. For instance, I know that if you die from fall damage then you can rez yourself, although I don't know if your location (such as inside a keep) can override that. I assume this is overridden if you've taken any recent PvP-related damage, but I don't know if taking damage from NPCs counts.

In short, I don't think those two things are necessarily evidence of using any cheat programs, but that's not to say that people might not be using exploits.

I only know about the self-rez after fall damage because I accidentally rode my mount off a tall ledge in the no-CP campaign while trying to ride from Chorrol to Vlastarus on a map where my faction didn't have squat, and the lack of the CP perk that reduces fall damage was surprisingly painful.

On the other hand, IIRC dying in the lava around Chorrol will send you back to a wayshrine at your faction's base, which makes sense given that self-rezzing in a lava fissure that you can't climb out of wouldn't be very nice.

I have gotten people banned for doing that, and it was an option in cheat engine when I reported it way back, and there is a difference obviously between falling to your death, and rezzing mid battle after you died to multiple players. As for the keeps, I am talking about players who were outside the keep, then logged out, and then somehow logged back in and were in there. I have also seen people run around behind the gates of the scroll area, and they picked up the scroll while gates were closed, ignoring the instant death mechanic. As for the walls, there were no players around to gap close to, they went up and over the walls with a button click.

It is well documented there is loads of cheating in this game.
    Edited by Jammy420 on June 8, 2023 4:40PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »

I have gotten people banned for doing that, and it was an option in cheat engine when I reported it way back, and there is a difference obviously between falling to your death, and rezzing mid battle after you died to multiple players. As for the keeps, I am talking about players who were outside the keep, then logged out, and then somehow logged back in and were in there. I have also seen people run around behind the gates of the scroll area, while gates were closed, ignoring the instant death mechanic. As for the walls, there were no players around to gap close to, they went up and over the walls with a button click.

Thank you for clarifying what you were referring to. Those do sound highly suspicious at best.

To be honest, it sort of amazes me that some players can take a game so seriously that they'd be willing to cheat and risk a permanent ban. I mean, it's just a game; what does it really matter whether your faction takes a keep or not, or whether you get Emperor or not?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In Cyrodill, dying to PvP npc like resource or keep guards works like dying to players and you can only respawn at keeps or outposts or the base. Dying to fall damage or PvE enemies like in an delve or dolmen also fall damage count as PvE deaths and you can self-rez, note this does not work if you are in PvP combat and fall off the edge of the wall.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

In Cyrodill, dying to PvP npc like resource or keep guards works like dying to players and you can only respawn at keeps or outposts or the base. Dying to fall damage or PvE enemies like in an delve or dolmen also fall damage count as PvE deaths and you can self-rez, note this does not work if you are in PvP combat and fall off the edge of the wall.

I should have known about PvP NPCs, since I've died to resource guards enough times and had to rez back at a safe location.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have gotten people banned for doing that, and it was an option in cheat engine when I reported it way back, and there is a difference obviously between falling to your death, and rezzing mid battle after you died to multiple players. As for the keeps, I am talking about players who were outside the keep, then logged out, and then somehow logged back in and were in there. I have also seen people run around behind the gates of the scroll area, while gates were closed, ignoring the instant death mechanic. As for the walls, there were no players around to gap close to, they went up and over the walls with a button click.

I think it is important to point out that the necro ult insta resses people.

And the insta death for the scrolls is only applied to the force field thing around the scroll itself, as far as I know. As long as you are behind the outer gate before the gate closes, you are fine in there until you try to grab the scroll itself.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

And the insta death for the scrolls is only applied to the force field thing around the scroll itself, as far as I know. As long as you are behind the outer gate before the gate closes, you are fine in there until you try to grab the scroll itself.

I main a necro, so obviously I know that. They were alone. Middle of field. I was standing over them to record if they did it, and they did. And no I cant post it here, its naming and shaming.

They grabbed the scroll after the gates were closed and were fine. I got said person banned for that. So no, not possible.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I main a necro, so obviously I know that. They were alone. Middle of field. I was standing over them to record if they did it, and they did. And no I cant post it here, its naming and shaming.

They grabbed the scroll after the gates were closed and were fine. I got said person banned for that. So no, not possible.

For the scroll bit, that is exactly what I said. Trying to grab the scroll kills you.

If they had the scroll before the gates closed, they'd be fine. If they grabbed it afterwards, it is supposed to kill them.

But your original comment just said "running around behind the gates" which doesn't imply grabbing the scroll. I've run around behind the gates after they closed while collecting sky shards and books. One time even, I was behind the gates after a keep fell and was collecting a few eidetic books. Working on the book near the scroll and killing the guards, when my alliance retook the fallen keep and suddenly the scroll was available and right next to me. I took it and ran.
    Edited by jaws343 on June 8, 2023 3:56PM
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For the scroll bit, that is exactly what I said. Trying to grab the scroll kills you.

If they had the scroll before the gates closed, they'd be fine. If they grabbed it afterwards, it is supposed to kill them.

But your original comment just said "running around behind the gates" which doesn't imply grabbing the scroll. I've run around behind the gates after they closed while collecting sky shards and books. One time even, I was behind the gates after a keep fell and was collecting a few eidetic books. Working on the book near the scroll and killing the guards, when my alliance retook the fallen keep and suddenly the scroll was available and right next to me. I took it and ran.

Sorry for not being clear, they picked up scroll after closed, and laughed about it when called out.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no instant death mechanic behind enemy gate. This is a myth. I've been behind the gate when it closed and was still alive to tell the tale. Now, where there is an instant death mechanic is in the base itself. I was at AD gate (on EP) and tried climbing the rocks to get into the base... got very close to a ledge and bam! Dead.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I doubt it.

Without a dedicated cheat detector this can easily be circumvented by someone who really wants to. I have seen people rez themselves lately, Spawn inside enemy keeps without it being UA prior, and I have seen players once again go through walls.

There is (was?) an incredibly rare bug where you're allowed to rez yourself even while in combat with players/guards. Years ago it happened to Fengrush on one of his streams, it happened to me once, and it happened to a friend in group once. AFAIK what triggers it naturally is still largely unknown.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible the person who rezed by themselves was below level 50? I've been near a keep under 50, hit an ap tick after a while which leveled me up which automatically rezed me...
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alpheu5 wrote: »

I doubt it.

There is (was?) an incredibly rare bug where you're allowed to rez yourself even while in combat with players/guards. Years ago it happened to Fengrush on one of his streams, it happened to me once, and it happened to a friend in group once. AFAIK what triggers it naturally is still largely unknown.

People were doing it on purpose though, and zos banned them for it. Instead however they could just put a cheat detector in,
    Lumsdenml wrote: »

Is it possible the person who rezed by themselves was below level 50? I've been near a keep under 50, hit an ap tick after a while which leveled me up which automatically rezed me...

See edited response.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead however they could just put a cheat detector in,

I imagine that they would do so if they could figure out a way to detect actual cheats versus allowed behavior which merely looks like a cheat to players who don't know all the finer details about how things work, or behavior which might trigger the cheat detection inadvertently.

For example, a few years ago when guildmasters complained about highly suspicious selling and buying activity that they'd noticed while reviewing their guilds' sales, ZOS implemented some kind of logic to detect that type of activity and auto-ban the offenders, which resulted in quite a few players getting banned for what turned out to be legitimate activity, so they ended up getting unbanned after their cases were reviewed. That is to say, things are not always what they seem to observers who jump to conclusions, even when the observer is an algorithm that holds no prejudices against players of opposing factions. Programming an algorithm which can accurately auto-detect real cheating and properly distinguish it from allowed behavior is not necessarily as cut-and-dried and some people might think it should be.

And I'm not trying to imply that you don't know the finer details about how things work and have erroneously reported anyone for what you considered to be blatant cheating. But for every player who has reported an actual cheat, there could be dozens of other players who've erroneously reported what they thought was a cheat when in fact it was not a cheat at all.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead however they could just put a cheat detector in,

I imagine that they would do so if they could figure out a way to detect actual cheats versus allowed behavior which merely looks like a cheat to players who don't know all the finer details about how things work, or behavior which might trigger the cheat detection inadvertently.

For example, a few years ago when guildmasters complained about highly suspicious selling and buying activity that they'd noticed while reviewing their guilds' sales, ZOS implemented some kind of logic to detect that type of activity and auto-ban the offenders, which resulted in quite a few players getting banned for what turned out to be legitimate activity, so they ended up getting unbanned after their cases were reviewed. That is to say, things are not always what they seem to observers who jump to conclusions, even when the observer is an algorithm that holds no prejudices against players of opposing factions. Programming an algorithm which can accurately auto-detect real cheating and properly distinguish it from allowed behavior is not necessarily as cut-and-dried and some people might think it should be.

And I'm not trying to imply that you don't know the finer details about how things work and have erroneously reported anyone for what you considered to be blatant cheating. But for every player who has reported an actual cheat, there could be dozens of other players who've erroneously reported what they thought was a cheat when in fact it was not a cheat at all.

I imagine when they decided to do a lot of things client based, and some server, it became impossible or something. Still a shame this wasnt something in the game day one considering the huge pvp marketing they were doing for it.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anti cheat client side makes sure the client code hasn't been tampered with and users are not using software tricks. Although the latter is hard. The banning of one of the common input event handlers by ESO (it refuses to run if it is present now) also blocked a load of accessibility tools whilst the bad guys merely got the thing re-signed in another form. There is anti-cheat in ESO they just don't use brand name third party product. A lot of stuff is also server side and over time more moved that way (you can see this when the game lags and where the desync bugs are)

Stuff like being able to get into keeps via misplaced trees, the fact DKs have an infinite stamina generation trick (one well documented and used by loads of PvE builds) are game design. You fix those by.. fixing the game design. Other things like the fact you can (if you are clever) tell when there are sneaking people near you, are down to game design bugs and again you fix them by fixing the game.

Anti-cheat tech cannot magically fix design flaws. It can (at this point but not for much longer) detect people doing things like patching in automatic actions, stuff like aimbots on reaction shooters. All those DK's with infinite stamina are not cheating, they are using the game mechanics well in standard builds. It's no different to weaving or block cancelling - they are playing the game well.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭

Anti cheat client side makes sure the client code hasn't been tampered with and users are not using software tricks. Although the latter is hard. The banning of one of the common input event handlers by ESO (it refuses to run if it is present now) also blocked a load of accessibility tools whilst the bad guys merely got the thing re-signed in another form. There is anti-cheat in ESO they just don't use brand name third party product. A lot of stuff is also server side and over time more moved that way (you can see this when the game lags and where the desync bugs are)

Stuff like being able to get into keeps via misplaced trees, the fact DKs have an infinite stamina generation trick (one well documented and used by loads of PvE builds) are game design. You fix those by.. fixing the game design. Other things like the fact you can (if you are clever) tell when there are sneaking people near you, are down to game design bugs and again you fix them by fixing the game.

Anti-cheat tech cannot magically fix design flaws. It can (at this point but not for much longer) detect people doing things like patching in automatic actions, stuff like aimbots on reaction shooters. All those DK's with infinite stamina are not cheating, they are using the game mechanics well in standard builds. It's no different to weaving or block cancelling - they are playing the game well.

There's a new way someone was using and I already reported them for it
    Edited by Jamie_Aubrey on June 8, 2023 6:44PM
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    I won't say the name of the player but when he play with his sorc every crystal frag are instant. You can see him playing or ... in your death recap 3x4 instant frag with curse and mage wrath. I don't know about you guy's, but when I play with my sorc not every cast of Crystal are instant
  • tincanman
    tincanman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the calcs are server based now.

There are also a variety of automatic cheat detections in operation, one of which blew up spectacularly in the past and mistakenly banned a bunch of traders as gold sellers.

There's also a bunch of glitches and edge cases in game - for example if <50th lvl and you gain a level at the same time as killed (pvp), you will auto-revive on the spot with full resources.

If you really are sure you see someone cheating - and I mean really sure and not just ticked off because your ping failed or you got outplayed - then report it.

Anything else is overkill.

• React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get called a cheater or exploiter almost every single time I PVP. Very often the people making those accusations are the same people pressing one or two abilities every 10 seconds, holding block indefinitely while contributing nothing to a fight, or flat out completely avoiding fights in favor of simply sieging or following their faction to the next keep.

The "infinite sustain" comment is one I see often - when the reality is that it is essentially the easiest it has ever been to sustain at this point in time.

The other one I see is "you hit me with 10 abilities in one second, you're macroing/hacking!". I did actually get one of these players to explain to me what those 10 "abilities" were by showing me his CMX. Turned out those were 2 damage instances from a DW heavy, 2 damage instances from rending slashes, hemorrhaging, absorb stam glyph, sundered status proc, poison glyph, poisoned status proc, and a bash.

Combat has a lot of depth to it, and often uneducated or inexperienced players confuse mechanical skill with exploits or "cheats". These are the people that come to mind whenever I see a post like this.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Dren_Utogi
    Dren_Utogi
    ✭✭✭

if you scroll through the other actual script on github, it will make more sense. Every skill and bar swap automated using autohotkey
  • Dren_Utogi
    Dren_Utogi
    ✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    I get called a cheater or exploiter almost every single time I PVP. Very often the people making those accusations are the same people pressing one or two abilities every 10 seconds, holding block indefinitely while contributing nothing to a fight, or flat out completely avoiding fights in favor of simply sieging or following their faction to the next keep.

The "infinite sustain" comment is one I see often - when the reality is that it is essentially the easiest it has ever been to sustain at this point in time.

The other one I see is "you hit me with 10 abilities in one second, you're macroing/hacking!". I did actually get one of these players to explain to me what those 10 "abilities" were by showing me his CMX. Turned out those were 2 damage instances from a DW heavy, 2 damage instances from rending slashes, hemorrhaging, absorb stam glyph, sundered status proc, poison glyph, poisoned status proc, and a bash.

Combat has a lot of depth to it, and often uneducated or inexperienced players confuse mechanical skill with exploits or "cheats". These are the people that come to mind whenever I see a post like this.

this isn't about you .
  • Dren_Utogi
    Dren_Utogi
    ✭✭✭
    my biggest complaint is those who do no animation and run their entire 2 bars on you it even looks so broken and obvious.:(
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I have been playing this game since 1/1/15 and I think I've run into maybe 2 people who I thought were actually cheating. There are some VERY skilled players in this game, and a VERY steep learning curve. Both of which, when combined, look like cheating to people who don't understand. With out having access to the data that ZOS has, or unless we are sitting behind someone and watching what they are using, you can't actually know they are cheating. There are any number of things that could account for what you think is cheating... skill, lag, bug...
    Obituary: