The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Thanks for Sharp-as-Night

phaneub17_ESO
phaneub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I ended up renaming one of my Argonians to Dull-as-Day. They are egg brothers now.

I noticed there are two paths you can take to acquiring him in the public dungeon. If you go North he accompanies you and there are bigger trash mob packs; if you go West he doesn't follow you anymore, but you run into far less trash mobs. Both lead to the same ending so it's nice there's different ways to get there.
Edited by phaneub17_ESO on June 7, 2023 6:09AM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny... I was initially planning to create a Altmer Arcanist. However, before doing so, I got thinking... since I plan to use Sharp as my main companion, maybe I should create an Argonian instead. I've never created an Argonian before, and wasn't sure whether I'd like him or not... considering I'm not exactly a reptile lover. Yet, "Kills-with-Beam" turned out exceptionally well and I really hope I like the character long-term. If not, I've created a background story that will allow me to explain if I ever race change from Argonian to Altmer. His story involves an unfortunate run-in with a daedric prince in his youth that found him transformed from an Altmer into an Argonian. He's been searching for the knowledge to transform himself back ever since... thus him coming into the perview of H.Mora. :)
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The voice actor makes this perfect companion even better. I wonder if they sneaked in some Mass Effect easter eggs. :joy:
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So far the only one of toons to unlock companions is my Altmer sorc.... but I have an entire legion of Argonian healers, and I think they could use a friend.
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    The voice actor makes this perfect companion even better. I wonder if they sneaked in some Mass Effect easter eggs. :joy:

Hearing a voice similar to Garrus as you explore brings back fond memories. Almost makes me want to do another ME run!😀
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @phaneub17_ESO I love that you named your Argonian Dull-as-Day. This is perfection.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Also enjoying that every one is having fun with Sharp-As-Night. The new companions are so fun. And if you haven't seen this yet, we did put out a meet the character article about Sharp-As-Night.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Auzsi
    Auzsi
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    It's funny... I was initially planning to create a Altmer Arcanist. However, before doing so, I got thinking... since I plan to use Sharp as my main companion, maybe I should create an Argonian instead. I've never created an Argonian before, and wasn't sure whether I'd like him or not... considering I'm not exactly a reptile lover. Yet, "Kills-with-Beam" turned out exceptionally well and I really hope I like the character long-term. If not, I've created a background story that will allow me to explain if I ever race change from Argonian to Altmer. His story involves an unfortunate run-in with a daedric prince in his youth that found him transformed from an Altmer into an Argonian. He's been searching for the knowledge to transform himself back ever since... thus him coming into the perview of H.Mora. :)

Well the devs work hard to make if difficult to love argonians in this game, so better to prepare that race change token. Which is sad because argonians otherwise are awesome and provides a lots of cool and interesting role playing opportunity and character concept. Wish you better luck with them than i had. Lizard people needs some love.
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Auzsi wrote: »
    Well the devs work hard to make if difficult to love argonians in this game, so better to prepare that race change token. Which is sad because argonians otherwise are awesome and provides a lots of cool and interesting role playing opportunity and character concept. Wish you better luck with them than i had. Lizard people needs some love.
    Haha yea who uses Argonians in this game?
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if you're referring to the racial passives, but in ESO, they don't matter 99% of the time anyway. I'm OK with the increase to all three stats and the healing boost is also nice... and can't wait until I have to traverse water. ;)

My only concern is in the visual aesthetic. I tend to create attractive characters because even though I only look at their backs the majority of the time, when I do go into character screen and start screen, I have to see them. However, so far I think he looks pretty cool, and if I can just keep my OCD thoughts of, "Would people really rely on an Argonian to save the world?" thought process, I'll be fine. I could see most other races being held up as 'heroes' by most of Tamriel, but some races I think, especially Bosmer, Khajit and Argonians would be less so... due to many other races considering them just 'animals'.

However, perhaps that's why history (or at least Wiki) only remembers them as 'the vestige' and nothing more is know about them. Perhaps they WERE an Argonian?!? :D
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Einar_Hrafnarsson
    Einar_Hrafnarsson
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alpheu5 wrote: »

Dark Elfs use them... as farming tools.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also really happy we got him. He's almost exactly what I was looking for for one of my characters which is really nice considering they can be designed in any way. My character was looking for an argonian man who was a shadowscale/assassin, and Sharp is close enough to that. My character also likes fishing and is quite practical (not really into fashion, always keeps prepared, etc) so the fact that those personality traits match as well is nuts.

Personally I like to headcanon the companions as different people than who they officially are regardless, since I don't like to involve official characters with my own. So with companions, I change their names but keep significant traits like race. I appreciate the companions as they are actually designed though in terms of characterization and stories.

It's nice than I can headcanon Sharp with a different name and story (like being a shadowscale) but still get to take advantage of the fishing bonuses and stuff.

have a pic of my character and him, I've been taking a bunch while fishing
    dc1xrxqm35fa.png
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Auzsi
    Auzsi
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if you're referring to the racial passives, but in ESO, they don't matter 99% of the time anyway. I'm OK with the increase to all three stats and the healing boost is also nice... and can't wait until I have to traverse water. ;)

Maybe not for you. Healing boost is next to useless and completely out of place. The only good thing about them is the faster swimming. Lot's of players being driven away from argonians due to their racials and the devs does nohing about it, which is not OK. There was a reddit post about it few months ago. Glad you are enjoying them so far, i hope you will stick to them long enough, because they are awesome otherwise.
  • FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love Sharp so much, he's my favorite new character. I did his story on the PTS already the moment Necrom dropped I was there creating an Argonian Arcanist and make my way to the Necrom outlaw refuge entrance.

@ZOS_Kevin Will you guys do a Twitch interview with his voice actor please? I think he did a wonderful job with the role.
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't gotten Sharp yet but if he is even half as fun as Azandar I will be happy. I look forward to meeting him today.
    PCNA
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

giphy.gif
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    FayJolyn wrote: »
    I love Sharp so much, he's my favorite new character. I did his story on the PTS already the moment Necrom dropped I was there creating an Argonian Arcanist and make my way to the Necrom outlaw refuge entrance.

@ZOS_Kevin Will you guys do a Twitch interview with his voice actor please? I think he did a wonderful job with the role.

We can certainly pass this request on. Nothing planned right now, but you never know who might stop by an ESO Live in the future.
    Staff Post
  • Einar_Hrafnarsson
    Einar_Hrafnarsson
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

giphy.gif

I got one myself :) He is a Warden Healer and is known as : Heals-Wounded-Souls
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really silly and personal but I love Sharp so much for so many reasons.

Firstly, when the chapter was announced, I was really worried that there was going to be a lot of... well, Brown House-nosing in the quest writing, if you will, particularly given that the Telvanni in Morrowind and Skyrim were essentially comic relief. Even though I first learned about the details of Sharp's questline through the controversy, it was oddly reassuring that, given the subject matter, House Telvanni's mindset and its impact would be treated seriously.

Secondly, I was probably going to like the Argonian companion no matter what, but after several years of companions who were pleasant but that I didn't really find engaging, it was a bit disconcerting that Sharp and his questline could not have been a better fit for myself or my main character if they had been created in a lab for that purpose.

I mean, how do you explain this? Like someone read my mind.
    1a4u53qcchwc.pngvhur64ox8hmz.png

quyet4mi8dux.png

(I knew that Varla White/Forest Footpad Green/Book Cover Brown on Arvel's Ashland Attire was a common NPC dye combination but I literally thought "wouldn't it be funny if Federo was wearing the exact same outfit?" when I first did the quest on PTS.)

This isn't a spoiler, I'm just spoilering it because it's personal:
    I was going through a bad depressive episode at the end of April and I figured I'd do Sharp's questline on PTS, since there had been controversy about it and I wanted to see how it was originally before any changes were made. I pretty much instantly fell in love with the character. Thinking about... how happy my main character would be to meet him just really bolstered my mood. I even started writing, something I'd never done before; I hadn't realized how much I needed a creative outlet since I stopped modding.

I think that there was some stuff in the original iteration of the questline I would've kept, but I still really liked it (I did it on PTS after the changes and I'll be doing Sharp's last quest tonight).

I feel like I have a lot more to say but I'm having trouble putting my thoughts into words. Even if it's silly and sappy, I guess I just want to say thanks for including this companion.

• FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    FayJolyn wrote: »

We can certainly pass this request on. Nothing planned right now, but you never know who might stop by an ESO Live in the future.

Thanks so much, Kevin! That would be awesome! Cheers!

This isn't a spoiler, I'm just spoilering it because it's personal:
    I was going through a bad depressive episode at the end of April and I figured I'd do Sharp's questline on PTS, since there had been controversy about it and I wanted to see how it was originally before any changes were made. I pretty much instantly fell in love with the character. Thinking about... how happy my main character would be to meet him just really bolstered my mood. I even started writing, something I'd never done before; I hadn't realized how much I needed a creative outlet since I stopped modding.

I think that there was some stuff in the original iteration of the questline I would've kept, but I still really liked it (I did it on PTS after the changes and I'll be doing Sharp's last quest tonight).

I feel like I have a lot more to say but I'm having trouble putting my thoughts into words. Even if it's silly and sappy, I guess I just want to say thanks for including this companion.

I remember you and That feedback thread from the PTS. Despite the whole controversy that the questline began with, I personally consider the latter pages of that feedback thread where people where just sharing their thoughts and feelings as one of the real positives that came out of the whole PTS cycle. I just wanted to add that I have been feeling similar these last few weeks. I've been drawing and doodling in my free time. Als making an Argonian friend for Sharp and just having them interact. Sharp definitely opened up a creative window in my mind ever since I first finished his story on the PTS. Never really cared much for Argonians before. Their aesthetic just didn't appeal to me. But Sharp definitely shook things up. I just adore him. So ehh, virtual High Five! o/

Yay for all the Sharp appreciators here.
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like Sharpy - he has a lovely voice and doesn't say such dumb stuff like Bastian does. I love gathering resources and Sharp seems to enjoy it when I do which is a plus.
    Also enjoying that every one is having fun with Sharp-As-Night. The new companions are so fun. And if you haven't seen this yet, we did put out a meet the character article about Sharp-As-Night.

Could you please ask if we can lose the constant Yah! Hup! Yah! Yah! when riding though, please. Pretty please with sweetrolls. Either give us a toggle off option for riding noise or just stop giving the companions the Yah! Yah! stuff. It's so annoying when I have this constant mount bullying going on behind me. ALL the companions do it and I really wish they'd stop - it's like every couple of seconds.

Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I think they really nailed it with Sharp! Personally, he is the one I can relate to the most, and every time we arrive in a city and he says, "Ugh, people!" I can't help but smile.
  • TheMarbleNest
    TheMarbleNest
    ✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    Either give us a toggle off option for riding noise

This is the only acceptable means of approaching a problem only some people have and not all.

Personally, it doesn't bother me - though I do find it funny how often it happens while we're sprinting of all things. I like hearing my companion in general, and at least with Sharp and Isobel, I haven't noticed them doing it enough to be bothersome.

I acknowledge some people have an issue with it though, so having a separate riding toggle... sound... something or another for companions, with frequent/medium/low/off, would be nice as an option to make sure both types of people are happy.

--
    On topic: I absolutely adore Sharp, possibly even more than Isobel - and that's a tough thing to accomplish, since she's been my favorite for a long time!

It's fun listening to his commentary, some of what he says ("ugh, people" when going into town - yeah buddy same) is relatable af, and he walks that fine line between aloof and awkward at times, which just makes me melt. I only have gotten his first quest done so far, but I appreciate the subject matter being handled with tact and respect thus far, and look forward to his future quests - and k-wording the Reformer.

Plus, he seems like the best companion for me and my gameplay overall. Most of his rapport comes from stuff I just naturally do while exploring, and I cannot tell you how much I love having a companion who enjoys fishing. That's my favorite activity in-game, so easy rapport gain AND I get a fishing buddy who talks about how fun and relaxing fishing is. Love it!
  • SatanicSister
    SatanicSister
    ✭✭✭
    I love Sharp. I can relate to him a bit and his personality is a lot like mine. Thanks to him, I've taken up fishing (I thought it was boring and IC/Cyrodiil aside, I've not fished in Tamriel before). His VA is also spot-on and has a very relaxing voice.

I would change one thing though. I would love to see him fishing together with me instead of just awkwardly standing behind me.

e7yrde10cogz.png
    "If we are going to play the waiting game, the guy who has been around for 10000 years is going to win."
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would change one thing though. I would love to see him fishing together with me instead of just awkwardly standing behind me.

THIS! Oh yeah, this would be great, even if it's just animation, it would be cool every time i get out the rod, Sharp does the same.

Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    omg I love Sharp.

I always thought that Bastian was my bro for life, but I may have to reconsider that. Sharp is just so well done.

I love his voice lines ("ugh, people" when walking into cities), I love his actor (I can ride around with Garrus again!), and I even think he loves me back! I don't know what it is, but it seems that I'm always in one of his "visit this zone to get a rapport boost," so it feels like every time I log on I just get the rapport bump. It's almost like he's just happy to see me again.

His story is also looking really good too. I like the Companions with heavier stories. It makes them easier to empathize with.

Awesome job with this Companion, team. Feels good to be roaming Tamriel with the best sniper in the galaxy again!
    oww3om1zk6gu.png
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finished Sharp's storyline and I love him. Such a great character! I really enjoyed his personality, his voice and as some one who didn't like companions very much I may be a changed woman.
    I agree with others in the thread, he needs a fishing rod when we go fishing together. It would be so cute.
    (Also I love his pet Vvardvark when he's chilling in my house.)

5phhpq4smy24.jpeg
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got Sharp on the weekend and 100% agree with the statements here. Definitely my favourite companion so far. I love his voice and his quips are just about perfect.
    PC - NA
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's just me, and having created my first ever Argonian character to pair with Sharp, I can't help but notice a lot more Argonian players running around lately. It's probably just me as I never paid attention to Argonians before, but now that I AM one, it seems I see Argonians more frequently.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2W0LRpO.png

I had my doubts at first... but I'm really happy with Sharp. A fellow Warden with whom I can defend the forests of Tamriel with :) He's a great character, I love his voice, he's funny, he likes the simple things in ESO life,... He's even helped me get over a few bad habits I've acquired :D

And he's also helped me out with a certain achievement:

69up5V3.png

So yeah, big thank you to ZOS for this wonderful companion. He's perfect :)

PS:
    43J4Mqk.png

I'm an arachnophobe, and I love him even more now :D
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finished Sharp's storyline and I love him. Such a great character! I really enjoyed his personality, his voice and as some one who didn't like companions very much I may be a changed woman.
    I agree with others in the thread, he needs a fishing rod when we go fishing together. It would be so cute.
    (Also I love his pet Vvardvark when he's chilling in my house.)

5phhpq4smy24.jpeg

Nice idea that fishing rod !

Perhaps already thought out on the drawing table of ZOS to add in the "Customised Actions" besides the already existing Mining, Plant Collecting and Woodcutting (in the Collections menu).
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU