The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

When I click Play on the launcher, the game goes full-screen & I can hear it but it's black-screen

• Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nurrasana wrote: »
    So I did get ahold of customer support this morning about 5 minutes after I made another ticket -sigh- So they can respond to new ones in 5 minutes and not someone waiting hours and hours? Anyway, they said that they couldn't help, my issue would be forwarded over to a specialized team and I would be contacted as soon as possible.
    That was at noon, so it's been about 5 hours, still waiting :persevere:
    I do keep my fingers firmly crossed for you @Nurrasana for good news.

Looking more at the graphics card and model age I am fairly certain myself it is the problem and there may not be a way around it. But I hope to be proved wrong :)
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    I got sick of trying to get ahold of someone and not being able to play, so I got this. :) It should work fine, right?xf4hnuwc3u8g.jpg
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got sick of trying to get ahold of someone and not being able to play, so I got this. :) It should work fine, right?
    No idea, it's a PC :) Hope you have fun in the game.

• freestyleftwb14_ESO
    I was having this same problem on my Mac running Mavericks. I followed all of the suggestions posted in this thread as well as others thread with no luck. However, Moonraker was very close to fixing the problem for me.

When I looked for my UserSettings.txt file, it wasn't there. I copied his User file from another thread, pasted it into Word, and saved it as plain text. Then, I put the new User file in the Live directory. Still, black screen after hitting "Play".

Then I noticed that for some reason, my Mac was saving the file as UserSettings instead of UserSettings.txt. I renamed the file and added the .txt and TESO started right up with no problem.

Hopefully this is all someone else need to go to get this working correctly. I know how incredibly frustrating this has been for all of us.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was having this same problem on my Mac running Mavericks. I followed all of the suggestions posted in this thread as well as others thread with no luck. However, Moonraker was very close to fixing the problem for me.

When I looked for my UserSettings.txt file, it wasn't there. I copied his User file from another thread, pasted it into Word, and saved it as plain text. Then, I put the new User file in the Live directory. Still, black screen after hitting "Play".

Then I noticed that for some reason, my Mac was saving the file as UserSettings instead of UserSettings.txt. I renamed the file and added the .txt and TESO started right up with no problem.

Hopefully this is all someone else need to go to get this working correctly. I know how incredibly frustrating this has been for all of us.
    Very glad it worked for you. The file is actually still a plain text .txt file but OS X by default hides file extensions, so when Save in TextEdit it will not show the .txt file extension but it is one which you can see via Get Info...

To save it and show the extension in TextEdit on the Save window deselect Hide Extension in the bottom right corner if you have the Finder window extended. If not then it says 'if no extension is provided, use .txt by default. I'm guessing maybe it's different in Word.

Anyhow I updated the post to emphasise the need to include the .txt file extension when naming the file. it must be plain text (Unicode) format also.

Thanks for the update.
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    When I tried I made sure the extension was there, but it's fine now on my new computer :)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I tried I made sure the extension was there, but it's fine now on my new computer :)
    Can you do me a favour if you still have the install on your Mac and willing to test.

Go to the settings folder live (liveeu if EU) and remove the file ShaderCache.cooked
    ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/

Then try again.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 3, 2014 11:06AM
  • freestyleftwb14_ESO
    Yea, it was really weird. I have my Mac showing all extensions, but for some reason that file just didn't save with the .txt extension from Word. I used Word because when I was in TextEdit, I didn't see an option to save as a plain text.

At any rate, it's working and now I can play at work during lunch break! Thanks for all your dedication in helping people out here.
  • tylerkadell
    tylerkadell
    Soul Shriven
    Does anyone know why I'm not even able to run the launcher and begin installation?!
    Pretty sure I don't even have the user settings or any of that, because it hasn't downloaded.
    I get a certificate authentication failure immediately after trying to run the launcher. I've been trying to get help on this since yesterday, and I've got nothing back from them. Becoming rather frustrated.

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
  • Bloodmonarch
    Bloodmonarch
    ✭✭
    Graphics ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB

I don't know what the minimum spec is for ESO but I suspect this is your problem...256mb is just insanely low.

Either that, or it is not capable of displaying some of the graphics features in modern DirectX games

Edited by Bloodmonarch on April 3, 2014 2:46PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Graphics ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB

I don't know what the minimum spec is for ESO but I suspect this is your problem...256mb is just insanely low.

Either that, or it is not capable of displaying some of the graphics features in modern DirectX games
    It is low, athough one of the graphics cards they refer to in the Minimum Requirements for Mac are 256MB. It's going to be Lowest or Low as a maximum.
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    @Moonraker‌ I've already tried that numerous times, but I'll try using Word instead of TextEdit when I get home :)
    Edited by Nurrasana on April 3, 2014 4:17PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌ I've already tried that numerous times, but I'll try using Word instead of TextEdit when I get home :)
    If you tried it already then don't worry. I just wanted to mention it.
  • tylerkadell
    tylerkadell
    Soul Shriven
    Customer support can't even help me. It's driving me insane.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Customer support can't even help me. It's driving me insane.
    Can you give more detail of the issue you have? Is it the same as the thread title? If so can you provide your System details as a start especially OS X version and graphics card, Model etc.

Apple icon (top left of menu bar) > About This Mac > More info…

• tylerkadell
    tylerkadell
    Soul Shriven
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08
    SMC Version (system): 2.2f44
    Serial Number (system): C1MJ8FUPDTY3
    Hardware UUID: 3BAE68ED-315E-5249-86B3-B8B222F2F8ED
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

I have just tried everything I can. I click download client, and it does. I run the program it gives me, and that installs a launcher of sorts. But when I try to run the launcher and install the rest of the game, it says "Certificate Authentication Failed, please reinstall".
    Which I have tried and hasn't done anything. Emailed back and forth with customer support before they dropped me saying it's for a more advanced team, who won't get a hold of me. It's just all bogus. I don't see what would be keeping it from running.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sudden Motion Sensor:

I have just tried everything I can. I click download client, and it does. I run the program it gives me, and that installs a launcher of sorts. But when I try to run the launcher and install the rest of the game, it says "Certificate Authentication Failed, please reinstall".
    Which I have tried and hasn't done anything. Emailed back and forth with customer support before they dropped me saying it's for a more advanced team, who won't get a hold of me. It's just all bogus. I don't see what would be keeping it from running.

I have looked quite a lot at this and asked but there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why it would be giving this error message.

The only references to that error Certificate Authentication Failed is related to either Linux, Crossfire, Wine when people are trying to install ESO via these. And I have no idea why that would show on the Mac.

See these Google search results to that show this.

It appears to be something to do with the code signing / Thawte certificate (one specified Thawte Code Signing CA - G2 certificate)

What I don't understand is why, if you use the Launcher I posted yesterday on this section, that it would not work as it works for me and has for others and the certificate is in the Launcher? can you confirm you tried with that Launcher and instructions?

In the Launcher I find reference to Thawte, Inc.Thawte Code Signing CA - G20 which is in the:
    /Applications/ZeniMax Online/Launcher.app/Bethesda.net_Launcher_Mac.version

Can you confirm if you have that file in the Launcher via Right click Launcher and select Show Package Contents to navigate to that file?

Anyhow a few longshots to just see if there is not another reason.

Can you confirm if you also boot into Linux partition or for some reason have tried the ESO client (Mac or PC, now or previously) via Crossfire, Wine or any other similar method? Are you trying to install it on a Hackintosh? Just to discount those potential causes.

There is one German (Google English Translation link) thread on these error on these forums which was on Windows and related to a certificate that was locked. I don't think it is something that will help us on the Mac other than it was certificate related.

There was one issue with that error on Windows for SWTOR and it turned out the be unsynced time/date. A computer reboot fixed it. Just check the time/ date are correct on you Mac. I does happen that it is not synced correctly for a few reasons. If you dual boot OS X, Linux, Windows via Bootcamp etc. it can get unsynced. Check this article if you do this.

• KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    There is one German (Google English Translation link) thread on these error on these forums which was on Windows and related to a certificate that was locked. I don't think it is something that will help us on the Mac other than it was certificate related.

Further down in the thread you mentioned above, @Moonraker‌, the OP reported that their Windows installation had blocked access to the certificate, and they had to manually set it to be trusted again.

So I started looking for a Thawte code signing certificate in a freshly installed OS X 10.9.2 VM, and found... none. There are some Thawte certificates build in by default (see attached screen shot), yet none seemed to match those mentioned above. And yet, both installer and launcher apps ran without a hitch. To add insult to injury, the installer app even installed the launcher, despite the virtual HDD having only 40 GB in size (not free, but total space).

So @tylerkadell, if you would please check the following:
    • in Finder, Navigate to /Applications/Utilities
    • open Keychain Access
    • enter "Thawte" in the search field
    • check whether any of the certificates shown are untrusted by selecting them one by one
    • should you encounter any one that is untrusted, open it by double-clicking on it
    • expand the "Trust" section by clicking on the triangle
    • select "Always Trust" in the dropdown menu
    • close the window. You will be asked for your administrative password to allow changes to the system keychain

Please let us know if you find anything unusual.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on April 7, 2014 5:15PM
  • tylerkadell
    tylerkadell
    Soul Shriven
    @Moonraker‌

I went through each "thawte" certificate one by one, and turned them all to 'always trust'.
    This is the first sign of any progress I've had for about a week.
    The launcher actually opened for the first time and I think is beginning to install. It's sitting at 0% "creating download", so I'm just going to leave it up while I go to work and hopefully there will be progress by the time I get home from work. Thanks to all that have helped.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌

I went through each "thawte" certificate one by one, and turned them all to 'always trust'.
    This is the first sign of any progress I've had for about a week.
    The launcher actually opened for the first time and I think is beginning to install. It's sitting at 0% "creating download", so I'm just going to leave it up while I go to work and hopefully there will be progress by the time I get home from work. Thanks to all that have helped.
    Good news @tylerkadell. It great that @KhajitFurTrader posted the information on the certificate following ion from my post. I actually had a big post quite similar but it was late and I didn't want to post misleading things. But I have the similar thought.

If you can confirm which one seemed to work when changed to trusted that would be great to know.

Fingers crossed on it.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 7, 2014 9:33PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sudden Motion Sensor:

I have looked quite a lot at this and asked but there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why it would be giving this error message.

The only references to that error Certificate Authentication Failed is related to either Linux, Crossfire, Wine when people are trying to install ESO via these. And I have no idea why that would show on the Mac.

See these Google search results to that show this.

It appears to be something to do with the code signing / Thawte certificate (one specified Thawte Code Signing CA - G2 certificate)

What I don't understand is why, if you use the Launcher I posted yesterday on this section, that it would not work as it works for me and has for others and the certificate is in the Launcher? can you confirm you tried with that Launcher and instructions?

In the Launcher I find reference to Thawte, Inc.Thawte Code Signing CA - G20 but others also and hard to be certain, which is in the:
    /Applications/ZeniMax Online/Launcher.app/Bethesda.net_Launcher_Mac.version

Can you confirm if you have that file in the Launcher via Right click Launcher and select Show Package Contents to navigate to that file?

Anyhow a few longshots to just see if there is not another reason.

Can you confirm if you also boot into Linux partition or for some reason have tried the ESO client (Mac or PC, now or previously) via Crossfire, Wine or any other similar method? Are you trying to install it on a Hackintosh? Just to discount those potential causes.

There was one issue with that error on Windows for SWTOR and it turned out the be unsynced time/date. A computer reboot fixed it. Just check the time/ date are correct on you Mac. I does happen that it is not synced correctly for a few reasons. If you dual boot OS X, Linux, Windows via Bootcamp etc. it can get unsynced. Check this article if you do this.

• Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

Further down in the thread you mentioned above, @Moonraker‌, the OP reported that their Windows installation had blocked access to the certificate, and they had to manually set it to be trusted again.

So I started looking for a Thawte code signing certificate in a freshly installed OS X 10.9.2 VM, and found... none. There are some Thawte certificates build in by default (see attached screen shot), yet none seemed to match those mentioned above. And yet, both installer and launcher apps ran without a hitch. To add insult to injury, the installer app even installed the launcher, despite the virtual HDD having only 40 GB in size (not free, but total space).

So @tylerkadell, if you would please check the following:
    • in Finder, Navigate to /Applications/Utilities
    • open Keychain Access
    • enter "Thawte" in the search field
    • check whether any of the certificates shown are untrusted by selecting them one by one
    • should you encounter any one that is untrusted, open it by double-clicking on it
    • expand the "Trust" section by clicking on the triangle
    • select "Always Trust" in the dropdown menu
    • close the window. You will be asked for your administrative password to allow changes to the system keychain

Please let us know if you find anything unusual.
    More great detective work. No idea why it installed to only 40GB hard space. Usually it;s fussy about that.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can you do me a favour if you still have the install on your Mac and willing to test.

Go to the settings folder live (liveeu if EU) and remove the file ShaderCache.cooked
    ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/

Then try again.

3 years later, this fixed it for me!