The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ball of Lightning change is bad

TheTruestKing
TheTruestKing
✭✭✭
Sorcerer

Storm Calling

Bolt Escape
Ball of Lightning (morph): The ball of lightning summoned from this ability now only intercepts projectiles from the caster of the ability, rather than any ally in the ball’s vicinity. The ball now only absorbs up to 1 projectile per second, down from 100.

If this goes through the medium armor Stam Sorc will have no survivability. This change will eliminate the hard hitting in and out playstyle. And make brawler Stam Sorcs non existent. I don't see why after so long that this skill needed to be adjusted. I may be bias because I'm a Stam Sorc. I love this class and this kicking out our last leg to stand on.

All that to say this. Please ZoS. Please BW. Please do not let this change go live.
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer

Storm Calling

Bolt Escape
    Ball of Lightning (morph): The ball of lightning summoned from this ability now only intercepts projectiles from the caster of the ability, rather than any ally in the ball’s vicinity. The ball now only absorbs up to 1 projectile per second, down from 100.

If this goes through the medium armor Stam Sorc will have no survivability. This change will eliminate the hard hitting in and out playstyle. And make brawler Stam Sorcs non existent. I don't see why after so long that this skill needed to be adjusted. I may be bias because I'm a Stam Sorc. I love this class and this kicking out our last leg to stand on.

All that to say this. Please ZoS. Please BW. Please do not let this change go live.

Is your concern you can only absorb 1 per second? I want to make sure I understand.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love reading the posts after ZOS balances a class and the crutch gets kicked out from under them, same things with cloak.

im sure it will be tricky to take damage now like everyone else.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    Improvise. Adapt. Overcome! :wink:
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a crutch allowing bad players to stay alive way too long when they shouldn´t have been able to.

Happened way to late sadly.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem with 1 projectile each second is that half of the stuff you fire (light attack + skill) gets through even if you fight 1v1. Against multiple enemies 50% of the attacks get through from the first person but from the second person 100% of the attacks come through.

Maybe a change that reduces the dmg of incoming projectile would be more fair, with the current PTS changes the effect of Ball of Lightning is basically cancelled if you get attacked by more than 1 player.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with 1 projectile each second is that half of the stuff you fire (light attack + skill) gets through even if you fight 1v1. Against multiple enemies 50% of the attacks get through from the first person but from the second person 100% of the attacks come through.

Maybe a change that reduces the dmg of incoming projectile would be more fair, with the current PTS changes the effect of Ball of Lightning is basically cancelled if you get attacked by more than 1 player.

Remember that there is Duel in PvP for this game.
    If more than 1, Ranged Builds can't kill Sorc forever.
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer

Storm Calling

Bolt Escape

This will definately not eliminate the hard hitting in and out playstyle. Can you not gap close, move and hit anymore? Do you not know that you can dodge after a bol? If that skill makes or breaks your build then the problem is you.
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    Look at all the Xv1ers on this post. Someone who actually plays Stam sorc outnumbered can you give me some logic why this is a good change. I think people are happy that Xv1 will be easier. If your not a Stam Sorc or you don't understand the class then you should just take a seat. Ball of Lightning has been this way for YEARS. What now all of a sudden makes it broken. Or perhaps is it not broken and the changes prompt people to think it is. When you're fighting small scale or outnumbered or in BG. Ball of Lightning is that skill that allows you to escape multiple people. While on the surface that sounds soooooooo good but yet look at Stam Sorcs kit. No protection no resources on ulti no cleanse no mending vitality. No nothing. Just dark deal and ball of Lightning. Just for the sake of identity alone BOL shouldn't be changed
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Look at all the Xv1ers on this post. Someone who actually plays Stam sorc outnumbered can you give me some logic why this is a good change. I think people are happy that Xv1 will be easier. If your not a Stam Sorc or you don't understand the class then you should just take a seat. Ball of Lightning has been this way for YEARS. What now all of a sudden makes it broken. Or perhaps is it not broken and the changes prompt people to think it is. When you're fighting small scale or outnumbered or in BG. Ball of Lightning is that skill that allows you to escape multiple people. While on the surface that sounds soooooooo good but yet look at Stam Sorcs kit. No protection no resources on ulti no cleanse no mending vitality. No nothing. Just dark deal and ball of Lightning. Just for the sake of identity alone BOL shouldn't be changed

Ive played stam sorc for years and the change might not be positive but it does not make or break anything the skill will still allow to escape just fine the escape portion of the skill is untouched the mitigation part got nerfed a bit but so what. I would have been more concerned if they touched the snare immunity/removal. Nonetheless nerf still suck but if you have been playing stam sorc for years you know that the nerf to healing is a bigger nerf to stam sorc than the change bol now that is a bigger game changer for them.
    Edited by mikey_reach on July 29, 2021 12:47PM
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is not meant to be a good change for (stam)sorcs. Thats the whole point of the nerf. With wings getting butchered years ago it was only a matter of time until ball of lightning also got the hammer. And what exactly do you think was balanced about an ability that is arguably the best mobility spell in the game to also absorb 100 projectiles a second?
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I am a medium armor Stamsorc, and I don't even use Ball of Lightning, I like the Stun of Streak way more. To evade damage in Streak, you can roledodge while streaking. To be fair though 1 Projectile per second is a bit harsh, it should be maybe 3 or something, because you will usually get spammed with projectiles in open world. Also it is true that Stamsorcs defensive options are already garbage, even Critical Surge is doomed now with Medium armor loosing its 7% Critchance and getting 14% Critdamage instead now...makes that skill absolutely worthless and way inferior to Rally.
    Edited by L_Nici on July 29, 2021 12:58PM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    You guys are bringing up some great points I'll think about these things I'll comment in more detail why I think BoL shouldn't be eradicated from game.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Now do the same thing to the other absorb skills - like dodge one attack per second while dodge rolling.
    Edited by katorga on July 29, 2021 6:06PM
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Now do the same thing to the other absorb skills.

So rather than giving something similar to all classes you'd rather call for nerfs. Do you work for ZoS?
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    God forbid Stam Sorc or any other class have a strong ability. I guess I look at things differently than others. Like everyone wants tether nerfed but I want Crit res on armor buffed. Instead of bringing everyone down to my level I'd rather be buffed. Everyone has an opinion. All I can say is if you mainly play large group and are not a Stam Sorc and do not play it at the highest tier then your opinion is a cloud without water and has no value here. Not to me at least. No one cares how you and your 17 friends couldn't kill the one Stam sorc you were chasing across the map. Can someone give a good reason this should be nerfed. I can't think of one.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    God forbid Stam Sorc or any other class have a strong ability. I guess I look at things differently than others. Like everyone wants tether nerfed but I want Crit res on armor buffed. Instead of bringing everyone down to my level I'd rather be buffed. Everyone has an opinion. All I can say is if you mainly play large group and are not a Stam Sorc and do not play it at the highest tier then your opinion is a cloud without water and has no value here. Not to me at least. No one cares how you and your 17 friends couldn't kill the one Stam sorc you were chasing across the map. Can someone give a good reason this should be nerfed. I can't think of one.

I dont think that you are actually looking for a reason but here I go anyway:
    Best mobility spell in the game is at the same time the best ranged defensive ability in the game. Does that sound balanced?
    Other ranged defensive abilities got nerfed hard, why should this one remain at the level others got nerfed down from?

Personally I´d also prefer if all strong abilities were left intact. Old wings, old cinderstorm, old FoO/sea of flames, old shards, blinding flashes, 3 target breath of life without los requirement, no casttime incap, stun on frags etc. you get the idea. But that ship has sailed long ago and Zos modus operandi is not to buff other classes but instead nerf everything. If wings were buffed to absorb 100 projectiles a second I wouldnt mind ball of lightning being able to do the same but Im sure you notice how overpowered it sounds to let dk wings absorb 100 projectiles per second.
  • ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭

You sound pretty stressed. If you're as good as you think you are this shouldn't be an issue. I've 2vx'd many a time with a stamsorc partner, and guess what? They weren't using Ball lol. Truly a l2p issue here.
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭

You sound pretty stressed. If you're as good as you think you are this shouldn't be an issue. I've 2vx'd many a time with a stamsorc partner, and guess what? They weren't using Ball lol. Truly a l2p issue here.

You're confusing my desire with my ability to play the game they have no correlation. I'll still be Xing. But this change isn't going live without me speaking my peace.

But to address why should all the other skills be nerfed and not BoL. This is easy because BoL is an escape and should be only be compared to shade. Was shade nerfed? As far as I know it's the best defensive ability depending on how you use it. Nb and sorc are the squishiest classes by nature. These escapes were put into the class to allow glass cannon in and out playstyle. The trade off is they don't always guarantee a getaway. These builds are usually used outnumbered 1vx. Hence the need for escape.
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

I dont think that you are actually looking for a reason but here I go anyway:
    Best mobility spell in the game is at the same time the best ranged defensive ability in the game. Does that sound balanced?
    Other ranged defensive abilities got nerfed hard, why should this one remain at the level others got nerfed down from?

Personally I´d also prefer if all strong abilities were left intact. Old wings, old cinderstorm, old FoO/sea of flames, old shards, blinding flashes, 3 target breath of life without los requirement, no casttime incap, stun on frags etc. you get the idea. But that ship has sailed long ago and Zos modus operandi is not to buff other classes but instead nerf everything. If wings were buffed to absorb 100 projectiles a second I wouldnt mind ball of lightning being able to do the same but Im sure you notice how overpowered it sounds to let dk wings absorb 100 projectiles per second.

All those comparisons lol shows how much you know. This man just compared an escape with wings and breath of life. Where are you people coming from?
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

All those comparisons lol shows how much you know. This man just compared an escape with wings and breath of life. Where are you people coming from?

There are no comparisons here tho?
    The abilities I listed are old abilities that I wouldve liked to stay the way they were just like you want ball of ligthing to remain as it is.
    The reason I mentioned wings specifically is that ball of lighting while primarly being an escape ability is a better ranged defense than a skill that does nothing but ranged defense and used to be the best range defense in the game. You apparently dont see a problem in that since you are extremely biased but to anyone else seeing a primarily escape ability being better at ranged defense than an ability that offers nothing but ranged defense should be an imbalance.
    Edited by Sanguinor2 on July 29, 2021 5:32PM
  • ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭

You're confusing my desire with my ability to play the game they have no correlation. I'll still be Xing. But this change isn't going live without me speaking my peace.

But to address why should all the other skills be nerfed and not BoL. This is easy because BoL is an escape and should be only be compared to shade. Was shade nerfed? As far as I know it's the best defensive ability depending on how you use it. Nb and sorc are the squishiest classes by nature. These escapes were put into the class to allow glass cannon in and out playstyle. The trade off is they don't always guarantee a getaway. These builds are usually used outnumbered 1vx. Hence the need for escape.

You let it all out champ. Just don't expect any sympathy from a majority of the community. That's good that's you'll keep xing, as you should it's not gonna make you or break you, the cheese just won't be as tasty anymore. You're also making shade and ball sound like total crutches. You should be kiting more than anything lol. You're definitely one of those sorcs who love to streak spam and dark deal expecting fools to chase you for days. Shame you won't be able to do that anymore as effectively.
    Edited by ClawOfTheTwoMoons on July 29, 2021 5:27PM
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This part is just blatantly false btw. If BoL is nothing but an escape then you shouldnt mind loosing 100 projectile absorbs a second, the escape part is completely untouched. You also might have noticed that shade does not absorb 100 projectiles a second and still is a good escape.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This part is just blatantly false btw. If BoL is nothing but an escape then you shouldnt mind loosing 100 projectile absorbs a second, the escape part is completely untouched. You also might have noticed that shade does not absorb 100 projectiles a second and still is a good escape.

Not that I am saying Bol isn't currently overtuned, but Shade immediately lets you avoid all incoming damage by putting you at a previously chosen location. Bol, without a reliable attack absorbtion just allows the user to be killed by all of the incoming projectiles before they are out of range. At least Streak stuns.

Bol was definitely overnerfed and the spell absoprtion portion of the skill is entirely useless if it goes live like this.
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

Not that I am saying Bol isn't currently overtuned, but Shade immediately lets you avoid all incoming damage by putting you at a previously chosen location. Bol, without a reliable attack absorbtion just allows the user to be killed by all of the incoming projectiles before they are out of range. At least Streak stuns.

Bol was definitely overnerfed and the spell absoprtion portion of the skill is entirely useless if it goes live like this.

Yup you'll get your wig pushed back as soon as you land. But on another note everyone is forgetting is that it's only projectiles. Endless fury and radiant are severe hard counters. Now BoL will be useless. And that's the point why make it useless? Why nerf it at all? That is where I'm at. Why not push to give everyone an escape.
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭

You let it all out champ. Just don't expect any sympathy from a majority of the community. That's good that's you'll keep xing, as you should it's not gonna make you or break you, the cheese just won't be as tasty anymore. You're also making shade and ball sound like total crutches. You should be kiting more than anything lol. You're definitely one of those sorcs who love to streak spam and dark deal expecting fools to chase you for days. Shame you won't be able to do that anymore as effectively.

You're on point with all points except spamming my build can't spam BoL and doesn't need to spam dark deal as I have 2356 Stam recovery w rally. Kiting is king. But yeah I make em chase and make em pay. I foresee a lot of Xs being lost due to unseen unreactable snipes and frags. For every skill that can be absorbed there's 3 that can't be. Radiant sweeps endless fury curse shalks blast bones bow ulti meteor power of light purifying light. Think of all the skills that goes past BoL. It's literally a skill designated for snipe frags spec bow. It's so people can't just free cast on someone fighting outnumbered. It's an oh crap escape. But Ive said everything I can I believe. Ultimately it's up to ZoS I just hope they look at both sides.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yup you'll get your wig pushed back as soon as you land. But on another note everyone is forgetting is that it's only projectiles. Endless fury and radiant are severe hard counters. Now BoL will be useless. And that's the point why make it useless? Why nerf it at all? That is where I'm at. Why not push to give everyone an escape.

Because thats not how Zos works. People have been saying what you just said in different contexts for 6+years. All those abilities I mentioned in a previous comment? All those wouldnt necessarily have to be nerfed if every class had equally powerful tools. But they did not have those and Zos did not give them those and instead nerfed the abilities in question (and in quite a few cases overnerfed them or completely changed their function). Could Zos change? Sure, but I dont see it.

You're on point with all points except spamming my build can't spam BoL and doesn't need to spam dark deal as I have 2356 Stam recovery w rally. Kiting is king. But yeah I make em chase and make em pay. I foresee a lot of Xs being lost due to unseen unreactable snipes and frags. For every skill that can be absorbed there's 3 that can't be. Radiant sweeps endless fury curse shalks blast bones bow ulti meteor power of light purifying light. Think of all the skills that goes past BoL. It's literally a skill designated for snipe frags spec bow. It's so people can't just free cast on someone fighting outnumbered. It's an oh crap escape. But Ive said everything I can I believe. Ultimately it's up to ZoS I just hope they look at both sides.

Everything that you said here and more was said in favor old reflecting wings. You can see how that worked out. And with wings we were talking a cap of 4 projectiles per cast not a cap of 300 projectiles per cast. If you think of that a nerf to ball of lightning was only a matter of time.
    Edited by Sanguinor2 on July 29, 2021 6:38PM
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭

Because thats not how Zos works. People have been saying what you just said in different contexts for 6+years. All those abilities I mentioned in a previous comment? All those wouldnt necessarily have to be nerfed if every class had equally powerful tools. But they did not have those and Zos did not give them those and instead nerfed the abilities in question (and in quite a few cases overnerfed them or completely changed their function). Could Zos change? Sure, but I dont see it.

Everything that you said here and more was said in favor old reflecting wings. You can see how that worked out. And with wings we were talking a cap of 4 projectiles per cast not a cap of 300 projectiles per cast. If you think of that a nerf to ball of lightning was only a matter of time.

Fair point.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should just keep it as is functionally but give the ball health. Maybe even scale its health like a pet?
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    If it must be changed why not something like this.

Transform yourself into pure energy and flash forward. After reaching your location, you become immune to snare in immobilize effects for 2 seconds. A ball of lightning is created at this location as well, which reduces incoming projectile damage by 75% for 3 seconds.
    Casting again within 4 seconds cost 33% more magicka. So your projectiles aren't a complete waste but BoL still holds it's power.