The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The Oakensoul Ring has ended the PVP tank meta and ushered in another glorious damage meta

Cuddlypuff
Cuddlypuff
✭✭✭✭
After PVPing for a solid week this patch, I've come around to the realization that Oakensoul is the best thing to ever happen to Cyrodiil. For the record, I don't even use it. Thanks to Oakensoul, the tank/heal/stall meta is officially dead. Even if people still try to build as tanks, they will simply get VDed or Occulted by several nearby Oakengankers. I couldn't even care less if the ring goes on unchanged. Players are actually dying all over the place now in Cyrodiil and it is truly wonderful.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on June 27, 2022 2:35AM
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually made my mag sorc fun to play again, I would keep it the way it is as my disabled sister can play and PvP togetther with me.

Templers are attrocious with this thing but it ends stalemates in endless PvP tank metas
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a PVPer, but the absurd tank/heal stalling that could be done was one reason (of many) why I was not interested in it. So this sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to wait and see how it plays out, but that sounds more fun than the last time I was in Cyro.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 26, 2022 5:28PM
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll hold on my agreement with "best thing to ever happen", but otherwise this has been my perception so far too, that this ring has introduced the Trinity to PvP in a way previously unimaginable.

I was told in other threads I'm wrong, that the defensive advantages afforded by Oakensoul exceed those gained by running a defensive backbar. Seems questionable but ok, I'm still new to this patch.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »
    After PVPing for a solid week this patch, I've come around to the realization that Oakensoul is the best thing to ever happen to Cyrodiil. For the record, I don't even use it. Thanks to Oakensoul, the tank/heal/stall meta is officially dead. Even if people still try to build as tanks, they will simply get VDed or Occulted by several nearby Oakengankers. I couldn't even care less if the ring goes on unchanged. Players are actually dying all over the place now in Cyrodiil and it is truly wonderful.

How good is it for the people who don't want to buy a whole chapter just for one mythic item that will almost certainly be nerfed in short order? (and absolutely SHOULD be nerfed very significantly)

Edited by EdmondDontes on June 26, 2022 8:06PM
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok.

What about the topic of this thread though?
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [snip]

In a way that's a good thing it's really hurt the more organized groups and made a fairer playing field for the pug groups.

After all Zenimax's failed efforts to nerf ball groups that just made them strongly they've ended up doing it by accident and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 27, 2022 10:16AM
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [snip]

The ring was changed a lot on PTS, so as hard as it is for people to accept, it seems like an earnest attempt at balance, not a moneygrab conspiracy.

People might see a nerf to this item in 1-2 patches and see that as "proof", while completely ignoring all the older sets that get buffed, the new sets that aren't OP, and the ones that are near useless at launch. Hello, Dov-Rha ...

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 27, 2022 10:18AM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »
    [snip]

In a way that's a good thing it's really hurt the more organized groups and made a fairer playing field for the pug groups.

After all Zenimax's failed efforts to nerf ball groups that just made them strongly they've ended up doing it by accident and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

That's not what its done at all. It's made pretty much just tower jumping oakensoul players, and being ganked driving more players to stacking and/or ball groups. Moderate groups either waste time chasing humpers and cloakers, or get zerged down when it run into full faction stacks or ball groups. Ball groups are stronger than ever

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 27, 2022 10:18AM
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Exactly.

Oakensoul is for players that think buying the latest expansion should put their playing strength on equal par with those who have spent years learning to optimize their rotations and play style.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 27, 2022 10:19AM
  • kalimar44
    kalimar44
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about getting this ring, but won't it just be nerfed?
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

kalimar44 wrote: »

I am sure it will be, but not until the new dlc zone with other antiquities is released. I just hope they don't break it, many people who physically can't keep up with healthy experienced players can use this to help themselves compete.

Also a lot of nerfed classes need this to compete as well... If anything its not the ring thats the problem its class imbalances exaggerated by the ring like templer that makes them easy one button wins.

As major heroism, only 1 class which requires a reaction and three 2 crappy sets have this buff, because of that it wasn't properly tested which is why its so powerful. Now its main stream because of the ring, that heroism buff may need adjustment.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kalimar44 wrote: »

Sure it is , until the hot sell .
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great points everyone.

What about the OP's very interesting point?

You're allowed to think the ring is imbalanced while also agreeing that it may have resolved the tenacious imbalance that "tanks can deal as much damage as DDs".
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From Deltia, one of the best PvP players in the world:

"Oakensoal is ABSOLUTELY [...] INSANE in PvP."
    "With Oakensoal, I can be SUPER TANKY [...] and HIT HUGE CRIT AOE NUKES."
    "Like a WALKING GUN [...] SUPER GOD MODE in PvP."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkvlF5mecg
  • grapedog
    grapedog
    ✭✭✭

Stop posting the same comments in different threads...
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Agreed

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 27, 2022 10:20AM
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This plus Heartland Conqueror and Decisive trait is insane.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blessing of the Potentates, Akaviri Dragonguard, Oakensoul Ring, Balorgh, NB with Soul Harvest. Decisive Weapons = Spam Soul Harvest
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High damage metas are generally a good thing, but when the high damage is only for players using 1 bar it’s a huge issue. The strength of this item is greatly diminishing the integrity of PvP in this game.

IMO this is the worst patch I’ve ever played. I refuse to dumb down the mechanics I have spent thousands of hours mastering, and I’m at a disadvantage for doing so; what is my incentive to play this patch? First time I’ve ever regretted subbing.
    Edited by MentalxHammer on June 27, 2022 5:58AM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of build opportunities with brokensoul...

honestly, for those of you who spend most of your eso time fighting other players - do you really miss bar-swapping and constantly having to buff yourself and practice your rotations...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • auz
    auz
    ✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    lots of build opportunities with brokensoul...

honestly, for those of you who spend most of your eso time fighting other players - do you really miss bar-swapping and constantly having to buff yourself and practice your rotations...

Yes. The 2 bars and buff management is part of what makes this game interesting.
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    This plus Heartland Conqueror and Decisive trait is insane.

Nope, you're better off with direct ult gain sets like Werewolf Hide.
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭

As much as I like his content, passion and dedication he's far from one of the best PvP players. Every build looks insane if you have a pocket healer or stacking cross heals in a group. There's no argument major heroism has to go. In Pve your loose a significant amount of damage. It's glorious that I am able now to do 50 k with basically two buttons, but I can do 90 with two bars. In Pvp there are 3 builds which profit insanely and thats related only to the used ults. Sure you gain some damage but you always tradeoff other things like mobility, multiple healing sources, sustain or group utility. The Ring raised the floor for everybody but not the ceiling and enabled some high burst jack of all trades builds due to its heroism portion.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll hold on my agreement with "best thing to ever happen", but otherwise this has been my perception so far too, that this ring has introduced the Trinity to PvP in a way previously unimaginable.

I was told in other threads I'm wrong, that the defensive advantages afforded by Oakensoul exceed those gained by running a defensive backbar. Seems questionable but ok, I'm still new to this patch.

I agree with you, for one. Defensive capabilities are only ultgen builds, other than that only defensive tool Oaken provides is major protection, which can be obtained by slotting a skill. And I do think that major heroism is OP and should be removed.
  • Nightwiish
    Nightwiish
    ✭✭✭
    If they change Oakensoul in any way shape or form, I will ask for a 100% refund that I spent for High Isle.

The reason why Oakensoul is so popular is because majority of players don't find juggling 10 different buffs with such short durations *fun* gameplay. If they increase the buff durations on buffs like Major Protection, Mending, Vitality and others to be 30+ secs then sure go ahead and change Oakensoul.
    @loki220
    Nighwtiish - Stam DK
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nightwiish wrote: »
    If they change Oakensoul in any way shape or form, I will ask for a 100% refund that I spent for High Isle.

The reason why Oakensoul is so popular is because majority of players don't find juggling 10 different buffs with such short durations *fun* gameplay. If they increase the buff durations on buffs like Major Protection, Mending, Vitality and others to be 30+ secs then sure go ahead and change Oakensoul.

It does 5 more buffs beyond what most people keep up. Taking down 2 or 3 of those and you would still have the gameply you want and be fine
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its just too simple, [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 27, 2022 4:39PM

PC EU
    PvP only
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more. The game has grown stale. People are emotional again. I hate to say it but 1vxers are the most vocal against it. I get it. It hurts their playstyle. But overall health wise I think it’s better for the game. Players are killable again.

If you don’t want to die then that’s fine. You can still build for it. But the days of being unkillable and killing everything are not present. Tower humpers can only farm pugs for so long now until oaken players come end it so we can get back to objectives.

I for one think it’s better. And it seems like the majority do. The minority is those who like to farm bad/newer players.

The cool thing is is you can put your pride aside and wear it yourself.
    Edited by ShadowProc on June 27, 2022 1:31PM
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're trying to say a set is balancing pvp? Sounds like the set is overperforming.

Sets never should balance pvp, they should be trying to make the game balance on it's own. Not slapping sets on the game to fix balance. Zos needs to stop introducing sets to balance the game and fix broken crap.

Dark convergence didn't fix game balance, Plaguebreak didn't fix balance, Crimson didn't, malacath didin't, Sload's didn't.
    Oakensoul doesnt either. It's just OP in pvp for the same of OP

They need to actually make the game balanced and stop using sets to balance pvp that is terribly balanced
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade