The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

DK buff? Why?

Hesperax79
Hesperax79
✭✭✭
Could someone explain me why DK needed a major buff?

I do not play PvE, maybe they were weak DPS?

In PvP DK rules all of the gameplay.
With the new chain they will be brainless.

I see the future of Cyro:
SET: Rushing Agony + VicD + Balorg/Titanic cleave
COMBO: Chain --> Dwanbreaker --> Cleave --> WIN

So, why? Is there any good argument to support this buff?
Edited by Hesperax79 on February 1, 2023 10:15AM
  • TheTuSiK
    TheTuSiK
    ✭✭✭
    PvE players also don't get it but they are happy. DK is currently the best dps in pve and it's gonna be better. Now I'm not sure why they're adding a new class if DK is all we need and what most people play.
  • Sockermannen
    Sockermannen
    ✭✭✭
    i was wondering the same… my first thought when i saw it was ”did DKs really need this buff?” if it was minor berserk for 15 seconds i could have bought it but major berserk on demand with a skill that can essentially be spammed seems way overkill.

especially when other classes gets either little or no meaningfull change at all.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, DK is top in pve and PvP. Why they are adding major berserk to the kit honestly makes no sense and makes it seem like they don’t really know their own game.
  • arch1t3ct
    arch1t3ct
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is that ZOS are just scared to nerf DKs since it's the most common and most popular class, it takes like half of PVE and PVP populations. Easiest, yet strongest class to play. They would lose so much players if this class suddenly becomes not as overpowered
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arch1t3ct wrote: »
    My theory is that ZOS are just scared to nerf DKs since it's the most common and most popular class, it takes like half of PVE and PVP populations. Easiest, yet strongest class to play. They would lose so much players if this class suddenly becomes not as overpowered

It’s the most popular class now because they have made it that way by consistently buffing it and nerfing the prior most popular class, Templar, into the ground.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I lived for two years with main dk when class was a trash, so I really don't want any nerfs in future only because of this weird buff. Personally I don't need it and want it, if that will make more pressure on nerfing a class. Just take it away and give some buff for poor templars :D
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair most players are running the Sea Serpants Coil which already grants Major Berserk so now they just lose Empower.
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have added Major Berserk to the Templar ultimate they took Empower off of, because that ulti is trash otherwise in PvE
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DKs need a nerf in PvP not a buff.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Might as well give DKs Major Force as well.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    PC NA
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have added Major Berserk to the Templar ultimate they took Empower off of, because that ulti is trash otherwise in PvE

I had literally the exact same thought and made a thread about it.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hesperax79 wrote: »
    Could someone explain me why DK needed a major buff?

I do not play PvE, maybe they were weak DPS?

In PvP DK rules all of the gameplay.
    With the new chain they will be brainless.

I see the future of Cyro:
    SET: Rushing Agony + VicD + Balorg/Titanic cleave
    COMBO: Chain --> Dwanbreaker --> Cleave --> WIN

So, why? Is there any good argument to support this buff?

It's long, long, long overdue for ZOS to stop having God Modes/Easy Modes/Cheese Modes in the game. At least PvP is meant to be competitive on a player versus player base, and having easy modes is not adding to the game, nor adding possible revenues, imo. And I don't think anyone would appreciate if everyone played the same class in the same sets/builds in PvP, alas we are frightening near just that at the moment.

A start could be to bring CCs down to an absolute minimum in PvP. At the moment it's CC/perma CC and two shots, players get completely taken out of any form of "playing" equation. I'm not enjoying that kind of easy mode in single player games (some challenge has to be there), so how anyone can find that satisfying or fun is beyond me.
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • CyberDiva
    CyberDiva
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you are taking away "major buff" to the class from this...

Ardent Flame > Chains of Devastation: This morph now grants Major Berserk for 10 seconds after casting, rather than Empower, as Molten Armaments already grants it in a much more effect way. As such, this morph was renamed to better denote its effects. Such devastation was our intention.

First of all, they remove Empower and simply replace it with Berserk for the one skill. Read, one skill.

Second, it's one skill that not everyone uses. Have you seen Templar? It really didn't need help, but it got it in major ways.

Unfortunately ZOS still has not split the skills into PvE use and PvP use, so depending on your play style and chosen character, you are either going to suffer or benefit based on the constant changes made to them to try to seek what is absolutely an impossible balance between the two. I would strongly suggest to every single one of the players in this game that the only true way to "fix" skills to suit both PvE and PvP is to split them. There was a major out-calling for a new class. It happened with the upcoming Arcanist. Maybe if more people started calling for a skill split, it might happen? Here is hoping, yes?

As to your question why, it is answered with their notes: "Such devastation was our intention."

(Edited to fix italics)
    Edited by CyberDiva on February 3, 2023 5:38PM
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CyberDiva wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you are taking away "major buff" to the class from this...

Ardent Flame > Chains of Devastation: This morph now grants Major Berserk for 10 seconds after casting, rather than Empower, as Molten Armaments already grants it in a much more effect way. As such, this morph was renamed to better denote its effects. Such devastation was our intention.

First of all, they remove Empower and simply replace it with Berserk for the one skill. Read, one skill.

Second, it's one skill that not everyone uses. Have you seen Templar? It really didn't need help, but it got it in major ways.

Unfortunately ZOS still has not split the skills into PvE use and PvP use, so depending on your play style and chosen character, you are either going to suffer or benefit based on the constant changes made to them to try to seek what is absolutely an impossible balance between the two. I would strongly suggest to every single one of the players in this game that the only true way to "fix" skills to suit both PvE and PvP is to split them. There was a major out-calling for a new class. It happened with the upcoming Arcanist. Maybe if more people started calling for a skill split, it might happen? Here is hoping, yes?

As to your question why, it is answered with their notes: "Such devastation was our intention."

(Edited to fix italics)

DK is the most overperforming class in PVP (alongside certain specs of nightblade, but as a whole class its DK). When Empower was nerfed it meant that DK got a much needed nerf. This is effectively reverting a desperately needed nerf regardless of the fact that the class is still overperforming even after the empower nerf.
    It is a major buff - one that will significantly improve DK's ability to lock down and obliterate any opponent. A buff that they very much do not need. If "such devastation was [their] intention" then their intention is to cement a DK-and-NB-only PVP environment that is straight unhealthy for the game.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on February 3, 2023 6:31PM
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this significant damage buff to the objectively most overperforming class is a real head scratcher.

Either:
    A) Someone is VERY out of touch with current pvp, or
    B) This is a nasty troll directed at, well, us.

Is there a better possibility I’m just not seeing?
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caribou77 wrote: »
    Yeah, this significant damage buff to the objectively most overperforming class is a real head scratcher.

Either:
    A) Someone is VERY out of touch with current pvp, or
    B) This is a nasty troll directed at, well, us.

Is there a better possibility I’m just not seeing?

I think they wanted to make a lesser used skill more attractive; which is what a lot of us have asked them to do for a very long time. The problem is that they only gave the goods to one class, and it happened to be the one that needed it least.
  • Howda
    Howda
    ✭✭✭
    Ppl, it is one skill and replaces a skill slot. DK will end up being the same in pvp, as everyone runs serpent already.

The pull with no cost is bigger problem if you ask me.
    Howda
    Don't
    Blood for the PACT
    Dark Elf Dragonknight
    [EU]
  • SaliciaKeyz
    Howda wrote: »
    everyone runs serpent already.

Now they can run something different tho. Empower did nothing for PvP, right? So it’s like getting buffed by a value of 1 item slot.

Sometimes I think it would be good to have certain components of skills that are less effective in PvP, so PvE builds don’t suffer as an expense of PvP balancing.

I also think we should get third or fourth morphs on some skills. That would enable a lot of versatility and keep them from having to scrap morphs that people like because they want to add one.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    No, DK is top in pve and PvP. Why they are adding major berserk to the kit honestly makes no sense and makes it seem like they don’t really know their own game.

Yeah DKs are cracked right now. The buff makes less than ZERO sense.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ppl, it is one skill and replaces a skill slot. DK will end up being the same in pvp, as everyone runs serpent already.

Not everyone wears serpent coil. But the free cost on chain is also a big problem. I'm not looking forward to the brokensoul dk chain spam coming back.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not everyone wears serpent coil. But the free cost on chain is also a big problem. I'm not looking forward to the brokensoul dk chain spam coming back.

chains morph that give berserk are not free, that's the pulling chains. It is balanced, it has three effects just like any other spell, gap, damage, buff. Stacks are whip passive (class passive are different). Could have been minor buff considering the dk power right now, but u will need to replace another spell so u lose on another thing
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A DK buff that was missed last week.
    9lb2ivunx1wc.jpg
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Might as well give DKs Major Force as well.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

They can just drop Kinras for Grave Inevitability now :D

Joking aside, Warhorn is a much better way to get Major Force than sets, unless you're solo.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A DK using Shifting Standard is a rare sight even now when you can make it a bomb with Harmony in group like Gravity Crush. I doubt they will use it now when Harmony will be gone. A welcomed small thing for PvE tho.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    robpr wrote: »

A DK using Shifting Standard is a rare sight even now when you can make it a bomb with Harmony in group like Gravity Crush. I doubt they will use it now when Harmony will be gone. A welcomed small thing for PvE tho.

It is quite strong in PVP already, and now, apparently, for some baffling reason, getting stronger.
    ZOS: Stop it. DK does not need buffs.
    That said, without Harmony, I'm not too concerned about this particular change, but it still speaks to ZOS's complete disconnect with the current state of the game.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on February 6, 2023 7:16PM
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More DK buffs this week
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    More DK buffs this week

Can’t even make this stuff up.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean from a gameplay point of view getting rid of Empower on the chains made sense. Empowering Chains is a gap closer, something you never really use in PvE, and the Empower buff used to work in PvP but now it doesn't.

This means the ability designed to gap close and be used in PvP lost the advantage it once had, which means the Empower change nerfed DK, and so the devs added a damage buff to the chains to make up for this.

Despite the change making sense the class is incredibly good at what it does, which is why people think the change is nonsensical. To you all it looks like a buff when in reality it is a bit of a reversion back to what the intended functionality of the ability is.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Considering that the past 2-3 years we've seen a nerfing of DoTs, while leaving the best ones (Combustion + burning/poisoned) untouched.. is a bit ridiculous. Awfully strange that we're ignoring the elephant in the room that DK has been for years on end now...
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor DKs. What shred of dignity they had left in PvP has been decisively stripped away.

Now it’s just embarrassing to see someone play the class.