ESO Necrom's Zone has the wrong title

• APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Zenlun wrote: »
    APGaming wrote: »
    Garethp wrote: »
    You're making the assumption that this new zone is the entire Telvanni Peninsula. It's possible that it's just part of the peninsula. If the peninsula extends from the north-most tip to the border of Deshaan, with this new zone just being a subset of the peninsula then there's no problem. This area would still be, in fact, the Telvanni Peninsula

Yes, but since it does not include the ENTIRE peninsula, that's not an apt name. For example, if the new zone was Texas, it wouldn't be called United States. It'd be called Texas. Yes the zone is part of the Telvanni Peninsula but it's certainly not enough to justify it taking the namesake.

Great, now all I can picture is two yeehaw dark elves busting into a Saloon ha! What would the new feature be in ESO Texas? :D

Probably a new arena called the rodeo featuring the cowboy class, yee haw brudder!
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    The way zones are released in this game makes the two halves of the peninsula separate. They are now two separate regions. This zone has a border. With land on two sides. If this zone is going to be THE Telvanni Peninsula... what's the northern half called??

"Clearly" The Indoril Peninsula. /s
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    The new overarching storyline that they've promised will last more than a year is called "Shadow over Morrowind". So kinda suggests we'll still be in Morrowind for next year's Chapter. Either the actual Telvanni Peninsula, or Blacklight I'd guess?

Is that the name of the whole arc or just something like this year's motto? If the next 1-3 years are Morrowind again, I can see people freaking out... and many not necessarily the positive way.
    @Syldras I guess it's still difficult to say at the moment. Tricky to tell from the wording. Maybe we can ping someone from ZOS for clarification on whether "Shadow over Morrowind" is a year-long arc or not? They did say in the end of year letter that year-long stories are over now in favour of multi-year arcs, and here's the text from the Necrom info page:

"Beginning with the Scribes of Fate dungeon DLC pack in March, the Shadow Over Morrowind adventure tells an interconnected story across multiple content releases, including the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom Chapter and beyond.

While all of 2023’s major releases will tell unique stand-alone tales, each one will also build upon and expand the larger Shadow Over Morrowind storyline."

Bolded for emphasis. But yes, I think it could be read either way. Either Shadow Over Morrowind is the year-long arc, that is part of a greater arc yet-to-be-named. Or, Shadow Over Morrowind is the name of the greater arc, and Necrom is the first Chapter of multiple. And honestly I'd be fine with more Morrowind so long as the new regions look unique. Blacklight and the actual Telvanni Peninsula could look completely unique.

So far my primary concern with Necrom's environment is that it's just more of Vvardenfell's east coast, and I'm hoping that's just because they haven't shown the rest of the biomes. Because for a whole new Chapter to just reuse one environment type from a previous Chapter... that sure would be something. And I know Apocrypha exists too, but my heart belongs to Tamriel, and I love how the Tamriel Rebuilt mod team created unique biomes for all these places for TES3, and it will be sad if this is just an entire zone of a single biome.
    Edited by Darkstorne on January 28, 2023 10:46AM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And honestly I'd be fine with more Morrowind so long as the new regions look unique.

Me too, but that's a personal quirk and I'm sure many people would disagree.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in the wrong place but they won't fix it. Telvanni are nostalgia bait. Indoril didn't show up in Morrowind so who's gonna get nostalgic for them, right?

I was dreading a retrurn to Morrowind from the ESO devs. And this is why. They've always done the province and the Dunmer a huge disservice.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Telvanni Peninsula" is a lore-breaking name, here's why.

The lands between Mournhold and Necrom have been regarded as Indoril in lore from the earlier games. However, this thread is not to assert that ZOS should move the zone, it's too late for that now. We have to accept the retcon that this region is now Telvanni, at least in the Second Era.

There is a far greater issue that ZOS absolutely must fix before this chapter gets ruined by misinformation. The region showcased is NOT the Telvanni Peninsula in lore OR geographically (or at least, not all of it). The peninsula north of Necrom is THE Telvanni Peninsula. If the northern reaches are not included, the zone simply cannot be called "Telvanni Peninsula," for the sole reason that it is not surrounded by water on three sides, as is the definition of a peninsula. I don't mean to whip out a dictionary on the dev team, but this is just a blatant oversight. My proposal, is that from this point forward the zone take the namesake of "Telvanni Coast" which could be a subregion of the greater peninsula. The zone does in fact have two main coastlines. The devs have already referred to the zone by this name in the showcase and need to commit by confirming that this will be the in-game zone name on BOTH the loading screen and world map. When NPCs reference the region it should also be referred to as Telvanni Coast.

Please fix this @ZOS_Bill
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin

(I can't find Loremaster Zenke's @)

4x4lbgwb8bvv.jpg

Here's a real world example of this, and no, it's not called a peninsula.

yaubkmbchzol.jpg

I agree the name is rather unfitting.

Story-wise, I expected the geographical peninsula itself - with Necrom at its southernmost part

penins10.jpg

Even in this case I would have expected some Dres and Indoril intermingling near Necrom. Maybe it'll be the case as we discover the quests, who knows!

But now, we are presented the other zone at its south border, call it "the telvanni peninsula" and have it whole Telvanni territory??

It looks like an oversight, like, they started a lore and story characters about the real Peninsula, but later decided to "stick" to the Deshaan border, and forgot to change the name.

Just likewise Murkmire was not designed to be in southern coast of Black March originally...
    It did bother me and many others when Northern Elsweyr was called Elsweyr on the map screen originally. In a way it's false advertising. They fixed it. If you look on the map screen and loading screen, it's Northern Elsweyr not Elsweyr. The gap is incredibly irritating, but could be filled by a future Tenmar Forest zone.

and it felt akward that they decided to go with flat "Northern Elsweyr" and "Southern Elsweyr" instead of glorious Anequina and Pellitine that are quite well aknowledged in the story and item names anyway.

TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even if next year is also Morrowind is it really thst bad? Sure this year uses a lot of assets from Vvardenfell but the fact is the Telvanni Peninsula is only one of the zones, Apocrypha is where all the new assets are.
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if next year is also Morrowind is it really thst bad? Sure this year uses a lot of assets from Vvardenfell but the fact is the Telvanni Peninsula is only one of the zones, Apocrypha is where all the new assets are.

There's a finite amount Morrowind left:
    1. The Telvanni Peninsula again, but further north.
    2. The southeastern home of House Dres, albeit not its poltical seat, which ESO made Kragenmoor for some reason.
    3. The northwestern home of House Redoran, where the map is currently over-occupied by Skyrim.
    4. Sheogorad, a small region that didn't have any Dunmer settlement in TESIII (although NPCs said that Ald Redaynia was a village or town).
    5. Solstheim, which is neither geographically or poltically part of Morrowind until the 4th Era, but I wouldn't it put it past the developers to recreate Raven Rock as it appeared in TESV.
    6. Gorne, an island mention in The Poison Song.

Personally, I don't much care if House Telvanni doesn't have any new assets in this chapter, because they shouldn't even be there, perhaps apart from the northern border. Now we can potentially have two Telvanni zones, one Redoran, one Dres and no Indoril or Hlaalu. I think it would be acceptable if most towns in the chapter used the base game Dunmer architectural assets (albeit with new armour and clothing styles) with new assets for Necrom and Apocrypha, although it would be difficult to cover Necrom, Apocrypha and House Indoril in a single chapter. One of advantages of using House Telvanni in the background of a chapter is that they've already been developed, albeit with hybrid, fleshy looking mushroom towers, which isn't for everyone.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is the peninsula, the extra land mass is just a big mushroom
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    and it felt akward that they decided to go with flat "Northern Elsweyr" and "Southern Elsweyr" instead of glorious Anequina and Pellitine that are quite well aknowledged in the story and item names anyway.

From my understanding, the reason they received the more general names was for marketing to your less involved Elder Scrolls player. However, it is slightly justified by this piece of lore:

Anequina and Pellitine always had a great rivalry, that sometimes even led to conflict. After the regions were united by a royal marriage about 250 years before ESO, they became the "Elsweyr" that we know and love today. The regions still remain incredibly different both geographically and culturally, and to avoid stirring up another rivalry and instead promoting unity, many Khajiit (and Imperials & Aldmeri Dominion officials) took to calling them Northern and Southern Elsweyr.
    Edited by APGaming on February 1, 2023 2:15AM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't have any use for dunmer and no interest in Morrowind. So that means my only interest in this entire year is the Arcanist class.

And I certainly hope we're not living in Morrowind for another couple of years. If so, I guess I'll drop subs and go back to Oblivion and Skyrim full time.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Morgaledh
    Morgaledh
    ✭✭✭
    The in-game maps of the whole continent are a mess, and this has come up many times on the forums. I can't find the threads at the moment, but there are even dev quotes to the effect that they know the way zones are mapped in the game started wrong and have made things tougher for actual game development in the long run - fewer map areas for new zone expansions etc.

One of the worst mistakes was placing Shadowfen way, way too far north. This isn't a lore-nerd issue, there are real game effects. We'll never have expansions in those Dres lands south of Deshaan and north of Shadowfen (they exist, they always have), so we'll end up with less game, fewer new possible zones (bizarrely, Telvanni, not Dres, are the main slavers in ESO... which bodes very badly for the Necrom expansion). This is one example that's gotten a lot of attention, but there are others.

That Necrom sits in non-Telvanni land is not an opinion, it's just how the maps work. Indoril gets no love, but that's not really new, either. A small part of me hopes that the actual Telvanni peninsula (the one north of the zone they're calling the Telvanni Peninsula) will be a further expansion, maybe adding the isles (I might sign on if we got actual cephalopod helmets). The larger part of me wishes devoutly that, given the tenor of the woeful treatment of Telvanni in the Vvardenfell expansion, they would leave House Telvanni alone forever. Nothing good can come of further ESO exploration of Telvanni lands or lore; the botched map is just icing on the cake.
    Blacklight I'd guess?

We'll never see Blacklight, given the truncation of Redoran lands vis-a-vis Eastmarch in ESO. All of this is a lot easier to see at Tamriel Maps at The Imperial Library. Redoran lands go all the way up the coast of the sea, with Blacklight at the top. In ESO, that whole chunk of Redoran lands is appended to Eastmarch: it's where Skuldafn sits.

The more you look at the maps, the stranger and stranger these zone expansions become.
    Edited by Morgaledh on February 1, 2023 5:45AM
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Morgaledh wrote: »
    The in-game maps of the whole continent are a mess, and this has come up many times on the forums. I can't find the threads at the moment, but there are even dev quotes to the effect that they know the way zones are mapped in the game started wrong and have made things tougher for actual game development in the long run - fewer map areas for new zone expansions etc.

One of the worst mistakes was placing Shadowfen way, way too far north. This isn't a lore-nerd issue, there are real game effects. We'll never have expansions in those Dres lands south of Deshaan and north of Shadowfen (they exist, they always have), so we'll end up with less game, fewer new possible zones (bizarrely, Telvanni, not Dres, are the main slavers in ESO... which bodes very badly for the Necrom expansion). This is one example that's gotten a lot of attention, but there are others.

That Necrom sits in non-Telvanni land is not an opinion, it's just how the maps work. Indoril gets no love, but that's not really new, either. A small part of me hopes that the actual Telvanni peninsula (the one north of the zone they're calling the Telvanni Peninsula) will be a further expansion, maybe adding the isles (I might sign on if we got actual cephalopod helmets). The larger part of me wishes devoutly that, given the tenor of the woeful treatment of Telvanni in the Vvardenfell expansion, they would leave House Telvanni alone forever. Nothing good can come of further ESO exploration of Telvanni lands or lore; the botched map is just icing on the cake.

You're 100% right. Morrowind is riddled with map errors. Shadowfen is too far north, Eastern Skyrim is to far east, and now this Telvanni Peninsula mess. They leave little room for Indoril and Dres to get any opportunities in the spotlight.

Some friends of mine made an add on called Accurate World Map, but it still doesn't satisfy my craving for a fixed map because I believe the issues lie in the arrangement and scale of the worldspaces themselves. I'm working on a version of the world map that follows this philosophy and will probably post it on the forums in the future.
  • Morgaledh
    Morgaledh
    ✭✭✭
    Some friends of mine made an add on called Accurate World Map

Accurate World Map is yeoman's work, and it should be widely known, discussed, and used (FYI: I'm not affiliated). Using it, you really see how badly the ESO maps really are. It isn't really a GAME fix (ESO still can't add zones and expansions where they should be able to), but AWP does show you what it wrong, where things really are - and mostly (sadly), what you're missing, and will never see.

• honeybun
    honeybun
    ✭✭
    Even the unofficial Elder Scrolls wiki says the name is wrong.

The Telvanni Peninsula comprises the eastern arm of mainland Morrowind, and is bracketed by the Inner Sea to the west and the Padomaic Ocean to the north and east. The region is characterized with rocky coasts and islands, as well as a couple of small settlements. The northern half is cold, while the southern half is temperate, and the landscape consists of fertile plains in the east and badlands in the west. The city of Firewatch is found on the coastline of the peninsula. Necrom is found on a different peninsula found south of the Telvanni Peninsula, and the two are separated by an inlet.

The city of Necrom is south of the Telvanni Peninsula, it is not in the actual peninsula.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Telvanni_Peninsula
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if we can talk about all of these map issues and want them fixed enough, so ZOS can make that the next "most requested feature they have worked long and hard (heh) on to implement".

Because all of these constant errors and seemingly disregard for the lore, setting and portrayal of areas, people and cultures is getting very annoying.

Morrowind is just Ashlanders and House Telvanni. Hlaalu, Redoran and Indoril supposedly exist in a hotchpotch somewhere around <Gestures vaguely at map that is not Telvanni or Ashlander>.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the worst mistakes was placing Shadowfen way, way too far north. This isn't a lore-nerd issue, there are real game effects. We'll never have expansions in those Dres lands south of Deshaan and north of Shadowfen (they exist, they always have)

Are you sure that hasn't been done on purpose to avoid the Dres and the slavery topic? I mean, yeah, they've made this a Telvanni thing in ESO, but the Telvanni have their fanbase (so they can't just remove them as well). Now try making most players actually want to play a whole Dres zone...
    Telvanni, not Dres, are the main slavers in ESO... which bodes very badly for the Necrom expansion

That's an worrying aspect to me, too. I see this year's chapter is ZOS' chance to prove us wrong.
    I wonder if we can talk about all of these map issues and want them fixed enough, so ZOS can make that the next "most requested feature they have worked long and hard (heh) on to implement.

I hope so! Then again, I'm wondering which percentage of the playerbase really cares - or even knows.
    Morrowind is just Ashlanders and House Telvanni. Hlaalu, Redoran and Indoril supposedly exist in a hotchpotch somewhere around <Gestures vaguely at map that is not Telvanni or Ashlander>.

Actually I expected an Indoril focus when I heard Necrom. Then again, who know what they'll present to us. The Temple will play a role at least, considering the newest ToT cards will be Almalexia themed and there's also a very complexly designed furniture item with a clear Tribunal theme on PTS.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll never see Blacklight, given the truncation of Redoran lands vis-a-vis Eastmarch in ESO. All of this is a lot easier to see at Tamriel Maps at The Imperial Library. Redoran lands go all the way up the coast of the sea, with Blacklight at the top. In ESO, that whole chunk of Redoran lands is appended to Eastmarch: it's where Skuldafn sits.

If they did Blacklight, they would adjust the map accordingly. All maps are approximate and show what they want to show based on whatever perspective the map maker has.

That said, starting this year ZOS is not doing small zones. Until they resume doing small zones, they will not do the area between Stonefalls and Blacklight up the western side of the Inner Sea. It is an area too small for a Chapter, unless they combine it with something else.
    Syldras wrote: »
    Actually I expected an Indoril focus when I heard Necrom. Then again, who know what they'll present to us. The Temple will play a role at least, considering the newest ToT cards will be Almalexia themed and there's also a very complexly designed furniture item with a clear Tribunal theme on PTS.

I expect that the Indoril will be treated as background noise, like the Dres. I expect that the focus will be Telvanni, the zone will be primarily Telvanni, and there will be one little town with four houses and a quest in it that are "Indoril" somewhere on the west side.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    bizarrely, Telvanni, not Dres, are the main slavers in ESO... .

I don't think that's entirely true. Dres have almost nothing in their ESO identity but slavery and daedra worship. Their symbol is a shackle, Kragenmoor has a whole district of Khajiiti slaves and one of those NPCs who points out delves is talking about places where goblins and other such people who don't usually count as people can be enslaved.

I don't think that slavery in Telvanni is overplayed. It's one expression of their extreme libertarian philosophy as is rejecting the Ebonheart Pact. The trouble with is that House Telvanni was that they were nominally the biggest slavers on Vvardenfell. A Dres slave market or an Indoril plantation wouldn't be nostalgic. That sounds terrible in a way that I don't really intend. But I express contempt for this type of nostalgia, because there's too emphasis on showing what TESIII already showed, instead showing what TESIII told without showing.
    I wonder if we can talk about all of these map issues and want them fixed enough, so ZOS can make that the next "most requested feature they have worked long and hard (heh) on to implement".

Because all of these constant errors and seemingly disregard for the lore, setting and portrayal of areas, people and cultures is getting very annoying.

To be fair, the Balmora and Ald'ruhn quests explained some of House Redoran's conquest of western Vvardenfell. Although the focus was split between them, the Ashlanders and a few Morag Tong.

But this does show a difference in the understanding of how Great Houses work. In Stonefalls/Deshaan, they don't rule over large contiguous regions alone. They share some cities, such as Ebonheart and Mournhold, and provide each other special services, such as Redoran in the military, Hlaalu in trade, banking and crafts, Dres for legal slavery and even Telvanni for keeping dangerous reliquaries.

Whereas in Vvardenfell and the Telvanni Peninsula we're back to regional and mostly independent Great Houses. I suppose that we could say that the reason House Telvanni has more land than other Great House is because they're both isolationist and simply more powerful, but this would downplay the generalised Dunmer characteristics that House Telvanni rejects, such as warrior culture, piety, authoritarianism, distrust of necromancy and other non-approved magic and clannishness. There aren't enough Redoran and Ashlanders to represent half of the Dunmer stereotypes, even the Blacklight area restored
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Personally, I don't have any use for dunmer and no interest in Morrowind. So that means my only interest in this entire year is the Arcanist class.

And I certainly hope we're not living in Morrowind for another couple of years. If so, I guess I'll drop subs and go back to Oblivion and Skyrim full time.

I personally hope the next 3 years will only be Morrowind and Dunmer themed. :)
    MajorLiquidBandicoot-max-1mb.gif

Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    That said, starting this year ZOS is not doing small zones. Until they resume doing small zones, they will not do the area between Stonefalls and Blacklight up the western side of the Inner Sea. It is an area too small for a Chapter, unless they combine it with something else.
    Nah, map size and zone scale have never corresponded. The starter islands are all far larger than the map would suggest, and Summerset is probably the smallest zone in the game compared to its map size.

The focus for Chapters ever since (and including) Elsweyr seems to be a zone containing one or two large cities, and always a single city dominating. They learned from Summerset that several cities is too much work for them to do justice with. I'll always be bitter about Alinor, Shimmerene, Lilandril, Sunhold, and Cloudrest sharing identical architecture, and Dusk being practically deleted from existence.

Blacklight still stands as a great future Chapter possibility, if they're happy to redesign the map. Jehanna even has potential too. Central Elsweyr is perfect, Skingrad is perfect, even Falinesti could work if they wanted it to due to that single city focus.

Here's a great map Lady Nerevar created to show the zone scale variation. Roads stand out really clearly as a rough gauge for size comparisons. Summerset compared to Auridon for example is like... man. What a shame they didn't just create half of Summerset's mainland. We'd have ended up with a much larger Summerset in the long run, with much more variety, detail, and focus on architecture and environments.
    mara8w1dlyl61.jpg
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For all we know the zone could be devided between indoril and telvani kind of like vvardenfell between telvani, redoran and hlalu

The dres can get the part east of shadowfen and just say they plan to invade and take teritory in a few year or something
    I dont want them to move shadowfen as we see it from deshan and vice versa. As for blacklight yeah remove skuldafn to leave space and rework the rift/stonefall border to be a "Y" shape so the existing ingame border dont change exept with a passage north to black light. The map is salvageable without breaking ingame visual .
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they did Blacklight, they would adjust the map accordingly. All maps are approximate and show what they want to show based on whatever perspective the map maker has.

Pretty silly to say in a post-'High Isle' world. Any area can be a chapter if they can think of enough content to stuff into them. And then they will scale the map so it's approximately the same size as other chapters.

None of the games had lore-accurate provinces since TES2.
  • Carlos93
    Carlos93
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the rework of the Tamriel map to fix the bugs and lay the groundwork for future content.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know, I try to keep a pretty balanced perspective, but this really does annoy me.

I could go and play WoW if I was all about the generic MMO action, but like many people here, I'm here for the lore and the exploration.

There have been people talking about the major problems with the maps since 2014. Its important to them. But despite literal hundreds of posts over the forums and reddit since launch, there's no response, no acknowledgement.

I don't expect them to never make mistakes, things happen, things change. But it gets harder to keep that balanced perspective when the developers simply don't respond.

It feels like if you make youtube and twitch streams bashing ZOS regarding balance changes, drum up hate brigades, literally encourage people to quit subs, quit the game en masse, and call for developers to be fired, you'll get attention and acknowledgement.

Meanwhile, politely but persistently asking for some insight, acknowledgement, or perhaps some degree of commitment to improve things for 9 years will get you nothing but radio silence.

Regarding the defenders of 'Telvanni Peninsula', imagine that ZOS introduces a zone they name "Skyrim", but its only the very western fringe of what we know to be Skyrim, and the bulk of this imaginary zone is actually in High Rock. ZOS gets things wrong, they have in the past, and they will again. Which is fine. I just find it bizarre that even knowing this to be true, and regular, people are taking the stance of "they probably mean something else". Is it really that unlikely they just botched it?

Of course, having literally anyone from ZOS engage us about it would clear the issue up instantly, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Pretty silly to say in a post-'High Isle' world. Any area can be a chapter if they can think of enough content to stuff into them. And then they will scale the map so it's approximately the same size as other chapters.

not really the point I know, but it feels pretty pointless to define a videogame representation of something as lore accurate only if it's to scale. But yeah it's super strange to say they won't do (more) small zones, scaled up, for chapters. Even before High Isle, I never got that vibe from ZOS.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

not really the point I know, but it feels pretty pointless to define a videogame representation of something as lore accurate only if it's to scale. But yeah it's super strange to say they won't do (more) small zones, scaled up, for chapters. Even before High Isle, I never got that vibe from ZOS.

Not strange at all. Think of ESO as a fountain of diminishing returns. ZOS is trying to keep things going, but I would imagine that it simply gets harder and harder to get people to buy stuff at the same levels. This is why they probably focus on new players so much. If they do a small zone, it will probably be a small zone.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • jee_mirae
    jee_mirae
    Soul Shriven
    All lore based inconsistencies aside (to which I agree wholeheartedly). OP’s post about geography and proper terminology made me think of the Korean Peninsula…seems like the closest example I can think of. I’m not as well versed in the houses etc as I’d like to be, however there’s got to be a way to structure the names properly, right? Korea found a way, half of us ain’t doing too bad :)
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(I can't find Loremaster Zenke's @)

OP, the Loremaster has an account on Twitter, so if you wanted to contact them that way you can easily find them there.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean necrom legit isn’t in the Telvanni peninsula so they are pretty much using the wrong location to describe it. Even uesp I think still says necrom is not in the Telvanni peninsula.