Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Love, love, Arox The Mutilator, I want him as a non combat pet, not just a house guest.

Romilly
Romilly
✭✭✭
Hi,

Would it be possible to make a house-guest also accompany me outside? I mean we can do the inverse, make pets house guests.

Rom

(editted Aroz typo)
Edited by Romilly on January 3, 2023 7:10AM
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's Arox. A few of us asked for him as a companion.

Of course all the way back in early 2017 a few of us asked for bard NPCs in our house - basically house guests - and we got house guests and music boxes. Even a mime. No bard, however, ever materialized. *shrug* I'm not sure how much good it does to ask.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MageCatF4F wrote: »
    Even a mime.

A mime no one asked for and most people find uncanny.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE AROX THE MUTILATOR SO MUCH
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arox is a Deadlands Daedrat, which was a non-combat pet featured in the Ayleid Crown Crates.

While he may not have the lines, you can at least have someone who looks like him running after you. Unfortunately you need to wait until the next time those crates are featured.
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, if he was a "pet" he wouldn't talk, and if he was a "companion" he wouldn't be able to equip stuff. Your best bet is just pretending the Deadlands Daedrat is him.
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and people should stop asking for existing NPCs from storylines as companions. That's not going to happen for a number of logistical reasons. Companions will always be new characters I'm sure.
    Edited by aipex8_ESO on December 29, 2022 11:13PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aipex8_ESO wrote: »
    Oh, and people should stop asking for existing NPCs from storylines as companions. That's not going to happen for a number of logistical reasons. Companions will always be new characters I'm sure.

I think if they wanted that, there would be solutions. Like disabling a companion during older story quests that involve them. You already have the issue of companions duplicating (as companion and story npc) at the end of main quests, by the way, where they show up at the party even while you have them active as a companion at the same time.
    Yeah, if he was a "pet" he wouldn't talk

I guess many people would like Arox as a talking pet. It would be technically possible to have him make comments while travelling.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I think if they wanted that,

And there it is, I think if they wanted that they would have started off with a story character from the chapter as a companion. As-is, it sounds like a coding nightmare, so I'm sure they don't want that. I'm not just trying to be a contrarian, if I could have Lyranth with me at all times calling me Little Mortal, I would love it!

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And there it is, I think if they wanted that they would have started off with a story character from the chapter as a companion. As-is, it sounds like a coding nightmare, so I'm sure they don't want that. I'm not just trying to be a contrarian, if I could have Lyranth with me at all times calling me Little Mortal, I would love it!

I'm not sure how much they had the companion system in mind years ago before it was introduced. Of course I know that developing something like that takes some time, but I'm doubtful they were already planning that within the first few years of ESO. And that's the time where most fan favorites people want as companions come from, be it Razum-dar, Naryu or Jakarn (although I'm not sure if they still like Jakarn that much after his change of character in High Isle, but that's a different topic).

The more I think about it, I could imagine ZOS not caring for character duplicates during older quests that much anyway. I mean, they also don't care for dozens of the same companion running around at the same place, which isn't less immersion-breaking (and other player's companions don't even get a randomized/neutral appearance if we see them, and can't even wear helmets).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just need him to come round again in the crown store. I missed him :(
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aerox the mutilator should be a companion.
    Giving you advice on how to destroy and annihilate your enemies during combat.
    Then praising you on how much you destroyed and annihilated your enemies.
    Dont forget the way he would have humiliated your enemies as they fell before your feet.
    Aerox the mutilator would be a great companion.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will always co-sign things like this because I love Arox.

I'd even love some cheap cop-out like equipping him into your satchel (like during the quests with him anyway), but instead of having to force interaction to get a comment, he just randomly pops off with lines a bit like the Augur of the Obscure does during the Psjiic questlines when you get close to a breach. I mean, basically the code architecture is already there for something that straddles the companion/non-combat pet line like that.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arox is a Deadlands Daedrat

wow spoilers

:|
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also love Arox. I would enjoy a pet with periodic speaking line comments.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just pretend he is in your pack.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jtm1018 wrote: »
    Dont forget the way he would have humiliated your enemies as they fell before your feet.

I would really pay actual cash for this.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Although I just discovered I must have missed his very short tenure even as a house guest! Or is he still up somewhere I didnt notice?
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I actually have the Daedrat pet, but without his acerbic commentary and glowing eyes, it's not the same!
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Romilly wrote: »
    Although I just discovered I must have missed his very short tenure even as a house guest! Or is he still up somewhere I didnt notice?

sadly he is not. He was up only a short time and I did not get to him in the questline until after he left the store. I was gutted.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    jtm1018 wrote: »

I would really pay actual cash for this.

So would I.

And as an alternative I'd like The Augur of the Obscure carry out the same functions - reminding me to take a potion just after I'd done it, berating me if I missed a DoT timer, asking me why I'm not using my ultimate... basically all the timer options you can get from addons but provided slightly late and in his sardonic manner.

And after I'd won he'd tell me how he'd have done things better, and that he'd be willing to educate me but I'd never understand.