The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Elder Scrolls The Movie

• SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO! This a BAAAD idea! Kind of like Patch 36 The Movie
    It seems pretty clear the ZOS staff is already stretched way too thin as it is.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes! I will buy my ticket NOW!
    Needs more options. Yes I wouldn't mind seeing one, but no I'm not so excited that I'd buy a ticket now or anything.

I think like most video game movies it would be pretty bad, but sometimes seeing characters you love come to life make up for it.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Movies of videogames are almost always bad. Especially the more strange/complex the background & lore are. WoW had a lot more name & pop-culture recognition, and the movie was lousy & did lousy. Just no.

The only good video game movie is Doom.

The first Mortal Kombat. Of course, it was one of those Good Bad movies. It also helped that it was just a simple "martial arts tournament" movie to start with, just with goofy videogame aspects. Not a lot to mess up there.
    (and they then proceeded to mess it up with the second movie. :D )

• SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Movies of videogames are almost always bad. Especially the more strange/complex the background & lore are. WoW had a lot more name & pop-culture recognition, and the movie was lousy & did lousy. Just no.

The only good video game movie is Doom.

The first Mortal Kombat. Of course, it was one of those Good Bad movies. It also helped that it was just a simple "martial arts tournament" movie to start with, just with goofy videogame aspects. Not a lot to mess up there.
    (and they then proceeded to mess it up with the second movie. :D )

i stand corrected.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would choose "No" but there is no option for it that doesn't include other features that have nothing to do with the question.
    PCNA
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, would I go see an ES movie? Sure. That said, I think an elder scrolls title would be really hard to pull off. While there are some decent video game movies out there, most have been a disaster. That odds are certainly against them.

If they were going to do it, I would much rather them focus on a specific title/story like ES 3. I think you could make a pretty good Morrowind, but ES is a massive universe, especially from a timeline perspective. Easy to get lost.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean, would I go see an ES movie? Sure. That said, I think an elder scrolls title would be really hard to pull off. While there are some decent video game movies out there, most have been a disaster. That odds are certainly against them.

If they were going to do it, I would much rather them focus on a specific title/story like ES 3. I think you could make a pretty good Morrowind, but ES is a massive universe, especially from a timeline perspective. Easy to get lost.

I think you could do it if you didn't follow any story that's been told as of yet. That I guess is one reason a TES movie could work. None of the stories were hard line as you just got out of prison somehow and then made you're own story along the way. Tamriel would be the only "required" tie to anything from the games.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say yes, but this could be a horrible idea. It really just depends on what is done with it. There are a lot of amazing stories that they could bring to the big screen... or they just make another Ishtar....
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was going to be a naysayer but then I thought if it went into how Elder Scrolls Online ( or about any other TES game without extensive patches and bug fixing mods) actually plays instead of just sprinkling TES lore on some copy paste formula movie plot. Bring some of the more amusing glitches like running on weapons or on horse. (BTW Not long ago I encountered dead khajit body wagging his tail. Does that happen often?) Have group fighting a massive boss being wiped because Tank failed a block and got squished. Warriors battling each other constantly jumping like kangaroos and running around buildings. Hero being late from the decisive final fight because getting stuck in surprise load screen. With that kind of approach possibilities for an realistic and entertaining game movie are infinite.
    Edited by rpa on December 22, 2022 3:15PM
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If done right a movie based on TES could be amazing, depending on the setting and time they choose.

There's no way it will be done right though. It will be made to cater to younger audiences age 13-30 or so that like action-packed movies based on videogames.

IMO it needs to be a combination of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Lord of the Rings to be done right. Big budget, memorable scenes, epic soundtrack, memorable characters. Or if streaming it has to get the Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon treatment just without the excessive violence and sex.

It can be done it just won't be done.
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could see it more as a series then movie TBH
    Forgot to mention I do have some of the early novels which would be a good movie though.
    Edited by tohopka_eso on December 22, 2022 3:51PM
  • Arthur_Spoonfondle
    Arthur_Spoonfondle
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO, NO, NO and thrice NO! Don't even think about making a film, at the very least, not until TES 6 has been released.
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an old saying that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

The problem with making a movie for Elder Scrolls isn't the content its the lack of competency that would come out of Hollywood.

Me personally, I would rather an Elder Scrolls movie be a wonderful dream left to the fan's imagination than a train wreck coming to a theater near you, like many of the other movies and TV shows produced in recent years that were arguably terrible or otherwise ill-conceived to make a quick buck.
    Edited by Vulkunne on December 22, 2022 4:52PM
    "I know that someday that sun is bound to shine." -Ella Fitzgerald
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched Doom lately and it inspired me to try to finish Doom 3.

I thought Alone in the Dark was awesome but it turns out it was in the bottom 100 films of all time on IMDB so my choice of films isn't mainstream.

I tried to read a Elder Scrolls book once online but couldn't find it later.

Great idea!
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's almost always difficult to pull off a fantasy movie without it looking painfully cheesy. It would be a bad idea and I wouldn't touch it - unless, maybe, it was a lavishly budgeted and produced live action movie involving enormous talent. And I definitely wouldn't touch it if any of the Daedric princes was in it.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    It's almost always difficult to pull off a fantasy movie without it looking painfully cheesy. It would be a bad idea and I wouldn't touch it - unless, maybe, it was a lavishly budgeted and produced live action movie involving enormous talent. And I definitely wouldn't touch it if any of the Daedric princes was in it.

Hey @BretonMage blue sky thinking!

So yes, huge budget and talented artists!

I would love to see the Daedric Princes....

When I look at the trailers for all the updates, I find them amazing, mostly because I know the back story.

The tech is here for animation. Toss in a plot with ChatGPT and Stable Diffusion - I think any story could be good.

Or a series...

• Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as Nicolas Cage gets to play Tiber Septim.

od7y3bo41uke.gif

Hides behind overturned table from the barrage of rotten eggs and tomatoes.
    Edited by Carcamongus on December 23, 2022 11:18PM
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While i would LOVE to see an epic, well-executed TES movie or a limited series, i don't believe for a moment we would get it.

Video games and movies are different mediums, and it's pretty much become a tradition now for video game adaptations to suck. Last adaptation i saw was Assassin's Creed and i had the chloe judging you face through the entire movie(even with Fassbender in it!).

PC|EU
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Za'ji wrote:
    Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Elder Scrolls-the T-shirt, Elder Scrolls-the Coloring Book, Elder Scrolls-the Lunch box, Elder Scrolls-the Breakfast Cereal, Elder Scrolls-the Flame Thrower.
    :p
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love a movie but would much prefer a series as there's too much lore and content to cram into a movie.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Za'ji wrote:
    Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Elder Scrolls-the T-shirt, Elder Scrolls-the Coloring Book, Elder Scrolls-the Lunch box, Elder Scrolls-the Breakfast Cereal, Elder Scrolls-the Flame Thrower.
    :p

When the letter.came and mentioned tentpoles I looked it up and the definition mentioned that tentpoling was all about producing merchandise. No one believed me but I think you might be onto something.
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    Based off the IP? Sure. Based off any one of the video games? No, at least not the main stories of Daggerfall, Morrowind, Skyrim or ESO. Arena and Oblivion however? The main story for those games is an interesting setting for a story to be told. Take Arena for instance. Even though the story was fairly barebones, the lore has been updated about what was going on during that time period. When you play Arena, you can't experience the War of Bend'r-mahk, the Arnesian War, the War of the Blue Divide, but they were happening during that time period. How about a show that depicts those events? Or tells a story with one of those wars as the starting foundation? Or if we take Oblivion for instance, the Oblivion Crisis is taking place across the entire continent of Tamriel. Show us how a non Cyrodiilic city is faring with this crisis. We don't even need one of the games settings to tell an interesting story. How about Tiber Septims conquest of Tamriel? Alessia's slave rebellion? TES is ripe for exploration, if done well that is.
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think series instead of movie...

There are so many facets...and the game has been around since 94.

Skyrim was pretty slick....Skyrim and the story of Dovahkiin?

Microsoft does have money?

Hope?
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    I think series instead of movie...

There are so many facets...and the game has been around since 94.

Skyrim was pretty slick....Skyrim and the story of Dovahkiin?

Microsoft does have money?

Hope?

I just can't get into movies about games I play. But if it happens, I hope it will be wonderful for those who DO get into movies about games.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting...but No. It's a game title, not novel book like the "Lord of the ring".

Todd Howard always said that story and experience of the our game is only
    player's own. We just build world, but we don't want to define player's decision.
    "It's up to you".

So, I don't want to see Elder Scrolls movie forever.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    with [1Stam Blade].
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".

2024/08/23
    Farewell Atsuko Tanaka...(-_-) I never forget epic acting for major Motoko Kusanagi.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't work well with TES imo, there is no obvious story to tell.

Disaster at Ionith would make a for a cool TV show, but what else would you do? The Tiber Wars, perhaps? That's too long as well. What single event could you do in a movie?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    robwolf666 wrote: »
    Given what's happening with other games/books turned into films or TV series just lately... NO!

The Witcher and Sonic are pretty decent from what I have heard. I'm excited for The Last of Us. Arcane has a perfect critic score on Rotten Tomatoes and a near perfect audience score. I think outside video games media is having a decent run rn.

The Witcher is pretty good, but the series is based mostly on the stories, not necessarily the game. The first season follows the second collection of stories reasonably well, although not in the same specific order. There are some changes, but overall they fairly well.

The Elder Scrolls probably has enough history and lore behind it to give it a better chance than most.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is a LONG history of failed D&D style movies spanning several decades. These types of movies are generally flops unless you can get MASSIVE financial and star power backing (these two things generally go hand in hand).

It would either have to be non live action or epically live action along the lines of the most recent version of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Even those had been done before and failed and are FAR more widely publicly known.

I put yes because I personally would be there in a heartbeat, but I see them doing a lower budget, thin story with B tier actors and it being one of the biggest flops since the live action D&D movie.

25fsg869rg5a.jpg
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast lore of TES would make some interesting movie or tv show plots for sure (ESO's main story definitively not being the most interesting aspect, though). I'm just not sure if they'd execute it well enough. I wouldn't mind them giving a try, though.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a bad idea. The movie for WoW demonstrates that very clearly.