Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The 25 crown crate offer

pklemming
pklemming
✭✭✭✭✭
Encouraging people to gamble is never a good thing. Putting a unique poly with 25 crown crates is.... well... below you. Gambling can be a serious addiction affecting people's lives and that of their loved ones. You don't do what you just did, it is bordering reprehensible.

"Buy this polymorph. Tell, you what, we will give you these loot boxes with it too, but you don't need to open them".

"It would be a shame if you didn't, though, right? You never know what you may get".

"That was fun, wasn't it? All those cards".

"What, you didn't get what you want, well, I just happen to be selling some more of those boxes. If you buy some you may get it this time".

I thought Microsoft was supposed to reign you in. Make you provide alternate means to get items in game through endeavours, or similar.

I get you want money. Don't encourage people in to gambling in order to get it.

[edited for bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 2, 2023 5:10PM
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bet they will relocate this thread to the crown store subforum as well. Where people who are critical of these sort of practices don't come.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I saw it the other way around, 8000 crowns for 25 crates is about right price wise compared to a 15 crate pack, you save 330 Crowns difference and get an ugly polymorph to go along with it with no RNG tied to that portion. Other polymorphs that are purchasable with Crowns (thus cannot be purchased with Seals of Endeavors anyway) range from 1000 to 2000 Crowns. Even at the lowest 1000 crowns, you're getting an extra 10 crates for 2000 crowns which is a little under 40% discount per crate to crowns ratio?
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I saw it the other way around, 8000 crowns for 25 crates is about right price wise compared to a 15 crate pack, you save 330 Crowns difference and get an ugly polymorph to go along with it with no RNG tied to that portion. Other polymorphs that are purchasable with Crowns (thus cannot be purchased with Seals of Endeavors anyway) range from 1000 to 2000 Crowns. Even at the lowest 1000 crowns, you're getting an extra 10 crates for 2000 crowns which is a little under 40% discount per crate to crowns ratio?

preach it teddy
    at a place nobody knows
  • Animar111
    Animar111
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good deal I don’t see the problem 25 crate bundle and a guaranteed polymorph that’s awesome by the way reminds me of that horror film THE RING…..

Just think it’s the usual case of trying to find the negative out of a positive.
    Edited by Animar111 on April 1, 2023 7:44AM
  • Liguar
    Liguar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Animar111 wrote: »
    I thought it was a good deal I don’t see the problem 25 crate bundle and a guaranteed polymorph that’s awesome by the way reminds me of that horror film THE RING…..

Just think it’s the usual case of trying to find the negative out of a positive.

There is no try.

It is about putting a polymorph behind a crate bundle.

If you love the "fun surprise mechanic" of loot boxes you don't see a problem, but some people don't want to participate in crate mechanics, at all, ever.

Whether it's because they think loot boxes are an unethical monetization practice or or because they feel personally susceptible to loot box mechanics doesn't matter. It is something that is associated with problematic behaviors.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the polymorph, but I'm not buying 25 crates to get. Put in as a separate offer available through crowns at a reasonable price and I'd probably buy it.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with loot boxes, but I do have a problem with combo deals. If I want to buy a product, I want to buy EXACTLY that product and not a bunch of stuff that contains the item I want.
    And it doesn't matter how many crowns you save comapred to the normal price of the boxes. If you don't want the boxes, you don't SAVE money, you SPEND money for stuff you don't want. Just replace the crown crates with any other item from the corwn store and find out it it is still a good deal. Let's say Personality + 80 Crown Lesson: Mount Speed for 6000 crowns. You save 2000 crowns compared to the regular price! Insane deal, or?
    Edited by thorwyn on April 1, 2023 8:28AM
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it europe they outlawed lootboxes, or do i have that wrong?
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it europe they outlawed lootboxes, or do i have that wrong?

Belgium has it outlawed, players from there don't have the option to purchase Crown Crates.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #ESOFAM is the only family where "family members" nickel and dime others while encouraging them to gamble.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    I have no problem with loot boxes, but I do have a problem with combo deals. If I want to buy a product, I want to buy EXACTLY that product and not a bunch of stuff that contains the item I want.
    And it doesn't matter how many crowns you save comapred to the normal price of the boxes. If you don't want the boxes, you don't SAVE money, you SPEND money for stuff you don't want. Just replace the crown crates with any other item from the corwn store and find out it it is still a good deal. Let's say Personality + 80 Crown Lesson: Mount Speed for 6000 crowns. You save 2000 crowns compared to the regular price! Insane deal, or?

I mean, there are already dozens of bundles in the store as it is. E.g. I'd love the Divine Persecution outfit style from the Summerset Collector's bundle, and nothing else. Yet I'd have to pay for it. And that includes gambling crates as well.
    Not to mention all the arms packs. What if I just want the shield?
    Or the full Appearance Change token I have to buy when I just want to change my hair color.

I get it's upsetting for a lot of people because they were looking forward to that polymorph, but there's really nothing new here. Sadly that ship has sailed a long time ago ...
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The polymorph doesn't really bother me as much as potentially introducing people to crown crates who have either not used them or intentionally stayed away from them. I have addictions, though, luckily it is not gambling. Staying away from them can be extremely hard at times.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of people I see around that have no problem with crates is alarming. Anyway, no matter how you see it -- the poly being locked behind this deal is very shady indeed. Seeing how most cool things end up in the crown store anyway, I never expect much from ZOS, but this is yet another low. They can do better.
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The monetization in this makes me really depressed, to see the game I love so much being exposed to predatory gambling mechanics and FOMO monetization strategies. I truly appreciate the work that the dev's put in to the game, I just really wish they'd change their ways when it comes to the Crown Store.
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game is always having more and more bad things in the crown store, the monetization in this game is just everywhere for everything. I don't understand how people don't see any problem with the crowns crate in general but more with this combo of an item linked to a mega pack of crates.

But when you see people buying all the things that come in the crown store you understand there is nothing to save in this game (and community) when it come to the cashshop... I saw so much of this new (ugly) polymorph when it appeared
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amphithoe wrote: »
    The monetization in this makes me really depressed, to see the game I love so much being exposed to predatory gambling mechanics and FOMO monetization strategies. I truly appreciate the work that the dev's put in to the game, I just really wish they'd change their ways when it comes to the Crown Store.
    THIS! I think I'm very close to getting the hammer because I was pretty vocal about it in the past. I used to play all kinds of mmo games, GW2, WoW, FFXIV.. but mostly WoW, in the end ESO is the only one that I actually kept, it is a game I truly love, every time I come back after a small break - I get a lot of good feelings, some that I can't describe, it's truly a special game, and to see my favorite game have things like this saddens me greatly.
  • Liguar
    Liguar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tensar wrote: »
    I don't understand how people don't see any problem with the crowns crate in general but more with this combo of an item linked to a mega pack of crates.

I don't like loot boxes in general, but I think this is worse because of what pklemming wrote.
    pklemming wrote: »
    The polymorph doesn't really bother me as much as potentially introducing people to crown crates who have either not used them or intentionally stayed away from them.

It's an icebreaker.
    Edited by Liguar on April 1, 2023 11:49AM
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem is that players are buying Crowns and as long as they do I dont think anything will change much in Crownstore.

If players stoped buying Crowns they would stop creating new skins, mounts etc for only Crownstore.

Because thats all there is in Crownstore, cosmetics, dlc and xp scrolls.

You dont need to buy it to play the game.

If there was special weapons, gear, buffs in the crates i would understand why so many people are crying about it.
    Edited by XSTRONG on April 1, 2023 3:36PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This. I used to be happy spending money but the crown store has been getting worse and so have the changes to the game… but maybe it’s always been this bad and I was blind. I feel pity for and frustration with people who don’t see that yet.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Crown Store is 85% cosmetic, 15% to speed things up, 0% pay to win and 0% pay to play. Yet people are always crying and mourning about it.

You have no idea of how fair this system is compared to what other games have, you always only want to have things for next to no cost or even free. You should be thankful that the shop is not as inhuman as it could be. Go and have a look at the monetization of other games and maybe you will start to understand.
    I'm but a sarcastic beef jerky. Irony and cynicism are my parents. You've been warned.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    The Crown Store is 85% cosmetic, 15% to speed things up, 0% pay to win and 0% pay to play. Yet people are always crying and mourning about it.

You have no idea of how fair this system is compared to what other games have, you always only want to have things for next to no cost or even free. You should be thankful that the shop is not as inhuman as it could be. Go and have a look at the monetization of other games and maybe you will start to understand.

Just because it could be worse does not mean we need to settle with what we have when we could have better, don’t invalidate those who are unhappy.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There is the crown store, and there are the gamble boxes. I'm more or less fine with the crown store: you know what you're buying and you get what you pay for. Gamble boxes are predatory monetization with a great risk for people with reduces impulse control. There is a reason that the gambling industry in most modern societies is very strictly regulated.
    Edited by Snamyap on April 1, 2023 1:16PM
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »

Just because it could be worse does not mean we need to settle with what we have when we could have better, don’t invalidate those who are unhappy.

You're free to be as unhappy as you like but people make it sound that the Crown Store is pure cruelty and spite while it's nothing being even needed to play the game. Having a bit more common sense what they're really talking about is my advice.
    I'm but a sarcastic beef jerky. Irony and cynicism are my parents. You've been warned.
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they have been predatory before, offering respec scrolls for real money when you can do it in game for free by using gold even having vamp and ww in the crown store is predatory imo, you can ask someone to bite for free.

I agree with OP, this "offer" is predatory on those that have gambling addictons, buying a collectors pack is completely different to offering a poly most of the games population has been wanting with the opening of crown crates. there is a reason loot boxes have been banned in a few countries!

its starting to look like ESO is on that aggressive monetization people have been talking about for years! i would have rather bought the poly separately or had a chance to buy with endeavours!

• A_Cats_Tail
    A_Cats_Tail
    ✭✭
    I'll never understand why people in this community are so emotionally attached to cosmetics. No one is forcing you to buy some useless cosmetic, can you not live peacefully without having a means to acquire it? My favorite is people claiming this is "predatory", if anything it exposes the amount of people willing to spend x amount of money for cosmetics
  • A_Cats_Tail
    A_Cats_Tail
    ✭✭
    Xandreia_ wrote: »
    they have been predatory before, offering respec scrolls for real money when you can do it in game for free by using gold even having vamp and ww in the crown store is predatory imo, you can ask someone to bite for free.

I agree with OP, this "offer" is predatory on those that have gambling addictons, buying a collectors pack is completely different to offering a poly most of the games population has been wanting with the opening of crown crates. there is a reason loot boxes have been banned in a few countries!

its starting to look like ESO is on that aggressive monetization people have been talking about for years! i would have rather bought the poly separately or had a chance to buy with endeavours!

You only have yourself to blame if you lack the self restraint to prevent yourself from splurging on unnecessary goods
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a way to opt out of seeing crates in the crown store.

But, I don't see anything wrong with people who enjoy them being able to get decent bundle deals every now and again.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xandreia_ wrote: »

Those that have gambling addictions have their own battle to fight, and probably shouldn't be playing a lot of the games on the internet that offer what you see as 'temptations' like this one.
    I am not my brothers keeper, don't try to make me one, so tired of that.

ESO is a business, like any other, and yes, they will be coming up with new ways to make money - and all the people who go on about the crates won't like any of it, as usual. Endeavors was a great way to pick and choose what you want from the crates without spending a dime. An item like the polymorph? It's a special case, and YES IT'S A HOOK to get you to spend money, omg imagine a business doing that! So just say no and don't support it. If people don't support it they won't do it.
    People WILL support it though, and that's ok too.

You see EVERYTHING that requires money spent as predatory. You list respec scrolls, vamp, ww, etc as being 'predatory' when they can be bought in the game for ingame gold or acquired for free. So what is predatory about it? Predatory would be MAYBE if that was the ONLY way to get them. It's just another option, that's all. Take it or leave it. And if you come back with "but new players might not realize they can get it for free" I'll come back to saying I'm not my brother's keeper again.

You are right about one thing. It's an "Offer". As in, you take it or leave it. Support it or don't.
    Someone said don't invalidate the opinions of those that don't support this or have an issue with it.
    I say don't invalidate the opinions of those that don't find it a problem either.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't have an issue with the boxes EXISTING, you buy them or you don't(yes, I know some people have impulse control and I'm sympathetic towards them to an extent, but life doesn't give you a padded safe room away from all temptations and threats with a handler to make sure you don't touch a hot stove. If you NEED that kind of supervision then by all means get the help you need but an MMO in my opinion isn't it )

My issue is the low rng on digital (mostly cosmetic) items. Could be my rng is absolutely horrible. Maybe my account is flagged with a "bad luck" code. But the amount of people that post on several forums regarding rng can't just be the normal complaints. If I drop $40 or $80 U.S. on a video game, I should get a better "door prize". I may not win the top items but it can be a bit ridiculous. I'm not at the casino, winning more rl cash, it's a digital shiney. /Shrug I just quit buying them when I realized whoever assigns the rng percentage doesn't WANT anyone to win a few pixels and I PERSONALLY don't want to invest in that kind of business model.
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree. I had more fun with the Scribes of Fate dungeon dlc than any other dungeon dlc in a long time, and I’m actually excited for Necrom and Archanist (and I was very adamantly against a new class.) This year has and is really good for ESO so far IMO.

But then they do stuff like this which totally sours the apple. It’s like they really enjoy shooting themselves in the foot.
    Edited by HappyTheCamper on April 1, 2023 3:24PM