The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Elder Scrolls The Movie

• Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    It is a bad idea. The movie for WoW demonstrates that very clearly.

@Amottica ...sadly, I like that movie...But I also loved Superman Vs. Batman....
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a LONG history of failed D&D style movies spanning several decades. These types of movies are generally flops unless you can get MASSIVE financial and star power backing (these two things generally go hand in hand).

It would either have to be non live action or epically live action along the lines of the most recent version of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Even those had been done before and failed and are FAR more widely publicly known.

I put yes because I personally would be there in a heartbeat, but I see them doing a lower budget, thin story with B tier actors and it being one of the biggest flops since the live action D&D movie.

25fsg869rg5a.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023) ...there might be hope?
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    NO! This a BAAAD idea! Kind of like Patch 36 The Movie
    I think the biggest issues isn't video game movies as the automatic reason Elder Scrolls The Movie would fail, but because it's an RPG that everyone creates a character, and so people who identify with their characters won't see the main hero in a movie fitting their playstyle.

Edit: I liked patch 36, minus the blocking bug. The poll choice names are kinda biased.
    Edited by Nihilr on December 25, 2022 11:08PM
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a LONG history of failed D&D style movies spanning several decades. These types of movies are generally flops unless you can get MASSIVE financial and star power backing (these two things generally go hand in hand).

It would either have to be non live action or epically live action along the lines of the most recent version of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Even those had been done before and failed and are FAR more widely publicly known.

I put yes because I personally would be there in a heartbeat, but I see them doing a lower budget, thin story with B tier actors and it being one of the biggest flops since the live action D&D movie.

25fsg869rg5a.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023) ...there might be hope?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

@Amottica ...sadly, I like that movie...But I also loved Superman Vs. Batman....

I am sure some enjoyed it. However, it lost money and has a very low rotten tomato and Metacritic score. Plenty of money has been made from making games based on movies but rarely has it been successful to make a movie based on a game.
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! I will buy my ticket NOW!
    I’d prefer a TV series. Each season is based on a different province.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nihilr wrote: »
    I think the biggest issues isn't video game movies as the automatic reason Elder Scrolls The Movie would fail, but because it's an RPG that everyone creates a character, and so people who identify with their characters won't see the main hero in a movie fitting their playstyle.

There's so much lore, the story wouldn't have to focus on an already known story with a player character. Rather think of something like the War Of The First Council and the Battle Of Red Mountain or the aftermath of the Oblivion Crisis.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • kinguardian
    kinguardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

I liked the wow movie but not superman vs batman.
    I thought I never get enough watching henry cavill but nope did not make it through that movie. :)
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could have a great heroic fantasy movie without relying on TES.

Assuming a movie would be trustful to TES, it would have to :
    - explain world creation, the godhead dream, and so on
    - explain divines, aedras and daedras lore
    - explain each race lore, empire history and outer continents lore
    - more specifically explain dark elves lore and Tribunal lore shenanigans
    - acknowledge dwemer disappearance theories

I don't see that fit in a 1.5/2 hours movie, so that means we'd have either a super-long intro probably butchering the lore, or no lore exposition at all, letting people guess what characters are (ie. try to guess who Gandalf is exactly by only watching the movie, then check the lore and see if you got it right...).

Also consider some parts of the timeline are not linear due to dragon breaches, and that a movie scenario couldn't include known characters - except daedras - without setting the movie era at some precise point in the (broken) timeline.

A movie is just not fit for that. Maybe first get an animated series which could take its time to unfold the lore, then...
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd like to play Elder Scrolls: The Movie: The Game
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    I don't see that fit in a 1.5/2 hours movie, so that means we'd have either a super-long intro probably butchering the lore, or no lore exposition at all, letting people guess what characters are (ie. try to guess who Gandalf is exactly by only watching the movie, then check the lore and see if you got it right...).

I don't think a movie has to include every single detail of background lore. You always have that problem when it comes to movies based on books (well, at least if it's a complex work). I think it's totally acceptable to show viewers a part, a story within a world and expect them to inform themselves if they want to know more.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

I don't think a movie has to include every single detail of background lore. You always have that problem when it comes to movies based on books (well, at least if it's a complex work). I think it's totally acceptable to show viewers a part, a story within a world and expect them to inform themselves if they want to know more.

I was thinking the same thing.

Look at Star Wars for example. It's a bit different because the majority of the lore came later, but it comes to the same thing. In A New Hope we're told exactly 3 things about Kessel: there are spice mines (we aren't told what spice is), C3-PO doesn't want to be sent there, and getting there in under 12 parsecs is impressive, and that's all you need to know for the plot of that film. All the other details which came later (including why finding a shorter route through space is impressive) don't matter to the story that's actually being told in that movie so you don't miss anything by not having them included.

The words 'kyber crystal' don't appear in a film until Rogue One. Most fans knew there was some type of crystal inside lightsabers and again a lot of the books, comics etc. went into more detail (although some of the older ones said any crystal could work) but it was never relevant to the plot of the movies so it wasn't included and the stories didn't lose anything as a result.

It's already the same with the Elder Scrolls games. All the stuff about the Tribunal and the good and bad daedra didn't appear in Arena or Daggerfall because it was written for Morrowind, then it's barely mentioned in Oblivion and Skyrim because it's not as important to their plot. Each game has it's own focus and priorities and covers the relevant info with everything else relegated to optional books. A film wouldn't have the books of course, but the info would still be there for fans who want to know.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • kwinter
    kwinter
    ✭✭✭
    As others have stated video games as movies or tv show have generally not been that good. If they do ESO movie or tv show I would make it a stand alone story that takes place in ESO, but story is not directly base on a game so it gives the writers more freedom to write a story and a story that if it’s a movie can better fit in a 2 hour runtime that can be standalone but also leave the possibility of a sequel.
  • Cryptor
    Cryptor
    ✭✭✭
    It's crazy to me that anyone would vote no on this, despite the obvious quality concerns.
    Casually Xbox Guild: Discord Server - Recruiting Thread - Guild Website - My information: Instagram - Twitch Stream - Youtube Channel - Discord Server - Xbox GT: OGCryptor - Mastodon Profile
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cryptor wrote: »
    It's crazy to me that anyone would vote no on this, despite the obvious quality concerns.

Well, I actually don't like movies anyway (or tv), and I certainly wouldn't want ZOS or Bethesda spending a lot of money on a movie when I'd much rather have more games.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would probably be another Norse centric movie. Because you know..skyrim...and

God of War
    Assasins Creed Valhallah
    Games of Thrones
    Valheim
    Thor Ragnarok

and so much more.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Syldras wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing.

Look at Star Wars for example. It's a bit different because the majority of the lore came later, but it comes to the same thing. In A New Hope we're told exactly 3 things about Kessel: there are spice mines (we aren't told what spice is), C3-PO doesn't want to be sent there, and getting there in under 12 parsecs is impressive, and that's all you need to know for the plot of that film. All the other details which came later (including why finding a shorter route through space is impressive) don't matter to the story that's actually being told in that movie so you don't miss anything by not having them included.

The words 'kyber crystal' don't appear in a film until Rogue One. Most fans knew there was some type of crystal inside lightsabers and again a lot of the books, comics etc. went into more detail (although some of the older ones said any crystal could work) but it was never relevant to the plot of the movies so it wasn't included and the stories didn't lose anything as a result.

It's already the same with the Elder Scrolls games. All the stuff about the Tribunal and the good and bad daedra didn't appear in Arena or Daggerfall because it was written for Morrowind, then it's barely mentioned in Oblivion and Skyrim because it's not as important to their plot. Each game has it's own focus and priorities and covers the relevant info with everything else relegated to optional books. A film wouldn't have the books of course, but the info would still be there for fans who want to know.

That's a very good example, indeed. A movie plot should be self-contained.

The first movie, Episode 4, started explaining (very barely, but still) the context of a ruling empire and spare rebels, and setting what the force is and what jedi knight were (kind of). The second trilogy set context of a ruling senate, with a jedi council kind of making police in the known galaxy, and a threatening dark side of the force hidden somewhere.

The third trilogy lacks such context at the beginning of each episode. Check episodes 7, 8 and 9, separately from anything else, and at no point you could tell what the balance of force is between the "new republic" (ex-rebels, said to be growing) and the "new order" (ex-empire, said to be raisen from fallen forces). Is the new order controlling half of the galaxy ? A few planets ? More ? Less ?

As for TES, you're half right, Tribunal stuff was barely mentionned before TES 3, as it was not needed for the plot, and are barely mentionned afterwards for obvious reasons (as they have no chance to impact events after their death - there is some dialogue on the downfall of Vivec City and dark elves having hard times, though), but Daedras already had a lot of exposition in Daggerfall, and even have dedicated quests and items in further games.

When watching a movie, I shouldn't have to read a book, view another TV series or else, there should be a minimum of setting to give you context of why and how things are. As I said, I don't imagine a TES movie not involving TES-specific lore, otherwise that would be a generic heroic-fantasy movie, and you wouldn't need the TES staple on it (there are already a lot of movies with elves and wizards and dragons fighting each other).

So let's say a TES movie would involve 1 daedra threatening Tamriel from one of the planes of Oblivion, and the hero(es) would need the help of another daedra to beat him, that's already a lot to explain on top the the hero(es)'s background. Depending on where and when you set the movie, you probably will have to explain a lot more (ie. Morrowind under Vivec's ruling, Dwemer ruins, Argonians and their relation to the hist, woodelves and their green pact, etc.), and as I said, I don't see that fit in a (good and not too long) movie.
    Edited by MerguezMan on January 4, 2023 12:52PM
  • TooWeak2Live
    TooWeak2Live
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, ZOS has been killing it with the cinematic trailers. It's a shame they bear almost no resemblance to actual game play, but it seems like they might be able to make some longer content. They might even do a better job with that than the actual game...

But only if Velidreth is in it.
    Edited by TooWeak2Live on January 4, 2023 4:14PM
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would LOVE to see a TES Movie or Series!
    BUT, after seeing the recent so called "adaptations", ( Wheel of Time, RoP, Witcher BO, etc), and how the showrunners totally ignored, disrespected and just totally "threw out the window" the IP's canon and source material, I am scared at what kind travesty would be given us.
    Yes, there have been a few good game adaptations in the past, but there are far more that were not so good. Remember "Mario"? Lmao!

TaSheen wrote: »
    Cryptor wrote: »

Well, I actually don't like movies anyway (or tv), and I certainly wouldn't want ZOS or Bethesda spending a lot of money on a movie when I'd much rather have more games.

Actualy, Zenimax/Microsoft would not spend a dime on it. A production company like New Line, Amazon, HBO, etc, would pay them for the IP rights and then they would control the project.
    I mean, ZOS has been killing it with the cinematic trailers. It's a shame they bear almost no resemblance to actual game play, but it seems like they might be able to make some longer content. They might even do a better job with that than the actual game...

But only if Velidreth is in it.

ZOS didn't make the trailers. (Yes, they ARE awesome!). They were made by advertising agency AKQA and production company Blur Studio.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but only if it's based off of "The Lusty Argonian Maid." ;)
  • SalamanNZ
    SalamanNZ
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Warcraft movie. I'm sure they would make a movie I would like
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The movie itself, no. The blooper reels, with actors clipping through the floor, running on top of their horses, going out of sync and having their roles redesigned every third month? Yes, please.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also don't let Netflix make it because they will just end up cancelling it, Zenimax should make it themselves.
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely in the "premium cable or streaming service tv show" camp. I also agree with the point others have made that it would be best served by exploring the lore, not necessarily the main plot of any of the games.