The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO PVP is the worst PVP I have ever encountered in 20 years of online video games.

• McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe try adding vamp stage 3 Undeath and see if it helps. You'll feel a sustain hit though.

Could also try slotting flare and maybe psijic ult on your defensive bar to stack up some damage reduction.

Based on the stats you posted, most of that armor/resist is pretty much toast depending on who's attacking you. I've got a couple toons that land full buffed/debuffed at like 35-38k pen.
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also - while you have fiber etc. etc. - What is your upload? This matters.

Remember, information is being sent back and forth to the server and most things are no longer on client side. Through testing we discovered that up speed/bandwidth matters. At least as far as it worked out for us. (3 people in the house play at a time at random)
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read as much as I could.... didn't want to say something somebody already said. It seems like the original poster is new to the game, yes? Maybe he's trying to break free when he's only immobilized? I used to make that mistake.

Also, something someone else did say... maybe you're too defensive? With stats like those I wonder how much power you have towards self healing? It's rather counter-intuitive, but sometimes you need more "damage" to survive longer.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Consider key binding break free to the scroll wheel, this way you can perform rapid inputs ensuring you will break free.

I have had scroll wheel binding kick me from the server with a "too many messages per second" error. (bash...insane .3s, no movement penalty, no block penalty, just saying).

What I've noticed from the players that wreck me, and make me say "wow, impressive":

1. They move faster than everyone else, 100% of the time.
    2. They momentum jump
    3. They stay inside your character model, making it almost impossible to target them as they strafe around in tight circles
    4. One skill and a med attack weave will hit me with a cc and 5-6 sources of damage, then into execute.
    5. That will wreck a 40K health player with normal armor ratings in a 1-2 seconds.

I think super high movement speed desyncs the defender's client giving the attacker a huge advantage.

Due to server lag, and this is completely different from ping or latency, can you really be sure that defensive procs like Undeath, or CP are really working, every time? No. It makes breakfree unreliable. The more dynamic, or changing your character sheet is, the more punished by server lag you are.

• Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    I'd love to know how I get 6 attacks on me in one second by ONE player.
    I'd love to see you post a CMX or Log of 6 different attacks hitting you in one GCD window from one player.

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magio_ wrote: »
    I'd love to see you post a CMX or Log of 6 different attacks hitting you in one GCD window from one player.

Probably talking about a stealthed DW Heavy Attack (2 hits) + Caluurion proc (1 hit) + Incap Strike (1 hit) + enchants. And then a Whirling Blades to execute.

On the right build that is enough to kill a 35-40k Health player in about a second. Oh and even if they instantly break free from the first burst of attacks, they can’t dodge your execute lol. Some real solid pvp we got
    Edited by Vaoh on December 16, 2021 10:40PM
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're not wrong really. Crowd control then execute before the target can do anything is the basic PvP formula in this game.

Mainly about avoiding it in the first place or prebuffing at just the right time.

Sorceror is pretty fragile on the best of days. I'd suggest getting used to the (very strange at times) PvP in ESO on a tougher class with heavy armor.

And start off by always holding block and frequently dodge rolling. Permablock isn't generally a long term strategy but it will give you time to see what's happening.

If someone's approaching you, roll dodge immediately to avoid their opener. If someone's attacking you at range, roll dodge immediately to avoid their followup. Use terrain to block line of sight (doesn't work on PvE, works wonders in PvP). Just rules of thumb for getting the hang of things.
    Edited by Fennwitty on December 17, 2021 2:49AM
    PC NA
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    You're not wrong really. Crowd control then execute before the target can do anything is the basic PvP formula in this game.

Mainly about avoiding it in the first place or prebuffing at just the right time.

Sorceror is pretty fragile on the best of days. I'd suggest getting used to the (very strange at times) PvP in ESO on a tougher class with heavy armor.

And start off by always holding block and frequently dodge rolling. Permablock isn't generally a long term strategy but it will give you time to see what's happening.

If someone's approaching you, roll dodge immediately to avoid their opener. If someone's attacking you at range, roll dodge immediately to avoid their followup. Use terrain to block line of sight (doesn't work on PvE, works wonders in PvP). Just rules of thumb for getting the hang of things.

Totally this: I would give the exact same advice to anyone joining ESO PvP now. /bow

For me personally it is also the realization that somehow I could/can not play any class I want...my StamCRos were utterly rubbish even when StamCros were super mega uber meta!! Why? It didn't fit the playstyle I enjoy and comes natural to me.

If you play sorcs and you don't exploit their great mobility maybe you need to shift to a class that would facilitate the tank or bruiser playstyle?
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    40612 Spell resist
    38302 Physcial resist
    3236 Crit resist
    35.8k health

and I am dying inside of 2 seconds. No hyperbole, no joke.

One of my Mag Sorc PvP builds has 23k spell penetration w/ 6k spell power. With Malacath I'll do 25k damage in less than 1 second against 40k spell resist. Burst sync with Power Overload + Haunting Curse + Crystal Frag proc combo and then finish you with a Streak + Endless Fury. To give you an idea of the PvE equivalent, on a 6 mil dummy I burst ~80k damage in 1s.

Are you block streaking / healing? If not, you should get in the habit of using block. It's stronger than any set in the game.

Maybe with the update to our weapon damage the devs need to work again on adjusting battle spirit. Your rotation when executed perfectly will kill someone in 1 second because with battle spirt you still do around 30-40K damage and that is where most players health sits at.

Maybe battle spirit healing out should be decreases as well damage output. That would make PVP feel more like PVP and not so much 1 second burst kills that we see today.

Or maybe hard caps on stats both defensively and offensively.
    Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on December 17, 2021 7:15PM
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40612 Spell resist
    38302 Physcial resist
    3236 Crit resist
    35.8k health

This is absolutely dumb.

EDIT: and this is while spamming heals (I am on a sorc)

I am still getting crit for 12k in middle of the damage being done. Not the opener, not the finisher.

With stats like that I can only imagine the two handed ultimate (onslaught) helping kill ya in 2 seconds (This attack ignores the target's Resistance and grants you Physical and Spell Penetration for your Direct Damage attacks equal to 100% of the amount ignored from the initial target for 5 seconds). Other than that you shouldn't br dying so fast especially if breakfree is bound to a single button.

If you have a decent magicka and health pool might even be able to use a single damage shield, but best to stack shields while recuperating from a gank/burst.

It sound like you're focused on playing magicka, you need a decent magicka pool and magicka regen. If you're just relying on class heals, then slot a restoration staff and see if those skills help you stay alive.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    This PvP can be extremely frustrating when you are new, and even then it still retains a certain level of it at times unless you're one of these magical elite who have endless sustain, mitigation, one shot burst, and speed.

The most important thing is knowing your class like the back of your hand and when to use what. Then your build, search youtube for current builds people are rolling with. Finally....speed and line of sight is key in this game. Either rock Wild Hunt or Swift...or both. Block/dodge as well. It really is a learn to play issue but even then it will still frustrate the crap out of you because there are so many stupid things in this game that should not be in PvP.

The actual PvP is horrible, but Cyrodiil is the best playground for it around. The fact this is the best RvR right now speaks to how bad the genre is.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    40612 Spell resist
    38302 Physcial resist
    3236 Crit resist
    35.8k health

This is absolutely dumb.

EDIT: and this is while spamming heals (I am on a sorc)

I am still getting crit for 12k in middle of the damage being done. Not the opener, not the finisher.
    Assuming you're not trolling, the only thing I can think of (off the top of my head) is you were being attacked by a DK running Corrosive Armor, Molten Whip and Malacath. Knowledge and experience is everything. Corrosive Armor (or Onslaught) temporarily negates all of your resistances. Malacath makes your crit resist irrelevant. A fully-charged Molten Whip can hit as hard as an ultimate or execute. What you need to realize is that this is due to temporary buffs your opponent has. An experienced PvPer would avoid getting into the situation you were in 90% of the time. For example Corrosive has a subtle sound and visual effect. As soon as you hear that you can go full defensive and streak away / line of sight for 11 seconds. The DK would have just blown an expensive ultimate for nothing.

This reminds me of another case I heard about involving Corrosive Armor. The DK was running a Master's 2H Brawler build and lured a bunch inexperienced players into a resource tower where he turned around and hit them all for 18K each, probably along with some NPCs. It's a very OP thing to do, but it is extremely situational. It won't work in the majority of situations and isn't very good in duels, therefore only a few people run those types of builds. When you encounter them, you need to adjust your defense accordingly, for example by simply not being baited into an unfavorable position. That only comes with experience.

If you hear Corrosive, if you hear Onslaught, if you hear Incap Strike, it's time to streak / dodge roll / block / shield or whatever your chosen defense is. If you have been cursed, you hear a Meteor, if Purifying Light is about to explode, and so on. You know the drill.

If you have specific issues with breaking free / lag, take the Slippery CP passive for starters and maybe wear Zoal. Those are my personal concessions to defense on my squishy magblade. I also just avoid Cyrodiil at prime time. On your sorc, though, I probably wouldn't go with Zoal. Your goal should be to never be in melee distance for more than 2 seconds. Streak and shields should be your defenses. Learn how to play a bog-standard standard magsorc to start with. Seek out Malcolm on YouTube for that.

I know you're only experimenting, but you're built completely wrong with the stats you listed. You're currently specced as a tank. Even playing a pure tank requires experience. Sustaining a tank and getting the healing right when your offensive / healing stats have been sacrificed on the altar of tankiness is not that easy. You could do that, but unless your express goal is tanking, I wouldn't waste time on it. I can only recommend starting with a standard max magicka sorc build instead, possibly with pets to provide decoy target(s) and make things easier that way.

You mentioned a Negate. Was that an enemy's or your own? If it was from an enemy, you have to dodge roll / sprint immediately on a magicka character or you're dead. If it was your own and you were being attacked by a stamina character, that will do f all to them. Negates are no use against them. They are situational and mainly used in large group play only.

If your gf kills you in duels, great! You have a partner. Duels are ideal for practicing, because they are such controlled, repeatable situations where you can try out different things.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly this is a strange question from a magsorc. Your business is doing exactly that to other people. Magsorc is the poster child for it. So let me tell you how it's done:
    1. Apply Haunting Curse to target. Will explode in 3.5 seconds.
    2. Apply Mage's Fury to target. Will explode when they fall below 20% health.
    3. Dump a Meteor on them. Will hit a second or two later.
    4. Streak through them, stunning them and doing damage.
    5. Turn around 180 degrees and hit them with a light attack cancelled into Crystal Frags.
    There. That's an example of 6 things that will go off in the same second, or near enough. More when you consider enchant damage, poisons, a DOT from, say, Degeneration, and your pet(s) zapping the target at the same time.

Now, if you're asking, how do I get the time to do all of that without dying first: For starters you're attacking from range and you should always be ready to streak if anyone gets too close. The traditional magsorc also runs 2 shields: Hardened Ward and Harness Magicka, potentially covering your entire health bar, before you go on the attack. This is why you need a high magicka build. You need your shields to be 10K ... 12K .... 13K in size each. Use Death Dealer's Fete. Use Alfiq or Necropotence. Get your magicka to around 50K. I'm not the expert on this, but that's how sorc has worked since time immemorial. The best resource for PvP magsorc, that I know, is Malcolm on YouTube. Look him up.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Turn around 180 degrees and hit them with a light attack cancelled into Crystal Frags.

If you're a console player, you can turn 180 before the animation ends so after the streak, you'll be facing their back.

Though, to execute this correctly, you gotta be familiar with streak's range and you should be able to time it with the cast time.
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO PvP is not new player friendly.

1) It is very high APM (actions per minute) and "sweaty" gaming.

2) ESO's build diversity creates massive imbalance. The wide variety of skills, sets, traits, enchants, procs, etc. allows knowledgeable and experienced players to build extreme damage, healing, and mitigation. It takes a substantial amount of time and gold to experiment and figure out what works. This is why you see so many build guides because players want a short cut. Many of those PvP builds are inferior or highly situational.

3) The battleground matchmaking is known to be quite bad. Players with years of experience get matched with brand new players. This is mostly a result of low BG population.

4) Cyrodiil lag makes it difficult to mitigate damage because incoming attacks are delayed and then burst all at once after 3-4 seconds.

5) Imperial City has Nightblade gankers that prey on inexperienced players. 35k health, 40k armor, 3k crit resist means nothing to them.
    PC NA
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    5) Imperial City has Nightblade gankers that prey on inexperienced players. 35k health, 40k armor, 3k crit resist means nothing to them.
    Would nerfing Caluurion's be enough to give players a window to respond? Or is that already old meta? Burst gankers are part of a healthy meta so long as there's a window to respond. True instakill ganking with no counterplay is highly toxic.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • jerj6925
    jerj6925
    ✭✭✭✭
    What they need are armor caps, I think someone has said this but classes\builds that can just stand there and not even need to block and taking no damage or unable to move the life bar... I say this as I watched a dragon knight (they were already beast enough but holy crap now they are just god mode) sat on a flag and not even blocking just standing there and would stop his foot (the only animation you would see) and 8 people could not move his life bar at all.. then one dragon leap and two people dead and a bunch hurt... his life bar never once flinched. [snip] Current dragon knight players I am sure will strongly disagree as this must be the most easy mode fun they have had in a long time.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 19, 2021 1:31PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jerj6925 wrote: »
    What they need are armor caps, I think someone has said this but classes\builds that can just stand there and not even need to block and taking no damage or unable to move the life bar... I say this as I watched a dragon knight (they were already beast enough but holy crap now they are just god mode) sat on a flag and not even blocking just standing there and would stop his foot (the only animation you would see) and 8 people could not move his life bar at all.. then one dragon leap and two people dead and a bunch hurt... his life bar never once flinched. [snip] Current dragon knight players I am sure will strongly disagree as this must be the most easy mode fun they have had in a long time.
    There is simply a huge disparity between people who know what they're doing and those that don't. Those who know it at a muscle memory level and those that don't. Two experienced players can kill almost any player, whereas 10 inexperienced players might do nothing to the same target. If the DK was just standing there, healing and not blocking, that more than likely says something about the attacking group than about him. There is actual skill involved.

I am not the best player, but for example I have learnt to do vVateshran fast enough to be under the Spirit Slayer time, every time. I was watching a friend do it, via Discord, and he did all the right things. He was weaving. He had a rotation. He had a decent build. And yet he was slow. Noticeably so, but it was really hard to tell exactly what he was "doing wrong". The only thing I could say was that his rotation was, perhaps, not fluid. He did not seem to be multi-tasking properly, for example he did not always move while he was buffing. He occasionally stood still.

And so it is in PvP. If your rotation is inefficient, if you're doing not quite the right skills at the right time and you don't position yourself correctly, your effectiveness plummets. It doesn't just drop by a few percent. It plummets. That's the way this game seems to go. It's the same between me and my duelling partner. He has surpassed me thoroughly. Why? Because he has trained to where his rotation is instinctively better. He is at a point where he'll beat me even while he's playing a new class, but I've seen him on the defensive against a better dueller on that class. His initial conclusion: This new class, mag DK, is worse than stam DK. Maybe. Maybe he doesn't have quite the right build yet. I don't think that's the biggest factor, though. The biggest factor is, IMO, an even slightly unfamiliar rotation or, as a newer player, that you never worked it out to the level of the best players in the first place. If you are afraid of your target, if you don't know THEM well and where their limits are, you tend to over-defend and your own pressure collapses. That tends to give them free reign.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 19, 2021 1:33PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would nerfing Caluurion's be enough to give players a window to respond? Or is that already old meta? Burst gankers are part of a healthy meta so long as there's a window to respond. True instakill ganking with no counterplay is highly toxic.
    Nightblades were extremely strong last summer when the patch as a whole was really high damage. Now? Still good, but "meh" in comparison. I'm with "The Real Godzilla" on YouTube. The disparity between a magblade and a stamblade ganker is still there. It was always so high, there had to be a multitude of factors. Really hard to pinpoint why, but stamblade is still stronger. Stamblade does not need Caluurion. Magblade is inferior, even with Caluurion.

You're forgetting that Caluurion is not instant. Is it situationally strong, because the target may not dodge roll it in complex fights, where they're already under pressure? Of course, but that goes for ganking in general. 1v1, however, it's the same as always. You get ganked by a nightblade, you dodge roll, and 90% of the time you negate their burst entirely. For my own play, I have settled on the following:
    • My 50K+ magicka magden runs Dampen Magic and pretty high sustain. Nightblades have not been able to get through that, after I dodge-roilled their initial attack. I was in IC. Believe me, they tried.
    • My stam DK - any stam class really - is running all Well-Fitted now. That's fixed my personal problem with prolonged nightblade fights: Running out of stamina from too much blocking or rolling.
    There is no instakill ganking against experienced players. If you get insta-killed in a 1v1, you've not been on your toes, not moving, not buffing or not been at the keyboard for a second. Do I get caught out sometimes? Yes, of course. Wouldn't be fair to nightblades otherwise, though, would it? :)

By the way, ZOS have done something interesting with Caluurion already. They made it so that it only procs from light / heavy attacks. This has made it more difficult to construct burst for the nightblade that won't be dodge-rolled.

All that said: If you really want to counter nightblades, do what I do on my own magblade: Take Slippery CP and wear Zoal. You automatically break free and counter-stun the attacking ganker. Can't tell you how often that has saved my bacon. Do nightblades have counterplay? Absolutely.
    Edited by fred4 on December 19, 2021 4:20AM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What they need are armor caps,
    By the way, you know that armor is capped at 33K (50%), right? Whatever that DK did, it wasn't the result of being passively unkillable. Furthernore ZOS killed you being able to see all animations (though mostly of friendlies) on the altar of performance. It might have been hard to tell everything he was doing. Do I scratch my head sometimes and think the same as you? Yes. However I also know that people who run an active defense can be very hard to distinguish from passively tanky people. Given that the DK in your scenario didn't seem to be a wet noodle when he leaped, he was probably running a more active defense than you give him credit for.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they need are armor caps

This is an ironic take in a thread where the OP is struggling to survive.

Really, armor is soft capped at 50% resist 33k armor. People easily can penetrate almost half of that. That's not what these "unkillable" tanks are using. If you limited damage reduction even more; you likely would make it even harder for new players and established players would be fine as they'd make more efficientuse of the active defense.

Now; I would think maybe reducing base damage so full defense sets with offensive set was not as effective at damage and healing. Even raise the stats on offensive STAT sets as they do not seem as efficient as defensive sets; but I would not support limiting new players from passive survivability
    Edited by techyeshic on December 19, 2021 5:25AM
  • Fazuszek
    Fazuszek
    ✭✭✭

Bruh. Unless u post a video how u play, nobody's gonna really help u. Post a video - u gonna get solid feedback about ur skills/or whats wrong.

Simple.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

HP and Armor doesn't mean anything really, piloting skills matter. NBs can extend burst into longer (riskier) sequence, or do several waves with very small interval in-between. Depends on NB build ofc.

I'm rolling bashblade, I can eat through 35k chars easily if they start playing defensively (and I force them to, because initial advantage) and fail to escape from my range, and none of their friends show up to help. Doing DPS is cheaper for me than recovering from it for other party, but that's build-specific thing.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    NBs can extend burst into longer (riskier) sequence, or do several waves with very small interval in-between. Depends on NB build ofc.
    Yes all of that is fine, sorry I misunderstood this thread being about true insta-kills, it's not, carry on.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It actually is the worst, lol, but I think that is what makes it different and fun. No other mmo can I just run around the entire map invisible and 2 gcd literally everyone I see. Nor does any other game allow you to be tanky, max burst, and max heals all at once. Disgustingly imbalanced, but that truly is what makes it fun.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBs can extend burst into longer (riskier) sequence, or do several waves with very small interval in-between. Depends on NB build ofc.
    Yes all of that is fine, sorry I misunderstood this thread being about true insta-kills, it's not, carry on.

I don't believe it's possible to 2-GCD 35k with decent armor. Even with caluurions and simmering, that's just way too high. But 3-4 GCD with some undodgeable finishers - yep, possible. Been on receiving side too.
    Edited by divnyi on December 20, 2021 3:19AM
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty borked, sure. Worst PVP ever encountered in 20 years of online video games, I think that's a little harsh. Would I recommend it to a serious pvp'r, no. I know alot of people like to bang on about the super high skill cap, but between the lag, the broken sets and the exploits, it's not really set up for any sort of competitive gaming. What ESO does offer is pretty unique RvR combat, huge sieges and a lot of fun. I don't think there's anythign like it on the market - do correct me if I'm wrong. Sure, it can degenerate into a loony tunes cartoon, but that has a charm of it's own...

• xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe it's possible to 2-GCD 35k with decent armor. Even with caluurions and simmering, that's just way too high. But 3-4 GCD with some undodgeable finishers - yep, possible. Been on receiving side too.

Whatever I will just tell you what I am doing, its an old build from like a year ago anyways. Its molag kena + doylemish + calurions. An oldy but a goody in this patch. Get your buffs on, simmering, swing twice at the air to proc kena, cloak, cast balance(for empower), Full heavy attack, then either surprise attack or incap. Thats all 1 gcd and then you can finish with whatever you want, but I personally love whirling blades cause like you said you can't dodge that. You got to be an absolute monster tank to survive all that damage if you are unprepared for it. Most of the time I don't even bother with simmering because its just overkill. I think with the build its probably better to use sated fury instead, so at least you get some hp back for your epic escape.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

I dont even think anyone has mentioned how important healing/LOS/mobility is.

Look at your heals more like a shield that you need to maintain every 5-10 seconds, heal before you enter a fight even at full health.

Line of sight (LOS), is the best damage mitigation in the game, use tree's, rocks, walls anything that will make it hard for your enemies to target you.

Sorc and NB's have the best mobility in the game & when used correctly cloak/streak, they can decided when to enter a fight and when to leave & reset the fight.

Set your mouse wheel, to either bash when rolled forwards and dodge roll when rolled backwards, this helped me immensely.

Finally, dont listen to people who say, try this class because it's "tankier" all classes are tanky if they are played correctly, get to know your class by watching content creators who play your class, watching their rotations, by dueling, BG's and being proactive about getting better.

[edited for rude/insulting comment]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 20, 2021 2:26PM
  • Alchimiste1
    Alchimiste1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A screenshot of your death recap would be very helpful. If its a pure gank build then getting one shot seems understandable. If you are dying every time after being cc'd that's something else. You need to response quick to cc break and for example dodge the assassin's will that is likely to follow
    Edited by Alchimiste1 on December 20, 2021 5:44PM