The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I don't understand why players complain about frequent changes.

Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
✭✭✭✭✭
I in no way want to discount the complaints of many gamers, but I'm really interested in knowing by examples.
I often see complaints on the forums from players who say they are tired of the changes in the game. And I don't understand it at all. I play this game almost from the start, and I have never experienced any problems with changes, since in general they always seemed insignificant to me. There are only two moments when I had to relearn:
* When the heavy attack entered the meta in Morrowind
* When we introduced the casting time for the ult. But since I feel good about this change, it did not upset me, although it took me a long time to get used to it.
Otherwise, the principle of the game is the same. You are just an uptime dots/buffs, filling your free time with spam attacks, casting each skill through a light attack. Yes, sometimes some skills come into the meta and others leave. But what is changing? The skills are the same and differ only in numbers, and not in some special control. Even in pvp it hardly changes. And if there are any changes, then this is more a matter of habit.
The same goes for the gear. Relequin, Syroria, PFG, Mother have not left the meta for many years. Bassei recently came to us, who is going through the armor. What's the problem with farming her? Yes, there is also Medusa's inferno staff ... But in the upcoming update, any farming problems will have to leave us. In order to collect all parts of the sets in a dungeon or trial, we need to go through it less than 45 times. Less, because on the way we will come across more chests with weapons.
So yes, change is mostly passive. I do everything exactly the same as before, but with a different result, more balanced, more variety. I see that change is good.
So I ask, give examples of when, because of the changes in the meta, you had a really difficult time.
Edited by Parasaurolophus on September 20, 2021 1:04AM
PC/EU
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    people just love complaining and they hate that feeling of insecurity that their live build is doing to be bad now. which it won't be.

exactly the same people who will complain about having to change gear setups will complain about the meta being stale.
    collections and the RNG changes will make the meta shuffle of the next patch super easy to navigate.
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try playing pvp in cyrodiil and watch the meta constantly shift from one extreme to another. Procs were not allowed in pvp for months and now you have to have 1 of 3 new proc sets.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say for me there are mainly two things I tend to dislike about changes:
    1. Poor communication: A lot of times, when Zos changes stuff, they will only roughly tell us what they did, but won't tell us the details. So we have spent time and effort to figure out stuff like "how exactly did they change the calculations", "what exceptions are there", "are those exceptions a bug that will get fixed soon or intended" The most recent example of this is the current no proc campaign. As far as I'm aware we still don't have a correct official list of sets that work there.
    2. Boring gaer farming: I know that long gear farming is intended to keep the players busy. But in other games you often get the gear that is best for a raid by killing raid bosses or doing at least somewhat similar content. In ESO the main way to get your raid gear is queuing as tank or healer for normal dungeons and rushing through them. Which is not really fun for me and most likely not much fun for the people who get grouped with me.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some changes are fine. But drastic back to back changes in a game like ESO makes it very difficult to stay ahead of the curve without significant time investment which is problematic.

When fighting or FPS games introduce balancing adjustments in patches they’re usually done on a bi-annual or annual basis. The reason being is that players train themselves, adjust, and compete knowing the ins and outs.

ESO issues major balancing updates 4 times a year. In addition to that incremental patches can come out between those major updates that also affect gameplay.

This all leads to a chaotic situation, fighting over the best way to approach content from month to month, and the time investment constantly relearning a meta or unique build.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can only think of a few changes that affected me in a noticeable way (removal of some effects from certain weapon skills, champion points) but I do wonder why after seven years they haven't figured out their own game. It shouldn't require constant adjustment like this, even if you add new elements (gear, skills, etc.)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change fatigue is a thing. The Devs tend to target the tallest poppy, so the BIS stuff gets changed periodically.

Eventually you decide whether you'll continue to chase the BIS meta or you'll be satisfied with the nearly-as-good-as-the-meta gear that doesn't change very much from update to update.

It also depends on how you play. If your trials guild cares about the meta, you'll probably be changing your gear or class more frequently that someone who's guild doesn't care. I PVP with a Guild who changes the group composition slowly as the meta changes, so I've been playing my MagDK healer for ages. Someone who plays very competitive Battlegrounds is probably going to change their build more frequently because their opponents are changing.
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you got 18 characters, golded gear, many different builds. It takes long time to adjust to changes and then they change again. But people who only play 1 character, 1 role, and only play casually then sure, no problem.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Change fatigue is a thing. The Devs tend to target the tallest poppy, so the BIS stuff gets changed periodically.

Eventually you decide whether you'll continue to chase the BIS meta or you'll be satisfied with the nearly-as-good-as-the-meta gear that doesn't change very much from update to update.

It also depends on how you play. If your trials guild cares about the meta, you'll probably be changing your gear or class more frequently that someone who's guild doesn't care. I PVP with a Guild who changes the group composition slowly as the meta changes, so I've been playing my MagDK healer for ages. Someone who plays very competitive Battlegrounds is probably going to change their build more frequently because their opponents are changing.

I think this is the core of it. PvE changes are slow or irrelevant. Whatever gear you cleared vSS HM in last year will more than likely still work, even if there is something slightly better now.

PvP things can change much quicker depending on which environment you're playing in and how badly you want to exploit the latest OP build. There are plenty of stable PvP builds that still work in all environments, but I think the more competitive you are the more you're going to want to have the latest and greatest.
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I ask, give examples of when, because of the changes in the meta, you had a really difficult time.

For PvE: Many years ago, when I was really trying to enjoy trials, I cared about the changes. Since what happened to me also affected the others in the group, I was trying to stay on top of what was considered "meta". My approach to most things is to either do it right or don't do it at all. Today however I just don't care about trials and I no longer have that specific issue. I've been wearing pretty much the same pve gear since Orsinium was released.

For PvP: Changes in the meta also changes my approach to things.
    I don't chase the meta, but if what I'm doing is no longer as effective as it used to be (due to changes) I will try to make it more functional. It can be anything between how I'm attacking a group of people, or a single player, to how I might need to escape a tricky situation. If I'm playing melee (which I really prefer) and I can't even reach my target without dying then I need to change my strategy; What was once working doesn't work anymore -> Change in build.

The "meta" in pvp is changing all the time.
    New gear is introduced and a lot of players jump on the bandwagon, causing ripple effects on how I most effectively deal with various situations (attack, defend, escape, buying time etc).
    It's the same thing for active/passive skills or even CP; what once worked doesn't work anymore. Having too much of anything (mitigation, recovery, movement speed, healing etc) is a waste and ought to be adjusted to better improve my build. It's the same thing if I don't have enough of something, then I need to adjust it; if I don't have enough recovery, for example, then I will try to get more of it to sustain my playstyle.

Even lag/bugs/latency has a similar effect.
    I've completely stopped using CC immunity, for example, because of how unreliable it is. What once worked doesn't work anymore -> change the build.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because changes are too frequent and seem poorly thought out. Change itself in an mmo is a good thing to keep things dynamic but it's reached the point where the devs seem to change things to "look busy" at their jobs.

Not to mention these changes seem more like live experiments, like an eternal beta test.

Just a small example to highlight my point: in U32 they say critical damage is too much, if they knew that why would they introduce something like the Harpooner's Wading Kilt in U30?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we can be fairly certain the set will remain in the game. As such I suggest people focus on presenting their thoughts on how they feel the set can be altered so it is more balanced in their opinion.
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because by the time people can settle into a build theyve spent theory crafting, farming, upgrading or transmuting etc, zos drops the PTS with major changes that in some cases makes their build either redundant (eg the no proc cyro, the dot meta) or not competitive moving into the next patch. So unless youre lucky with RNG, it can sometimes take weeks to get together, to now find out that it can change at the drop of the hat.

Its frustrating as the RNG is terrible in this game. Yes the new update is suppose to change that. But it still adds to the change fatigue people have when it comes to pvp.

At the end of the day, people arent complaining about changes in itself, its the HUGE changes that happen every patch and the constant see-saw of reverting changes, or completely removing something (no proc cyro). Even after zos stating they were going to stop the drastic changes every patch....
  • JTD
    JTD
    ✭✭✭

This and much more. It always feels like we are flip flopping all over the place when i comes to these changes. I don't mind farming out new gear, I don't mind the learning of new rotations but its the same thing every cycle all over again. Meta will be meta and that is fine.

For me on top of that its the lack of direction. My NB, Templar lost all identity they had with all these cumulative changes. It just doesn't matter anymore. It all feels bland and uninspirering.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Inventory space is limited.
    It takes a lot of resources to properly trait and gold your gear.
    Two weeks later, your gear is useless.

It is not like call of duty, where you have everything unlocked and available at all times, and can switch back and forth whenever meta shifts. You can only afford to store so much gear in case it will be ok-ish again next year. Then you have to go and farm new gear instead of enjoying the game, like you did before the changes.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    -DOT meta
    -Monster set overhaul
    -Proc meta
    -Buff/debuff overhaul
    -Proc overhaul
    -CP overhaul
    -Crit meta
    -Hybrid meta

all within 1-1/2 years.

People got variable time to invest into the game and I dont have time to re-learn the game every 1-2 months.

When FoA patch hit I had to change my setup on 5 characters. Get new gear, Gold it out and change to the new meta.

Im not one of the guys who can parse 100k+
    Currently im at 85k which is the lowest entry to play in trial HMs for my main guild.
    Next patch I likely will not be able to play the content I enjoy. The patches literally dictate the content I get to play in endgame, and the meta fluctuate like no game I have seen before. This patch I can play what I like, next patch I cant and the patch after I can again.

Same for PvP.
    Up until WF patch I was doing great, no problems at all, great balance. Then they introduced these new 3 proc sets to dominate the meta, and now I have to start over.
    Next patch they will likely nerf them into the ground… its exhausting for me.

This constant playing cat and mouse with the meta sucks the fun out of the game for me.

I can see how it isnt a problem if you parse 100k+ or only play casual content.

But for endgame progression teams and pvp these meta shifts matter a ton along with performance.

• EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    gronoxvx wrote: »
    Because by the time people can settle into a build theyve spent theory crafting, farming, upgrading or transmuting etc, zos drops the PTS with major changes that in some cases makes their build either redundant (eg the no proc cyro, the dot meta) or not competitive moving into the next patch. So unless youre lucky with RNG, it can sometimes take weeks to get together, to now find out that it can change at the drop of the hat.

Oh, and this. They completely changed niche set I've been using (crusader). Like, even proc condition. It used to require dodge roll. Now it requires specific abilities, which I don't even have in that build for that set. And I don't have bar space to fit them. I farmed that set, I spent transmutes and reconstructed some pieces in proper trait. If it still procd on dodge roll, I could live with that, shield is ok tradeoff for extended dodge I guess, but as a bow/bow there is no way I want to charge or pull.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why some people are so eager to let the world know that they don't care about changes. It's a bit like vegans at a party. No matter what you say or do, they WILL tell you that they are vegan. If changes do not affect you, be happy and continue playing. We get it, you are cool, free thinking individuals, immune to meta game constraints. Good for you!
    But you need to understand that if changes don't affect you, they are not made for you and your type of game play.
    There are players out there, who ARE interested in the meta and try to min max their characters. And it is completely irrelevant whether they are doing this because that's their idea of playing a game, or whether they are playing in regions where even small changes are making a difference. For those people, a constantly changing meta IS annoying.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only change that really annoyed me was when they moved Rapids. Whilst my non crafters all had Caltrops and weren't affected, my 3 fully levelled crafters had to do quite a few battlegrounds to get Rapids back, which they weren't set up for.

They could easily have swapped the healing skill over to the Assault skill instead.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sort of sense of stability makes it feel like they know what they're doing.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theory-crafting is fun, I don't mind change.
    What is boring is the lack of decent reason to do these change.

What the point nerfing DPS when you release right after Thrassian or Harpooner Kilt item ?
    Yeah, that just to sell, not to balance anything.
    Antiquity have bring more overpowered item than any other set/monster set, and in all game-mod.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I respect your opinion OP as I also don't mind some of the changes BUT there have been too many changes that don't balance the combat/gear sets/skills cos when they improve something in pve the pvp gets out of balance and vise versa. The only way eso can ever be trully balanced would be to separate pvp from pve but that wont ever happen so.....here we are yet again 😣😣😣😣

I just play eso for the nostalgia now. It's been my favourite game since pre-launch and it has some amazing beauty but I must suck at it cos I never really progress in eso. It's complicated
  • saar
    saar
    ✭✭✭
    For PVE sure it could be a lot worse especially for MagDD, which had the same few sets for ages. I think people are entitled to fatigue from meta changes though.Changing gear means... farming it (which can take hours/days/months), re-traiting it usually (more grinding for transmutes), golding it (gold grinding). You waste time and energy doing it all before you can even start to play the game. PvP is worse off as others said as it changes like the wind, proc/no-proc has been a mess and a half and you still need top gear to be competitive.

I've preferred fighting games for pvp since the whole toolkit is available to you, no grinding required, and the outcome of matches (excluding latency) is 100% based on player skill.
    wishlist14 wrote: »
    The only way eso can ever be trully balanced would be to separate pvp from pve but that wont ever happen so.....

pretty much the only solution, pvp is separated from pve in other games for a reason. I guess we'll need an ESO 2 since it doesn't seem likely they can untangle both modes at this point.
    Edited by saar on September 20, 2021 9:44AM
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me mostly because of the costs - I'm not actively looking to make money in-game or stock up mats, I get those from normal gameplay, so, having to change gear or skills, bothers me. Besides, I'm also very frustrated by the fact that whenever I come up with something, IT GETS NERFED in the following patch, it's incredible.

IMO, I guess changes hurt more low level to middle-level players that have fewer resources available and are also getting comfortable with something that suddenly changes.

There are some changes that are good though, I only wish some were less drastic.
  • Hlaaluna
    Hlaaluna
    ✭✭✭
    Generally I don't mind change in game and often look forward to it. The only time I got really dirty about a change was with the vampire skill line some time back.

I guess if people really love their character as is they are going to get a bit salty about change. But yeah things like what is BIS or meta, I am happy to go with the flow.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I in no way want to discount the complaints of many gamers, but I'm really interested in knowing by examples.
    I often see complaints on the forums from players who say they are tired of the changes in the game. And I don't understand it at all. I play this game almost from the start, and I have never experienced any problems with changes, since in general they always seemed insignificant to me. There are only two moments when I had to relearn:
    * When we introduced the casting time for the ult. But since I feel good about this change, it did not upset me, although it took me a long time to get used to it.
    Otherwise, the principle of the game is the same. You are just an uptime dots/buffs, filling your free time with spam attacks, casting each skill through a light attack. Yes, sometimes some skills come into the meta and others leave. But what is changing? The skills are the same and differ only in numbers, and not in some special control. Even in pvp it hardly changes. And if there are any changes, then this is more a matter of habit.
    The same goes for the gear. Relequin, Syroria, PFG, Mother have not left the meta for many years. Bassei recently came to us, who is going through the armor. What's the problem with farming her? Yes, there is also Medusa's inferno staff ... But in the upcoming update, any farming problems will have to leave us. In order to collect all parts of the sets in a dungeon or trial, we need to go through it less than 45 times. Less, because on the way we will come across more chests with weapons.
    So yes, change is mostly passive. I do everything exactly the same as before, but with a different result, more balanced, more variety. I see that change is good.

It depends how much you play.
    When it's alot adaption time seems less of a stress. If you play less though and want to crack on time to redo fundamentals potentially across 10-12 toons can actually out you off playing.

When I played alot I was annoyed with changes but weathered the storm (despite being vocal here) from top of head for mag sorc
    - ultimate nerf to 500 (overload)
    - MagDW nerfs (direct & indirect)
    - Frag losing stun
    - Overload losing 3rd bar and more nerfs
    - Need for resistances

As my play time came down I had some duldrum periods with no time to theory craft my way out.

So I do get it. But nuanced changes to keep the game fresh I'm all for. And Procs have been an issue for years. So begone

It all depends how much it messes with how you pla IMHO
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭

Ppl complain about changes, because people are stick to the same "past" or "AlwaysDone" metods and ways. So any variation will make them stressed, any progress will make them uncomfortble.

Only few ppl are opened for new features and dont scare abt trying.

(This includes not only players, even developers have the same feelings)
    Edited by HyekAr on September 20, 2021 10:28AM
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It comes down to how you dev and test.

The MMOs that do this well have a maximum of 2 system change patches a year, that means players have a full 6 months between balance tweeks on powers, equipment and combat stat effects.

But that only happens when you fully test the impacts of new gear sets, powers and stats, with all permutations of build before you release them.

That appears not to be ZOS's model. They lack both theorycrafting and adequate testing to understand the impacts of changes to both PVE and PVP as part of their release model. Hence the virtually monthly cycle of `Balance' changes.
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many answers to your question that will vary across the playerbase.

From my experience I did not like losing my 3rd bar as a sorc via the overload nerf. In PvP I slotted all my anti-group skills in there and in PvE I slotted skills that I could not fit on my normal bar especially as a sorc healer. I don't hate the new overload, but the nerf also affected how much damage overload light attacks did in relation to heavy attacks. It essentially deleted overload ganking from Cyrodiil, while making the heavy attacks more fun to use.

I think I can safely speak for most of the playerbase in relation to the madness of cast times placed on damage shields. If no one complained they would still be in the game.

The dot meta was "funny," but at least soul trap survived and is now a decent dot option.

I mostly hate the "revamp" of the vampire skills, but at least mist and the positive passives are good.

I'm still mad that both morphs of the shock version of destructive touch lost its stun making streak the only shock stun in the game. I liked using the stun in overland PvE and was willing to remorph it just for questing, but that's not even an option while fire can still knock back and ice can still lock down.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP meta shook up pretty wildly, it went from "slot in as many dots as you can & build damage chars" to "build tanks with proc set damage" to "build pure burst sets" to "equip 2 out of 3 new broken proc sets in any combination".

Problem is, it doesn't look like they are good with numbers and QAing what they have done. Dots were overnerfed. Procs were overnerfed. Health recovery was outright killed. New sets are broken and I bet they will outright kill them in next patches, but you need to build them today to be competitive just to dump them out in the nearest future.

They could've used PTS more extensively (extend the PTS duration) to hone the balance out there, with players that want to experiment, but they don't listen to any balance feedback.

It's not even about not liking the shakeups for me, I don't like the outcomes of those shakeups. I immediately see the ways to break the game at the point I'm reading patchnotes, why don't they see it?
  • AuraStorm43
    AuraStorm43
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you invest in golding out gear every patch, you’d be frustrated too that they keep shaking it up

Last patch i golded out some meritorious gear for PVP only for them to add a set that makes purging bad, so i stopped using it