The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

is eso stealing fanart?

kumenit_taeynav
kumenit_taeynav
✭✭✭✭
I'm gonna start this off by saying I've just learned about this today and this is a very new situation, like within the past hour or so of me posting here. as of now I don't think the eso team even knows about the situation or has had time to come up with a proper response. i think its something people should be aware of and on the lookout for.
it seems as though the eso team has stolen the fanart from artist going by relan-daevath depicting Sotha Sil and used it for their Mercymother Body Art without asking for permission or giving credit! i dont know if this was intentionally stolen or perhaps the eso team simply mistook it for canon depictions of the tribunal from the actual games and just decided to use it.
i would very much like to see the response from the eso team and what they can do to make amends with the original artist, relan-daevath.

here is a link to the original fanart from relan-daevath on tumblr, the post is dated to July 19th, 2020.
https://www.tumblr.com/relan-daevath/624076534773366784/vivec-sotha-sil-almalexia-almsivi-to-you

and heres a link to the artists initial response which was posted just today on April 9th
https://www.tumblr.com/relan-daevath/714132763526217728/hm-well-i-am-a-bit-shocked-19-jule-2020-i
  • nirnroot_llama
    nirnroot_llama
    Soul Shriven
    Saw this, as well. They really should take those tattoos off the crown store immediately.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the art based on? It's conceivable that both that and the skin were referencing some old Morrowind concept art.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is unlikely to be considered stealing as that is merely a style, not an actual design that is similar. I doubt that is the first time that style has ever been used to start with let alone copyrighted or even copyrightable by anyone.

• LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin If this is true, it could be trouble.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Liedeke
    Liedeke
    ✭✭✭
    That is disappointing. I hope ZOS responds to this and has a proper explanation and apology for the artist. This is not a good look for ZOS to say the least.

• Liedeke
    Liedeke
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    It is unlikely to be considered stealing as that is merely a style, not an actual design that is similar. I doubt that is the first time that style has ever been used to start with let alone copyrighted or even copyrightable by anyone.

They traced it at the very least, it's not just the style, you can lay the original over the tattoo and it matches up pretty much perfectly.
    kr0y4i7e63zj.jpg
  • kumenit_taeynav
    kumenit_taeynav
    ✭✭✭✭

its not merely about the style, the design itself is lifted from the fanart and copied into the game. the artist provides comparisons in the tumblr post talking about their stolen art
  • deGarcia
    deGarcia
    ✭✭✭

This isn't just the art style, it's 1:1 copied Sotha Sil fanart that's sold as Almalexia-inspired tattoos. You can see here > https://twitter.com/_sphynx7/status/1645077426274287617 < that it's not just similar, but is the same thing.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A lot of people are tagging ZOS about this on twitter, including the OG artist. I hope it gets sorted properly soon because this is a really bad image for ZOS to have.
  • fjord55b14_ESO
    fjord55b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Wow… this is really messed up. It’s not even like, inspiration they took- it’s straight up copy pasted. [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 11, 2023 1:50PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is shocking. Thank you for posting this here.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • hexnotic
    hexnotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    the tattoos don’t even make sense… they are called mercy mother body art but only have sotha sil depictions in the body markings. seems like outsourced work that didn’t go through any qc. rip
  • kumenit_taeynav
    kumenit_taeynav
    ✭✭✭✭
    hexnotic wrote: »
    the tattoos don’t even make sense… they are called mercy mother body art but only have sotha sil depictions in the body markings.

in my humble opinion i think that it might be best if the devs created their own almalexia art to replace the stolen sotha sil art
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @kumenit_taeynav Absolutely. I bet what happened is that someone, maybe a contractor, was tasked with this and just nabbed something off google search thinking it was official art and called it a day. The fact that the wrong member of the Tribunal is depicted is enough of a red flag on its own. This was not checked over by ANYONE before it was chucked into the game.

As a lore nerd and someone who likes to support independent artists, I am doubly peeved about this and I shall continue to raise a stink on Twitter about it until something is done.
    Edited by LukosCreyden on April 9, 2023 6:21PM
  • kumenit_taeynav
    kumenit_taeynav
    ✭✭✭✭
    pa4xez89m2mx.jpg
    why not replace it with the tattoos og Almalexia had back in the Tribunal dlc from tes3? itd go well with the replica mask and her outfit which are both available in the same crown crates as the tats were dicussing here
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it seems as though the eso team has stolen the fanart from artist going by relan-daevath depicting Sotha Sil and used it for their Mercymother Body Art without asking for permission or giving credit! i dont know if this was intentionally stolen or perhaps the eso team simply mistook it for canon depictions of the tribunal from the actual games and just decided to use it.
    i would very much like to see the response from the eso team and what they can do to make amends with the original artist, relan-daevath.

I also heard about this, and find it really upsetting on behalf of the artist. The art was posted on tumblr and it clearly had the artist's signature on it, so I can't see how they might have easily made that mistake. The other weird thing is that although the marking's name references Almalexia, it's clearly Sotha Sil who is depicted, so this makes it seem there was no evaluation in the process of creating these markings (that are sold for real money in the store, no less).
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh my!

You can see direct comparison here

https://imgur.io/8CrIFnQ?r

It's a direct copy and paste...my teachers would not approve of this
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matter will likely be handed internally and we wont see the results, [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 11, 2023 1:52PM
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://imgur.io/a/TzhULpy

Color coordination to show it again was copy and paste project.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @kumenit_taeynav Absolutely. I bet what happened is that someone, maybe a contractor, was tasked with this and just nabbed something off google search thinking it was official art and called it a day. The fact that the wrong member of the Tribunal is depicted is enough of a red flag on its own. This was not checked over by ANYONE before it was chucked into the game.

As a lore nerd and someone who likes to support independent artists, I am doubly peeved about this and I shall continue to raise a stink on Twitter about it until something is done.

It concerns me where was the quality control
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    Matter will likely be handed internally and we wont see the results, [snip]

There has to be something public about this or else there's going to be this fear that fanart = could be stolen by ZOS.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 11, 2023 1:53PM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Animar111
    Animar111
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people spent a lot of cash on crown crates to acquire that tattoo…..?
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oof
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the art based on? It's conceivable that both that and the skin were referencing some old Morrowind concept art.

From what I can tell, the style is based on Morrowind Concept Art but, I think that the actual details might be original to the fan art.

Here's the page from 2020

https://www.tumblr.com/relan-daevath/624076534773366784/vivec-sotha-sil-almalexia-almsivi-to-you

Here are some examples from UESP of the similar Morrowind Concept Art:

MW-concept-Saint_Seryn.jpg

MW-concept-Saint_Aralor.jpg

MW-concept-Vivec.jpg

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Concept_Art

Reverse image searches for it don't turn up many results outside of tumblr which makes it harder for it to be an honest mistake.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

From what I can tell, the style is based on Morrowind Concept Art but, I think that the actual details might be original to the fan art.

MW-concept-Vivec.jpg

Reverse image searches for it don't turn up many results outside of tumblr which makes it harder for it to be an honest mistake.

The entire thing (not the art style obviously, you're right) is original to the fanart. If you check the details you can see that the body markings and the original art are straight-up the same exact thing.
    Edited by Soarora on April 10, 2023 12:49AM
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »

MW-concept-Vivec.jpg

The entire thing is original to the fanart. If you check the details you can see that the body markings and the original art are straight-up the same exact thing.

I went with might because I can't guarantee 100% that the visuals aren't off some concept art I'm unaware of. None of the reverse image searches I ran showed the elements in the fan art elsewhere in Elder Scrolls related materials but, that isn't always perfect . (A few years back I incorrectly stated that a developer did something badly based off of years of posts from various people that turned out to be inaccurate so I now try to avoid saying developers definitely did x or y based on things from when I wasn't actively paying attention)
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copyright on Elder Scrolls is owned by Zenimax/Bethesda.
    Someone may create tattoos for personal use if this is tolerated by the copyright holders, but he does not have any copyright on them, as this is hold by the companies.

Sotha Sil is integral part of Elder Scrolls lore and Artwork, so he has no right to complain.
    The violation imho was done by the self-proclaimed artist, who used the artwork and lore of Zenimax as inspiration for his tattoos.

Btw. I'm not whiteknighting Zenimax, in contrast lately write pretty critical and even play Fallout 76 more often than ESO meanwhile, still copyright is copyright, wheather you like it or not.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on April 10, 2023 1:00AM
  • Animar111
    Animar111
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone may create tattoos for personal use if this is tolerated by the copyright holders, but he does not have any copyright on them, as this is hold by the companies.

Sotha Sil is integral part of Elder Scrolls lore and Artwork, so he has no right to complain.
    The violation imho was done by the self-proclaimed artist, who used the artwork and lore of Zenimax as inspiration for his tattoos.

Btw. I'm not whiteknighting Zenimax, in contrast lately write pretty critical and even play Fallout 76 more often than ESO meanwhile, still copyright is copyright, wheather you like it or not.

So what does this mean…? Does it mean that they can use any fan art and sell it without even telling the artist.

Or is fan Art not allowed…..?

Because I’d be pretty surprised if I did a design using eso characters as inspiration and then saw it for sale on the crown store.
    Edited by Animar111 on April 10, 2023 1:13AM
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Animar111 wrote: »

So what does this mean…? Does it mean that they can use any fan art and sell it without even telling the artist.

it means he can use ESO grafics in unmodified or modied form for personal use like a personal desktop wallpaper or as tattoo, but does not have any property rights on the material he uses. So he cannot complain if anyone uses it again, as the only owner is the copyright holder.
    Afaik he even had to ask the copyright holder if he may use and alter the material, before he had created the tattoos, as they are not only visible for him personally, but displayed in public. So I think he violated the copyright. A company certainly will not make a big fuzz about it, as it counts as "peanuts", but if he starts to suddenly claim intellectual property on this copyrighted material, it might become a case for the lawyers.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on April 10, 2023 1:21AM
  • Animar111
    Animar111
    ✭✭✭✭
    [quo
    Animar111 wrote: »

it means he can use ESO grafics in unmodified or modied form for personal use like a personal desktop wallpaper or as tattoo, but does not have any property rights on the material he uses. So he cannot complain if anyone uses it again, as the only owner is the copyright holder.
    Afaik he even had to ask the copyright holder if he may use and alter the material, before he had created the tattoos, as they are not only visible for him personally, but displayed in public. So I think he violated the copyright. A company certainly will not make a big fuzz about it, as it counts as "peanuts", but if he starts to suddenly claim intellectual propety on this copyrighted material, it might become a case for the lawyers.

So all fan artists work can be used and sold without them knowing……I see. Thankyou for that information.
    Edited by Animar111 on April 10, 2023 1:19AM