Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ESO Necrom's Zone has the wrong title

APGaming
APGaming
✭✭✭
The "Telvanni Peninsula" is a lore-breaking name, here's why.

The lands between Mournhold and Necrom have been regarded as Indoril in lore from the earlier games. However, this thread is not to assert that ZOS should move the zone, it's too late for that now. We have to accept the retcon that this region is now Telvanni, at least in the Second Era.

There is a far greater issue that ZOS absolutely must fix before this chapter gets ruined by misinformation. The region showcased is NOT the Telvanni Peninsula in lore OR geographically (or at least, not all of it). The peninsula north of Necrom is THE Telvanni Peninsula. If the northern reaches are not included, the zone simply cannot be called "Telvanni Peninsula," for the sole reason that it is not surrounded by water on three sides, as is the definition of a peninsula. I don't mean to whip out a dictionary on the dev team, but this is just a blatant oversight. My proposal, is that from this point forward the zone take the namesake of "Telvanni Coast" which could be a subregion of the greater peninsula. The zone does in fact have two main coastlines. The devs have already referred to the zone by this name in the showcase and need to commit by confirming that this will be the in-game zone name on BOTH the loading screen and world map. When NPCs reference the region it should also be referred to as Telvanni Coast.

Please fix this @ZOS_Bill
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin

(I can't find Loremaster Zenke's @)

4x4lbgwb8bvv.jpg

Here's a real world example of this, and no, it's not called a peninsula.

yaubkmbchzol.jpg

Edited by APGaming on January 27, 2023 9:13PM
  • Garethp
    Garethp
    ✭✭✭
    You're making the assumption that this new zone is the entire Telvanni Peninsula. It's possible that it's just part of the peninsula. If the peninsula extends from the north-most tip to the border of Deshaan, with this new zone just being a subset of the peninsula then there's no problem. This area would still be, in fact, the Telvanni Peninsula
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Garethp wrote: »
    You're making the assumption that this new zone is the entire Telvanni Peninsula. It's possible that it's just part of the peninsula. If the peninsula extends from the north-most tip to the border of Deshaan, with this new zone just being a subset of the peninsula then there's no problem. This area would still be, in fact, the Telvanni Peninsula

Yes, but since it does not include the ENTIRE peninsula, that's not an apt name. For example, if the new zone was Texas, it wouldn't be called United States. It'd be called Texas. Yes the zone is part of the Telvanni Peninsula but it's certainly not enough to justify it taking the namesake.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    APGaming wrote: »

Yes, but since it does not include the ENTIRE peninsula, that's not an apt name. For example, if the new zone was Texas, it wouldn't be called United States. It'd be called Texas. Yes the zone is part of the Telvanni Peninsula but it's certainly not enough to justify it taking the namesake.

When they introduced "Elsweyr" it was just the northern part, but they called it "Elsweyr".

The new zone is part of the Telvanni Peninsula, as made clear by the image above. If they ever do the northern part, they will change the zone names to differentiate them.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Garethp
    Garethp
    ✭✭✭
    My comment is mainly regarding
    When NPCs reference the region it should also be referred to as Telvanni Coast

When I talk about where I live IRL, I usually either talk about the City (even though I'm an hour out) or the general region (The council, the state or the country depending on where I'm currently living and who I'm talking to). Even though I don't even live in the most recognizable part of that region, I still use it to refer to where I am because it gives people who don't know the local areas a better reference point.

For that same reason, I'd say that the NPC's referring to that area as the Telvanni Peninsula would be pretty much the same as me saying "I live around Sydney" rather than "I live in the Hills District" (Location changed, I haven't lived in Australia for many years). Going more granular than Sydney would only make sense to people who know the different areas of Sydney and in that case it's more useful to just say I live in Castle Hills.

Likewise, people outside of the Telvanni Peninsula might not have a good reference point for the Telvanni Coast instead, and for anyone inside the Telvanni Peninsula it would be better to just say what town/village you're from.

Basically: I don't see a problem with NPC's using that term
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But like, Florida as a whole is a peninsula. Even the part of Florida near Tampa or inland at Orlando is still a part of the peninsula. Just because you are only including part of the area doesn't mean you aren't on the peninsula.
  • fleetingyouth_ESO
    fleetingyouth_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So because the devs decided to divide the peninsula into two parts presumably for a later addition. The current part is somehow not part of the Telvani peninsula? What if down the line they call that Northern Telvani Peninsula?

Seems like a pretty arbitrary issue to fixate on that really doesn't have much lore to back it up.

Does it bother you that they split Elswry into north and south and left a gap between them?

What about Auridon almost every map includes that as part of the summerset isles should summerset have been renamed since it cant be summerset if all of summerset isnt included?
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    The way zones are released in this game makes the two halves of the peninsula separate. They are now two separate regions. This zone has a border. With land on two sides. If this zone is going to be THE Telvanni Peninsula... what's the northern half called??
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    So because the devs decided to divide the peninsula into two parts presumably for a later addition. The current part is somehow not part of the Telvani peninsula? What if down the line they call that Northern Telvani Peninsula?

Seems like a pretty arbitrary issue to fixate on that really doesn't have much lore to back it up.

Does it bother you that they split Elswry into north and south and left a gap between them?

What about Auridon almost every map includes that as part of the summerset isles should summerset have been renamed since it cant be summerset if all of summerset isnt included?

It did bother me and many others when Northern Elsweyr was called Elsweyr on the map screen originally. In a way it's false advertising. They fixed it. If you look on the map screen and loading screen, it's Northern Elsweyr not Elsweyr. The gap is incredibly irritating, but could be filled by a future Tenmar Forest zone.

In regards to the Summerset Isles... Summerset is not called Summerset Isles... that's the namesake of all the islands collectively. One could take the primary name without defacing the rest of the province. Summerset is not the province, it's the main island. Summerset Isles is the province.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way zones are released in this game makes the two halves of the peninsula separate. They are now two separate regions. This zone has a border. With land on two sides. If this zone is going to be THE Telvanni Peninsula... what's the northern half called??

Northern Telvanni Peninsula?
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    But like, Florida as a whole is a peninsula. Even the part of Florida near Tampa or inland at Orlando is still a part of the peninsula. Just because you are only including part of the area doesn't mean you aren't on the peninsula.

But would you draw a border around Orlando that cuts off access to Miami and call that area "Florida" or would "Central Florida" be a better name?
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Lmao you'd be right but do you think that name is also ridiculous or?
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    When they introduced "Elsweyr" it was just the northern part, but they called it "Elsweyr".

They didn't. The zone was called Northern Elsweyr when it was released in Q2 2019. The name of the chapter was Elsweyr, whereas the name of this chapter is Necrom
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lmao you'd be right but do you think that name is also ridiculous or?

Whether they call it that or not is up to them, but It is something the players will recognize. When they introduced Southern Elsweyr, they were clearly aware of the proper name of "Pellitine" but went with the Elsweyr name because this was more easily recognized. Similarly, the northern part is not called "Anequina". Both of those names are used within their respective zones, but the zones themselves do not.

We won't know what ZOS is doing with "Telvanni Peninsula" until the entire peninsula is developed, but they have not burned any bridges. Yet.
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »

They didn't. The zone was called Northern Elsweyr when it was released in Q2 2019. The name of the chapter was Elsweyr, whereas the name of this chapter is Necrom

Here's some additional context. Here are two zone map screenshots. One from June 2019 and the other from LuckyGhost's video from this year. It was Elsweyr in 2019 and they updated it to Northern Elsweyr after the release of Southern Elsweyr. The loading screen was always correct but the map screen was not

eh60vlvbjnga.jpg
    3c69zrr5yiu1.jpg
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yeah when I heard ''Telvanni Peninsula'' and ''Necrom'' I was expecting this
    IZwZgW7.png

not this
    4jTKmQd.png
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    yeah when I heard ''Telvanni Peninsula'' and ''Necrom'' I was expecting this
    IZwZgW7.png

not this
    4jTKmQd.png

Same. Would you settle for a name like Telvanni Coast (for now) with the actual peninsula being added in the future?
    Edited by APGaming on January 26, 2023 3:05PM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip] is that area sandwiched in between deeshan, stonefalls, bal foyen and the peninsula?

Why would they leave that tiny area. It is already a [snip] mission to actually find the zomes, it is hard enough to find bal foyen on the map

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 28, 2023 12:36PM
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The houses map:
    We can see this map look stupid and dosn't make sense.
    TESO map is really the worst map of all TES games. (skyrim close to vvardenfell, no college of winterhold ect...)

eolw5ywssriw.png
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought the same. Telvanni Coast seems apt.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2nd era truly has the worst cartographers of all time.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you arnt gonna win esp when people accept retconning this easily. its best to just stay off the forums
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »

The Elsweyr zone was renamed to Northern Elsweyr when they rolled out the quarterly DLC.
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    you arnt gonna win esp when people accept retconning this easily.

The Lore is not fixed. It is very fluid, which is one of the nice things about it. Retconning would be if they decided that Telvanni Peninsua was all Imperial and made this an Imperial chapter. What ZOS has done here is just the normal settling of the Lore.

Faulgor wrote: »
    Thought the same. Telvanni Coast seems apt.

That describes the entire left and right side of the Peninsula, as I understand it.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 26, 2023 3:35PM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I propose renaming it the Telvanni Shaft, since it's just the shaft and not the tip
  • Natsirt812
    Natsirt812
    ✭✭
    Ideally, the area should be moved north and include Firewatch too as shown in the map sent by @emilyhyoyeon . With this, the Telvanni territory would be lore-accurate.
    tkkrrtztzr4j.png

But yeah, since ZoS will never make such an effort to respect the lore, renaming it "Telvanni Coast" is probably the best and most "easy" solution.

You should check on this thread @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Bill
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People are arguing the definition of a peninsula as if UESP doesn’t straight-up say that the Telvanni Peninsula is NORTH of Necrom. Necrom and below is the Central Highlands.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rename it to "Telvanni Coast" where as the northern section is the "Telvanni Peninsula"
  • Zenlun
    Zenlun
    ✭✭

Great, now all I can picture is two yeehaw dark elves busting into a Saloon ha! What would the new feature be in ESO Texas? :D
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Do you think you could push this along to the proper team? The chapter isn't "Telvanni Peninsula" so I imagine it'd be simple to just change the name on the map to "Telvanni Coast."
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It certainly does raise the question of what they'd call the actual peninsula if they ever fill that in...

Maybe we'll find out next year! The new overarching storyline that they've promised will last more than a year is called "Shadow over Morrowind". So kinda suggests we'll still be in Morrowind for next year's Chapter. Either the actual Telvanni Peninsula, or Blacklight I'd guess?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    The new overarching storyline that they've promised will last more than a year is called "Shadow over Morrowind". So kinda suggests we'll still be in Morrowind for next year's Chapter. Either the actual Telvanni Peninsula, or Blacklight I'd guess?

Is that the name of the whole arc or just something like this year's motto? If the next 1-3 years are Morrowind again, I can see people freaking out... and many not necessarily the positive way.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire