The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Buggy Heavy Attacks.

• VolrathStormborn
    VolrathStormborn
    ✭✭✭
    Another PTS week where no mention of any fixes to Console Inputs, Skill queuing, triggering Pots/Ultimates, and just the simple ability to Heavy Attack from a SnB block or staves with all of this work on LA/HA.

Makes me sick. Is it not worth the Dev time since it is not as big of an issue on PC? I had someone test it on the PTS and it's still there with his controller mode.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please update us on this. Even if it's just to be told "we're still looking at it".

Do you realize how crappy it feels as a paying customer to be asked "what is communication to you" and then be ignored for 4 months about a bug that everyone is complaining about? Imagine going to Starbucks daily and having them put spoiled milk into your coffee despite you letting them know about it. Telling you that they'd look into it, yet they continue to use the spoiled milk for several more months, ignoring you while you choke down rotten coffee.

Do better. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_RichLambert
    Edited by vivisectvib16_ESO on August 8, 2022 6:24PM
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    Another PTS week where no mention of any fixes to Console Inputs, Skill queuing, triggering Pots/Ultimates, and just the simple ability to Heavy Attack from a SnB block or staves with all of this work on LA/HA.

Makes me sick. Is it not worth the Dev time since it is not as big of an issue on PC? I had someone test it on the PTS and it's still there with his controller mode.

It hard for issues like this to be fixed especially since it focuses more on tanks than it does dps. People wonder why there’s a scarce amount of tanks it’s because our community is small and getting smaller like we have 0 voice over issues we need fixed they prioritize dps and healers player over us. Tanks in general don’t complain that much about breaking issues like this. This issue makes it rough both in pvp and pve to tank since getting a heavy inbetween is much harder and now time consuming. I have been having to take extra hits just to be able to gain back resources and times it has killed me for doing so. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Bill @ZOS_Adrikoth @ZOS_Kevin
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭

It hard for issues like this to be fixed especially since it focuses more on tanks than it does dps. People wonder why there’s a scarce amount of tanks it’s because our community is small and getting smaller like we have 0 voice over issues we need fixed they prioritize dps and healers player over us. Tanks in general don’t complain that much about breaking issues like this. This issue makes it rough both in pvp and pve to tank since getting a heavy inbetween is much harder and now time consuming. I have been having to take extra hits just to be able to gain back resources and times it has killed me for doing so. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Bill @ZOS_Adrikoth @ZOS_Kevin

I wanted to go into a dungeon to test this bug some more...but the UI bugged out and I couldnt accept any notifications for dungeons so I couldnt test the bug...because of...bugs. That should paint a picture for ya.

ihao3oordc2j.png
  • CaperGuy
    CaperGuy
    ✭✭✭
    This bug definitely affects my ‘poof tank’ on Xbox on which I make use of Explosive Rebuke set on which I often have to block and then immediately heavy attack to proc set. I think you folks are right, it has to do with block dropping and some kind of cooldown before it’ll let you heavy attack. You used to be able to start your heavy attack nearly simultaneously as you dropped block and it would seamlessly transition but now there seems to be a cooldown and if you start the heavy attack too early, it doesn’t begin at all and you stand there like a fool. It feels a -lot- clunkier than it used to.

I’m about to make a PvE heavy attack related dps build for the next update, and I’m paranoid that this bug is going to make it mess up often when I go to attack after blocking some mechanics. :(
    Edited by CaperGuy on August 10, 2022 3:46AM
    Characters:

Trivalaur - Breton Templar(Healer)
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    CaperGuy wrote: »
    This bug definitely affects my ‘poof tank’ on Xbox on which I make use of Explosive Rebuke set on which I often have to block and then immediately heavy attack to proc set. I think you folks are right, it has to do with block dropping and some kind of cooldown before it’ll let you heavy attack. You used to be able to start your heavy attack nearly simultaneously as you dropped block and it would seamlessly transition but now there seems to be a cooldown and if you start the heavy attack too early, it doesn’t begin at all and you stand there like a fool. It feels a -lot- clunkier than it used to.

I’m about to make a PvE heavy attack related dps build for the next update, and I’m paranoid that this bug is going to make it mess up often when I go to attack after blocking some mechanics. :(

Its extremely frustrating. Same thing happens if you try to quickly sprint after actions in dungeons as well. Have to press it multiple times before it happens properly. Or if you try to quickly swap weapons. Add that, the hitbox bug where your rest/lightning staff wont go off, and horrible gameplay feel on top of very flashy screen and effects...you can barely tell what is going on sometimes with your character.
  • patricknl76
    patricknl76
    ✭✭✭
    I still have the issue . My mainly play tank . On ps4 i never had the problem with heavy attacks. But since I bought a ps5 9/10 heavy attacks on my tank dont work. My thought has always been that it has something to do that the ps5 controllers have adaptive triggering . I plugged in my ps4 again a while go and had no problem at all . Thats the only thing I can think of . But whatever it is , it is freaking annoying , specially when running end game content .
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    I still have the issue . My mainly play tank . On ps4 i never had the problem with heavy attacks. But since I bought a ps5 9/10 heavy attacks on my tank dont work. My thought has always been that it has something to do that the ps5 controllers have adaptive triggering . I plugged in my ps4 again a while go and had no problem at all . Thats the only thing I can think of . But whatever it is , it is freaking annoying , specially when running end game content .

It’s not the triggers in the ps5 I have this issue in the ps4. The problem is block bot dropping properly. Here’s a experiment you can do to understand the problem better. If your hold heavy attack let it keep going then hit block let go of block your heavies will transfer smooth from block. If you hold block first try to heavy after you will just stand there before the game realizes you are holding down the heavy attack button. I have done a lot of playing around to find the issues it’s the transition from block to heavy. I’m at a point where I hit a skill then a heavy now to just sustain for it will allow you to heavy attack. I recently got a ps5 I gave the same issue as I did in my ps4.
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KatP @ZOS_Kevin I have narrowed down this being a problem from the transition of block to heavy attack. From experimenting I have discovered if you hold heavy attack first then hold block while still holding heavy and let go of block the transition back to heavy is smooth like it used to be. When you hold block then hold heavy attack the transition to heavy doesn’t happen at all like it used to. Instead your character will just stand there to get a heavy in faster we are having to do another skill to be able to heavy attack to get our sustain in as tanks. Can you please get back to us on this issue we really need this fixed the patch notes for update 35 don’t even mention a fox to this issue being fixed.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi All. Wanted to follow up here. We did pass this issue along when we last commented about the reports of heavy attack being bugged. We checked in with the team last week to check in on this. Unfortunately, they have not been able to reproduce this issue internally. However, we have share the thread again for the team to continue their investigation of the issue. We will pass on any additional feedback to help narrow down this issue for the team to identify. @Darrell9090, we'll make note of your testing for the team to try as well.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • VolrathStormborn
    VolrathStormborn
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, if you get on any console (can't say for PC) hold block. Then hold attack. Let go of block while still holding the attack and you get nothing. Just an inactive toon.

You used to bash and go right into the heavy attack. Now you need to let go of block wait half a second or so and start the heavy.

Staff users (lightning and resto) are seeing the top of the staff light up and do nothing. Flame and Ice get stuck in the animation to complete a heavy even after they have already let go and do not want the heavy attack.

Extra Info:
    May be related to queuing inputs. Kind of been this way with all around laggy inputs from controllers. Potions and Ultimates have to be hit two-three times. Press a skill after an action, sometimes it goes off, others its a couple seconds later. I'm happy to set aside time to make videos or work with someone if needed because it really sucks. Used to be responsive and fast paced. Now I'm worried to throw a heavy in a lot of the time.

Appreciate a response nonetheless!
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi All. Wanted to follow up here. We did pass this issue along when we last commented about the reports of heavy attack being bugged. We checked in with the team last week to check in on this. Unfortunately, they have not been able to reproduce this issue internally. However, we have share the thread again for the team to continue their investigation of the issue. We will pass on any additional feedback to help narrow down this issue for the team to identify. @Darrell9090, we'll make note of your testing for the team to try as well.
    If you want I can make a video demonstration when I get home from work tonight and post it here explaining the issue as I reproduce it. Thanks for finally getting back to us

• ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Darrell9090 If you record a video, please ping me. Will pass it on to the dev team.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    @Darrell9090 If you record a video, please ping me. Will pass it on to the dev team.
    @ZOS_Kevin here’s that video I said I would make hopefully this helps and that I explained it well enough. https://youtu.be/CglIBg1YN5w
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey kevin. I wanted to share these two videos for you, since you asked for evidence. These are not exactly the issue OP is talking about, but this is a bug that has been around for a while now and has been severley hampering my gameplay.

When you fall off of something, while actively weaving attacks/using abilities, you will sometimes hit the ground and begin endlessly charging heavy attacks without pressing the button to do so. You then need to bash to stop the heavy attacks from continuing to fire.

This is not specific to controller or console - I'm on PC, and I have friends that use mouse and keyboard and have experienced the same issue.

https://streamable.com/ydjnhi

https://streamable.com/y2069k
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin here’s that video I said I would make hopefully this helps and that I explained it well enough. https://youtu.be/CglIBg1YN5w

Thanks for posting this @darrell9090 - I was trying to do VCR HM last night as Main Tank and I died about 5-6 times due to this issue.

@ZOS_Kevin - as outlined in the video, the issue is that pre-U33, you could hold down block and start up a heavy attack so that it would automatically start winding up when you let go of block, and vice versa. Now you just stand there, leaving yourself vulnerable and it's super problematic for any kind of end game vet content, especially for tanks.
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just found this thread as I was coming to report this annoying bug...

Thank you guys for taking the time to post these videos. But I was wondering if a video with the on-screen controller like some streamers use would help the devs to see when buttons are being pressed since block has a visual indicator in-game but heavy attack does not. Sorry but I don't know how to use that controller widget thingy in a video...

Here's hoping this gets fixed and doesn't turn out like the "sprint bug" (where it takes clicking the gamepad's left stick 3 times in order for sprint to activate) that is still present in game...
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    N00BxV1 wrote: »
    Just found this thread as I was coming to report this annoying bug...

Thank you guys for taking the time to post these videos. But I was wondering if a video with the on-screen controller like some streamers use would help the devs to see when buttons are being pressed since block has a visual indicator in-game but heavy attack does not. Sorry but I don't know how to use that controller widget thingy in a video...

Here's hoping this gets fixed and doesn't turn out like the "sprint bug" (where it takes clicking the gamepad's left stick 3 times in order for sprint to activate) that is still present in game...
    That’s why in my video I say what I’m doing helps them recreate it them selfs I demonstrated and showed it in sustain then showed it not only on one class so they can’t say it’s just the dk. Hoping this gets it fixed now just waiting on @ZOS_Kevin yo respond to our findings and videos now
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Just wanted to update here. I’ve passed this on to the Dev team members who have been looking into this. Thanks for the videos and feedback. I’ll follow up once I hear back from them.
    Staff Post
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    The only way the dev/testers would not be able to see this bug is if they are hardwired connected to a server and thus have near non-existent lag and the bug is somehow related to the lag. Ask the testers to test on an actual player test system that has lag around 100ms. They wont be able to not repeat it at that point, no matter the controller they use or speed of the system.
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    cptscotty wrote: »
    The only way the dev/testers would not be able to see this bug is if they are hardwired connected to a server and thus have near non-existent lag and the bug is somehow related to the lag. Ask the testers to test on an actual player test system that has lag around 100ms. They wont be able to not repeat it at that point, no matter the controller they use or speed of the system.

The big is not related to lag even hardwired it would still be there. It’s a bug with transition from block to heavy attacks. Instead of the transition we had for years prior to update 33 you just stand there and take damage. I explain this in the video I left for them to look at and demonstrate it.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi All, one more bit of feedback before giving the team some time to work on this. Got some brief feedback from the team noting that your feedback here has been helpful in narrowing down the issue. We'll be checking in with the Dev team as they work to address this and follow back up if we need anything else. Also feel free to ping if there is any additional information.
    Staff Post
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All, one more bit of feedback before giving the team some time to work on this. Got some brief feedback from the team noting that your feedback here has been helpful in narrowing down the issue. We'll be checking in with the Dev team as they work to address this and follow back up if we need anything else. Also feel free to ping if there is any additional information.
    Thank you Kevin will do
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Several times now (including last night), my character has of his own accord started to spam-cast heavy attacks out of combat in trials without the HA input from me as I switched from keyboard mode back to gamepad mode. It’s set to “automatic” in settings. Last night it occurred in Rockgrove when I was waiting for a pull to start and pushed something on my controller (possibly the trigger that would normally do a LA) to get the game to put me back into gamepad mode. It did, but it also got my character stuck casting HAs when I wasn’t touching the controller. It has also happened that way in DSR, where I was wondering why none of my LAs were landing and it turned out my character was attempting to HA between skills and therefore ignoring the trigger input for a LA. When I stopped any input for a few seconds, my character continued to HA the boss.

This transition from keyboard to gamepad mode seems very susceptible to bugs in other ways too. It causes health bugs in Cloudrest and Halls of Fabrication, where being in gamepad mode and hitting a key on the keyboard can cause any number of group members’ hp pools to appear to drop and remain capped at the new number while they’re actually at full health. This occurs even out of combat, for example just waiting for a pull to start. I know this can happen with the check mail key (’), the movement keys (WASD), the crown store key, and others. It makes it very hard to know what to press to transition “safely” between the modes when they’re set to automatic.

I really appreciate the automatic setting so we can switch between these modes, but it’s producing really problematic bugs at the worst times.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    React wrote: »

Hey kevin. I wanted to share these two videos for you, since you asked for evidence. These are not exactly the issue OP is talking about, but this is a bug that has been around for a while now and has been severley hampering my gameplay.

When you fall off of something, while actively weaving attacks/using abilities, you will sometimes hit the ground and begin endlessly charging heavy attacks without pressing the button to do so. You then need to bash to stop the heavy attacks from continuing to fire.

This is not specific to controller or console - I'm on PC, and I have friends that use mouse and keyboard and have experienced the same issue.

https://streamable.com/ydjnhi

https://streamable.com/y2069k

I am getting this same bug all the time now and it's incredibly disruptive to gameplay, especially in pvp.

Edit: It is happening with two-hander and bow heavy attacks in my case.
    Edited by Finedaible on August 22, 2022 10:35PM
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever this patch did...its worst...way worst. My character on a last dungeon boss was just repeatedly stuttering trying to launch a heavy attack with no success. Then my abilities were not working either. Others throughout the day reporting the same thing. Almost like the game is detecting you are about to hit an innocent and prevents you.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this was happening to me this evening when I solo’d a normal dungeon to see how the update would affect my DPS. I needed to do more heavy attacks because my DPS was lower and so was my sustain. But even counting 1 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000 didn’t result in a heavy attack with destro staff at least half the time.

PS Like so many others, I hate the new jabs.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Bill @ZOS_GinaBruno are we now looking at this like it’s a new combat feature rather than the bug you created? Because this thread, like the bug itself, is being ignored entirely it seems. I’d like to know so I can just play my tank again and try to find an actual workaround for something you guys messed up badly. It’s even affecting my healers now because of mechanics that require a block and if I’m running roaring that requires regular heavy attacks my character stands like an idiot for eternity until I spot it….

I mean… you wanna give love to heavy attacks? FIX THEM … that’s the only love they really need.
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    @ZOS_Bill @ZOS_GinaBruno are we now looking at this like it’s a new combat feature rather than the bug you created? Because this thread, like the bug itself, is being ignored entirely it seems. I’d like to know so I can just play my tank again and try to find an actual workaround for something you guys messed up badly. It’s even affecting my healers now because of mechanics that require a block and if I’m running roaring that requires regular heavy attacks my character stands like an idiot for eternity until I spot it….

I mean… you wanna give love to heavy attacks? FIX THEM … that’s the only love they really need.

I believe they are looking into it now for o explained it what was going on ina. Video I posted here Kevin responded and said it has helped them narrow the issue. Now we wait on them to update us on the progress of fixing the issue. This could be a patch they do before or after the next major update. I don’t think they will be able to squeeze it in there.
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any ETA of when we can expect this to get fixed?

It's now been 5 months since this thread was created. And going on 16 days since the last time we heard from @ZOS_Kevin