The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does the current CP-system motivates you to level?

derkaiserliche
derkaiserliche
✭✭✭✭
I love to level characters and i love the idea of the cp-system in general.

I just feel there is a huge motivation loss to level until you reached around 1200-1500cp, since i dont feel like i am progressing my char anymore.

Whats your opinion on it?

Does the current CP-system motivates you to level? 182 votes

I am motivated to level until 3600cp just for sake of leveling
7%
WuffyCeruleiKhenarthiLumsdenmlrobwolf666bmnobleMunkfistTrevelyan_1998MeioxCarcamongustim77FeedbackOnlyHeartrageMyrethxXCJsniperXx7 14 votes
I am motivated to level until 3600cp, because i can switch my cp-tree without gold cost (Tank/DD/Heal or thieving/farming)
8%
wookiefriseurAelorinBluepitbull13peacenoteRagnarok0130ParasaurolophusFluffyReachWitchmikemaconredlink1979Umbro100Eric_PrinceKaGaOriWySoSiriusMajorDavoodMissHeartseekerxFelisCatus 16 votes
I stopped caring after i reached around 1500cp (max level for passive skills)
62%
Nestormdclanin_ESObelial5221_ESOBlueRavenaipex8_ESORDMyers65b14_ESOtspecherb14_ESOflizomicajcasini222ub17_ESOstarlizard70ub17_ESOChuckyPayneGiraffonLonestryderTannus15SilverBrideRavensnutDMuehlhausenMorimizoGarishBouldercleave 114 votes
I didnt care about my cp-level from the start
20%
BelegnoleThorntonguehaploeb14_ESODanikatEldartarSaint-AngeSorakaAsysfeyiiTandorbaltic1284AstironCGPsaintKidgangster101emilyhyoyeonWhite wabbitKiralyn2000Troodon80correctamundocolossalvoids 38 votes
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't feel levelling is a goal in itself, it's just something you do to get to the real goal of having all the skills and stars that you need. You get those at around 1500 so there's no need to focus on levelling or experience any more.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The level required for all red and blue tree passives and four slottables each is 1626. Reaching that felt more significant to me than 1500, when there are still stars left to take in both of those trees.

Now that I’m past that (currently 2193), while I’m happy to reach a new “free” slottable, I find I’m not driven to grind CP like I used to during xp events.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    The levels in the questions are quite high. Once I got to 1000 I decided I'd done enough. Before 1000 I concentrated on levelling. It was an arbitrary amount that seemed reasonable and was totally unrelated to the CP system. I preferred the old system
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not rewarding to continue levelling, so I don't give a poop.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Started to do content where cp actually mattered when had already enough from just normal play, nowadays I can't care less as with CP 2.0 I've already surpassed it's power cap upon release, it's just kinda annoying seeing an "!" every now and then.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm motivated to level period. Hasn't anything to do with CP. I've got the CP I want to use on all but one character of many. Leveling is fun.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am motivated to level until 3600cp, because i can switch my cp-tree without gold cost (Tank/DD/Heal or thieving/farming)
    I haven't really bothered grinding in a while and I'm currently around 1700. I don't need 3600 though, I just want to go fishing and thieving without reallocating.
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    You forgot about armory being able to shift your CP build at a click, along with skills and sets without a gold cost. My opinion is armory made CP after 1400 or so totally irrelevant.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it motivated me to grind until about 2k, and I wasn't far off when they made all the changes. You really do need more than 1500 for competitive end game, as you could easily use 6 different blue slottables in a given trial run if min/maxing. I could care less about getting to 3600, and currently, I really dont feel any sense of character progression.

That said, I have all but stopped playing outside a few events since update 35 or so. Really hoping they get their act together.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see levelling as a goal in it's own right in games, it's just something to get past to be able to access more of the game. I stopped caring about CP when I got to 160 and could get a 'final' set of gear so I also didn't need to worry about that unless I wanted a different set or whatever.

I suppose I should pick whatever point I've got enough CP to fill all the stars, but I don't normally use CP so that's not relevant to me.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As it was laid out by the devs, the CP revision had two goals:

1. Make it more performant
    2. Allow for more interesting/consequential build decisions

I would say that they likely achieved the first goal (though overall game performance continues to slide...) but failed to achieve the second goal.

Why? Because the CP system suffers from a lack of creativity in its star design and also, as always, because those stars that did manage to do something interesting were immediately nerfed into Oblivion.

We were promised constant additions to the CP selections as well, but that has failed to materialize. Stars were added for a few patches after the revision but that has since completely dried up.
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on console so no add on to automatically swap stars, so its too annoying to change things. Obce I got the passives, there's no point.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am at 1930 something. I have not allocated any CPs since the 1700's
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I cared until 160 for gear cap and then never cared again. Even though having more slottable stars would be convenient, most I care about it is seeing it hit fun numbers.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At level 1900 I feel no sense of progression any more. Yay, one more tick in a 50-point skill I have to slot and probably won't use anyway...
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like seeing the numbers grow, even though I have no use for more CP.

The only grinding I do is keeping the Master Writs for when there's a double XP event, and then I'll pop one of those daily reward 150% scrolls and get the whole lot done.
    PC-EU
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the process of levelling as part of developing my characters, but I have no specific ambition levelling-wise and pretty much never grind in any game. Reaching so called "endgame" is never of any interest to me. If I just play the game then things come along in their own time, and that includes CPs.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    like others noted, i feel very little "progression" cp wise at cp 2250, so much so i dont even bother burning xp scrolls and sometimes dont even bother with event double xp buffs as it just does nothing for me

on my 2nd acct being only like cp 600-700 the double xp event bonuses certainly help a ton
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 3600 is a ridiculously high goal with nothing to gain by reaching it. I assign my points about once a week just so I stop seeing that I have unspent points, but I'm just putting them into whatever I think I may want to slot some day but probably won't.

I do like the current CP system a lot better than the previous and wish they would pare it down and simplify it even more, but when I think of having to redo all of it on all my characters I'd rather just keep it as it is.
    PCNA
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped caring for the most part after I unlocked the Green Tree items I wanted which was at some point in the upper hundreds.

Missing out on the Green perks tends to be far more noticeable to me than the combat perks.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It took me a long time to reach max level, back when it was 500-something, but it'll take even longer now (I'm 2281 or something at the moment of writing). I don't exactly grind levels, except maybe during double XP events, and I stopped assigning champ points a good while ago (I think one of the trees has over 200 unspent points). I guess it's more like a passive motivation, in the sense I don't go out of my way to level, but I still like it when I make progress.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On my main account, I'm in the 2,330+ range now. I have plenty and don't always try to get more since that happens anyway. That said, I will take advantage of double xp events if I have a pile of master writs clogging up my inventory.

My other account is in the 1600+ range on pcna.

On pceu, both accounts are around 1200. I don't try to get the numbers up on those either. Double xp events are iffy for increasing the numbers as my EU accounts do not have enough motif knowledge to do all the master writs that are clogging up the inventory.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭
    First, thank you for this question because I was wondering the same thing.

At around 1500 cp you realize that all the other cp are useless and it's pointless to keep playing.

They could remove the 4 cap bottleneck and make everything slot-able perhaps.
    The storyline with all the quests, the housing and the infinite gold to be made can keep you going.
    Edited by sPark101 on November 29, 2022 8:50PM
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS should have made an entire tree consisting of passives, which they could expand upon when expanding the CP 2.0 system to above 3600. The green tree would be perfect for this. This is assuming they keep the current system.

Right now, there is no reason to care about CP leveling at all. Once you have all the passives and four active skills in all trees, you're done. Which is about 1800-2000 CP tops. This current CP system also makes exp scrolls useless, I have never used one, and am above 2.5k CP already. This current CP system also greatly depreciates the time spend in game, and makes it so there isn't really a reason to log in and be active. Which is against everything an MMO should be.

Personally I feel the CP system should not have a limit, and should consist entirely of many small endless non-combat gameplay bonusses. Bonusses of 0.01% for something, which even with 1000's of points doesn't matter much. Examples: +0.01% exp from quests, +0.01% gold from quests, +0.01% chance to find a random set item from the zone you are in, -0.01% repair costs, +0.01% gold from chests, etc, etc. Bonusses that are small, but add up once you invest thousands of points in them. And thousands of points is quite a long playtime!

The current CP system is nowhere near good enough or enticing enough, in my opinion. (Sorry ZOS)
    Edited by Sarannah on November 29, 2022 9:00PM
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, not really. Im either right at or slightly over 2100. It really hasnt made much difference in a while. When I look at what I wouldn't mind having in the green tree, for example, its 75 for next perk. Since its every 3 levels and its an all or none perk, itll take me 225 levels before I see any benefit from leveling.

At my current rate of leveling it would be somewhere around 2030 before I get the next green perk and 2060 before I maxed.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sPark101 wrote: »
    First, thank you for this question because I was wondering the same thing.

At around 1500 cp you realize that all the other cp are useless and it's pointless to keep playing.

They could remove the 4 cap bottleneck and make everything slot-able perhaps.
    The storyline with all the quests, the housing and the infinite gold to be made can keep you going.
    I hope not. If every perk was slottable, character diversity among those at high CP would probably be reduced.
    Edited by vsrs_au on November 29, 2022 9:34PM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I stopped caring when I finally got full CP (810 or whatever it was) in old system and it was immediately nerfed overhauled. Also green tree when my main crafter happened to be stealth NB did not encourage caring.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not going to kill myself to get there but still want to make some progress each day, so am doing one 150% XP potion a day of solo grinding normal black rose prison. I will probably put in more effort during double XP events though.

Hasn't changed the amount of time I spend in game each day since I am using the hour or so I would have been doing daily writs to do that hour of grinding still have a decent amount of gold in bank for the things I need and plenty of gold mats hoarded in case I want to upgrade or make any sets.

Don't really need any more CP for me it's just a case of less levels ahead of me then already done, may as well see it through at some point, even if it takes another 6 months or a year no rush.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped assigning CP at some point. Because you can only slot 4, once you've chosen your 4 and have all the passives you want, there's no need to ever look at that screen again. For me, anyway.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I stopped assigning CP at some point. Because you can only slot 4, once you've chosen your 4 and have all the passives you want, there's no need to ever look at that screen again. For me, anyway.

Agreed. The only time I switch is when I go fishing.