Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why would you use Occult Overload after U36?

• Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are 2 main issues with skills/procs/cps like this.
    1. is the lack of pvp/pve separation, which would be very easy to fix by using battle spirit properly
    2. every proc like this works better when used by large groups instead of trying to fight against them, take dark convergence for example, that set was supposed to make large zergs spread out more to help reduce lag, and create more action around the map, it ended up having the complete opposite effect where ball groups worked out how to abuse it and used this to wipe everyone off the map and in the process made it even laggier with everyone now having to faction stack to attempt to counter the ball groups.

The first issue can be fixed easily, make it so that these procs deal reduced damage (or lower cap) when battle spirit is active. The second issue however cannot be fixed as easily. You could make it so that it works like rallying cry (does less when more in group), but then organised groups will just not group in the game and sit on comms and continue to play as if they were in a group to get the full power.

Right now, there is just not enough options that can counter organised groups without being abusable by those same groups in some way.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    That's why I think Oblivion damage should scale off resistances instead of HP since in PvE there is a hard cap on resistances but in PvP tanks will generally stack it much higher.

they do have something kind of like that in the game, hrothgars chill set lol

scales off resistances, and even though it says its frost dmg, it also explicitly says it ignores resistances, so in effect it is oblivion dmg (the only difference is that hrothgars might be able to be shielded, it just says it ignored resistances but since its not true oblivion dmg shields probably still protect you)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd assume Hrothgar's Chill proc can crit since it's frost damage though. Kind of begs the question as to why they didn't make it oblivion damage if they intended it to bypass resistance.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    I'd assume Hrothgar's Chill proc can crit since it's frost damage though. Kind of begs the question as to why they didn't make it oblivion damage if they intended it to bypass resistance.

i think more people might actually use it if it was true oblivion dmg honestly lol, at least in pvp

i dont know about crit though, a lot of those "scaling" things dont crit (plaguebreak explosion, dark convergence, oblivion dmg)

ive also never used it to actually test that either lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Crismac
    Crismac
    ✭✭✭
    I replaced it 3 days ago since it will be nerfed into oblivion next week.
    Edited by Crismac on October 24, 2022 5:12PM
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the ability would have been fine if the damage type had been changed from Oblivion to Fire or Poison.