Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Does the necrom zone look too familiar with vvardenfell?

Cameron991
Cameron991
✭✭✭✭
I am beyond excited we are going back to Morrowind again I love the dark elves the most and I love the amazing landscapes of Morrowind however after seeing what we saw in the footage I worry that it will have very little difference in terms of look to that of vvardenfell. I get that it is still Morrowind so of course we should see mushrooms and the televanni mushroom towers but I was expecting to see some different biomes and a different side of morrowind we have yet to see. Necromancy looks amazing and new but the zone outside the city looks so far exactly the same as vvardenfell the rock color, mushrooms, grass looks no different then vvardenfell. I was expecting to see maybe lush bioluminescent mushroom forests or snowy northern mushrooms or something new in terms of a Morrowind we haven’t seen similar to every zone having a unique look to it like all the other Morrowind zones I hope there is more biomes we haven’t seen yet and it was just a little tease but we will see I’m still so stoked! If you disagree with me please let me know! :)

Does the necrom zone look too familiar with vvardenfell? 128 votes

Yes it looks exactly the same as vvardenfell
75% 96 votes
No it look’s unique and different then vvardenfell
25% 32 votes
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am okay with this as long as we get some quality of life updates to Oblivion portals since it's overland addition again.

There's precedent for this is we got updates for dragons in second elsweyrm
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know honestly because we only saw a bit and that bit did seem similar to Vvardenfell but Rich said it has differences so proof will be in the pudding when we get to explore it.
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes only the city seem nice
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know, didn't watch the reveal (I don't mess with hype). It's a part of Morrowind, so I do expect it will look similar, but until we're "there" it's hard to say.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen anything like enough of the zone to know how different it is to Vvardenfell. However, I wouldn't in all honesty expect it to be totally different, just that it would have its own feel but that's about more than just the zone landscape in my view.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's similar, but you can say the same about a lot of zones that neighbour each other.
  • Cameron991
    Cameron991
    ✭✭✭✭
    robwolf666 wrote: »
    It's similar, but you can say the same about a lot of zones that neighbour each other.

Yeah I agree but I also expect to see something that makes it unique yanno for example all Skyrim zones have different feels and retexturing and stuff like eastmarch and western Skyrim are both snowy but also completely different. All Morrowind zones have mushrooms and weird plants but each zone is still different like stone falls is volcanic, deshan is more like mushroom plains, and vvardenfell is more rocky. So you can tell them apart but they have slight similarities I feel necrom looks exactly like vvardenfell and I so far haven’t seen anything that’s stands out that makes it unique so far
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m not disappointed if it does look really similar, except that I don’t like the ESO style of mushrooms. Looks real… meaty… fleshy, even. Like a flesh atronach.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • Cameron991
    Cameron991
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    I’m not disappointed if it does look really similar, except that I don’t like the ESO style of mushrooms. Looks real… meaty… fleshy, even. Like a flesh atronach.

That’s fair I guess I was just hoping to see a new side of Morrowind like snowy Morrowind or like a lush pandora like bioluminescent forest that looks super beautiful I’m happy either way bc we got more dunmer I just like when they change up the look of stuff every year
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have seen just a few shots of it so far, so I don't want to judge yet. Also there's probably not a different climate than at the Eastern coast of Vvardenfell, so it would actually be illogical if it all looked completely different. Small changes - yes (and there were a few on the pictures), but not a completely different "world".
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, to me it looks exactly like the current zones of that biome. I didn't see anything that felt really unique outside of the actual city, but even that place looked kind of dull in my opinion. I wasn't expecting anything too different since logically they wouldn't be, but idk.... some little flair here and there would have been cool. It all just feels like a step back from High Isle.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of Vvardenfell does not look the same; it has different regions or biomes. What little we saw of the new zone did bear a certain resemblance with parts of eastern Vvardenfell, which seems appropriate since that part of Vvardenfell is nearest to the Telvanni peninsula. But I don't think we should form too many opinions yet, before it's even been posted to the PTS-- which is still months away.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO I would say its at least 90% cut and paste.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could care less.
    Naryu will be there.
    Thats good.
  • Cameron991
    Cameron991
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    We have seen just a few shots of it so far, so I don't want to judge yet. Also there's probably not a different climate than at the Eastern coast of Vvardenfell, so it would actually be illogical if it all looked completely different. Small changes - yes (and there were a few on the pictures), but not a completely different "world".

Yeah that’s true ig I just felt it should be more then just a little different mostly because all of our other zones that are neighboring are vastly different from each other. And I know the northern televanni peninsula is colder climate then the rest of Morrowind so I assumed we would get the northern part of the peninsula but we got the southern part
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    robwolf666 wrote: »

Such as?
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    IMHO I would say its at least 90% cut and paste.

Can't be as worse as blackwood, 99.9% cut and paste/
    Seriously I guess they were working from home in the pandemic when they made that but it is just a murkmire/shadowfen and glenumbria/cyrodiil asset flip

Seriously poor quality zone.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it looked exactly the same. When they weren't showing Necrom I wasn't sure whether I was looking at old images of Vvardenfell or new images of the upcoming chapter. A bit sad. It probably won't bother me as much in game, but I certainly expected it to look at least a little different at a first glance.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    To me it looked exactly the same. When they weren't showing Necrom I wasn't sure whether I was looking at old images of Vvardenfell or new images of the upcoming chapter. A bit sad. It probably won't bother me as much in game, but I certainly expected it to look at least a little different at a first glance.

From the picture, I'd say there are more mushrooms. To tell you the exact increase in percent, I'd have to take a look at the screenshots again, though :p No, honestly. I have the impression that the flora looks a bit more dense. And altogether it's more mountainous.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Cameron991
    Cameron991
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

From the picture, I'd say there are more mushrooms. To tell you the exact increase in percent, I'd have to take a look at the screenshots again, though :p No, honestly. I have the impression that the flora looks a bit more dense. And altogether it's more mountainous.

I do agree that it looks more mountainous and there seems to be more mushrooms imo it feels like the western side of vvardenfell foliage with the Eastern side of vvardenfell mushrooms which honestly doesn’t feel too unique it would have been cool to see something like Galen’s forest with glowing mushrooms and big mountains imo
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to say yes, was thoroughly unimpressed.

All I could think was "Morrowind Remix ft. Lil Jon"
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyLavina wrote: »
    I'd have to say yes, was thoroughly unimpressed.

All I could think was "Morrowind Remix ft. Lil Jon"

Nothing about the reveal got me even a little excited haha probably the only thing I heard or saw that got at least a "well, that's nice" out of me was the single attunable station.
    Edited by fizzylu on January 26, 2023 5:20AM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean it looks exactly like every other Morrowind zone.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, the only reason why they are doing Morrowind again is because they cannot really do the one zone that has so many potential chapter spots. Because their not doing it confirms, we won't see them do hammerfell until TES 6 comes out. Them not doing it confirms TES 6 is in fact Hammerfell, like even TES Skyrim's Npc dialogue states its Hammerfell,
    It does seem like they looked to Skyrims Dlc for their inspirations.

Given they have to do Morrowind because they cannot do Hammerfell, they may have only done so much with this Morrowind Zone, maybe focusing more on Necrom proper, it might even be kind of like Hews bane. Where the city itself was more the focus. Then Mora's realm may take more center stage, in terms of explorable zones. Now its liekly both will have unique diversity to them. But I think they are focusing more on the whole threat that is happening within Mora's realm proper, so you will have a lot of explorable areas in the realm. So I think that may be where most of the players time will be, is in that realm itself.

Most of waht they showcased, seemed focused on the Oblivion realm, and showing off its diversity, so that is where i think their diverse biome team, really worked their butts off for. Possibly just reusing assets for the Morrrowind stuff to make it easier.

Edited by Thevampirenight on January 26, 2023 10:00AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say distinct enough while staying true to both ESO and Morrowind concepts.
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a near copy/paste. The city of Necrom itself being seemingly the only unique part. The Telvanni Towers are the only part about that which irks me though, they look like they were grown around buildings like the 2017 ones, ugh.

I've kinda accepted ESO is on life support now. Two dungeons and a story DLC cut for "Bug fixes" (I know the game has some issues where Cyrodiil is concerned but when was the last time a fix for that worked?), expansion using a lot of recycled assets. ZOS is busy with their next game and ESO's suffering for it. But then, this has been the case for a while, they're just ramping up development on whatever their next project is.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Natakiro
    Natakiro
    ✭✭✭
    I was waiting for the area to really look different enough throughout the footage shown, but I was left somewhat unimpressed, though that one area with the stone arch looked cool. I really mostly dislike how the mushroom towers are still those ugly fleshy-looking ones instead of the types we have seen in Morrowind or Skyrim; I really wish they would bring back the variety of mushroom types used like in Morrowind. I was (for some reason) hoping they wouldn't just recycle the same assets for them, but I don't know why I would expect that. Admittedly, Tamriel Rebuilt with mods has definitely made me biased about it. lol

I am going to wait until I see more to be able to say, for sure. But the plane of oblivion looks great; I just hope it has enough meat to it to feel on equal footing to the Necrom overland area in terms of focus and time spent there.
    Edited by Natakiro on January 26, 2023 10:41AM
    PC-NA | Play on Desktop, Steam Deck, VR via vorpX
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen enough of it but remember you are also getting an Aprocripha zone as well. So it's really only half the expansion. I think there will be more Chimer Architecture compared to Dumner as this area is much older. Vvadenfall was only recently settled by house Dumner and was more Ashlander territory
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they have done a good job on Necrom. Everything else seems recycled from Vvardenfell, presumably because they also had to do Apocrypha (which looks great as well).

Of course I wish they could have done both areas properly or just done one, but upon reflection with overland being the way it is, I don't think anything outside the city matters to me anyway.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the provinces and geographical regions which already have multiple zones in the game, like Eastern and Western Skyrim, mainland Morrowind and Vvardenfell, Reaper's March, Northern and Southern Elseweyr and so on. I assume it will be comparable to them.

So recognisably part of Morrowind and with a lot of geography and architecture in common with not only Vvardenfell but the base game Morrowind maps too, but also some unique features.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"