The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

When I click Play on the launcher, the game goes full-screen & I can hear it but it's black-screen

Nurrasana
Nurrasana
This is so frustrating. I know the ESO customer support is probably overwhelmed, but I've been waiting since 5 this morning. I can't imagine everyone having to deal with this.
Anyway, that's my problem. When I click Play from the launcher, it looks like the game is starting and I can hear it, but it just goes black screen. I have to force my laptop to shut down to be able to do anything again. Something like that happens when I try to run the Game Consultant too. It just freezes and stops responding.
So, obviously it could be my computer because it is fairly old:
MacBook Pro
15-inch Core 2 Duo
Processor 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Thanks in advance :)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK first thing try launching the game directly assuming it is already updated to launch version? You can find it here:
    /Applications/ZeniMax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online EU/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso.app

Just double click and see if it launches that way.

If it is still black screen it maybe that the game does not recognise the graphics card correctly and not setting a supported resolution. Go to the UserSettings.txt file here;
    ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/UserSettings.txt

First Duplicate the file and name it something like UserSettings-Backup.txt

Then open the original one and it should launch TextEdit. Use Command+F to find these settings:

SET WindowedHeight "1096"

SET WindowedWidth "1904"

Change the values for these two settings to:

SET WindowedHeight "1920"

SET WindowedWidth "1080"

Or the native resolution of your Mac. I suspect that as it's only 256MB it will struggle with higher resolutions and graphics settings. So maybe another lower resolution supported to start.

Save the file and name it UserSettings.txt (important to add the .txt and that it is saved as Plain Text). Close Textedit then try again.

Edited by Moonraker on April 2, 2014 10:34PM
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Well on WoW I always had it on the lowest graphics, but it of course worked still. I'll try and post back here, thank you!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nurrasana wrote: »
    Well on WoW I always had it on the lowest graphics, but it of course worked still. I'll try and post back here, thank you!
    No probme. I is perhaps just the minimum and the game is designed for low end computers. But especially in a launch with lots of people will make it work hard!
    Hope it goes OK.
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Okay, so the first one launched it but didn't fix the black screen. So I went to Documents, Elder Scrolls Online, live, then my options were AddOns, Errors, Logs, and Screenshots. No UserSettings?
    Edited by Nurrasana on March 31, 2014 1:57AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so the first one launched it but didn't fix the black screen. So I went to Documents, Elder Scrolls Online, live, then my options were AddOna, Errors, Logs, and Screenshots. No UserSettings?
    Then its the problem it hasn't created one correctly.

I have copied a UserSettings.txt file contents. You need to copy/paste carefully into a new Plain Text file in TextEdit. Save as UserSettings.txt then place it in;
    SET MouseRawInput "1"
    SET MouseSensitivityFirstPerson "0.50000000"
    SET MouseSensitivityThirdPerson "1.28999996"
    SET MouseSmoothing "0"
    SET InvertMouseWheel "1"
    SET InvertMouseY "1"
    SET InvertMouseX "1"
    SET CachedRLREnabled "1"
    SET CachedReflectionResolution "4"
    SET CachedShadowFiltering "5"
    SET ScreenshotFormat "BMP"
    SET PregameGammaCheckEnabled "0"
    SET HardwareCheckEnabled.2 "0"
    SET SUB_SAMPLING "2"
    SET REFLECTION_QUALITY_v3 "2"
    SET PARTICLE_DENSITY "3"
    SET HIGH_RESOLUTION_SHADOWS "1"
    SET SHADOWS "4"
    SET GAMMA_ADJUSTMENT "112"
    SET VIEW_DISTANCE "1.69000006"
    SET GPUSmoothingFrames "10"
    SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "0"
    SET RAIN_WETNESS "1"
    SET LENS_FLARE "1"
    SET GOD_RAYS_v2 "1"
    SET ANTI_ALIASING_v2 "1"
    SET AMBIENT_OCCLUSION "1"
    SET COLOR_GRADING_v1 "0"
    SET BLOOM "1"
    SET DEPTH_OF_FIELD "1"
    SET COLOR_CORRECTION "1"
    SET SOFT_ALPHA "1"
    SET DISTORTION "1"
    SET CHARACTER_LIGHTING "1"
    SET DIFFUSE_2_MAPS "1"
    SET DETAIL_MAPS "1"
    SET NORMAL_MAPS "1"
    SET SPECULAR_MAPS "1"
    SET CLUTTER_2D "1"
    SET SIMPLE_SHADERS "0"
    SET WATER_FOAM "1"
    SET VSYNC "0"
    SET MAX_ANISOTROPY "3"
    SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "2"
    SET PreferMaximizedWindow "0"
    SET FullscreenHeight "0"
    SET FullscreenWidth "0"
    SET WindowedHeight "1920"
    SET WindowedWidth "1080"
    SET SOUND_ENABLED "1"
    SET FOOTSTEPS_VOLUME "50.00000000"
    SET FOOTSTEPS_ENABLED "1"
    SET SPEAKER_SETUP "0"
    SET BACKGROUND_AUDIO "0"
    SET VO_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET VO_ENABLED "1"
    SET UI_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET UI_ENABLED "1"
    SET AMBIENT_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET AMBIENT_ENABLED "1"
    SET SFX_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET SFX_ENABLED "1"
    SET MUSIC_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET MUSIC_ENABLED "1"
    SET AUDIO_VOLUME "59.00000000"
    SET AUDIO_ENABLED "1"
    SET TooltipFilter "2"
    SET TooltipNumOptions "2"
    SET EffectsLookupViaBinarySearch "1"
    SET Language.2 "en"
    SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"
    SET PatchDataPath "game:/GameData/"
    SET CacheDataPath "machine:/Cache/"
    SET GameCameraFirstPerson "0"
    SET AcceptedEULAVersion "2"
    SET DirectionalDamageIndictorVisibleInThirdPerson "0"
    SET CameraFramingTransitionEnabled "1"
    SET SkipPregameVideos "0"
    SET HasPlayedPregameVideo "1"
    SET RangedKillCamera "0"
    SET PlayerKillCamera "1"
    SET LastMonsterKillCamera "1"
    SET MinFrameTime.2 "0.01000000"
    SET ParticlesEnabled "1"
    SET RequestedNumThreads "0"
    SET FreeUnusedGrannyFileSections.2 "0"
    SET IsTrustedMachine "1"
    SET RememberAccountName "1"
    SET AccountName ""
    SET LastRealm ""
    SET CustomUIScale "1.00000000"
    SET UseCustomUIScale.2 "0"
    SET RollDodgeDoubleTapEnabled "1"
    SET RollDodgeDoubleTapTimeWindow.2 "185"
    SET CameraZoomDistancesSynced "1"
    SET SiegeCameraZoomDistance "6.00000000"
    SET WeaponsOutCameraZoomDistance "2.00000000"
    SET WeaponsSheathedCameraZoomDistance "2.00000000"
    SET MaxNetworkWriteBuffer "10485760"
    SET MaxNetworkReadBuffer "10485760"

~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/

with the other things. I set the resolution to 1920 x 1080. Just make sure you have that resolution supported. Or change it as above to one that is.

If it works then you need to set the Settings > Graphics Video to Low I suggest and also make sure you have a working resolution selected at the top. I did take name and server out but think that's OK.

Hopefully this will at least get it working.
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    At least now it's only crashing instead of forcing me to restart my laptop every time I try! I'm not sure what that means though >.< I don't know if this will help, but here's the crash report details (I'm not sure how to exactly make it a spoiler so if it doesn't work, that's why).
    [reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.1.0.0.956792
    client.executablebits = 32
    client.mode = startup
    client.renderertype = OPENGL
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2014-03-30T21:10:57.125Z
    client.time_since_load = 0
    client.uptime = 3.6
    computer.name = MacBook-2.local
    computer.user = user
    cpu.count = 2
    data.depotid = 4000
    data.dir = /Applications/ZeniMax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game_mac/
    data.syncm = databuild
    data.version = 0.win.0.live.956792
    exe.buildnum = 956792
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    gfx.description = ATI Radeon X1600 OpenGL Engine
    gfx.deviceid = 0.0.0
    gfx.driver = 2.1 ATI-7.4.1
    gfx.vendorid = 0
    mem.current = 232
    mem.peak = 232
    mem.physical = 3072
    os.platform = mac
    os.version = 11G63
    reportfield.ver = 3
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least now it's only crashing instead of forcing me to restart my laptop every time I try! I'm not sure what that means though >.< I don't know if this will help, but here's the crash report details (I'm not sure how to exactly make it a spoiler so if it doesn't work, that's why).
    Spolier is fine though it doesn't tell much.

You should not need to restart computer. These will nearly always work, especially the second.
    Force Quit

Press Command-Option-Esc to Force Quit an application. it that does not work then try this which usually works even in Fulscreen mode.

If you cannot switch from the unresponsive app, press Command-Option-Shift-Esc for three seconds to force it to quit. This key combination tells OS X to force quit the frontmost app.

source: Apple Support kb
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3411

I suggest now you make a ticket to Support. Mention you did not have a UserSettings.txt file. They should be able to send you a default version as some of the setting in the copy could be making it not work also.

• Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Been waiting for a call back from them for almost 12 hours, but thank you, I really appreciate it :)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been waiting for a call back from them for almost 12 hours, but thank you, I really appreciate it :)
    I would make a separate Ticket in writing also. Think it may be faster response especially if they can provide the default settings file.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try the UserSettings.txt text which was posted by a ZOS staffer on this thread. Maybe it is a better one. Similar issue.

Do you have Admin permissions on your Mac?

Edited by Moonraker on March 30, 2014 10:56PM
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    I'll try and let you know :)
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Same thing. What do you mean by Admin permissions? It asks for my password for things sometimes, if that's what you mean.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing. What do you mean by Admin permissions? It asks for my password for things sometimes, if that's what you mean.
    Yes. It will show it under your User name in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Current User (left side)

• Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Okay, the current user is me and I am Admin. So what now?
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    I uninstalled the game and sat through the few hours of redownloading, but when I checked still a black screen with sound on startup.
    It's been almost a whole day, I'm still awaiting a reply from ESO customer support.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I uninstalled the game and sat through the few hours of redownloading, but when I checked still a black screen with sound on startup.
    It's been almost a whole day, I'm still awaiting a reply from ESO customer support.
    I can sympathise with the frustration.

In the meantime, although perhaps not directly related, there is a thread in the CS section relating to Launcher start problems and ZOS are asking for more details. I have set out the Mac specific bits here. If you have the time it would help to post the details to that thread.
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Alright, I'll try that then. I'm pretty tired though, might just wait till tomorrow and see if anyone's e-mailed or called me back:)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright, I'll try that then. I'm pretty tired though, might just wait till tomorrow and see if anyone's e-mailed or called me back:)
    Good idea ;) me too. 100+ posts in 20 hours and my fingers are numb ;)
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Yeah, I've seen your posts on just about every discussion. And I just got my "10 Comments Badge" Woo! ^-^
    I'm glad you're here helping though~ you wouldn't see me sitting here if I could be playing Elder Scrolls Online!
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Posted it there~ not so sure if I did everything correctly, but it's done :smile:
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Posted it there~ not so sure if I did everything correctly, but it's done :smile:
    +1 Awesome for you :)

• Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    Made my night :)
  • arondight
    arondight
    ✭✭
    I have almost the same issue:

Completely black screen, mouse cursor doesn't change to ESO cursor but remains at OSX default. I don't have sound, though.

It was suggested by support that my rig is at fault, a 12-core Mac Pro with 8 gig RAM and a GTX680 with 2GB VRAM (swapping in the original 5870 / 1GB doesn't help).

It seems that the Mac client can't handle lots of cores. Maybe I should un-solder one of the Xeons?
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    My cursor has changed every time I've tried, and of course there's sound.
    Edited by Nurrasana on March 31, 2014 2:00PM
  • Dimillian
    Dimillian
    ✭✭✭
    You still both have the issue ? @Moonraker‌ I have other reports over Reddit with a Mac pro with a D700 FirePro + black screen :/
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    @Dimillian‌ yes I do. I'm waiting for a reply from customer support still.
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    So I did get ahold of customer support this morning about 5 minutes after I made another ticket -sigh- So they can respond to new ones in 5 minutes and not someone waiting hours and hours? Anyway, they said that they couldn't help, my issue would be forwarded over to a specialized team and I would be contacted as soon as possible.
    That was at noon, so it's been about 5 hours, still waiting :persevere:
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    arondight wrote: »

Completely black screen, mouse cursor doesn't change to ESO cursor but remains at OSX default. I don't have sound, though.

It was suggested by support that my rig is at fault, a 12-core Mac Pro with 8 gig RAM and a GTX680 with 2GB VRAM (swapping in the original 5870 / 1GB doesn't help).

It seems that the Mac client can't handle lots of cores. Maybe I should un-solder one of the Xeons?
    NO, ESO doesn't support twin CPU computers (it does support multi-core on one CPU like duo-core etc) on Mac or PC.

It is mentioned in the Mac FAQ posted as a Sticky in this forum section (the FAQ is copy/paste from the beta forum and not very relevant now but some things are still)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dimillian wrote: »
    You still both have the issue ? @Moonraker‌ I have other reports over Reddit with a Mac pro with a D700 FirePro + black screen :/
    The issue that the OP has is not related.

ESO doesn't support twin CPU computers (it does support multi-core on one CPU like duo-core etc) on Mac or PC. It is mentioned in the Mac FAQ

Even the new shiny Mac Pro is not sadly. No idea if they intend to add support at some point.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    arondight wrote: »

There was another post about the possibility. I have no knowledge of this but maybe it's worth investigating further:

DUAL SOCKET MOTHERBOARDS