The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fun or Creative Updated Companion Builds?

peacenote
peacenote
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hi,

I'm just curious, now that companions have been out a while, if anyone has any builds to share? It feels like all the "streamer" builds have remained static since they first came out, and I've seen the best ideas on the forums, but they often aren't presented in a way that is easy to find again. For example, someone says "I do this with Mirri" and it's one line buried in a post about something else.

Most specifically I'm looking for DPS ideas for Bastian. I've been leaning towards having DPS setups for both companions a) because my main is a healer and b) because it seems like any DPS added is the most efficient way to do things, when mostly at this point I can solo / survive whatever I need to do. However I like seeing all the build ideas, especially ones where people say "this ability helps me do x."

I will say for soloing and duo-ing the companions are more fun than I thought they would be. Don't care about quest or rapport or "relationships" but having a little extra DPS, heals, or simply amusement, like a more customizable pet, or even laughing when the AI does something weird in fights is fun. Can't wait until they release an "evil" one.

Thanks!
My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
  • Advocate for this HERE.
  • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions have issues, a lot of issues. Much of their AI script and ability functionality can make builds on paper seem viable until you put them to the test in-game and you'll notice somethings become counter-intuitive because of how they behave. Skill positioning doesn't always use abilities in the order you give them, putting something at 1 or at 5 doesn't guarantee they will use it first or last in the sequence.

Bastian has no closer ability, Blazing Grasp is single target only and it doesn't bring him into the fight just one person away from it and with half the weapons the moment he uses it he will immediately dodge roll away before using the next ability in line. The only ability that gives him a combat closer is with one-hand and shield. His ultimate has the same issue, it requires he be in melee with his focused target for 2 seconds before the actual cast of another 2 seconds (so its really a 4 second casting time) and it can still fail if the target moves out of range during this time. With all ranged weapons except frost staff, he will use up both his dodge rolls before even attempting to use his ultimate while his dodge rolls are on cooldown.

Mirri's Warp Strike has a pretty high failure rate by which I mean she will use it then not use it, but still consumes the cooldown. You'll see her attempt to flash jump, but not actually do anything or any damage while still running towards the target. Like with Bastian if Warp Strike does hit while using a ranged weapon she'll dodge roll as her immediate response for being in melee range of her target. Why would you give her a ranged weapon with Warp Strike, some abilities like Elemental Barricade and Arcane Nova work best if she can close into more targets than if she were to cast it normally; incidentally you have to use a frost staff for this to work efficiently.

Speaking of Elemental Barricade, this ability has some janky condition requirements, its a great AOE in your head because its the same as your Blockade, but not in the hand of companions. In most cases of casting rotation they will generally skip using this ability if no enemy is in range and the start of most fights they tend to be at the furthest range away so it doesn't get used very often. When an enemy does come in range (usually at the very tip of the 18 meters) they will use it doing damage to 1 enemy that may or may not have moved out of the way. Using it with Warp Strike and a frost staff is the only way to make it really hit multiple targets because enemies tend to clump or drawn together.

I can go on with a lot of their abilities and why they're faulty and how in the mind of a player makes sense to use, but used by companions its a complete crap show. Builds are limited not because of any creativity on the player's part, but because companions AI script, order of use or lack thereof, and dodge roll behavior gets in the way.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dodge-roll behavior doesn't happen with melee weapons or with an ice staff. Therefore, for ranged dps, I kind of like the ice staff.

I only use Mirri, but got tired of changing her gear as my elf changes from class to class. So we put her in 5 medium and 2 heavy and just leave that alone. Usually she runs S&B with no ranged ability. If my character has heals slotted, we slot Mirri up as a tank. If my character doesn't have adequate heals slotted, we often simply drop the taunt for her AoE fear skill and drop the Fighters guild protective skill for the medium armor skill Vanish. That combo reduces the aggro she gets and really helps her survive. And no need to change armor or weapons - only a couple skills.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Want to say ty to @phaneub17_ESO and @AcadianPaladin for the helpful responses.

I think even knowing what's NOT effective can be useful.

I have Mirri set up with 7 medium and a bow, and I find that she usually stays alive. But I haven't tried to assess how much damage she is doing (skills misfiring, too much dodge rolling, etc.). Not even sure how to do that.

I had found this thread a while back, and it got me interested in trying Bastian as a DPS, as my friend already has his Mirri as a healer and his Bastian as a tank. But there isn't a "full build" described in the thread.

Also absolutely none of the "streamer" builds that I've found suggest using an ice staff, which is common knowledge on the forums. This is why I was thinking someone around here might have more cohesive updated build suggestions. I know companions can be flawed but I kind of like the challenge of making them the best they can be.

My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The build I'm running for Mirri is all Quickened blue light armor with a Resto staff as Healer spec.

Bar is Mystic Fortress (swap for Twilight Mantle for more survivability) - Mending Incantation - Rejuvenation - Blood Transfusion - Ulti

Using this setup she heals enough (as much as RoTPO) to survive most stray hits from WBs and such. Twilight Mantle can work to de-aggro while she heals.

And making builds with them is not really viable as they don't have access to interesting set effects like a player has, nor do they have intelligent control over their skills (like half the skills depending on LoS are broken), and their traits are mostly just stat adjustments. Their utility is highly limited and noone really bothered, pretty much DoA after launch as far as content creators are concerned

There are no fun builds because there are no fun builds.
    Edited by xgoku1 on December 4, 2021 3:23PM