The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Empower needs a nerf

Jeejee
Jeejee
✭✭✭
It should not be possible to get so much damage with so little effort as by holding down one button while also gaining unlimited resources. Abilities that actually cost resources should be the main source of damage
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

After U35 I believe we have all suffered enough nerfs for a while.

If you don't like empower don't use it.
    PS5/NA
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about it. It is true that heavy attack builds are too strong but if they're nerfed there would be a lot of complaining and displeasure and no easy "just use a heavy attack build" way into endgame, which not saying I agree with but I don't think the game can handle another riot. Heavy attack builds do add a new style of play but it is true that it's less effort than non heavy attack builds and thus shouldn't have the same damage and more survivability.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jeejee wrote: »
    It should not be possible to get so much damage with so little effort as by holding down one button while also gaining unlimited resources. Abilities that actually cost resources should be the main source of damage

An optimized one-bar build can hit 80K on the trial dummy with the right gear/skills/rotation. An optimized two-bar build can easily hit 30K-40K higher on the trial dummy. Scale that down and we're looking at 40K vs 60K. It's not the same damage for less effort, and quite frankly if you don't like that play style then carry on with your two-bar build and for the love of the Nine, stop asking ZOS for nerfs. It literally has no bearing on your gameplay, so let it be.
    Soarora wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about it. It is true that heavy attack builds are too strong but if they're nerfed there would be a lot of complaining and displeasure and no easy "just use a heavy attack build" way into endgame, which not saying I agree with but I don't think the game can handle another riot. Heavy attack builds do add a new style of play but it is true that it's less effort than non heavy attack builds and thus shouldn't have the same damage and more survivability.

Once again, it's not even remotely the same damage, and more survivability is questionable as well.

I'm assuming that when people complain about heavy attack builds, that they're referring to one-bar builds, right?

People just need to be honest say that they don't like one-bar builds. You don't like it? Don't use it. The bottom line is that one-bar builds have opened up the ability for more people to play more content, and more people playing more content is not a terrible thing for the game. Think of it is a stepping stone, and possibly the impetus that people need to learn more about the game, and ultimately transition to a standard two-bar build.
    Edited by CGPsaint on January 2, 2023 11:56PM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

An optimized one-bar build can hit 80K on the trial dummy with the right gear/skills/rotation. An optimized two-bar build can easily hit 30K-40K higher on the trial dummy. Scale that down and we're looking at 40K vs 60K. It's not the same damage for less effort, and quite frankly if you don't like that play style then carry on with your two-bar build and for the love of the Nine, stop asking ZOS for nerfs. It literally has no bearing on your gameplay, so let it be.

Once again, it's not even remotely the same damage, and more survivability is questionable as well.

I'm assuming that when people complain about heavy attack builds, that they're referring to one-bar builds, right?

People just need to be honest say that they don't like one-bar builds. You don't like it? Don't use it. The bottom line is that one-bar builds have opened up the ability for more people to play more content, and more people playing more content is not a terrible thing for the game. Think of it is a stepping stone, and possibly the impetus that people need to learn more about the game, and ultimately transition to a standard two-bar build.

Uhhh no, it definitely is the same damage. How do I know this? I've seen 90k+ parses, I've seen people do same dps as me in-content on a HA build, I've seen several endgamers switch TO HA because its just easier with the same damage, to the point that those same players are hosting all HA trifecta runs. There's nothing wrong with having fun but objectively an easier build shouldn't have the same damage as one that is more difficult. And yes, they have more survivability, at least from what I've seen with oakensoul HA sorcs. I know this because I've seen them solo vet dlc bosses right in front of me and they just won't die. I do not care one bit if someone is using a one-bar build, but I do care that those same people rush ahead in dungeons and that people are switching to it just because it's easy. I don't think that one-bar shouldn't be viable nor do I think that ha should be obliterated, but I do think it needs to be toned down just a little bit.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im getting a little bored of the heavy attack build style i even made a 2 bar non oakensoul build on another account. But i know if i go back to light attack weaving ill just get super p'd off by barswaps and abilities not going off. Quite the conundrum for me, more nerfs i suspect will just leave less people in endgame if thats the desire.
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    The only heavy attacks that aren't fair are Resto and Lightning because they do damage even before full completion and you don't even have to maintain aim on the target after the first contact.

Other than that, OP is wrong, longer hold times for attacks is less flex room for dodge and block and sprinting out of danger. Also, if you have to interrupt that attack to do anything else, you're losing dps.

This gets overlooked everytime the tooic returns.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get at least some utility back for PvP? They stripped the ability from that side of the game completely without a second thought.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the monsters preservation society of Tamriel? 😅

Sorry ... 🤭

The change to "monsters only" is the single most reasonable thing ZOS has done the entire last year.

And survivability of Oakensoul HA Sorcs has to do with Sorcerer class and Oakensoul Ring, not heavy attacks.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on January 10, 2023 9:17AM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhh no, it definitely is the same damage. How do I know this? I've seen 90k+ parses, I've seen people do same dps as me in-content on a HA build, I've seen several endgamers switch TO HA because its just easier with the same damage, to the point that those same players are hosting all HA trifecta runs. There's nothing wrong with having fun but objectively an easier build shouldn't have the same damage as one that is more difficult. And yes, they have more survivability, at least from what I've seen with oakensoul HA sorcs. I know this because I've seen them solo vet dlc bosses right in front of me and they just won't die. I do not care one bit if someone is using a one-bar build, but I do care that those same people rush ahead in dungeons and that people are switching to it just because it's easy. I don't think that one-bar shouldn't be viable nor do I think that ha should be obliterated, but I do think it needs to be toned down just a little bit.
    While I will agree that there are places where heavy attack builds excel (e.g. trash pulls in dungeons), "seeing" 90k+ isn't really relevant to anything. For comparison, I've seen 135k+ non-HA parses which means objectively they 100% do not do the same damage. That they do enough damage to clear content shouldn't be a problem for you.

I also know some people who have swapped. If they want something a bit easier or a bit lazier, why do I care? For years peope have complained that X class is easy because you only push X number of buttons (sorcs and templar). There are even memes around that the only relevant skill on templar is jabs/sweeps. Why are you not complaining about those as well? Just let them have fun.

Edited by Troodon80 on January 3, 2023 8:15AM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry ... 🤭

The change to "monsters only" is the single most reasonable thing ZOS has done the entire last year.

And survivability of Oakensoul HA Sorcs has to do with Sorcerer class and Oakenaoul Ring, not heavy attacks.

Well yeah, obviously we can’t have an 80% increase to heavy attack damage to players, but the value never used to be 80%. The original buff it granted was a % increase in damage to your next attack, yet it’s gone on this crazy journey to becoming useless in PvP, now you have skills that were built around it, that weren’t updated with the changes, that have become useless.
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can we all agree it doesn’t matter cause this is just pve related and pve it’s not something to get worked up about than pvp cause you know being one shotted by a player isn’t fun compared to pve where you can melt a npc boss in different ways
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They frankly just need to do Major and Minor Empower with Major Empower buffing heavy attacks and Minor buffing light attacks.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Endgamers" are not switching to heavy attacks. The heavy attack build may not be as bad as it was previously, but it is far from competitive. Probably a good balance tbh, the reduced effort results in reduced damage, but still able to clear most non-HM content.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Empower is the one single thing update 35 got right.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sorry ... 🤭

And survivability of Oakensoul HA Sorcs has to do with Sorcerer class and Oakenaoul Ring, not heavy attacks.

Well yeah, obviously we can’t have an 80% increase to heavy attack damage to players, but the value never used to be 80%. The original buff it granted was a % increase in damage to your next attack, yet it’s gone on this crazy journey to becoming useless in PvP, now you have skills that were built around it, that weren’t updated with the changes, that have become useless.

Oh. There is a way to still hit PVP players with full empowered PVE heavies.

For PVE, there is no reason to nerf HA builds. It really doesn't matter at all. Given how dead the raiding scene is, anything that makes PUG players more effective is necessary. To be honest if I'm farming Vateshran or one of the other arenas for the umpteenth time, I want the easiest, lowest effort build possible.
    Edited by katorga on January 3, 2023 3:35PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Endgamers" are not switching to heavy attacks. The heavy attack build may not be as bad as it was previously, but it is far from competitive. Probably a good balance tbh, the reduced effort results in reduced damage, but still able to clear most non-HM content.

They… are? I don’t know what to tell you, I’m seeing it with my own eyes all over the place. The “it does same damage and is easier” argument is right from someone who switched to HA.

Also, my argument on seeing 90k+ parses is in response to arguing they can only hit 80k. I think 80k is fine, but 90k and even 100k I just don’t think makes sense to be so easily obtainable (coming from someone who worked really hard to get those numbers…). Yeah, this is peak accessibility, like I said in my first post there will be a riot if its nerfed because HA is the easy way out.

And again, I’m glad people are having fun my problem just lies in that HA is overtaking 2-bar, particularly when it comes to dungeon PUGs where almost every dungeon 1-2 dps are HA and frequently those same DPS do not do mechanics and/or pull before tank, but do not die due to survivability. So really, nerf oakensoul survivability I suppose.

I may be in a losing battle but I will die on this hill so I will leave you all alone now, have fun, it’s a game anyways.
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as a tank that mostly do vet pledges with pugs I'll thank Zos forever to introduced Oakensoul and HA builds.

Even with (in your opinion) this overpowered buff, the average player still do very few damage. I'm in a full support build to help pugs (nazaray, turning tide, yolna) but 80% of the time it takes 40 minutes to clear Banished Cells 1 or Crypt of Hearts 1 (don't let me talk about things like City of Ash 2 or the evil dlc dungeons....).

Imagine doing vet dungeons without empower, oakensoul and the [snip] sorc builds.... :D

[edited for minor bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 6, 2023 6:36PM
    PC-EU
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1.) I can push 90K on a trial dummy with a perfect rotation, but that doesn't translate to 90K in actual content.

2.) If one-bar/HA builds are pumping out the same or more damage than your standard build, then that 100% a you problem.

3.) The survivability that you're referring to is due to Critical Surge being such an amazing passive heal and really has nothing to do with a one-bar/HA build. My Sorc is easily my tankiest DPS character due to Crit Surge/Hardened Ward. That being said, I prefer to run my Warden because I'm pushing higher damage and bring more group utility/healing.

4.) Rushing ahead in dungeons is not even remotely exclusive to one-bar/HA builds.

You obviously don't like one-bar/HA builds, but from your own comments it sounds like you're placing the blame for your issues in the wrong place. Play the game the way that you want to, and if you're still having issues then I suggest you find like-minded people to play with so that you can avoid the perceived issues that are clearly triggering you.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to point out that the people who can pull 90k+ with the one-bar build are also likely people who can do much better with that on a two-bar build.

Personally, I don't get anywhere near 90k with my HA build. If the HA builds get nerfed just that the big nerf of U35 it's the mid to lower level players who get hurt the most.

PS5/NA
  • Malmer
    Malmer
    ✭✭✭
    i liked the old empower and prefer to get them back or a change that not only HA builds have a benefit from it
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damage was nerfed to such an extent that heavy attack builds are now forced to use empower to get back their lost damage, so no empower is fine as is.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we all agree it doesn’t matter cause this is just pve related and pve it’s not something to get worked up about than pvp cause you know being one shotted by a player isn’t fun compared to pve where you can melt a npc boss in different ways
    I don't think it's fair or right to say that because something is PvE or PvP that it somehow doesn't matter. A lot of issues have been let through in PvP because predominantly PvE players didn't care, and vice versa.
    Can we get at least some utility back for PvP? They stripped the ability from that side of the game completely without a second thought.
    They did the same with Mist Form and most people don't care that it was gutted and made completely useless (as in, using it in PvE content will kill you; the ability is useless). I doubt you'll get much traction with that request because "it was deserved." People don't like getting one-shot by someone doing a heavy attack for 40k crits.
    I'd like to point out that the people who can pull 90k+ with the one-bar build are also likely people who can do much better with that on a two-bar build.

Personally, I don't get anywhere near 90k with my HA build. If the HA builds get nerfed just that the big nerf of U35 it's the mid to lower level players who get hurt the most.
    Agree with this. I can do 98k on a trial dummy with an Oakensoul heavy attack build, and I can do ~130k with my magicka dragonknight using a "proper" rotation. It shouldn't need to be said but, like stamplar of old, while easy to reach its ceiling that ceiling is a hard cap. I'd expect a beginner to be doing around 75k. The lower end is around 80k, while the upper end is around 100k (it does require pets and it does require using them; i.e. Tormentor needs to be activated prior to 50%). If ZOS wanted to close the gap between floor and ceiling, this would actually be a good start if it was intentional. There's basically no excuse for people to be doing 5k DPS in content when all you need to do is hold down your mouse button.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone who frequently runs vet trials, I can say there has not been a shift to heavy attack builds. And who cares what someone does on a trial dummy. Seriously.
  • Kalterran
    Kalterran
    ✭✭
    The original poster seems to be suggesting that people who cannot do complex rotations (regardless of whether this is due to lack of interest, physical issues, or just plain lag) somehow do not deserve to be able to play whole parts of the game.

I can do both HA rotations and LA rotations; if you are doing LA rotations competently then the LA rotations should be getting you to about 120k on a target dummy, whereas HA rotations are more 80-90k. This is exactly the kind of difference that is appropriate, someone with good ping should not be doing twice or even more damage than someone with lag.

Since u35/36, I have really enjoyed being able to encourage numerous new people into veteran trial and arena content through heavy attack builds. As some are getting better and learning the content, some are starting to get interested and learning to improve to LA builds.

But HA builds give a raid lead an easy way to fill raids with people that can usefully do the content, and give players new to veteran trials a boost to be able to make the leap into harder content.

This is only good for the game, and if we want to have an endgame raiding community, we cannot whine about other people getting into it using easier builds "not deserving" the ability to play a game and even to help us and our community.
  • Cayr
    Cayr
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree. Sorcerer Oakensoul HA builds can hit over a 100k with heavy attacks and casting no skills. You can't tell me that is not absolutely broken.

At the bare minimum, Empower should be reverted to the former 40% buff to make it even a bit balanced. It would still hit for about 60-70k DPS (assuming you use skills as well), which is more than enough to comfortably DD any veteran trials, especially since the build is so simple that you lose barely any dps while handling mechanics. It'd give new players an easy option to get into veteran content, but wouldn't be so OP as to discourage people from exploring other options.

Edited by Cayr on January 7, 2023 12:47AM
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cayr wrote: »
    Completely agree. Sorcerer Oakensoul HA builds are currently hitting over a 100k with ONLY heavy attacks and casting none of your skills. You can't tell me that is not absolutely broken.

Show me your parse with a Sorc hitting 100K using zero skills. Even if there is 1 person who can hit 100K, that is not the norm. Stop trying to gatekeep content because people aren't playing the way that you want them to. It just makes you sound like an elitist and brings nothing positive to a struggling game.

• rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭

Why? What are your reasons?
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a player put the work in to get the gear to make the fully endorsed heavy attack playstyle work who are you to say they can't? They still need to do mechanics and move their feet, and if they do that better when they don't have to worry about a 10 skill rotation and are dealing adequate damage then I don't see the problem.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    An optimized one-bar build can hit 80K on the trial dummy with the right gear/skills/rotation.
    Wrong, an really optimized one bar build even can hit up to about 100k. Just non optimizes pure heavy attack builds hit for 80k, its the minimum they get if they dont do something totally wrong on an oakensoul one bar build.
    An optimized two-bar build can easily hit 30K-40K higher on the trial dummy. Scale that down and we're looking at 40K vs 60K.
    Wrong again! You cant just scale both values the same way. At least not in unoptimized situations like dungeons. The one bar build wastes some buffs on the trial which become relevant, if they arent already present in the group (like dungeons) + the two bar build will miss plenty buffs from the trial dummy that make him really strong. So in the end, both will do similar damage in unoptimized groups (like dungeons), while one takes literally no effort but the other does take plenty effort just to get to the same level. It can even happen that the one bar build, just because of the oakensoul ring alone is even stronger than a build that does 30-40k more damage on a trial dummy.

Especially if you consider that you are all time prebuffed with the ring while you have a built up time with any non oakensoul ring build. Especially in short trash fights in unoptimized groups it can even happen that the one bar build does almost twice as much damage. Again, for literally no effort.

But if you are talking about optimized groups than both would do the amount of damage they do on a trial dummy if not even more. But this cant be the case because you are explicitly talking about sacling down the damage = down to a non optimized situation.
    Wrong, its not questionable, its fact. Just look at the buffs the oakensoul ring gives.

Minor Aegis: A buff a damage dealer literally never gets without oakensoul (its usually only available on tank trial gear).
    Minor Protection: A buff most damage dealer wont have, because only a few classes can get that buff without sacrificing damage, which you dont do if you really want to hit higher than someone with oakensoul.
    Major Resolve: As far as I know only Sorcerer and Werewolves can get this buff without sacrificing damage. So also absolute uncommon on damage dealers and werewolf damage dealers arent that great as far as I know.

This are 3 defensive buffs non oakensoul damage dealers usually dont have and probably never have all 3 at the same time and they add definetaly some noticeable defense.

So its absolute fact that oakensoul ring wearer have a better defense than the standard non oakensoul user. Not even considering that the usual heavy attack user sets (like sergeants mail) even add extra health other damage dealers dont get. Further you literally alway can go 2 stat food with health + max ressources because you dont need sustain on a heavy attack build, too, which makes them even tankier without sacrificing any damage and without putting any more effort in.
    People just need to be honest say that they don't like one-bar builds. You don't like it? Don't use it.
    You could say the same argument about literally anything broken or even about cheats and it might be valid as long as it just affects ones solo play / experience but in an multiplayer game like ESO this argument is absolute invalid.

Also this ring comes very close to something like pay 2 win, because it literally enables any player to win content just by paying for high isle and get that ring, so he could do content he couldnt before and this without any effort. Solo arenas get almost a joke with those builds.
    Think of it is a stepping stone, and possibly the impetus that people need to learn more about the game, and ultimately transition to a standard two-bar build.
    True, but the thing is that I doubt that this will happen often in reality.

The reason is that you get a very high level damage output with 0 effort through oakensoul and such builds. The problem is, just in the moment someone will try a 2 bar build he will miserably fail (if not already a great player), because it will take not just a bit of effort someone needs to do better, you have to be among the best players (maybe the 5% best of the whole playerbase) to be better than what you get for free by using the oakensoul ring. There is no gradually improvement by switching from 1 bar oakensoul to 2 bar.

Its a giant step, a much bigger stepping stone than improvement was before. And its so giant that probablly less player will do that step ever in the future (because why should they, if its working good enough and the effort they had to put in is so crazy bigger?).

Pre oakensoul improvement was gradual, so you could directly see the benefits of your effort but this was killed with the oakensoul ring. So in reality I fear that the ring accomplishes the exact opposite. And once a player discoveres this ring there will be no further improvment for most of them.

I am really not sure how to fix it without removeing / overnerfing the whole thing, which will enrage all the players that need this ring to be good. But on the other side I dont think it will be good thing for the game if it remains this way the long term. It just kills any desire to get better if anyone can do good by using a single item. This will lead to less diversity and make 99% of other gear and builds obsolete, so it might get addressed sooner or later.

Sooner would be better for the game long term, because less player had discoverd and used it and thus less player will be enraged, further less good player probably had left because they dont see a point in playing a game which doesnt reward effort anymore.
    Edited by KilianDermoth on January 6, 2023 5:48PM