The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Should ZOS delay account-wide achievements until June?

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Account-wide achievements should be delayed to a future update
    Sonnir wrote: »
    Account wide achieves should have been implemented YESTERDAY!! (Including motifs, which last I heard, will saddly not be included in account wide achieves.)

No delay; please keep this in the next update. I have been WAITING for this since Beta!

If you waited this long for it then what is waiting a few more months so that ZOS can iron out the bugs and provide us with a non achievement based character tracking system to go along with it?
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Push it through as is, I'm happy with what was proposed.

Even with the bugs?
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    i love the fact that people think they can just pick and choose what goes in and what doesn't at this stage.

the code is merged into the release code base. they won't be able to just take it out, so it means more code over the top of the new code to work around the new system and maybe copy back in bits of code from the old system.

you don't want that. it would be bad. maybe it's not ready, but their deadline isn't moving so it's coming, like it or not.

I think we have all accepted that it's coming at this point. We can still provide input on how it's done.

Based on what we have seen on the pts this is already new code that was stitched in with the old code. This isn't a new system really its the old system being glued together to make it do something that it wasn't designed to do. We can see that from the many quest bugs that exist where achievements were used to determine interactions with the player and other such items.

Bugs and messes that will take ZOS years to patch at the rate they go.

The existing system may work well if Zos wipes everything and we all start fresh with it but as it is, it's broken. So what's an update or two while they fix it?
  • Asmelia
    Asmelia
    ✭✭
    Account-wide achievements should be released with this update
    keep up the improvment and release it as soon as possible.Waiting it for years.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Rather see them scrap the plan to be honest. A lot of players are going to be unhappy whatever ZoS do.
    Edited by dinokstrunz on February 23, 2022 12:38AM
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am absolutely for AwA and am perfectly okay with things such as world bosses, public dungeon bosses and delves being considered completed when discovered as it does not prevent the content from being done and such no content is being lost, although (delve) boss respawn timers need to be improved to make up for it, but I do not want it to launch how it currently stands

Fixing the collection quests is a great first step but there are still instances of lost content, one time interactions such as the “adoring fan”, and things acting like quests were already done, like the
    2 queen issue
    in Elsweyr and other instances of something reflecting a finished quest line despite it not being done or even started that simply can not be allowed to hit live as it currently stands

(And I voted for the wrong one)
    Edited by Jestir on February 23, 2022 1:01AM
  • Cominfordatoothbrush
    AWA should be delayed until whatever period of time it takes for zos to develop some kind of system that allows us to view what individual characters have done.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d like to thank all those who are so pro AWA that they continually dismiss other players concerns about losing all their characters data as foolish or believe ZOS will ‘fix’ it after the fact (🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣) for their compassion & tolerance towards those with a different viewpoint.

Few of those raising the alarm or suggesting pausing this are saying a blank ‘no’ to AWA.
    They are looking at ensuring this can be implemented in a *better* way, one that can do both AWA and CBA, without making the game utterly FUBAR.

And yes, if this goes ahead as is, the game will be FUBAR.

So please try & show a tad more empathy & understanding. Read through the feedback thread.Otherwise you look like entitled fools.
  • Nemezijus
    Nemezijus
    ✭✭✭
    I personally believe that AWA is gonna ship the way it currently is in the PTS and some future patches (the weekly ones) will take care of the remaining bugs. This was basically confirmed when they announced it proudly in their live stream. The dual mount case was the only announced feature that was postponed, but they also mentioned in that stream (back in 2020) "this is going to be for testing on the PTS". For AWA they said "with Update 33 we will be releasing account wide achievements...".
    The end point is that the individual tracking per character will be either scrapped or stopped being tracked from the upcoming patch. This is just my gut feeling.

I know that there are a lot of people unhappy on the forums about this. However, this feature has been requested on multiple occasions in the past and my opinion is that AWA is something that for ZOS, in one way or another, will ease database and server management and maybe pave a path for some new features that now will be available with global achievements.

Why we couldn't have both options available? I guess we will never know, ESO devs rarely tend to talk about the game engine and server details. Though if you are trying to simplify database management, you don't keep the old system and slap another one on top, this would be the opposite of simplifying it.

I still think this has been a long-term process and I do believe that the devs know what they are doing, this is not an indie company which would allow interns to do quick and dirty fixes. And an achievement system, which is integrated in the game world reactively, is not an easy thing to refactor.

Surely this decision will make some people leave, but it might also be a good selling point for new upcoming players, who are used to AWA in other games. Player turnover is a regular thing in MMORPGS.

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to be enough time. I expect those choosing other options just want something different.
  • Shnax
    Shnax
    ✭✭
    To me this looks like a feature they quickly put together because it seemed to be a low-hanging fruit and they thought the update needed something more.
    With a decent concept, AWA can be a cool feature that adds to the game, instead of just removing the tracking of individual progress from characters. I would like to see additional achievements that are explicitly designed to be done by multiple characters, like completing a dungeon or trial with each role.
    The absolute minimum I would expect is having a list of all characters who have completed it shown on the achievement. If they can get that done for this patch, I would still not be happy but somewhat reconciled. But I think AWA actually deserve a proper concept and should be delayed until they have a version that really adds something new to the game.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    It seems to be enough time. I expect those choosing other options just want something different.

No, we’d like something that works.

(And that doesn’t obliterate what the game shows now - individual character progress, which is measured in the game by achievements.)
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voted Yes because I’ve always wanted account-wide achievements.

Learned more about how ZOS actually implemented this feature - now I want to change my vote to a resounding No. All account-wide achievements should be is a way to see all achievements in an account wide format. Collectibles, titles, etc can be account-wide too (some players still debate this but that’s fine).

Individual character quest progression and achievements info should be completely untouched. There could be irreversible consequences next patch.
    Edited by Vaoh on February 23, 2022 5:37PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

No, we’d like something that works.

(And that doesn’t obliterate what the game shows now - individual character progress, which is measured in the game by achievements.)

I agree it would be nice to see both character and account achievements, but that is just wanting something different as I noted in the post you quoted.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should probably go through a list of every bit of dialogue and story diffrences tide to achievements and make those character bound. I don't think people will mind if quest related or random encounter achievemtns like that wont be account wide

This
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    They should probably go through a list of every bit of dialogue and story diffrences tide to achievements and make those character bound. I don't think people will mind if quest related or random encounter achievemtns like that wont be account wide

This

Thank you, that would be preferable, and I would be willing to take the loss as long as they fix these.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • SirBedevere
    SirBedevere
    ✭✭✭

Can they do this without affecting the ability to purchase achievement furniture account-wide? I think that would certainly make people mind.
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    TPishek wrote: »
    silvereyes wrote: »
    J18696 wrote: »
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    This needs to be delayed. There are still other quests that are bugged besides museum ones (epilogue in Markath for example, and two queens on the throne in Elsweyr, and more others have mentioned). NPCs are reacting to things alt toons have never done. Many of us want to see a two tab system with Account Wide Achievements in addition to Character based ones and preserve the individual character achievement and tracking we now have. Why can't we have both? This seriously needs to be delayed or I might delay renewing my sub.

I can see npc reacting to certain achievements a character has not done being a issue but other than that I don't see a reason this was not in the game years ago
    How do you propose zos fix stuff like this after the information about which characters did the achievements is destroyed? And this is just one of the many bugs discovered so far. What about those that don’t get discovered during PTS at all, just due to the sheer number of quests and achievements out there?

You're assuming they're just going to carelessly delete all that data as soon as the patch comes out, and I seriously doubt that is the case. At least not right away.

Whether they keep a backup or not is immaterial. If new activity is not logged per character, data is being lost.

Edit: exhibit A of a character who did an account wide achievement last week that was reverted to character scope this week.
    9cot1chcc86i.png

Now imagine if they have to revert the database on the live servers after a week. It would really suck if you got Emperor during that week (or TTT, or Godslayer or whatever) and then lost it due to the revert.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hafgood wrote: »
    Account wide achievements should be delayed until such time that all feedback has been read and acted on. Basically they need to redesign totally what they have done and do it properly

While that is good for some, others are quite happy with the overall direction. This is a situation where ZOS can take some time and implement fixes, but if they listened to everyone, they would have a paradox where the both do and do not add account wide achievements at the same time. I think they should take as much time as possible to fix the easier things while still essentially implementing the system more or less as it is now. The steps taken to make museum collections character based is a solid compromise, but there are a few others that could also help make the system more palatable for everyone.

Not really. I have read extremely few, if any, posts that are totally and completely against AwA. In fact, most are neutral or positive to the idea. But not in its present form. It is the implementation that is flawed, not the idea of AwA.
  • SirBedevere
    SirBedevere
    ✭✭✭
    Account wide achievements should be delayed until such time that all feedback has been read and acted on. Basically they need to redesign totally what they have done and do it properly

While that is good for some, others are quite happy with the overall direction. This is a situation where ZOS can take some time and implement fixes, but if they listened to everyone, they would have a paradox where the both do and do not add account wide achievements at the same time. I think they should take as much time as possible to fix the easier things while still essentially implementing the system more or less as it is now. The steps taken to make museum collections character based is a solid compromise, but there are a few others that could also help make the system more palatable for everyone.

Not really. I have read extremely few, if any, posts that are totally and completely against AwA. In fact, most are neutral or positive to the idea. But not in its present form. It is the implementation that is flawed, not the idea of AwA.

I personally fall into this camp. I'm all for account-wide stuff. In fact, I really wish they would make most things, like mount training, lore books, motifs, and guild skill lines account wide.

However, I expect to have a functional RPG that doesn't just auto-complete content for me. I expect to still be able to tell which bosses I've killed and which vet dungeons I've completed. I expect to still be able to do all the quests again. I expect to still be able to level XP and skills as quickly as before.

This whole thing seems more like it was rushed through to solve a technical problem in the short term far more than a legitimate attempt to make a better game.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally fall into this camp. I'm all for account-wide stuff. In fact, I really wish they would make most things, like mount training, lore books, motifs, and guild skill lines account wide.

However, I expect to have a functional RPG that doesn't just auto-complete content for me. I expect to still be able to tell which bosses I've killed and which vet dungeons I've completed. I expect to still be able to do all the quests again. I expect to still be able to level XP and skills as quickly as before.

This whole thing seems more like it was rushed through to solve a technical problem in the short term far more than a legitimate attempt to make a better game.

My view as well. Indeed, when it comes to the idea of saving server space (as seems to be the explanation to why AwA needs to happen), it is very odd that they do not merge motifs, lore books and mount training in there. Or - not. See, some of these things, especially mount training, have crown-store sellables tied to them. If you don't have to get every single character through the riding-hoops, why would you buy riding skill buffs for crowns?

It is hard not to get a bit cynical... :/
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This exactly! It’s part of the basic functionality of an RPG — MMO or single player — and I have been shocked and saddened that they think this is okay. We all play differently, but I can’t imagine anyone who cares about the quests and world at all will be okay with this change if they play on more than one character. :pensive:

From communications at the start of the year, I thought there would be few to no new features this year to better take care of the health of the team and focus on the foundations of the game talked about in the PvP update — and I was behind that 100%.

Instead, an integral part of the game is being compromised while a totally extraneous card game is being added. To me, that feels like a betrayal.

Take the time to preserve the heart and soul of this awesome MMORPG and I’ll be onboard. I do not have to like every decision, direction, addition but from the pages of feedback and heartfelt stories and concerns, I am not the only one who feels like this is a breach of trust.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 25, 2022 6:50PM
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I play on console and have no access to PTS, I can only see what issues others have posted and cannot verify them.

Overall it sounds like the current PTS implementation is buggy, so I vote to delay until the bugs are fixed.

• opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of the overall design, it seems like this system has some bugs and knock-on effects that there probably isn't enough time to fix this cycle. I hope they take the time to work out those wrinkles before they push this system live.

I'm particularly concerned about bugs that impact quest availability.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    TPishek wrote: »
    I say just put them in as is. There's going to be bumps in the road, bugs and glitches and hurt feelings, but I think this is one of those things that requires the Band-Aid to be ripped off all at once. It will end up being okay in the end.

Agree.

According to Mr. Firor performance problems have been found, & going to take a lot of work fixing, let's not slow that process this year with AWA...PvP players have been waiting far too long.

If zos delays this indefinitely then they can focus on performance. I find it highly doubtful that the reason they are doing AwA is do to a performance improvement.

If that were the case there are a lot other items they can cut out including the halting od adding new achievements, and new motifs, and new items to the game to halt it.

whats funny is almost the entirety of the Q&A post was explaining how account wide achievements was to improve performance lol :D

for reference: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/598865/account-wide-achievements-q-a
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should not only delay the account wide achievement thing, they should retool it entirely. They should also delay all content releases until the re-architecture is complete.

Instead of getting rid of data to make room for DLC's that are rushed out with broken combat changes and some upcoming card game that no one asked for.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Just say NO to permanent character data deletion. We worked hard to get those achievements on our alts.

Stop killing replayability and figure out how to preserve the uniqueness of our characters.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.