The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Class Change Tokens - Request Number 73,276

• Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    If they have no plans on implementing at this time there would be no reason to actively solve the challenges.
    Again, this is entirely not what was stated. Nor is it what I asked. Nor is that necessarily true. You don't know what the challenges are and certain challenges could be linked to other things. They might overcome one challenge and find out it makes something else easier to implement, not specifically that they plan to do class change by solving the problem.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Rageypoo
    Rageypoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't ask for tokens, class changing can be part of the new expansion lore, Hermaeus Mora has the power to do this very thing, and it could be something WE EARN and unlock permanently in the game. This is infinitely better than a token, do we really have to beg them to milk us more?
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    I like your thinking
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know that we do not have any plans on implementing class changes tokens at this time. There are a number of technical challenges with implementing them, and it would take a significant amount of time to solve these challenges efficiently and safely.

Thank you for the official response! Even if disappointing, it is helpful both to know that the request has been heard and not to hold out hope for such a feature to be added.

Like others who have posted, I feel like arcanist would be a great fit for one of my pre-existing characters, but I do also enjoy creating new characters and am grateful we get two additional slots. :)
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    If they have no plans on implementing at this time there would be no reason to actively solve the challenges.
    Again, this is entirely not what was stated. Nor is it what I asked. Nor is that necessarily true. You don't know what the challenges are and certain challenges could be linked to other things. They might overcome one challenge and find out it makes something else easier to implement, not specifically that they plan to do class change by solving the problem.

These things happen. This year the answer is no, next year it may be a different story, we've all seen it before. At least they're thinking about it and know people want it. Mission accomplished for the here and now. Just give it some time.

There's also probably other things tied in with this as I had suspected but we'll leave the sauce for the goose.
    Edited by Vulkunne on February 1, 2023 9:57PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"are you actively looking to solve the challenges you've mentioned?"

I appreciate the probing, but I don't think it leads anywhere. If the answer to your question is "yes" then Gina would not have made the statement because the people who gave her that information would have known that. She would have just kept quiet. Class change tokens would be no different from any other feature that they never tell us about until they are ready to deliver on it.

Your question leads to a "no" and it is unlikely that you will ever get it answered. :disappointed:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • morrowjen
    morrowjen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Malthorne wrote: »
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Class change tokens would be detrimental to the long term health of the game. We are getting character slots so you can enjoy the game and all its content all over again with a new class.

Why would it be detrimental to the health of the game?

MMOs need three things to thrive. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content.

Class tokens take away from players repeating content and doing a variety of content.

The way achievements were implemented took away far more. I used to track down achievements various characters hadn't earned. I enjoyed doing so and it was a great way of passing time whenever I had down time in the game. Now, I rarely do anything with my alts beyond the occasional writ and/or farming. A class change token with the older achievement system would've kept things fresh and incentivized doing overland content on more than one toon.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As I don't plan on buying the chapter it doesn't matter to me. My Templar and my 18 empty slots will continue on.

No sub and no craft bag will just mean a lot less participation in the game. I will PVP and give up crafting.

But I feel for all those who had hopes for the future.

For those not buying, I'm happy to have people to play with.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know that we do not have any plans on implementing class changes tokens at this time. There are a number of technical challenges with implementing them, and it would take a significant amount of time to solve these challenges efficiently and safely.
    Perhaps a different question might be pertinent: are you actively looking to solve the challenges you've mentioned?

This is the real question.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So how exactly is it complicated when race changes change passives and Vampire and Werewolf get removed and added when you become them/Cure them, how is the Class Changing any different to removing Vampirism and Lycanthropy?

Doesn't matter though, after looking at what the NPC Arcanist's do on the PTS the new class looks really bad, the book they use appears in their hand only briefly making it look dodgy not to mention it seems more like a ranged class and unless you stack shields like a Sorceror or Templar they gonna suffer in PvP.
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on February 2, 2023 1:18AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

She did specifically state that they do not have any plans on implementing class changes tokens at this time. That clearly means there are no plans to implement it but permits them to revisit it in the future. Since there are no plans at the moment, then there is no reason for them to waste their time working on it.

Granted, we can read a lot into the part where she says there are challenges and grasp onto hope, but I would suggest not holding one's breath.

Regardless, it is clear that anyone wanting to play the new class on the live server this year will have to roll a new character.

• Braggar
    Braggar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    Please please please tell me its finally time for a class change token. I already have a character that worships Hermaeus Mora, and is practically already an arcanist. I have years invested in the character, so remaking him isn't an option.

This has been asked for years now, anyone else think its finally time for zos to make this money making machine?

I highly agree. Class change token for everyone!

szpditrv2oos.gif
    Edited by Braggar on February 23, 2023 7:14PM
  • DeathStalker
    DeathStalker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While this answer is disappointing, I guess it's understandable. However, I hope it's also understandable how terrible your ALT system is and that it's hated by so many people. Because to be honest, if your ALT system wasn't so hated, people would not despise making ALTs as much. Just ask yourself, Why do people not want to make ALTs and instead would rather have a class change.
    Edited by DeathStalker on February 2, 2023 3:55AM
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno Given that ZoS is basically recoding the game for the server re-architecture, now would be the time to tackle any technical challenges associated with class change tokens and bring this long requested feature to your customers. It would also bring no small amount of badly needed goodwill after U35's disastrous effects on PVE the end game community, the U35's Q&A cancellation that ZoS promised and then reneged on, and the extremely bug ridden bug-fixing patch U36 where basic game play functions like blocking were completely borked.

Also relevant is just a few years ago Alliance change tokens were a highly requested feature and their absence was justified by the same stance ZoS is now stating for the absence of class change tokens.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then can you please implement some QoL features when making alts? Levelling and horse upgrades being the priority?

I would gladly shave off my current max CP for the tradeoff of getting a new character to level 50.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimnaur wrote: »
    For everyone that is wanting to spend money on a class change token, why don’t you just buy the mount upgrades, the skyshards, and guilds leveled in the crown shop? I am personally against the class change token, but I know it’s been asked for on here and for games like WoW. I feel that if you only need one character, then once you do the zone completions once, then you’d never go back to it and the open world would be dead. At least with making different class characters, you are keeping the world population seem more alive. No new person is going to want to play a mmo without anyone around outside of town.

Because it would cost me over $150 whereas a class change token wouldn't.

It might.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just want a class change token to escape ZoS hate for the Templar

Heck I would even take a token that just transfered all my recpie/motif/style/trait/blueprint knowledge to another one of my characters, as I do not wish to give up on having learnt all of the above, I'd happily grind up everything else again from level 1, mount, bags, shards, skill lines, the lot
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While this answer is disappointing, I guess it's understandable. However, I hope it's also understandable how terrible your ALT system is and that it's hated by so many people. Because to be honest, if your ALT system wasn't so hated, people would not despise making ALTs as much. Just ask yourself, Why do people not want to make ALTs and instead would rather have a class change.

Largely because there are people who want to quickly resume their game where they left off, just with a new class, and with out a new home mortgage. :smile:

I think they will eventually introduce the class change token, but it will be much closer to the end of life for the game. This allows a declining population of players a new thing to spend money on, and to maybe try a class they have never tried. It will also come at a time when they are not making frequent changes to class skills, bypassing any ethical problems that will come from constant tweaking of the game balance.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    I just want a class change token to escape ZoS hate for the Templar

Heck I would even take a token that just transfered all my recpie/motif/style/trait/blueprint knowledge to another one of my characters, as I do not wish to give up on having learnt all of the above, I'd happily grind up everything else again from level 1, mount, bags, shards, skill lines, the lot

If that’s the only issue, why not keep your templar as your main crafter then? I’m not at all arguing against a class change token, but there are benefits in having your main crafter a separate character (such as all the skill points to get max benefit, although that eventually becomes a non-issue as you play a character, but also CP — I hate having to worry about switching slottables for different activities).
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to voice myself out too: we want class change tokens! I play a single character since 2014. I want to experience new skills on my beloved hero!
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why not an instant level 50 token with one condition, player must have completed the main story?
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • ZOS_Lunar
    ZOS_Lunar
    admin
    Hello!

As a reminder, we would like to ask that all posts should be kept civil, constructive, and within the guidelines of the community rules we have in place. We understand that everyone has their own opinions they want to express, but we also want the forums to be a constructive platform for ESO and its community.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it's also understandable to you how the alt system is loved by so many people, and how so many players run alts without complaint. I accept that AwA annnoyed some altoholics (mainly because the way AwA was implemented meant the change took away the character progression tracking and not because of the change to account-wide achievements per se), while also delighting a lot of other players, but the premise of your argument is wrong in my view. These tokens aren't wanted by people who don't like the alt system, they're wanted by people who in any MMO they play always run one character and don't want to run alts under any circumstances whether for time constraints or any other reasons, period.
    Edited by Tandor on February 2, 2023 9:07PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the alt system, and making/leveling atls. It's not a terrible system at all. I'm not at all interested in a class change token - I think it would be nice for people who only play one character, but it's not up to me to "vote" on.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you for the response. Considering the demand, perhaps its something that a plan should be developed for. Frankly, most people may not even care about "safely" if the issue is resetting skill lines or something. I'd gladly regrind skills rather than having to rebuild my character from the ground up, including quest completion, prior to even feeling safe to play the new chapter.

At least now we know and can plan accordingly, even if that means taking a long break to avoid burnout :/
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    [quote="DeathStalker;c-7805415"
    I hope it's also understandable to you how the alt system is loved by so many people, and how so many players run alts without complaint. I accept that AwA annnoyed some altoholics (mainly because the way AwA was implemented meant the change took away the character progression tracking and not because of the change to account-wide achievements per se), while also delighting a lot of other players, but the premise of your argument is wrong in my view. These tokens aren't wanted by people who don't like the alt system, they're wanted by people who in any MMO they play always run one character and don't want to run alts under any circumstances whether for time constraints or any other reasons, period.

^This. Some players are used to other games where you can do all specializations on one character. Personally, I love the alt system, and a character's class is deeply intertwined with their identity, so even if tokens existed, I'd still be making alts for new classes and for specs within the new classes.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to love the alt system. AWA ended that. Right now I have a few
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright, see you in June then.

The Arcanist class is what is bringing me back to ESO, so there is no practical reason for me to play (and spend money) in this game until the Expansion releases.

Oh well, it is what it is.
    Edited by JMadFour on February 2, 2023 10:38PM
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the response :) Could you pass on the feedback to those who need to hear it? It's an extremely popular request and I feel our reasons are valid for wanting them. They could even instill a limit as to how many tokens can be used per account or per character if the dev team are worried about abuse. Thanks!
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
    PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
    Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    So how exactly is it complicated when race changes change passives and Vampire and Werewolf get removed and added when you become them/Cure them, how is the Class Changing any different to removing Vampirism and Lycanthropy?

While I don't know the exact reason, I suspect it will be due to design decisions made very early on, probably database schema stuff. As a coder myself, I know I've made decisions based on the assumption that nobody would ever want X, but then X becomes a requirement and can't be done without a redesign.
    PC - NA