Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mechanical Acuity sucks now

Vylaera
Vylaera
✭✭✭✭✭
The Mech Acuity change is awful. It's the go to set for ganking because in this tank meta (that's not going anywhere any time soon) it's the only way to even hope to kill them. It's already impossible to gank half the people running around, now it's even harder to kill the other half.

Proc sets critting again is why this happened. They should have just allowed them to crit in PvE and add a line in battle sprit to prevent them from critting in PvP and leave Mech Acuity alone because it's worthless in PvE and wouldn't affect procs critting there.

I'm going to have to sacrifice all my other set bonuses and run 2 crit sets and I still won't get anywhere near where I am on live currently. This is ridiculous
Vy • lae • ra
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Silence on Hrothgar. Guess you'll have to slot that instead.

Acuity looks stomped into the ground. Considering it's new proc condition, they needed to shorten the cooldown, not lengthen it. I'm not a PvEer, but I can't see it being used in PvE either. There go vMA boss burn videos.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

Acuity looks stomped into the ground. Considering it's new proc condition, they needed to shorten the cooldown, not lengthen it. I'm not a PvEer, but I can't see it being used in PvE either. There go vMA boss burn videos.

In other thread people mentioned it is actually 13% on PTS, but ignores spell resist.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always wonder how ZOS manages to make
    a useful set/skill into a useless set/skill with just one patch.
    This is another superb example of "Finetuning with a Sledgehammer".
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Or the change to the Elegance set. Not that the original elegance set was great, but it was useful in niche builds before the change.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Proc sets critting again is why this happened. They should have just allowed them to crit in PvE and add a line in battle sprit to prevent them from critting in PvP and leave Mech Acuity alone because it's worthless in PvE and wouldn't affect procs critting there.

Proc sets weren't why it was nerfed, although now is a good time to do it, it's been a meta set for many years in pvp. There is very little reason to ever invest into crit chance when you can just invest into crit damage using this 1 set to time your burst window.

It effectively gave you 90% crit chance for 5s and a 16s down time. If we convert that to weapon damage or pen you will see how busted it is:

129 weapon damage = 1478 pen = 3% crit chance

90/3 = 30
    30 * 129 = 3870 weapon damage
    30 * 1478 = 44340 pen

This is obviously an extreme case where you invest nothing into crit chance, but even if you convert the 90% to 78% for major savagery or 72% for minor savagery, you're still going to get absurd scaling here.

The change hurts it's availability to be 100% ready when you need it. I'm not sure I like the idea behind the new set, but something had to be done about the previous idea behind Acuity.

PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to expand on what I said initially

>We're in a tank meta
    >These thanks can survive and win 1vX
    >there's nothing wrong with 1vX if they can still be toppled by someone who's invested everything into damage
    >But this isn't the case because even when I've chased literally every singe damage stat I can, and am as durable as wet tissue paper because of that, I still can't come close to killing them.

>ZOS says damage is too high despite a bunch of people being literally unkillable even when outnumbered 10 to 1
    >ZOS nerfs damage

>ZOS left dumbfounded when people leave the game because they've done nothing to combat the tank meta and just made it even worse

Are you serious?
    Vy • lae • ra
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did this literally because of the fact they made procs crit and it would have been out of control. Kinda silly tbh that it was even done that way.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good change. Crit strikes shouldn't be guaranteed.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?

They could be, but with a drawback, like take more damage, abilities cost more resources, etc. This is what makes games like this fun, you gain something while losing something else, and you work around that.

The way they did it with this set is bad... the set is junk now.
    Edited by kind_hero on September 20, 2021 9:13PM
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major Minor Prophecy and small amount of crit on gear, you are usually around 40% so at three stacks you have 100% crit with 4 seconds of uptime at max crit with now a 25 second cooldown... hit pretty hard
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

In other thread people mentioned it is actually 13% on PTS, but ignores spell resist.

It's actually 13% and ignores spell resist on live, or it was earlier.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Noerra
    Noerra
    ✭✭✭
    I gank people all the time without mechanical acuity. It isn't the only way.

And at the same time... Procs will be able to crit soon... Mechanical Acuity had to get a change or else everyone would run it along side other proc sets.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe test it out when available and see how long it can last. There is probably a sweet spot of crit % to get the effect to last a while. It can last up to 20 seconds if the stars and moon all align perfectly across time and space.
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »

Why?

They could be, but with a drawback, like take more damage, abilities cost more resources, etc. This is what makes games like this fun, you gain something while losing something else, and you work around that.

The way they did it with this set is bad... the set is junk now.

Exactly. They should revert the change and tack on an "All abilities cost 10% more resources for the duration" line at the end. New Moon Acolyte was one of the best sets in the game (until it got nerfed) with a cost increase as a drawback. Mech Acuity is one of the best damage sets in the game and didn't have a drawback, so instead of adding a drawback, they just made it useless. Such a waste.

ZOS should replace their pvp team because obviously someone on the pvp dev team plays tanks and that's why nothing's been done to fix this massive balance issue.

If they really wanted to fix the tank meta, like they claim they do, is to expand on proc scaling so that resistances are negative multipliers.
    Make it look like this
    "this effect can occur once every X seconds and positively scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage, and negatively scales off the higher of your Physical or Spell Resistance"
    So that tanks cant get free proc damage from putting weapon damage on their jewelry. Someone who's invincible should also do no damage.

Essentially, high resistances make proc damage less effective as an inversion of damage stats Making them more effective. This wouldn't affect the average player but would nullify damage output from tanks as a disincentive to build tanky. That's all they'd have to do.
    Vy • lae • ra
  • Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They're doing the same with Thunder Caller. It's a really fun set and it doesn't deal too much damage in PvE. Now? It'll hit for less than a light attack. The DoT had better make up for the massive loss in damage.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

They're doing the same with Thunder Caller. It's a really fun set and it doesn't deal too much damage in PvE. Now? It'll hit for less than a light attack. The DoT had better make up for the massive loss in damage.

Thundercaller in pvp did more burst damage than Vateshran 2H. About 30% more for an easy 11-14k tooltip depending on build.

The dot lasted 6s before and they said they added a tick of damage, so I assume it's now 7 ticks (ticks at 0s and 6s for 1 extra).

Using ESO sets for place holder damage.. "1875 Shock Damage and leaving a 4 meter lightning crater at their location for 6 seconds, dealing 393 Shock Damage per second."

Assuming thats 1 blast and 6 ticks for a total of 4233 damage total.

With the changes it would be:

1875 * 0.25 = 468
    393 * 1.18 = 464

So the blast does roughly the same as the aoe dot now. Assuming it's 1 blast and 7 ticks that is a total of 3716 damage.

Since this set can crit, you will see a large boost in dps for this set in pve to make up for the total damage nerf. They did say some sets would be nerfed by around 5% to make up for that.

Edited by MashmalloMan on September 20, 2021 10:59PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

It's 13% LIVE.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is only logical outcome. Acuity was too OP to be left unchanged. And I like the new wording, it actually might be even more useful in PvE now, that you can update stacks slowly to have more uptime.
  • ANewHand
    ANewHand
    ✭✭✭
    The Mech Acuity change is awful. It's the go to set for ganking because in this tank meta (that's not going anywhere any time soon) it's the only way to even hope to kill them. It's already impossible to gank half the people running around, now it's even harder to kill the other half.

>Gank and kill squishies
    >Gank and kill tanks??

You're saying you wish to be able to gank and 100 to 0 players who invest heavily in defense? While also being able to delete squishies? Do you think that's balanced?

Crit damage is great against squishies who have no crit resistance nor armor, but it's a wasted stat on tanks who have both maxed resistances AND crit resistance. If you wish to kill tanks, you should have to invest in sustained damage with high penetration and healing debuffs. But then too much penetration can be overkill against squishies and you might be less effective at one-shotting them. That's much more balanced than whatever "gank-anything" option you're advocating for.

The new Mechanical Acuity has the potential to give a lot of free crits but it's so unreliable it's going to be very niche. I'd rather have that than the current one though.
  • Shepoffire
    Shepoffire
    ✭✭✭

I'm going to have to sacrifice all my other set bonuses and run 2 crit sets and I still won't get anywhere near where I am on live currently. This is ridiculous

Acuity was a carry for ganks. I’ve never used it. Not even once
  • SoulwayFilth
    Sort of sucks for range magblade ganking. Though, the build using it was getting stale & "easy" for me. Already transitioned to another build. I would say more procs that can crit will just take its place.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let me introduce a new set for you op since sets are hybrid now, you're welcome.

https://eso-sets.com/set/caluurions-legacy

PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• camrenis
    camrenis
    ✭✭
    It's already impossible to gank half the people running around, now it's even harder to kill the other half.
    You do realise that essentially being one shot is one sided fun? And maybe that people build defensively so they can have fun playing the game rather than being dead before they can do anything?
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Proc sets weren't why it was nerfed, although now is a good time to do it, it's been a meta set for many years in pvp. There is very little reason to ever invest into crit chance when you can just invest into crit damage using this 1 set to time your burst window.

It effectively gave you 90% crit chance for 5s and a 16s down time. If we convert that to weapon damage or pen you will see how busted it is:

129 weapon damage = 1478 pen = 3% crit chance

90/3 = 30
    30 * 129 = 3870 weapon damage
    30 * 1478 = 44340 pen

This is obviously an extreme case where you invest nothing into crit chance, but even if you convert the 90% to 78% for major savagery or 72% for minor savagery, you're still going to get absurd scaling here.

The change hurts it's availability to be 100% ready when you need it. I'm not sure I like the idea behind the new set, but something had to be done about the previous idea behind Acuity.

I like this idea, but not how it was implemented. Many people suggested MA not giving 100% crit chance but something pike 75% 50% on stacks with shorter cooldown to make it viable for both pvp and pve but as usuap, zos likes to zos, they decided it should stack 100% with shorter duration and longer CD.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thundercaller in pvp did more burst damage than Vateshran 2H. About 30% more for an easy 11-14k tooltip depending on build.

The dot lasted 6s before and they said they added a tick of damage, so I assume it's now 7 ticks (ticks at 0s and 6s for 1 extra).

Using ESO sets for place holder damage.. "1875 Shock Damage and leaving a 4 meter lightning crater at their location for 6 seconds, dealing 393 Shock Damage per second."

Assuming thats 1 blast and 6 ticks for a total of 4233 damage total.

With the changes it would be:

1875 * 0.25 = 468
    393 * 1.18 = 464

So the blast does roughly the same as the aoe dot now. Assuming it's 1 blast and 7 ticks that is a total of 3716 damage.

Since this set can crit, you will see a large boost in dps for this set in pve to make up for the total damage nerf. They did say some sets would be nerfed by around 5% to make up for that.

Unlike 2h vet in PvP, thunder caller requires full charge of heavy attack while 2h bet can proc from medium attack. Their is a reaaon why most players in PvP don't use it over deadland or other proc sets, because full charge of heavy attacks can miss a lot and easy to dodge/block unlike medium weave. The nerf was not warrnted for how it function, but I understand the portion about it being able to crit. Now I wamder if they going to let caluurion legacy slide, because as far as I know, it is the hardest hitting burst proc set aside from dark and hrothgar.
    Edited by universal_wrath on September 21, 2021 5:02AM
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us fix the problem with a scalpel instead of a hammer shall we: we know that when reaching 5 stacks or when it expires invokes a 25 second cooldown, from which you cannot benefit from the 5-piece in its entirety for that time. All stacks end up getting outright removed upon such which is the pain point from my perspective and what can be done about this? Simple.

In two words: Stack Deterioration.
    When you reach 5 stacks or the effect ends, it cannot occur again for 25 seconds. during this time, Mechanical Acuity Stacks will deteriorate by 1 every 4 seconds until there are no more, that way there is some sort of power retention during the cooldown and when the cooldown is finished, it will rinse and repeat.

I know it can work but it depends on how the Combat team sees it, and more importantly, if there is no-one silly enough to try and break what already exists in the current PTS. (Because many good things have been taken from the ESO universe because of people trying to break the games elements. True intelligence speaks aloud when all fools draw silent…)
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us fix the problem with a scalpel instead of a hammer shall we: we know that when reaching 5 stacks or when it expires invokes a 25 second cooldown, from which you cannot benefit from the 5-piece in its entirety for that time. All stacks end up getting outright removed upon such which is the pain point from my perspective and what can be done about this? Simple.

In two words: Stack Deterioration.
    When you reach 5 stacks or the effect ends, it cannot occur again for 25 seconds. during this time, Mechanical Acuity Stacks will deteriorate by 1 every 4 seconds until there are no more, that way there is some sort of power retention during the cooldown and when the cooldown is finished, it will rinse and repeat.

I know it can work but it depends on how the Combat team sees it, and more importantly, if there is no-one silly enough to try and break what already exists in the current PTS. (Because many good things have been taken from the ESO universe because of people trying to break the games elements. True intelligence speaks aloud when all fools draw silent…)

What you propose will allow PvE to 100% crit all the time with no CD.
    It is already better than it was, because stacks can be accumulated slowly, potentially doubling the uptime.
  • Ezorus
    Ezorus
    ✭✭✭
    >there's nothing wrong with 1vX if they can still be toppled by someone who's invested everything into damage
    >But this isn't the case because even when I've chased literally every singe damage stat I can, and am as durable as wet tissue paper because of that, I still can't come close to killing them.

>ZOS says damage is too high despite a bunch of people being literally unkillable even when outnumbered 10 to 1

This! People don't understand that those of us who go all in for attack have zero defence. And get pissed off when they get killed. But yet its ok for a character to be full on unlikable and yet still land a leap and execute
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right. If a player chooses to build super tanky, he should not be able to deal damage in a noticable number.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezorus wrote: »

This! People don't understand that those of us who go all in for attack have zero defence. And get pissed off when they get killed. But yet its ok for a character to be full on unlikable and yet still land a leap and execute

You gankers don't understand that you create tank meta no less than tanks themselves. If not for gankers, players would be able to go more offensive and reduce HP/armor without getting 2 GCD killed out of cloak.