The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Major Annoyance - Companions with an Ice Staff can steal taunt

tomofhyrule
tomofhyrule
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I was just fighting the Protector of Galen while a few other players were coming in. She was standing in place the whole time not moving, and then right near the end of the fight she took off and went running away from me. My taunt was still active, but it was like someone else just taunted her off of me. I had to chase her down to get it back - she wasn't overtaunted so I thought she just shed it randomly (I've heard some people mention taunt's had some weirdness lately even though I don't usually see any issues), but then she did it again.

Once she died, I found out a player showed up whose Ember had a frost staff.

I checked the skills - the other Companion skills that taunt (Provoke from the Sword and Board line and Savage Instinct from the Undaunted line) have a special restriction that they will not use it when the enemy is already taunted by a player. However Destructive Blast from the Destro Staff line does not have that restriction. Obviously it can't because the fire and lightning versions do not mess with taunt so they should still be able to be used, but the fact that Frost Staff Companions can steal taunt is a major annoyance to those of us who don't play as DPS mains.

I did see that Companion taunts don't work like player taunts—I could take taunt back right away without causing the boss to overtaunt—but the fact that the boss can still have my taunt overridden by a Companion's and move away from where I placed them because of a companion is really frustrating. If the skill can't be given a restriction like "Frost Blast will not be used if the target is already taunted," can Companions' taunts be programmed to NOT override a player's taunt?
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You simply do not slot that skill with no-tank ice staff.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do not know the ice staff pain.
    As a tank main, when the ice staff originally was made a tanking desto able to taunt, it used to be on heavy attack and pretty much every other dungeon I would do would have some (ignorant of the change) "idiot" who did not know about the change to ice desto and would be aggroing the bosses.
    This happened for months, constantly. I would even get called a crap tank by randoms who didn't even know they are stealing the aggro, one time I even got kicked for having a desto because "tanks do not ever use desto staffs"

At least now they added the taunt to a skill, destructive clench.

So for you, just unslot that skill on the companion.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you unslot it from another player’s companion, though? OP mentioned a different player had the Ember with the ice staff.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are quite a few players that don't handle their companions very well at world bosses and dolmen. I resorted to slotting a taunt myself to try and avoid the worst chaos. It is what it is.
    Ice staff does have the advantage that it will prevent the companion from dodge rolling and leashing/resetting the fight.
    Edited by Snamyap on December 29, 2022 10:31AM
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it's way more annoying getting the aggro taken off of my tank companion from a "tank player" who doesn't know mudcrab about tanking while i'm playing DD.

I'm a tank main and i played everything up to half of the raid hard modes so i'm not that bad at it but seeing those cheeseheads with their 60k health DK wearing Ebon Armory and Warrior-Poet because "mE t0Nk!" and then running for their life because they still suck and die off quickly makes me going enrage every other time.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    As a tank main, when the ice staff originally was made a tanking desto able to taunt, it used to be on heavy attack and pretty much every other dungeon I would do would have some (ignorant of the change) "idiot" who did not know about the change to ice desto and would be aggroing the bosses.
    This happened for months, constantly. I would even get called a crap tank by randoms who didn't even know they are stealing the aggro, one time I even got kicked for having a desto because "tanks do not ever use desto staffs"

Believe me. I'm a tank main—I only tank in group content. I know how annoying ice staves used to be.

My big problem with frost staves in general though is now something else: they're required. I don't like staff tanking, and my main's story/RP ideas have him with a shield permanently stuck to his hand. Yet in group content, I'm a "crap tank" because I'd prefer to double SnB instead. There's just so much you can't do with SnB—no weapon-neutral ranged interrupt, no ability to have a full-strength crusher. I mean, I have the stick set up for when I need it in raids or HMs, but that doesn't mean I like running it.

I'd really love if they changed the Inner Rage morph to have an interrupt instead of just guaranteeing the meh synergy from that.

Anyway, "unslot the skill" isn't that effective for me since it's not my companion who's running it. I have all of my Companions set up as DPS. But I can't help if someone else runs up with a frost Companion, especially since everyone is suggesting "give your companion an ice staff!" as the solution to get them to stop roll-dodging. I feel like this'll get even worse when we eventually get the Warden companion and people will theme them with ice staves.

I was even wondering if this is the main problem that people have been saying that taunt seems to shed randomly for a while now. If a Companion steals taunt, it seems like it sheds since a Companion can't cause overtaunt, but it does still cause the boss to flip around and run out of where it's placed.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on December 29, 2022 12:50PM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe me. I'm a tank main—I only tank in group content. I know how annoying ice staves used to be.

My big problem with frost staves in general though is now something else: they're required. I don't like staff tanking, and my main's story/RP ideas have him with a shield permanently stuck to his hand. Yet in group content, I'm a "crap tank" because I'd prefer to double SnB instead. There's just so much you can't do with SnB—no weapon-neutral ranged interrupt, no ability to have a full-strength crusher. I mean, I have the stick set up for when I need it in raids or HMs, but that doesn't mean I like running it.

I'd really love if they changed the Inner Rage morph to have an interrupt instead of just guaranteeing the meh synergy from that.

Anyway, "unslot the skill" isn't that effective for me since it's not my companion who's running it. I have all of my Companions set up as DPS. But I can't help if someone else runs up with a frost Companion, especially since everyone is suggesting "give your companion an ice staff!" as the solution to get them to stop roll-dodging. I feel like this'll get even worse when we eventually get the Warden companion and people will theme them with ice staves.

I was even wondering if this is the main problem that people have been saying that taunt seems to shed randomly for a while now. If a Companion steals taunt, it seems like it sheds since a Companion can't cause overtaunt, but it does still cause the boss to flip around and run out of where it's placed.

I have not tanked group content for years as I have been not playing but why would an ice staff be required now?
    Brittle?
    That is just meta *** crap, last time I played it was teh same but with lightening desto for concussion.

Anyway I found companions just randomly aggro bosses anyway even without a taunt on them, like the priority of the bosses like world bosses is to kill and target the companion first, which would make sense seeing they are made for solo play by low skilled player.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not tanked group content for years as I have been not playing but why would an ice staff be required now?
    Brittle?
    That is just meta *** crap, last time I played it was teh same but with lightening desto for concussion.

Anyway I found companions just randomly aggro bosses anyway even without a taunt on them, like the priority of the bosses like world bosses is to kill and target the companion first, which would make sense seeing they are made for solo play by low skilled player.

Companions don't "randomly aggro bosses" unless they have a taunt slotted. It doesn't work that way. Also, nice dig at people who choose to use companions. "Low skill". Cute.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'm leveling companions on new account in public dungeon.

so, miri and ember with frost staff (without blast) they still agro part of the mobs away or even bosses.
    bastian and isobel - sword and board - when they are directly in front of me i can't target boss through them. as they are mine companions collecting mobs has become an exercise, as they always run to what i'm targeting - i'm going clockwise - so mobs run after them :smile:

i do see how it may be useful for low lvl characters and also annoyance in particular situations...
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »

Brittle?

Companions don't "randomly aggro bosses" unless they have a taunt slotted. It doesn't work that way. Also, nice dig at people who choose to use companions. "Low skill". Cute.

That is EXACTLY what they do.
    If you and say 2 others go to a world boss and fight the world boss with just your companion, nobody taunts the boss, watch as soon after the boss will stop aggro on you or the other 2 and just go and whale solely on the companion..
    It is exactly how they were designed, obviously to take aggro from the player. Just like if you run through a dungeon or delve, your companion will aggro random adds and take them far away from you, destroying CC. They are more harmful for DPS than anything.

And yes they were clearly created to allow noob players have a buddy they are in control of to do low skill content with, hence why you can't use them to do a bloody trail with a 6 man team and 6 companions or if you tried to do a vet or vet DLC dungeon your companion will be completely useless and die.

Yes, they are created for noobs and low skill players. they aren't created for vet end game players.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you and say 2 others go to a world boss and fight the world boss with just your companion, nobody taunts the boss, watch as soon after the boss will stop aggro on you or the other 2 and just go and whale solely on the companion..
    It is exactly how they were designed, obviously to take aggro from the player. Just like if you run through a dungeon or delve, your companion will aggro random adds and take them far away from you, destroying CC. They are more harmful for DPS than anything.

And yes they were clearly created to allow noob players have a buddy they are in control of to do low skill content with, hence why you can't use them to do a bloody trail with a 6 man team and 6 companions or if you tried to do a vet or vet DLC dungeon your companion will be completely useless and die.

Yes, they are created for noobs and low skill players. they aren't created for vet end game players.

[snip] Even highly skilled players use companions because they know what those are capable of and what not.

I like having my Isobel taking the boss off of us so my girl and i can deal damage while her companion is getting out the heals. And we're talking DLC vet dungeons here, not FG1. Do they die in stupid? Yes, they do. Are they still useful to us? Absolutely. Because we know how to utilise them and so can you. If you're good enough to compensate your companions shortcommings they can help you a ton. And we did a nRG run with 6 people and 6 companions at one point, it was the most chaotic and fun thing ever so there's that.

[edited for minor baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 30, 2022 5:43PM
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    And we did a nRG run with 6 people and 6 companions at one point, it was the most chaotic and fun thing ever so there's that.

I wouldnt advise it with cloudrest. I did that one and it gets eery quiet upstairs when people go into portal and the companions go with them!

Edited by fizl101 on December 30, 2022 3:31PM
    Soupy twist
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

I am a high level end game trial tank main....[snip] you talking about.
    As I said, go try yourself, go solo if you want. Go aggro a world boss, no taunt slotted in the companion and watch soon after the world boss just auto locks aggro on the companion. So much it will take you to slot a taunt to take the aggro back.

[snip]
    [edited for baiting, profanity bypass & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 30, 2022 5:42PM
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

[snip]

I am a high level end game trial tank main....[snip] you talking about.
    As I said, go try yourself, go solo if you want. Go aggro a world boss, no taunt slotted in the companion and watch soon after the world boss just auto locks aggro on the companion. So much it will take you to slot a taunt to take the aggro back.

[snip]
    [edited for baiting, profanity bypass & to remove quote]

As I have mentioned on several other threads I have been soloing WBs (truly solo, no companion) with my stam DK when someone has come along with their companion who immediately pulls the boss out of my standard.

A "normal" player might use the synergy to tether the boss to my standard, but companions just taunt them out of it.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »

Brittle?

I assume it works like in any boss fights with multiple players and no tank, enemy will switch target randomly.
    I assume it works randomly based on number of attacks on boss so people with weaving, AoE and probably attacks considered multiple attacks over time is more likely to get agro than some who just HA.
    Later is also more like companions who don't do lots of attacks so is less likely to get agro.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This discussion reminds me of how I feel about Ring of the Pale Order. Sure is a bummer when something out if your control can completely invalidate what you bring to the table, isn't it? But at least in this case, we can re-taunt.

Since the other taunts don't work when a player has taunt, I think this is an oversight and it would be nice if it was adjusted in a similar fashion.

My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this a “major annoyance”? It’s a world boss and people who fight it completely random anyway. It might have been other players stealing aggro as tanks with exactly the same outcome (might be even worse actually because you can intentionally troll others by taunting and resetting boss to prevent it from being killed). If someone dies it’s entirely their fault. Just nuke it, get your rewards and move on. Absolutely nonissue.

Edited by tonyblack on December 31, 2022 4:32AM