The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Tempest Island Vet - what's the mechanic?

Jpk0012
Jpk0012
✭✭✭✭
I did this a few times yesterday, and every group had trouble with her. I guess not many people know the mechanic. The AOE is simple enough. But then she will teleport and 1 shot whoever is in her way. I attempted to dodge roll when I thought she as about to do it, but I was still hit for 30k despite my dodge roll. What am I supposed to do? Thanks!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best way to do this is to stand directly outside of her AOE. Right on the edge of it. And then don't move from that spot the entire fight.

Her AOE won't hit you. And she only teleports if someone is too far away. So staying right on the edge means she stays exactly in place. Tank can even just range taunt as well and stay just outside the AOE. The only thing you have to account for is the tornado things, but just make slight adjustments to avoid them or get back in place if they hit you.

Fairly easy fight once you just stand at the edge of the AOE. I got frustrated with groups dying on this, so I went through and soloed it for the no death achievement.
  • Jpk0012
    Jpk0012
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, that is good to know! Thank you so much.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would agree with @jaws343

her aoe and her teleport both hit very hard, so you cant be too far from her, and you have to be mindful of the aoe to get out in time or just stay a bit out of the range

the tornados are a little unpredictable sometimes and have sometimes pushed me just into the aoe burst at the wrong time because they are poorly telegraphed and nearly invisible
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You have to stay close to the boss at all times. During the growing AOE, get out of it and instantly return back after it explodes. The boss only teleports to a far away player and never teleports if everyone is nearby.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to stay close to the boss at all times. During the growing AOE, get out of it and instantly return back after it explodes. The boss only teleports to a far away player and never teleports if everyone is nearby.

This is really bad advice. You do not have to stay within the range of the aoe stacked on top of the boss. Just outside of it. Then you never have to move and the boss never teleports.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

This is really bad advice. You do not have to stay within the range of the aoe stacked on top of the boss. Just outside of it. Then you never have to move and the boss never teleports.

It's a perfectly valid strategy.

Hug the boss. This makes it easier to keep buffs/heals on everyone. Plus, not every damage dealer is ranged. As soon as the AoE appears, just roll out of it. And as soon as the AoE completes, roll back in.

In my experience with PUGs, her charge to people who are too far away kill far more frequently than her AoE. And it makes sense: the AoE is clearly telegraphed, and there is ample time to move out of it. Her charge range, however, has no visual indicator and there is no way to know if you are too far away.

You are telling people to stay "just outside the AoE", which is fine when the AoE is visible. But once it has gone away, how do you judge that distance? How do you know that you're just far away enough without being too far, without that visual aid? Things don't stay perfectly still on that fight as people are buffeted around by the winds. And, again, not everyone has the luxury of being able to be ranged.
    Edited by code65536 on May 7, 2022 7:12PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Hug the boss. This makes it easier to keep buffs/heals on everyone. Plus, not every damage dealer is ranged. As soon as the AoE appears, just roll out of it. And as soon as the AoE completes, roll back in.

In my experience with PUGs, her charge to people who are too far away kill far more frequently than her AoE. And it makes sense: the AoE is clearly telegraphed, and there is ample time to move out of it. Her charge range, however, has no visual indicator and there is no way to know if you are too far away.

You are telling people to stay "just outside the AoE", which is fine when the AoE is visible. But once it has gone away, how do you judge that distance? How do you know that you're just far away enough without being too far, without that visual aid? Things don't stay perfectly still on that fight as people are buffeted around by the winds. And, again, not everyone has the luxury of being able to be ranged.

You judge the distance by literally not moving after the aoe is done. Not that difficult.

The problem with the back and forth method is too much can and does go wrong that wipes groups. Players dodge roll too far and get leapt to, players panic and make mistakes. Standing in one spot for the entire fight is far simpler. Once the first aoe goes off, move to the edge and stay put.
  • Marolf
    Marolf
    ✭✭✭

You judge the distance by literally not moving after the aoe is done. Not that difficult.

The problem with the back and forth method is too much can and does go wrong that wipes groups. Players dodge roll too far and get leapt to, players panic and make mistakes. Standing in one spot for the entire fight is far simpler. Once the first aoe goes off, move to the edge and stay put.

But what if you aren't ranged?
  • Lazuli
    Lazuli
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, the trick is everyone should be close to her, as soon as you step out of the aoe , go back near her again
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The winds often prevent getting out of the AOE circle in time when hugging the boss. The optimal tactic has already been posted, either stand just inside the aoe range and step out or just outside the aoe range.

As far as strategy goes, consider not bringing pure melee dps to that dungeon when forming the team intending to do HM or even just vet. Another strategy is not PUG it for HM if at all possible.

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    The winds often prevent getting out of the AOE circle in time when hugging the boss.

Yes, the wind can push someone who just dodged out back into the AoE. But it is also just as capable of pushing someone who is standing at range back into the AoE.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It also helps if one person slots the faster rez cp. It can be very difficult to rez on the the final boss because the tornados will interrupt the rezzing.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst case if none of these suggentions manage to happen theres always block! You cna see 1 sec before she teleports that shes going to... Juts block n take a 1000dmg and carry on like nothing happened
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With everyone using daggers for a front bar? Yeah, good luck with that.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, this is generally how I've suggested people treat the encounter. I'm also not convinced that 'just outside of her AOE' isn't also just inside her range for her charge. There are only a couple of times in game where literally standing in the same place is a good strategy and most of those are exploits.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • xiphactinus
    xiphactinus
    ✭✭✭
    I stand just on the outside of the aoe and follow it's movement, this prevents the charge 100%. Solo vet not hm though.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kahnak wrote: »

Agreed, this is generally how I've suggested people treat the encounter. I'm also not convinced that 'just outside of her AOE' isn't also just inside her range for her charge. There are only a couple of times in game where literally standing in the same place is a good strategy and most of those are exploits.

I mean, I've solo no deathed this fight on vet and stood in one spot and parsed the boss the entire time.