Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Upgrading to PS5 do you like it better than PS4?

Veinblood1965
Veinblood1965
✭✭✭✭✭
Getting ready to upgrade to PS5 from PS4. For those that have do the graphics look a lot better? Are there different PS5 console types? If so which one works best?
Cons?
Edited by Veinblood1965 on January 12, 2022 7:27PM
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The graphics are fantastic and in performance mode at 60fps is so smooth in comparison to ps4 pro

Ps5 comes with disk drive or no disk drive. I use mine as a bluray player too so got mine with a drive
    Soupy twist
  • AlladdinSane
    AlladdinSane
    ✭✭
    Load screens are much faster on the ps 5 as well. The controller is heavier though which I don’t like.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Getting ready to upgrade to PS5 from PS4. For those that have do the graphics look a lot better? Are there different PS5 console types? If so which one works best?
    Cons?

Performance is night and day difference in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on January 12, 2022 7:38PM
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you use a disk to play now, you will still need the disk to play if you don't buy the digital version to replace the disk.

The difference in load screens is very big. All the time I'm loading out of a forward camp, or able to move off the wayshrine before everyone else in my group.

The water looks amazing lol.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The controller is heavier though which I don’t like.
    I personaly became used to that
    I mean last week i went to se my brother, we played on his ps4 and i did ask him is it was a third party controller since it felt soooo light😆
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cons?

PS5 graphics are a bit better than the PS4 Pro graphics. The best feature is performance mode which improves the significantly. Most of the time when others are having lag I have little to no lag.

I didn't buy a PS5 for ESO, I bought it for other games.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's immediately noticable just spinning the camera around for the first time. Going into a busy city and seeing fully rendered characters and not the shadow people. Load times are a massive improvement. It takes like 20 seconds total from the start screen to actually being in the game.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Biggest improvement imo is the quicker loading screens. Yes the graphics are better and the performance mode/fidelity is nice but load screens by far make the game much more enjoyable. Although, a higher frequency of crashing has been an aggravating factor compared to ps4 in my experience.
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's immediately noticable just spinning the camera around for the first time. Going into a busy city and seeing fully rendered characters and not the shadow people. Load times are a massive improvement. It takes like 20 seconds total from the start screen to actually being in the game.

This.

I can't tell you how many times when I was on my PS4 that I got angry at the game when running to the Elden Root Wayshrine in Grahtwood. Simple because there is a group of 3 or 4 NPCs right in front of it and on PS4 they take AGES to load so they are invisible and they block you.

This is not a problem on PS5 - all NPCs are instantly loaded and all other players pretty much are too. I now actually take the time to look at other players and see what they are wearing since I don't have to stand there for 30 seconds anymore waiting for their gear to load.

The Pros for upgrading to the PS5 version of the game far out way the cons. Besides if you dislike it you can always keep on playing the PS4 version, no need to get rid of it at all.
  • RNGeeze
    RNGeeze
    ✭✭✭
    It was less impressive for me than some jumping from the ps4 pro variant visually plus I always favor performance mode over fidelity but the load times are one of the first things you’ll notice and find hard going back.

It’s not all perfect though, I’ve had quite a few crucial failings in the enhanced edition that stopped me from being able to load a character again until I fired up the last gen version or waited 2 days for a ticket to get me moved. Reaper’s March had a hard crash in one particular section that was unplayable and the zone story for The Reach in Blackreach: Arkthzand Cavern as well (the library). The latter was fixed I’m not 100% sure of the former so I try to not trigger it in case.

In any case there might come a point where you’ll need you install the last gen version on the ps5 so don’t be surprised if it happens. Just don’t make my mistake and delete it once thinking well they fixed this problem so there won’t be more right… not fun downloading this game multiple times.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I still play the PS4 version on PS5 (never heard if the console enhanced bugs were fixed or not). I don’t want to do trophies again, either. I had PS4 Pro before.

The silky smooth frame rate is the first thing I noticed, it’s so much easier on your eyes and brain. Loading times are faster but switching characters is much faster as well. Like others said, black silhouette players are gone and you don’t have to wait several seconds for NPCs and other objects to load into the scene. I hadn’t noticed much of a change in the controller, except that the crosshatched grip pattern is gone and replaced with a sort of bumpy surface which is not as useful I think. The rumble is “tighter” - only way I can describe it. Battery life is short, if you play all day get a spare so you can switch.

The PS5 itself if a big change from PS4 in that you can’t see your friends activities anymore, your Newsfeed is gone. Your desktop looks like a YouTube channel with official game stories instead. They are just fluff and have little real info there. I can’t sign up for ESO events anymore either, that section is gone. You can’t have a custom screenshot background, from what I’ve seen on the internet about these new dynamic themes or whatever. These are big drawbacks that should have been addressed. The PS5 is really game-centered where the PS4 is friend-centered. That makes for a very isolated gaming experience compared to what we had before.

The hardware is in every way much better so overall it is a better experience, even with these drawbacks, but I don’t understand why it was done this way.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• gwmayar
    gwmayar
    ✭✭✭
    If you new player - play PS5 ver, it's just runs works better. From a visual point of view, don't expect anything special, the game looks a little better, but nothing more. TECO hasn't aged very well, and already needs more serious measures than just a cosmetic lift.

If you have progress in the PS4 version and the achievements are important to you, it is not worth updating. You will not be able to continue your progress, and also some of the trophies may be bugged and will not open (read about this in the technical support topics).

The problem of crashes and blue screens in the PS5 version will still be present, but a little better than it was before. Also, the performance mode works relatively well in the open world, but in terms of dungeons and trials, there are still very significant drawdowns in FPS.

I am on PS5 and still play the PS4 version ... not because I want to ...

• H3rBie
    H3rBie
    ✭✭✭
    The difference between ps4 and 5 is like night and day, graphics, performance, loading times...

only issue I had was the ps5 controller, here I wasn't lucky and got one with stick-drift bug
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on the ps5 and still use my ps4 Pro for my alt accounts. PS5 is much much better, instant loading is worth it and graphics are better.

Only downside is the trophies not coming over, but hey, I've platinumed it once, I can platinum it again
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have little lag and quick load times on my PS4 even in Cyrodill. Maybe I just need a new TV, I've got like a 15 year old flat screen 55 inch. Anyone upgrade to a newer TV and notice a difference on how the game looks when using PS4?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have little lag and quick load times on my PS4 even in Cyrodill. Maybe I just need a new TV, I've got like a 15 year old flat screen 55 inch. Anyone upgrade to a newer TV and notice a difference on how the game looks when using PS4?

I still have horrendous lag sometimes in Cyrodiil, but I think it’s my EP Zerg detector going off, lol!

If your TV is that old it is probably not a 4K TV. The 4K HDR in ESO makes a huge difference in how the game looks. Just don’t pick “vibrant” it’s horrible, default is the way to go even though it’s incredibly dark for some reason.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Anfieldkris
    Anfieldkris
    ✭✭✭
    A few other changes I noticed going from PS4 to PS5, in addition to what’s been mentioned, mostly positive. I think most of this is simply hardware though, not related to console enhanced. The graphics do look better, but it still looks like an updated/improved PS4 game, rather than a PS5 game imo, unsurprisingly. Scenery rendering, NPCs loading way better.

Updates after maintenances are way faster to download and install
    Far fewer crashes/blue screens generally
    Although still laggy, main cyrodiil campaign is a bit more playable (just about) at busy times. It was completely futile on PS4 for me. Still issues with skills not going off, bar swapping etc though, certainly not great, but better.

One slight gripe I have (which may be a L2P issue) is that targeting enemies actually seems more clunky on PS5.
  • gwmayar
    gwmayar
    ✭✭✭

If you want to upgrade to PS5 because of Cyrodiil, I have very bad news for you, it lags regardless of the platform. It doesn't matter what you play on PC, PS4, Xbox, PS5 - it will lag simply because those three sacks of potatoes that are called servers , apparently cannot process this game mode.Or they just don't know how to write network code - because this has been going on for many years and nothing has changed.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you use a disk to play now, you will still need the disk to play if you don't buy the digital version to replace the disk.

The difference in load screens is very big. All the time I'm loading out of a forward camp, or able to move off the wayshrine before everyone else in my group.

The water looks amazing lol.

The water does look particularly good!

Yeah, PS5 version is stellar, happy they worked out the kinks mostly and it runs well. Perfect time for another stroll through Tamriel!
  • AuraNebula
    AuraNebula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these comments about the trophies...it is not a big deal.

What is a big deal is how much faster the game is. No load times, less lag, everything looks beautiful thanks to the enhanced graphics.

It is 100% worth it to lose your trophies and have better performance.