Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Does the necrom zone look too familiar with vvardenfell?

• shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the only reason why they are doing Morrowind again is because they cannot really do the one zone that has so many potential chapter spots. Because their not doing it confirms, we won't see them do hammerfell until TES 6 comes out. Them not doing it confirms TES 6 is in fact Hammerfell, like even TES Skyrim's Npc dialogue states its Hammerfell,
    It does seem like they looked to Skyrims Dlc for their inspirations.

Given they have to do Morrowind because they cannot do Hammerfell, they may have only done so much with this Morrowind Zone, maybe focusing more on Necrom proper, it might even be kind of like Hews bane. Where the city itself was more the focus. Then Mora's realm may take more center stage, in terms of explorable zones. Now its liekly both will have unique diversity to them. But I think they are focusing more on the whole threat that is happening within Mora's realm proper, so you will have a lot of explorable areas in the realm. So I think that may be where most of the players time will be, is in that realm itself.

Most of waht they showcased, seemed focused on the Oblivion realm, and showing off its diversity, so that is where i think their diverse biome team, really worked their butts off for. Possibly just reusing assets for the Morrrowind stuff to make it easier.

Lazy.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of things being similar make sense, but I was hoping at least that the Telvanni towers would get a revamp. Necrom looks cool though
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know honestly because we only saw a bit and that bit did seem similar to Vvardenfell but Rich said it has differences so proof will be in the pudding when we get to explore it.

Yes I laughed when I saw in Blackwood that ice wraiths had been reskinned into fire wraiths (with their freezing attack sound intact). And I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that there will be reskinned green wraiths in Necrom as well. And maybe the gem only Blazeborn Wolf mount that was reskinned into an Oblivion portal enemy will become some green fire creature as well.

Edited by Jaraal on January 26, 2023 12:15PM
  • Mizael
    Mizael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda expected to be honest, I just hope for apocrypha to be cool
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the little we've seen in the preview, it looks too similar to Vvadernfel (and to a lesser extent, Stonefalls and Deshaan), which makes sense since it's still in Morrowind, but I wish they came up with a new and unique variation of the landscape. The city and surrounds are probably not that substantial to fill a new zone map, so I think we'll see more creative input in the Apocrypha map. I don't know if we are still in the spiral of decreasing quality in chapter design, like the last three years have been, and the overland didn't look too exciting in that sneak peak, but I really hope it will be improved, and that the chapter will takes us back to earlier times in terms of zone design.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    robwolf666 wrote: »
    It's similar, but you can say the same about a lot of zones that neighbour each other.
    It's not just similar though, the assets and environment type are identical.
    elder-scrolls-online-necrom-1024x576.jpg
    The 2017 Vvardenfell Chapter created unique assets for its environments, so they would look similar to other Morrowind zones but still unique and distinct. This 2023 Chapter though... Outside of Necrom the Morrowind environments seem to use exactly the same assets and environment type. That's such a shame, and a huge missed opportunity to make the Telvanni Peninsula feel completely unique rather than quite literally more of the same.

So the question for that is... why? We know ZOS have amazing environment artists. Is this a sign that Apocrypha is an absolutely massive zone, so all their work hours had to be diverted there? Or is it a sign that they're relying on asset reuse heavily this year (and cancelling the usual Q4 zone) to give their art team significantly more time to work on 2024's Chapter which will coincide with the 10th anniversary for ESO? I'm hoping it's the latter, obviously :)
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pretty sure I paid for these assets a few years ago, when I bought Vardenfell chapter.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering its location, I expect many similarities to Vvardenfell and the bordering mainland regions, perhaps gradually changing from one to the other. Plus, Vvardenfell is a really distinctive biome so I don’t mind to see more along a similar theme. :)
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    At one point in the city view, I even thought Markarth. I only started playing in 2020, but I am already used to them just reusing assets with a different flare, and not providing anything really new.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's too soon to say. Sure, there's probably reused assets like the mushrooms or whatever, but overall there's going to be new sights and scenes. It has to feel contiguous with the rest of Morrowind. I'd expect it to feel somewhere between Stonefalls and Vvardenfell, flora-wise. Regardless, I'm excited to see it. Dark Elves are my 2nd favorite race, so going to take it slow with this one.
    Edited by Destai on January 26, 2023 2:44PM
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two words, Asset Limitation.

Why do you think we haven't had a truly unique new enemy since forever? Most of what you see is a new body stretched over the same bones and animations as it were.

That's not to say they don't look cool and aren't beautiful artistically.

But hungers and yaghrah and and many other examples that I haven't played in long enough to remember well are essentially the same enemy.

The houses and buildings and static objects are definitely going to be reused if all that has to happen is to tell the PC to render X tree-mushroom at Y location with no overall impact to memory instead of making new ones.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »

The most disturbing part of this image is that it looks like they are going to the classic gimmick of cliffs everywhere. Need to get to that spot 50 feet away? Sorry, have to backtrack for a mile and find the way up. So annoying!
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say neither. It's not exactly the same, but there are similarities, which makes sense. It's still Morrowind, after all.
  • RNGeeze
    RNGeeze
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope it’s more fun to traverse than Vvardenfell which is a nightmare. I like how open and easy getting around the newer zones has been. Not a big fan of the overall Morrowind aesthetics but excited to see more of the Arcanist class.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean they were bragging about new biomes and art for Telvanni Peninsula, yet it looks like a carbon copy of Vvardenfell.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Leighlaa
    Leighlaa
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely think that they look incredibly similar but I'm also ok with that. They're neighboring areas (I mean, a lot of greenshade and malabal tor are similar, much of bankorai and Alikir are similar... eastmarch and the rift? You get what I'm saying.) so it does make sense they'd share geological features.

I expect there to be a bit less ash because of the distance from the volcanoes. I expect there to still be a crapload of mushrooms though........ they're TELVANNI after all! I personally adore VVardenfell though so I have zero zero zero complaints whatsoever!!
  • Cameron991
    Cameron991
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leighlaa wrote: »
    I definitely think that they look incredibly similar but I'm also ok with that. They're neighboring areas (I mean, a lot of greenshade and malabal tor are similar, much of bankorai and Alikir are similar... eastmarch and the rift? You get what I'm saying.) so it does make sense they'd share geological features.

I expect there to be a bit less ash because of the distance from the volcanoes. I expect there to still be a crapload of mushrooms though........ they're TELVANNI after all! I personally adore VVardenfell though so I have zero zero zero complaints whatsoever!!

Yeah me too it’s one of my favorite zones ig I just wanted the newer modern zone in this chapter to be my new favorite dark elf zone in terms of design with the environment
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and my friend had high hopes that future dark elf content would have different aesthetics for the mushroom structures that did not look like veiny flesh atronach textures... Sadly ZOS loves those textures, but Necrom's architecture looks pretty cool.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate Vvardenfell deeply so I'm not looking forward to exploring this new zone. Apocrypha on the other hand is what I'm looking forward to. I LOVED the location in Dragonborn dlc along with the puzzles.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be a waste to create a whole swathe of new assets to make a landscape that should have a lot of aesthetic overlap to one already created, especially when, as noted above, the artists did such a fantastic job rendering them in the first place. Beautiful assets should absolutely not be one-and-done, imv.

I'd argue the same for the assets they made in High Isle if they ever want to do a basegame refresh. Why redo everthing when you've just last year made this gorgeous set of resources, just to leave them languish forever? If they put the work into making them in the fist place, they should use them.

I also think there's not enough evidence yet to say that they haven't added *any* unique touches to the peninsula. People are taking the question, restating it as fact and becoming outraged that this could have happened, and we don't even know yet.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron991 wrote: »
    I get that it is still Morrowind so of course we should see mushrooms and the televanni mushroom towers but I was expecting to see some different biomes and a different side of morrowind we have yet to see... I was expecting to see maybe lush bioluminescent mushroom forests or snowy northern mushrooms

I love the idea of snowy northern mushroom forests! I don't know if this is where in the world we'd find them though. For this reason I'm still holding out hope for Blacklight. One day...
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artim_X wrote: »
    Me and my friend had high hopes that future dark elf content would have different aesthetics for the mushroom structures that did not look like veiny flesh atronach textures... Sadly ZOS loves those textures, but Necrom's architecture looks pretty cool.

I just find them.... obscene. I have to try really hard not to look at them. Apocrypha? Yep, I'm good there. More of Morrowind? No thanks.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • TinyDragon
    TinyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    robwolf666 wrote: »
    It's similar, but you can say the same about a lot of zones that neighbour each other.
    It's not just similar though, the assets and environment type are identical.
    The 2017 Vvardenfell Chapter created unique assets for its environments, so they would look similar to other Morrowind zones but still unique and distinct. This 2023 Chapter though... Outside of Necrom the Morrowind environments seem to use exactly the same assets and environment type. That's such a shame, and a huge missed opportunity to make the Telvanni Peninsula feel completely unique rather than quite literally more of the same.

So the question for that is... why? We know ZOS have amazing environment artists. Is this a sign that Apocrypha is an absolutely massive zone, so all their work hours had to be diverted there? Or is it a sign that they're relying on asset reuse heavily this year (and cancelling the usual Q4 zone) to give their art team significantly more time to work on 2024's Chapter which will coincide with the 10th anniversary for ESO? I'm hoping it's the latter, obviously :)

there's a new mushroom there, the red one with the tentacle thingys

plus I think the ground cover looks quite different versus the others

And this is one screenshot- I'm waiting until PTS to decide, because we haven't seen anywhere near enough to capture the feel of the chapter imo
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has to be some differences between the two zones (Morrowind and Wardenfell) such as quest and cities. I agree that the zones look similar.

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TinyDragon wrote: »
    there's a new mushroom there, the red one with the tentacle thingys

plus I think the ground cover looks quite different versus the others

And this is one screenshot- I'm waiting until PTS to decide, because we haven't seen anywhere near enough to capture the feel of the chapter imo

The tower on the right (still outside Necrom) is new too. Also I think I've seen different Telvanni towers during the presentation. Still the fleshy look, but different shapes than the ones at Vvardenfell's Eastern coast.

Edited by Syldras on January 27, 2023 3:08AM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire