The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What happened to the ESO population in the last week?

• the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's completely anecdotal but I do remember a few years ago when Reddit "Advertise Your Guild" threads would have 50-100 different posts in them.

Over the last year the average is more like 10-15.

For what it's worth.

I don't think that means much. The game didn't have a built in guild finder "a few years ago".
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They've had years to sort Cyrodiil out and consistently failed. In fact they've only managed to make it worse. So either they can't make the game playable for PVP players, or they don't care about PVP players enough to do so. Either way, it shouldn't be surprising that when a better looking game, with better combat, with proper open world PVP, that's actually playable (if you don't have a 3090 :tongue:) comes along, that ESO's PVP community might start packing their things and moving. ZOS have indicated they don't care about them, so why stay?
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The celebration spots are crowded, why would people be in PVP during an event?
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This kind of topics appearing randomly every year/months since release is a tradition.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RazielSR wrote: »
    This kind of topics appearing randomly every year/months since release is a tradition.

It's a rare spawn in place of the more regular auction house topic which serves as its placeholder :wink: !
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    pvp'ers are checking out other games. also its been heavily established, officially and otherwise that Steam numbers are not a reliable metric for the overall health for the game.

My problem with this line of thinking is when anyone complains about numbers being low, everyone points to how well it's doing on Steam.
    Not pointed at you directly, just a case of this forum having it's cake and eating it too.

Steam differences from pandemic to now:
    April 2020---- 28,467.7---- +13,711.7---- +92.92%---- 49,061
    Last 30 Days---- 18,995.8---- -2,287.0---- -10.75%---- 31,391

Since the pandemic, they lost a fair few on steam so I think for many it was really just curiosity and time that they didn't have before hand.

If you look at this website (link below) they seem fairly close on par with Destiny 2, World of Warcraft Classic and Black Desert Online. I don't really look at the 'total player count', because it's just accounts and we want to see the active community mostly.

Link to MMO population statistics:
    https://mmo-population.com/top/2021

Final fantasy seems to be doing pretty good. I think they had a good marketing approach vis a vis their community right? Perhaps someone who has played or plays can give us the down low.

PS: It's summer time, we are free to roam (depending where you live I suppose) and well, you just have to look at the forum subjects to realise that those who have chosen to stay and play over summer have a few ongoing issues which aren't resolved in the game (Cyro Lag, Server stability, Event quality, DLC quality, unbalanced metas and the crownstore related posts)...so there are a fair few things to address I believe.

Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on July 28, 2021 3:13PM
  • aaisoaho
    aaisoaho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    RazielSR wrote: »

It's a rare spawn in place of the more regular auction house topic which serves as its placeholder :wink: !

I think it goes like this:

Common encounter: Auction House
    Uncommon encounter: PVE Cyrodiil
    Rare: ESO is dying
    Ultra-rare: ESO needs capes
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    why would people be in PVP during an event?
    Because not pvping is a waste of time and really dull
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eevee_42 wrote: »
    I’ve noticed that Cyrodiil and IC are absolute ghost towns. Even with the current event going on, the Steam numbers are showing less players. Hardly anybody is online on my friends list or in guilds and battlegrounds seem dead. Have the past two years of lackluster chapters started affecting the player population?

I haven't been in Cyrodiil or IC for at least 3 years, there's enough fun to be had in PvE areas, so, y'know... *shrug*
    Edited by robwolf666 on July 28, 2021 3:22PM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twitch Viewership right now

New World - 84.8k viewers
    World of Warcraft - 37k viewers
    ESO - 6.5k viewers (1k less than Old School Runescape lmao)

Make pvp more exciting and less laggy. Let's get those numbers up. The game was popping when the likes of Sypher and Fengrush were streaming pvp. You know, before you turned the game into unicorns, rainbows and housing simulator.
  • Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game needs some fundamental additions, which will be not so much grindy as deep. There are many threads last days with some decent suggestions, but it seems at least this year is already ruined.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Make pvp more exciting and less laggy. Let's get those numbers up. The game was popping when the likes of Sypher and Fengrush were streaming pvp. You know, before you turned the game into unicorns, rainbows and housing simulator.

There's nothing about the mainstream appeal of this game that lends itself to streaming/Twitch. I hope they don't do anything to boost that (beyond improving performance) as they will only end up ruining the rest of the game. All the WoW numbers have in effect "an extra nought" on them and always have done, while New World is the latest shiny new thing and is aimed solely at the PvP market with the odd late concession to PvE groupers, so it's classic streaming/Twitch material for now, at the height of its pre-launch hype, and how long that lasts will be interesting to see.
    Edited by Tandor on July 28, 2021 4:21PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was wondering why last night the Gray Host queue was basically almost instant. If I had to guess it was indeed the exodus to try out that new MMO's beta test. I personally am not interested in it but if it has engaging combat without horrendous lag I can see the appeal and why the PvP population dropped off.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait...wait.

Cyrodil has a population?

:#
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's nothing about the mainstream appeal of this game that lends itself to streaming/Twitch. I hope they don't do anything to boost that (beyond improving performance) as they will only end up ruining the rest of the game. All the WoW numbers have in effect "an extra nought" on them and always have done, while New World is the latest shiny new thing and is aimed solely at the PvP market with the odd late concession to PvE groupers, so it's classic streaming/Twitch material for now, at the height of its pre-launch hype, and how long that lasts will be interesting to see.

Yeah, it's so surprising that a PvP game is attracting attention, hype, and views in the MMO space...maybe if ZOS actually focused a bit on PvP, ESO could do similarly well.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »

Yeah, it's so surprising that a PvP game is attracting attention, hype, and views in the MMO space...maybe if ZOS actually focused a bit on PvP, ESO could do similarly well.

ESO's doing fine after 7 years, let's see how well NW is doing after 7 months.

I don't doubt for a moment that ESO's PvP needs some improvements, not least in performance, but from what I've read about it including on their official forums I do doubt that New World is the solution for frustrated ESO PvPers. Any new MMO title attracts attention, hype and views before it launches, the question is whether over a significant period of time it also attracts and retains paying customers.
    Edited by Tandor on July 28, 2021 7:19PM
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭

PvP is not what ESO is about. And it is what New World is about. So if pvp'ers find more enjoyment in a game that caters to their needs then great. but expecting every game to cater to the needs of pvp'ers is just not realistic. and clearly ESO has shifted it's focus away from PvP, and that's okay. clearly their data is telling them that pvp is not what is keeping this game going.

And if STO is still going strong, ESO is not in danger at all if the majority of the playerbase now is pve'ers and casuals. PvP'ers need to realize that they do not make or break games most of the time. unless that game is literally about PvP.
    Edited by JJOtterBear on July 28, 2021 7:20PM
  • Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if ESO was ever popping (in the sense that the twitch viewership was truly high) besides those few times were big streamers (like Shroud, Asmongold, Summit, etc.) were trying out the game.

If you consider the amount of ESO streamers that have their streams embedded in guide/wiki websites, the actual numbers of twitch viewership for ESO are much lower (and has always been like that). (Embedded viewers, people who have those websites open just to check the guides or other contents, still add up to the viewership count on twitch).

In any case, I think that list you assembled will probably stay like that for the near future (if NW manages to keep people interested after the first few months).

• Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people are doing the Elsweyr event activities.
  • Eevee_42
    Eevee_42
    ✭✭✭✭

PvP is not what ESO is about. And it is what New World is about. So if pvp'ers find more enjoyment in a game that caters to their needs then great. but expecting every game to cater to the needs of pvp'ers is just not realistic. and clearly ESO has shifted it's focus away from PvP, and that's okay. clearly their data is telling them that pvp is not what is keeping this game going.

And if STO is still going strong, ESO is not in danger at all if the majority of the playerbase now is pve'ers and casuals. PvP'ers need to realize that they do not make or break games most of the time. unless that game is literally about PvP.

I don’t think any pvp players are asking to have the entire game catered towards them. Is it unreasonable to wish for things like less lag, better support for BGs, and not feeling like your concerns are being totally ignored? It is not as black and white as you’re making it out to be. A game does not need to be only pve/casual or pvp focused. A lot of people enjoy all aspects of the game, pve and pvp included. A lot of casual players have an entitled attitude like ESO is THEIR game, and if you care about things like endgame pvp and pve then go play something else. They like to downplay the pvp playerbase and act like it doesn’t exist just because it’s something they aren’t interested in.

Sure, lots of pvp players are leaving, but not because they don’t enjoy the pvp. It’s the complete and utter lack of attention from ZOS that pushes them away.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PvP is what ESO was largely about at launch, and it still has a large population of PvP players. Yes, it has shifted away from that focus, but the game also hasn't really grown much in terms of regular active players over the past few years. PvP is consistently extremely popular in general with games, and there's only so much that baiting Skyrim players will do to grow the game. It definitely seems like we're reaching the saturation point with that casual TES playerbase, and a lot of endgame players are starting to get burnt out from the lack of PvP focus and general lack of innovation with the rest of the game. Endgame PvE is in a pretty similar spot tbh.

At a certain point you have to question if their decision making is due to "their data" or if certain devs just have extreme bias towards what gets added or worked on.

Don't get me wrong, having casual content is great and perfectly fine. The problem is when ZOS also ignores a huge selection of the potential playerbase, which is obviously desperate for new PvP content, hence why a lot of pple are leaving to play a half-baked running simulator.
  • Lord_Sando
    Lord_Sando
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sick of the lag. The game is literally only playable during certain times of the day. Plus what's the point the game has had the skill ceiling nailed to floor boards.

Did I mention the game doesn't work in pvp. Does zos even know the routine for 80% of pvp players is to port into pvp and see if you can cast skills. They do this just to see if the game is bearable that day.

Until you step away and play something else, you dont realize how many unacceptable things roses tinted glasses make acceptable.

• Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    The celebration spots are crowded, why would people be in PVP during an event?

Why would people do an event if they could also PvP instead?
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ESO used to be mainly about PvP, so I think its quite fair for PvPers to expect that ZOS at least does something to make PvP better.

No one expects ZOS to ignore everything else and just care about PvP, because PvP obviously isnt the main point of the game anymore and ZOS still needs to make money.
    The problem is that ZOS pretty much seems to ignore the PvP playerbase and leave them with a barely working product despite them still being paying customers as well.

I doubt you would like it if you wouldnt have a playable performance and barely any new content in PvE and then having other players tell you that you are asking for too much when you just want a playable game...
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FFXIV is gaining a lot of traction recently with a lot of streaming exposure, especially bringing their expansive free trial model to people's awareness. There's the New World beta going on and release of new MMO Sword of Legends Online which MMO friends keep bringing to my attention.

I guess it's currently a period where the MMO genre has more offerings for gamers to try out.
    Edited by oddbasket on July 29, 2021 12:45AM
  • Herr_Flocke
    Herr_Flocke
    ✭✭✭
    Some who left for New World may not come back for a while... because their gpu got fried. It's not just RTX 3090 there are reports from AMD as well.

... so New World implemented a third playmode. In addition to PVE and PVP you also get GVG (Game vs GPU) with a brand (sic) new, meaningful death feature now :)
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of people are playing New World. For those of us who still haven’t gotten a #%@! beta key despite pre-ordering over a year ago and are stuck in Tamriel, eso pvp is not in a good place.

Despite low pop, cyrodiil is as laggy as ever. And the only fights outside of prime time are against speed builds zooming around resource towers, or small groups of unkillable builds trying to farm pugs. There’s absolutely nothing fun about the pvp meta or community right now.
    Edited by Reverb on July 29, 2021 3:59AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    more than a year ago I suggested to scale the difficulty of worldbosses with the amount of players around, to compensate the exodus on xbox EU.
    Many left because of lag that was massive after release of elsweyr, so less left to farm bosses, so even the last left tired of soloing them.

This did not happen, in contrast companion quests now spread out the people even further. While this brings back some life to old zones, it increases the problem, that you find no more co-players to farm bosses in typical regions like summerset or northern elsweyr.

As a result, now even on the far more populated NA server you can be forced to solo such bosses (the event right now is a welcomed exception of course).

In Blackwood, farming worldbosses is even more discouraging, they are stronger than others, and the daily rewards have no guarantee to drop Ivory Brigade Clasp. So this region quickly gets as deserted as it happened with Murkmire, where difficulty and no guarantee for hackwing plumage kept players away from the bosses there.

Just some examples, why people get tired and take out-times, as I do it myself more and more often (just login for endeavours, then switch to other things).

The game is too big. There are so many big zones that they dilute the density. Only events can bring them all together. No more dlc's are needed right now. The game needs fixing and focus should be on that. There are more than 40 dungeons, several trials, dozens of zones etc. The only thing missing is pvp being fixed. That would bring people back to the game and increase the popularity again through streaming. Microsoft has some work to do and quickly at that.
  • Sorbin
    Sorbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I left for the New World beta. And there's currently absolutely zero chance I come back to ESO without massive, massive work being done on PvP. I don't see that ever happening. New World isn't perfect by any means but ESO has lowered the bar to a profound level in terms of what is acceptable for competition from a MMO, particularly in PvP. And it helps that New World actually has a really solid foundation with a lot of great qualities; seeing the devs fix bugs and maintain server stability as quickly as they have has been a breath of fresh air.

So yeah, that's where I'm at as someone who's played ESO since PC launch, played on Xbox, come back to PC, maintained a sub for literally years and spent hundreds of dollars on the game: it's been a good run, but I'm well and truly done this time, only keeping my stuff on my characters on the very vague chance that things turn around. But considering the trend, as well as the fact that I know entire guilds also jumping ship to New World, I very much doubt that will come to pass.
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As many have said, the performance issues are hurting ESO. The problem is particularly acute during primetime in Cyrodiil. The availability of other options (New World Beta, FF14) seems to be drawing attention away from ESO, at least temporarily.

There are some unfair comments in this thread. To say that the Devs are not trying to address PVP problems is not correct. Look at the upcoming patch and all the pvp centered changes and sets. I don't really agree with fixing problems like ball groups via sets, but at least they are trying. Fengrush had an epic multi-hour video on the patch notes where he went over this in detail that is worth a watch.

The Devs are also innovating on content via new systems and new mechanics in dungeons. The last few DLC dungeons have had tons of new design elements: secret bosses, new mechanics, useful sets, etc. Vateshran Hollows was excellent as a solo arena. Companions, antiquities - there's been lots of new stuff added to the game on the PVE and non-combat sides of the game.

As for the lag, I just don't think it can be fixed. It's been a problem as long as I've been playing (console launch). The issues are as bad as ever, despite multiple rounds of performance updates and attempted fixeds. If it hasn't been addressed at this point, it is hard to imagine it every being fixed. I will say that performance was much better on Xbox during the days of no cross group healing and no proc sets, but there were still problems. Things are much worse now. I rarely pvp during the evening anymore and I used to be there every night of the week.

I am worried about the continued health of the game. I do love it here, despite the many problems and bugs.