The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PTS Update 35 - Feedback Thread for Earthen Root Enclave

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for Earthen Root Enclave. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Did you enjoy this new dungeon?
  • How did the difficulty compare to existing dungeons on Normal and Veteran versions?
  • Did you complete Normal or Veteran (or both)?
  • Which was your favorite boss in this dungeon, and why?
  • What level and build was the character you used?
  • Did you happen to notice or find anything interesting? Just curious…
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on July 11, 2022 6:09PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    General feedback: The new motif from the Earthen Root Enclave dungeon, Y’ffres Will (used by the Deeproot Zeal, Rage of Ursauk, and Stone's Accord sets), should be used for all Druids that already exist in the previously but recently released content, High Isle.

Currently, Druids use a mix of Black Fin Legion, Reachmen, Ashlander, and Glenmoril Wyrd style as this new style did not exist yet. Druids are their own Breton sub-culture and should be using their new motif.

P.S. please also use unique color schemes for the different circles for their motifs, to help differentiate them.

Edit:

To assist the devs, the Stonelore Circle druids can be found here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Stonelore_Circle
    Most of what are Eldertide Circle Druids can be found listed here: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/Online:Eldertide_Circle&limit=500

gnr1mk18b805.png
    Edited by Aliyavana on July 11, 2022 7:29PM
    Options
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    General feedback: The new motif from this dungeon, Y’ffres Will, should be used for all Druids that already exist in the previous content, High Isle.

Currently, Druids use a mix of Black Fin Legion, Reachmen, Ashlander, and Glenmoril Wyrd style as this new style did not exist yet. Druids are their own Breton sub-culture and should be using their new motif.

P.S. please also use unique color schemes for the different circles for their motifs, to help differentiate them.

I agree with this.

Also, because there seems to be a heavy focus on Druidic shenanigans in store for Legacy of the Bretons, I would like to respectfully ask that your writers reconsider the current representation of mainstream Bretons we have gotten, and request that they consider giving them more unique lore for the Q4 DLC of this year. A lot of feedback regarding the state of Breton lore and their future reputation has been left on the lore forums here.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
    Options
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the player locations for each of the dungeons are in the wrong place.

Earth grove entrance is under Castle Navire - but the actual island location is shown as being southeast of Amenos Station's port.

Graven Deep entrance is in Amenos port, but the actual island location is shown as being southwest of Castle Navire.

Earth grove is currently quite far away from Stonelore Grove geographically, and Graven Deep is described as being in the Abecean Ocean, but where it is now is quite deep into the Eltheric Ocean.

I think the player locations on the map for the two locations should be swapped.

edit: here is an image demonstrating the problem:

unknown.jpg
    Edited by Thal_J on July 11, 2022 10:44PM
    Options
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    General feedback: The new motif from this dungeon, Y’ffres Will, should be used for all Druids that already exist in the previous content, High Isle.

I agree with this.

Also, because there seems to be a heavy focus on Druidic shenanigans in store for Legacy of the Bretons, I would like to respectfully ask that your writers reconsider the current representation of mainstream Bretons we have gotten, and request that they consider giving them more unique lore for the Q4 DLC of this year. A lot of feedback regarding the state of Breton lore and their future reputation has been left on the lore forums here.

I think ZOS is already probably working on 2023 content and is just polishing up this years content at this point. its probably too late to have changes on a large scale, though i do hope some things are addressed via lorebooks. Druids are neat, i just hope that zos integrates them with mainland breton culture in q4 to make them relevant to bretons as a whole and not have it just limited to a historical perspective. But seeing as they are a huge part of Breton's ancient roots, ya their motif should be respected.
    Options
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with this.

I think ZOS is already probably working on 2023 content and is just polishing up this years content at this point. its probably too late to have changes on a large scale, though i do hope some things are addressed via lorebooks. Druids are neat, i just hope that zos integrates them with mainland breton culture in q4 to make them relevant to bretons as a whole and not have it just limited to a historical perspective. But seeing as they are a huge part of Breton's ancient roots, ya their motif should be respected.

Lorebooks is all I could ask for, honestly. As is, the Bretons' classism is entirely lacking in depth, and it NEEDS lorebooks for worldbuilding.

Like what are the privileges to being middle class or upper class aside from the obvious wealth?
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
    Options
  • Disturbed125
    Disturbed125
    ✭✭✭
    Week 1 thoughts on our first run through.

Did you enjoy this new dungeon?

Yeah I thought it was actually pretty fun

How did the difficulty compare to existing dungeons on Normal and Veteran versions?

This one is pretty on par with shipwright for difficulty

Did you complete Normal or Veteran (or both)?

Veteran HM

Which was your favorite boss in this dungeon, and why?

The last boss was probably the best out of the three, the shapeshifting was cool and the mechanics were challenging but not punishing. Second boss gets honorable mention for being a new model that looks pretty great.

What level and build was the character you used?

CP 160 Magicka Nightblade
    Depths/Kinra/Mora's whispers/1 pc slimecrawl

Did you happen to notice or find anything interesting? Just curious…

Yes we found the secrets, the buffs in this dungeon are actually pretty nice, though slightly time intensive to get. I suppose that's a decent trade off if that's what it takes to get good ones.

Do you have any other general feedback?
    I enjoyed this dungeon, the art team did a great job with it and the encounters were good. Only problem I have with it is some of the damage needing tuning in the first boss fight (the stone atronachs during gold and slamming the ground). With so many atronachs in that encounter and the boss itself doing several aoe attacks its extremely easy to just get rng'd out of existence. A little lower damage on some of the stone atro abilities so that if 2 of them target the same person you dont just die would be great.
    Edited by Disturbed125 on July 12, 2022 12:07AM
    [PC NA] -Chaos Riders-
    Flawless Conqueror - Boethia's Scythe - Mageslayer - Ophidian Overloard - Shehai Shatterer - Divayth Fyr's Conjugator - Voice of Reason - Dro'Mathra Destroyer - Blackrose Executioner - Bringer of Light - Extinguisher of Flames - Xalvakka's Scourge
    Trifectas
    Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Depths Defier - Relentless Raider - The Unchained (1st NA / 2nd World) - Immortal Redeemer - Nature's Wrath - Defanged the Devourer - Tick Tock Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Dawnbringer - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - GodSlayer - Privateer - Coral Caretaker
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We ran both dungeons today on vet HM. Haven't had time to really process them; these are just some initial thoughts.

General:

It feels like this dungeon is rather long. It feels like there's a lot of ground to traverse, and the secret areas are particularly involved (though the entry mechanism for the second one is pretty cool).

Boss 1 HM:

This is the boss that we wiped on the second most (after Graven's final boss), though part of that may be because by the time we started this dungeon, we were a bit exhausted from running Graven's HMs. The mechanics seem simple enough, but there is just a lot of incoming damage, which makes it somewhat unforgiving of mistakes, particularly eating multiple Boulders from being too close to another player and eating Shockwaves from being a bit too slow on the kite.

I'd say that this is probably easier than Foreman HM in Shipwright, but still a step above other first boss HMs.

Boss 2 HM:

This boss seems to be pretty straightforward and easier than the first boss. Not much to say here. It seemed fine.

Boss 3 HM:

The breath was probably the hardest part. The ticks can't be dodged (which I assume is intended), and even stacking defenses using Bracing Anchor, Major Maim (from clench taunt), Major Cowardice (from the new NB fear), the newly-buffed NB tank self-heal, and the 10% damage mit from the final secret buff, I still required attention from the healer during that mechanic in order to survive. Which I think is just fine for HM.

Mechanically, it's pretty simple: kill conduits, survive the bombers, kill some stones using the charge, and keep the tank alive during the breath mechanic. It took us only a handful of pulls to clear HM, which I think makes it comparabele to Red Petal Bastion's final boss HM, in terms of difficulty.

Hmm. I guess I didn't really have much to say about this dungeon, after all. I think that, overall, this dungeon's HMs seem fine.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
    Options
  • AJTC5000
    AJTC5000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Initial thoughts while it was fresh - I ran in the same group as @code65536 and @Disturbed125

Build:
    CP1670 Melee Magplar DD
    False God's Devotion, Deadly Strike, 1pc Slimecraw, Mora's Whispers, Maelstrom Staff

This build was for the most part unchanged from Live, although I did swap back from a hybrid dual-wield/2H setup to a staff-staff setup, due to the nerfs to Merciless Charge. Graven Deep required ranged light attacks, and we did that one first, so I didn't swap back - however I think the three bosses in this dungeon are much friendlier to melee.

General Dungeon Info:
    We ran this dungeon on Veteran HM, and we were able to clear all three bosses on HM. The first boss definitely had the most wipes in this dungeon, comparable to that of Zelvraak in Graven Deep.

Overall this dungeon is good I feel, and the HMs are in a good place. The first boss seems to be another Foreman Braddigan situation, and I feel like that's gonna be a stopping point for a lot of groups, although we did not try it on Vet non-HM. Second and third bosses seem fairly straightforward from a DD's perspective. Aesthetically, I like the big open areas, but when I initially loaded in I was having some major FPS issues that were only solved with a relog - we suspected it might have been an addon issue, but I didn't disable anything coming back in and I was fine after a relog.

I prefer the secrets in this dungeon I think, as the buffs seemed to be a lot stronger as just intrinsic stat buffs. However I think the orb effects themselves might be too weak still - it just seems to be a little damage DoT, a little damage shield, and an Indrik that I am unaware of the purpose of? The mechanics to actually unlock the secrets were really good and unique as well, I like that you actually had to go hunting for stuff to then put in a certain location.

Boss Info:

Boss 1: Corruption of Stone
    This guy was the biggest pain point of the run, mostly because of the incoming damage from it's Stone Atronach allies. The boss itself seems to be fine - standard big AoE attacks that you can dodge, and his room-wide AoE mechanic was pretty interesting. Where the difficulty starts to come in is with the Stone Atronachs, particularly with Ground Slam. Sure, a Stone Atronach gets highlighted in yellow while it's casting Ground Slam, but there seems to be no way to actually interrupt it? The Boulder attack also makes it difficult for the group to stack up on one Stone Atronach for co-ordinated healing, so I'm mostly relying on self-heals, which aren't enough to survive a continuous Ground Slam. The interrupt-before-becoming-a-statue mechanic is easy enough. Other than some damage tuning on the Stone Atronachs, I think this HM is in a good place.

Boss 2: Corruption of Root
    Props for the new model, really reminds me of a Destiny 2 Hive Wizard both in how it looks and moves. This boss was pretty decent and straightforward overall, a simple matter of killing it when it splits, killing the Fauns before/after they summon the Root Node.

Boss 3: Archdruid Devyric
    Again pretty simple once we sussed out the mechanics. As @code65536 has mentioned the breath on the tank is probably the most difficult part, but he got through it with stacking defenses and constant monitoring by our healer. The wolves are telegraphed well, but they tend to get stuck on the boulders sometimes, which can make their Fetch attack become increasingly delayed. My one complaint would be that the lightning spear summons a little too frequently - we basically had one of our DDs constantly on spear duty throughout the fight. I did notice that whenever he transforms into his bear form, he pretty much immediately summons a spear, so there will be instances where you have two spears up if you pushed the boss while the first one was still up. The rock shrapnel that erupts from the exploding boulder is a good mechanic, forcing people to keep an eye on the arena and time their dodges approrpriately. I also think this HM is in a good place right now, especially compared to the last boss of Graven Deep.
    • PC/NA - @AJTC5000
      DC - Alena-Draco - Dunmer Magicka Templar

PvE Achievements
      Trials
      • vHRC HM
      • vAA HM
      • vSO HM
      • vMoL HM (Dro-m'Athra Destroyer)
      • vHoF HM (Tick-Tock Tormentor/The Dynamo)
      • vAS HM (Saintly Saviour/Immortal Redeemer)
      • vCR HM
      • vSS HM
      • vRG (Oax HM)
      • vDSR (Reef Guardian HM)

Arenas
      • vMA Flawless
      • vBRP
      • vVA Flawless (Spirit Slayer)

Dungeons
      • vFL HM (Leave No Bone Unbroken)
      • vSCP HM (Mountain God)
      • vMHK HM (Pure Lunacy)
      • vMoS HM (Apex Predator)
      • vFV HM (Relentless Raider)
      • vDoM HM (Depths Defier)
      • vLoM HM (Nature's Wrath)
      • vMGF HM (Defanged the Devourer)
      • vIcereach HM (No Rest for the Wicked/Storm Foe)
      • vUG HM (In Defiance of Death/Bonecaller's Bane)
      • vSG HM
      • vCT HM (Bane of Thorns)
      • vBDV HM (Ardent Bibliophile)
      • vCauldron HM (Subterranean Smasher)
      • vRPB HM (Bastion Breaker/of the Silver Rose)
      • vDC HM (Battlespire's Best/The Dreaded)
      • vCA HM
      • vSR HM
      • vERE HM (Invaders' Bane)
      • vGD HM (Fist of Tava)
      • vSH HM (Magnastylus in the Making/Curator's Champion)
      • vBS HM (Temporal Tempest)
    Options
  • Proventus
    Proventus
    Soul Shriven
    General feedback: The new motif from the Earthen Root Enclave dungeon, Y’ffres Will (used by the Deeproot Zeal, Rage of Ursauk, and Stone's Accord sets), should be used for all Druids that already exist in the previously but recently released content, High Isle.

Edit:

To assist the devs, the Stonelore Circle druids can be found here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Stonelore_Circle
    Most of what are Eldertide Circle Druids can be found listed here: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/Online:Eldertide_Circle&limit=500

gnr1mk18b805.png

Yeah I agree with using the new motif on existing druids in High Isle. Would be a lot more immersive.
    Options
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We completed this dungeon on both regular vet and vet hardmode with template characters.

The dungeon was a lot of fun although I feel the bosses lacked spectacle when compared to previous dungeons. The themeing was good even though I found the later two boss fights lacking.

Boss 1
    This boss felt great, there was a clear challenge to the vet HM and the execute gave an adrenaline rush.
    Great boss, probably my favourite from the dungeon!

Boss 2
    This boss just felt like we could just shut down our brains and kill the tree people.

The vet HM feels as challenging as the vet should feel and the hard mode introduces no new mechanics or things you need to do differently.

This boss needs to be more thought provoking and challenging for the hard mode.

Boss 3
    This boss felt like a jumble of mechanics with little cohesion. The rocks were interesting if not that challenging. The lightning pillars spawned very frequently.

The boss turning into a bear was challenging with his breath mechanic and encouraged us to push the boss through his bear phase to get him back into his regular form.

I think the idea is to encourage people to ignore the lightning columns during the bear phase and push the boss as fast as you can to get him out of it, if this was intentional then it worked!

The bear charge mechanic is fun.

It's a fun boss, though the HM did not provide us the challenge nor the satisfaction of getting the kill that killing the final boss on HM in graven deep provided.

There were no real mechanics to figure out nor strategies needing to be devised. Just kill the dude, kill the lightning pillars and dodge the red AoE's.

Secrets
    They were fun and the buffs were extremely impactful.

Difficulty
    Both of these two dungeons felt easier than those introduced with Ascending Tide and Waking Flame but harder than those introduced with Flames of Ambition. I think the difficulity is a bit on the easier side.

Make the vet hard modes challenging, people that choose to interact with that banner want to earn the kill.
    I want to think about and make strategies for every fight in your dungeon. Fights that require strategies, planning and coordination are memorable and I found the hard modes for these dungeons lacking this.

I feel we could have muted our mics for this dungeon and been just as sucesseful.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on July 13, 2022 8:32AM
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Options
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thal_J wrote: »

Earth grove entrance is under Castle Navire - but the actual island location is shown as being southeast of Amenos Station's port.

Graven Deep entrance is in Amenos port, but the actual island location is shown as being southwest of Castle Navire.

Earth grove is currently quite far away from Stonelore Grove geographically, and Graven Deep is described as being in the Abecean Ocean, but where it is now is quite deep into the Eltheric Ocean.

I think the player locations on the map for the two locations should be swapped.

unknown.jpg

not sure if their position on the world map is accurate as sometimes they do act funny, but if they are agreed
    Options
  • AJTC5000
    AJTC5000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thal_J wrote: »

unknown.jpg

not sure if their position on the world map is accurate as sometimes they do act funny, but if they are agreed

I believe the player locations are just meant to be wherever ZOS decided to make the dungeon in their dev space - it doesn't reflect the actual position of them at all, both in a game and lore sense. This might make it quite difficult for them to just swap the player locations around, as they'd either have to move the entire dungeon complex within their dev space, or maybe put some weird calculations on the player icon to have it display in a different area. Still, I guess it would be nice if it was possible.
    • PC/NA - @AJTC5000

PvE Achievements
      Trials
      • vHRC HM
      • vAA HM
      • vSO HM
      • vCR HM
      • vSS HM
      • vRG (Oax HM)

Arenas
      • vMA Flawless
      • vBRP

Dungeons
      • vSCP HM (Mountain God)
      • vMHK HM (Pure Lunacy)
      • vSG HM
      • vCA HM
      • vSR HM
      • vGD HM (Fist of Tava)
    Options
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was ok. A bit unfun at parts.

How did the difficulty compare to existing dungeons on Normal and Veteran versions?

Harder than previous DLC dungeons even on normal for sure. This is one of the few that I couldn't finish solo.

Did normal halfway.

I only experienced the first 2 bosses and the first 2 secret bosses. The first boss was interesting. Accessing the secret bosses in this dungeon takes quite long.

Trash mobs

Only complaints are with the stone atros whose stomp is just unavoidable AOE damage and is pretty oppressive.

The druids that constantly summon hoarvors can get a bit annoying.

Fauns are just insufferable. There's zero way to stop them activating the trees and the projectiles the trees shoot are just too hard hitting.

Secret Boss 1

Was generally fine, but hits a bit hard especially with the wolves.

Corruption of Stone

Generally fine, but stone atros are still a bit too hard hitting.

The stomp and shockwave is a bit too fast to avoid consistently. Just a lot of sudden burst damage that's hard to avoid and feels unfair.

Secret Boss 2

Also generally fine, but the whole process to access her fight is a bit too long and convoluted. The actual fight is just avoid red and dps which is ok I guess.

Corruption of Root

I couldn't get past this boss solo once it splits, as I'll immediately get hit by 3 heavy attacks for 12 k each which is just an instant kill. Overall unfun.

The fauns are also annoying.

Max level mag sorc.

Yes, I found 2 of the secret bosses.

This dungeon just feels overtuned in general in terms of damage. I actually had to use Ring of Pale Order to survive, which has never happened before in other norm DLC dungeons.

Trash encounters, especially the stone atro and faun were just unfun and annoying.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
    Options
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was ok. A bit unfun at parts.

Harder than previous DLC dungeons even on normal for sure. This is one of the few that I couldn't finish solo.

Did normal halfway.

I only experienced the first 2 bosses and the first 2 secret bosses. The first boss was interesting. Accessing the secret bosses in this dungeon takes quite long.

Trash mobs

Only complaints are with the stone atros whose stomp is just unavoidable AOE damage and is pretty oppressive.

The druids that constantly summon hoarvors can get a bit annoying.

Fauns are just insufferable. There's zero way to stop them activating the trees and the projectiles the trees shoot are just too hard hitting.

Secret Boss 1

Was generally fine, but hits a bit hard especially with the wolves.

Corruption of Stone

Generally fine, but stone atros are still a bit too hard hitting.

The stomp and shockwave is a bit too fast to avoid consistently. Just a lot of sudden burst damage that's hard to avoid and feels unfair.

Secret Boss 2

Also generally fine, but the whole process to access her fight is a bit too long and convoluted. The actual fight is just avoid red and dps which is ok I guess.

Corruption of Root

I couldn't get past this boss solo once it splits, as I'll immediately get hit by 3 heavy attacks for 12 k each which is just an instant kill. Overall unfun.

The fauns are also annoying.

Max level mag sorc.

Yes, I found 2 of the secret bosses.

This dungeon just feels overtuned in general in terms of damage. I actually had to use Ring of Pale Order to survive, which has never happened before in other norm DLC dungeons.

Trash encounters, especially the stone atro and faun were just unfun and annoying.

Also had trouble on the boss that splits on normal solo. She hits too hard for being a normal difficulty dungeon
    Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really no. It was not fun, mainly due to the hard hitting mechanics. Reminded me of March of Sacrifices back in the day.
    I liked the secret locations due to the parkour needed, yes it was long but I dont mind long if interesting. The underground caverns and flowers were nice but the island theme was just a rehash with High Isle textures.

As with other dungeons I always duo Normal with a friend but normal here was not normal at all. Graven Deep was ok but the difficulty here was about the unforgiving hits, constantly! The faun are hardy mobs (they feel like a Vet mob) and when they run to the tree you better run to that tree as well or your in for a world of pain. We need to tune the damage output in this dungeon on normal, most will not complete this.

Only Normal with two people, we find running duo is good practise to how you will go in Live because when your pugging dungeons through group finder you never know what your going to get but if you know you can complete with two of you then your happy to continue.

Which was your favourite boss in this dungeon, and why?
    Probably final druid boss. The mechanics were interesting, lighting rod, bear charge into pillar dazes him, bear lightning breath (ouch), small play area... it was nice this arena.

Same Templar Brawler build I use on live but for second and third boss I had to switch to dedicated Templar Tank build because it was punishing.

Well I found the secrets if thats what your asking. I liked the parkour to get to them. They were not hard, challenging but not hard. The buffs were actually useful (unlike Graven Deep) and it was challenging to try and activate the right buff for what you needed... although the last buff that gives health and protection would have been handy for the first & second boss :)

In Normal, just tone down the amount of incoming damage the players are facing on the boss fights and we will be about right for normal in this dungeon. Check out the Faun damage/health/shields, they could be adjusted for Normal as well.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second boss HM is much more difficult now in week 3 than it was in week 1. (We did not test it in week 2.)

So, first, there is an undocumented change: Planting Seeds (the summoning of the bear and senches) now happens at 90% boss health in week 3. The first time we killed this boss on HM on the first day of PTS 1, Planting Seeds happened at 45% boss health. When we killed it again later during PTS 1 (also HM), the boss never even cast Planting Seeds that time.

I assume that this is an intended change, but it has very significantly increased the difficulty of this fight, for two reasons:
    • There is a lot more area of denial in the fight from the giant AoEs left behind by their corpses.
    • It exposes the problems with Rootblood Slash, which I feel like is a broken mechanic.

So what's wrong with Rootblood Slash?

It hits a tank for half of their health bar, if they take it unblocked. All three Distributaries will launch this attack at the same time, so the tank is really taking bursts of damage much higher than their max health (on top of all the other damage in the fight, such as the Root Corruption DoT), so if they take Rootblood Slash unblocked, it's essentially a 1-shot.

Alright, so the tank just needs to block or dodge the Rootblood Slash, right? Except the ability is not well-telegraphed. Yes, the Rootblood Slash is telegraphed by yellow heavy attack particle effects that appear on the player's character. But when I reviewed my recordings of this fight frame-by-frame, I can see that the time from when the telegraph first appears to when my health bar loses health is just 0.5s.

What is the point of telegraphing the attack, when we have just half a second to see it, process it, and respond to it? That telegraph may as well not exist: it's effectively instant untelegraphed damage that has the potential to 1-shot the tank.

To be clear, the problems with Rootblood Slash are not new to PTS 3; they were there in PTS 1. Back during PTS 1, I had just assumed that I was distracted and that I didn't notice the telegraph soon enough; back then, I didn't review my recording to see that the problem was actually with the telegraph being uselessly short. And in PTS 1, after dying a couple of times to unblocked Rootblood Slashes, I just permablocked my way through the Rootwalk/Distributary phase.

But in PTS 3, that sort of workaround is no longer practical, due to the extra adds and area of denials that need to be handled.

So on top of the extra chaos and area of denial created by the earlier Planting Seeds summons, all the extra things that the tank now needs to handle mean that it's much easier to catch the (effectively untelegraphed) Rootblood Slash attacks unblocked, e.g., during a bar swap, which instantly kills the tank.
    Edited by code65536 on July 29, 2022 11:39AM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Options
  • AJTC5000
    AJTC5000
    ✭✭✭✭
    In addition to @code65536 's comments about the changes to Boss 2, I'd also like to highlight the changes to the Fauns during that encounter.

Haven't quite worked out if Spirit of the Forest refers to these guys or not (a change that was documented in the patch notes about being a lot more common on HM), but they are doing their Root Node mechanic much more frequently - to the point where pretty much as soon as they exit their momentary stun from being knocked out of the tree, they're running off to the next tree.

This can get pretty annoying when there is more than one Faun up at a time and forces the player to go out of their way to deal with the Root Nodes. I'm not really sure what the intention was with this change - just more damage? Some kind of heal check for constant ambient damage? The amount of area denial from just the corpse AoEs and the Root Infection waves is already enough - I don't personally think the Fauns need to do this mechanic this much as it can really slow down the fight.

To clarify, I don't mind the other adds now spawning when they do - I assume this was the original intention and it gives the tank more to do, forcing the group to decide if they want to keep the pressure on the tank by holding all of the adds, or killing them at the cost of area denial.

If Spirit of the Forest does not refer to this mechanic, why did this change go undocumented in the patch notes? Boss 2 now feels like a completely different fight, despite it only receiving the one note in the patch notes.

On an unrelated note, we observed at least one time when casting Meteor that it didn't land - my Ultimate cost was deducted, but the meteor itself did not appear. Wondered if it had got caught up in the cave roof somewhere . . .
    • PC/NA - @AJTC5000

PvE Achievements
      Trials
      • vHRC HM
      • vAA HM
      • vSO HM
      • vCR HM
      • vSS HM
      • vRG (Oax HM)

Arenas
      • vMA Flawless
      • vBRP

Dungeons
      • vSCP HM (Mountain God)
      • vMHK HM (Pure Lunacy)
      • vSG HM
      • vCA HM
      • vSR HM
      • vGD HM (Fist of Tava)
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final PTS patch notes, with no mention of adjustments to Rootblood Slash on the second boss. This fight is extremely unbalanced at the moment, in large part because of this effectively untelegraphed attack.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Options
  • Azrael001
    Azrael001
    ✭✭✭
    On hardmode at least, the atronach's slow beam seems bugged. When interrupted, you remain slow for the whole duration with the only difference being that you are not stunned at the end. Kiting all the AOEs is insanely hard while slowed, and you HAVE to spam roll dodge, thus draining stam like crazy. Also, the beams are very often invisible, so you are guaranteed to be slowed + stunned.
    Options