The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PVP unplayable

• zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game ok
    Call me old fashioned, but to me un-playable means that you are literally not able to play
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Game ok
    Lag or not.

I
    Always
    Die
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Game unplayable
    Amottica wrote: »
    There is a lot between unplayable and the game is ok. I find it very playable but far from OK.

There should be a middle option here. Cryodiil is playable, but at certain times, like prime time hours, it's annoying enough that I don't want to be bother to try and play PvP.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    Call me old fashioned, but to me un-playable means that you are literally not able to play
    I think it's a given that 'unplayable' in this case is mostly hyperbole. However, there are times that the game DOES in fact become unplayable for many people. Primetime Cyrodiil being one of the best examples. BGs being another. People get kicked and cannot return to the game. The game locks and freezes to the point where dozens are running around and doing nothing for minutes at a time. Sometimes they can't even run around. Or skills appear to be working but you find that numbers aren't showing up for anyone, indicating that skills aren't being processed server side.

These aren't infrequent things that happen to a small group of people. They happen on the regular, often at predictable times for many people at the same time. Often for minutes or even hours at a time. I'd say that falls well into the realm of 'actually unplayable'.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    Sluggy wrote: »
    Fischblut wrote: »
    I watch build videos on Youtube and their showcases in action - and for some reason all those showcases have good performance... So I gear up my characters within the build idea, go to Cyrodiil and:

- my ultimate often doesn't go off even when I stand next to enemy player
    - my abilities often have cast time even if they should be instant
    - I can't land some of abilities on enemy who is moving even if I move next to them
    - if I take damage and dodge roll, I can't activate any ability (even my self-target heal). But enemies have no problems in continuing to deal damage to me all this time, so I have to dodge again - and I end up dead anyway, cause I can't cast any ability.

Sometimes I can land attacks of course, and sometimes I can kill enemy. But it's not smooth at all. I really don't understand how build creators manage to showcase their gameplay without any lag :/ Nothing sucks more than when you want to try new build and practise it, but lag always stops you.

There seems no point in this, cause I can simply wear whatever gear and use whatever skills - I die in lag anyway, sooner or later :(

The secret is that you need to have a good solid stable and fast connection. Most people have high bandwidth connections (myself included). But bandwidth isn't what's important here. Stability, reliability, and speed are. Without that and all other things being equal you will always be at a disadvantage against anyone that does have them. You'll have to adjust your builds and playstyle to compensate for this. The most common approach is to tank up and play in coordinated groups.

On top of that there is always the issue of the servers themselves. Often they just get bogged down and nothing works for anyone. I can assure you nobody is making content videos or showcasing gameplay at times like these unless they are trying to show just how bad it can get at times in some sort of rant video.

I have had people with amazing internet connections and some with worst...we all lag the same with very little difference in ping...perhaps a difference of 30-40 ping here and there...we need to stop blaming ourselves or listening to excuses...honestly..enough...the game can't handle multiple people in the same place at the same time...period.

If the game were a house or a flat we purchased and we found out that the heating system didn't work in the house we'd call it a 'Hidden Defect' and we'd pursue some sort of action because our money was wasted on something that didn't work...PvP is a hidden defect in this game that they don't even hide any more..they just ignore it.
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on July 4, 2021 5:45PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure how to vote. I can play, even in Cyrodiil, but especially in Cyrodiil, the game takes a sharp turn into the dumpster and nothing works. The rest of the time it's playable to varying degrees. It seems worse lately and not just in Cyrodiil but everywhere.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable

Depends what you mean by unplayable. I can log on, enter cyrodiil...... occasionally I can break free the first time I try, sometimes the fourth time pressing a skill works, sometimes I can target guards successfully. This is technically playing but to me it's broken and unplayable. At other times it's slightly better.......a few years ago it was not nearly as bad and I thought that was unplayable.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game ok
    I noticed the game plays waaaay better since I got PS5.
  • Malpheus_Prime
    Malpheus_Prime
    ✭✭✭
    Game ok
    After I upgraded my rig and started paying close attention to my connection (anything under 150mbps will cause issues for me), when i'm experiencing issues, i run speedtest and usually see I have less than the 1200 mbps paid for... modem restart...

It pisses my family off that I don't tolerated 75mbps, but ESO has no problems when I'm hitting great internet performance.
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    I have an Xbox series X and amazingly fast and stable internet yet I’m finding Cyrodiil unplayable in prime time. I just quit for the night after an hour+ of skills not casting. Twice tonight I managed to fire my high damage ultimate on a low health player, who according to my animations stood there and did nothing, but the ulti appeared to do zero damage. 125k tool tip on a player in execute with <5k health and no damage registered. That to me is unplayable. It’s 2021 and we should have higher expectations for games than this.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    Youyouz06 wrote: »
    I have had people with amazing internet connections and some with worst...we all lag the same with very little difference in ping...perhaps a difference of 30-40 ping here and there...we need to stop blaming ourselves or listening to excuses...honestly..enough...the game can't handle multiple people in the same place at the same time...period.

If the game were a house or a flat we purchased and we found out that the heating system didn't work in the house we'd call it a 'Hidden Defect' and we'd pursue some sort of action because our money was wasted on something that didn't work...PvP is a hidden defect in this game that they don't even hide any more..they just ignore it.

I don't think you read all of my post there. I didn't say the servers aren't absolutely terrible most of the time. Just saying that in the rare cases when they aren't it'll be up to the individual internet connection. Someone playing with a ping of 40 and no packet loss is going to have an advantage over someone with a ping of 200 and some jitter. In most cases an insurmountable advantage.

But I do agree. When things get bad they get bad for everyone everywhere and at that point it's just a game of cards where you toss the whole pile onto the table and see what appears. That's the point where I deem the game unplayable. Sadly, that point seems to be basically every night now. The worst times to play are when people are playing.

Edited by Sluggy on July 5, 2021 3:36AM
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even seige doesn’t alway work either

Flaming oil is busy :joy:
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable

So do I, but on Ravenwatch after 11am I literally have to log out because I refuse to put up with the performance, or lack thereof. I've tried going to no cp campaigns but they are mostly boring. It's usually just 1 or 2 people going around the map capturing resources.
    IC has the most potential right now, but you're generally just zerged down. I feel like there's no where to go to have an enjoyable experience.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game ok
    Battlegrounds join us

memecandy-Yq7n1sakPfO1d0O9Wn
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on July 5, 2021 3:58AM
  • Slow_And_Steady2
    Game unplayable
    The huge difference between PvE and PvP is that in PvE you are fighting system monsters and they are pretty much slow moving and have both visible and audio ques for the mechanics. You have a set group. Tanks, DPS and Healers and everyone should know where to locate themselves during the battles. In these battles even if your teammate is a few seconds behind it does not make a big difference.

In PvP you have hundreds if not thousands of players from across the globe all in different time zones battling each other on two servers. Everyone is moving erratically and most of the time as quickly as possible. I am sorry but data can only travel so fast so you are most likely seeing where the enemy player was and not where they actually are in the game. This is one reason your abilities are not activating when you hit the fire button. They are no longer there. I personally live in Nevada and play on the PS NA server and I have to assume the server is no where near my location. I seem to lag behind almost everyone in Cryodiil.

If you are lucky enough to have a nice reliable internet provider and live close to the server location then you have a big advantage in PvP. Less lag and a clearer picture of the actually battlefield.

If ESO wants to fix this problem they will need to have more localized satellite servers and players will have to be limited to the server servicing their area.
    Edited by Slow_And_Steady2 on July 5, 2021 6:26AM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    Unplayable means = why do we pay each month?

*knocks on window at zos* 'We are still here, guys!'
  • esogamer2021
    esogamer2021
    ✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    The last 5 days BEEN horrendous with the new proc sets in cyrodiil! The lag is the worst I’ve seen it in 4 years I’ve had to go off and leave the game , the server’s clearly can’t handle all the AOE and procs that go off at the same times with zergs running the same sets all at the same time , I really don’t know what @zenimax is doing with this game ! They have said they will update the sever hardware before the end of 202 but I can’t see that making any difference to the actual server performance with regards to bad game lag
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need a playable but needs work option.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    The lag is ridiculous.
    Tonight I froze every time I tried attacking... even npcs.
    I'd use Stampede then be mashing buttons to continue the attack but my char is just standing there doing nothing (I don't mean I've been stunned or immobilsed)...
    Then another player comes along and kills me.
    And this happened every single time so I just whipped out the resto staff and healed as thats literally all I could do.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Game ok
    Are there router settings that will help me with lag?

I connect directly to my router, now wireless...

Anything else I could try?

Tanks,

Z
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    The game unfortunately has gotten very unplayable in Cyrodiil, a lot of pvp guilds are disbanding in response. There's no new content and the bugs aren't getting fixed and there's no indication that they ever will or that they're even being worked on.

Read the list of ongoing pvp bugs and ask yourself is that playable? https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/586786/ongoing-pvp-bug-list#latest
    Edited by SimonThesis on September 20, 2021 12:28AM
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game ok
    I am on Xbox NA and just bought the series S. PVP is amazing now for me and I rarely lag. I do DC maybe once during large fights but am able to log back into Cyrodiil right away.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Game ok
    I've never played a battleground where my skills lagged.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on September 20, 2021 3:03AM
    PC NA
  • Modzcs
    Modzcs
    ✭✭
    Game unplayable
    unplayable during prime time
  • Sarousse42
    Sarousse42
    ✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    Not a single word about Cyrodiil performance during the last streaming. :(
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game ok
    Well, dunno why but I get more bug in PvE than in PvP x)
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    Getting told that I'm "out of range" for my Dragon Leap while breathing down my opponent's neck is a real pain.
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    On XBOX EU it's fine with small groups but is that fun for me? Not so much. I like epic zergs battles and during those is a disgrace. Lag is often tolerable, but I crash badly and often at the best part, sigh. Yesterday I've crashed "only" 3 times in a three hours session in Cyrodiil but I also had to restart because in the middle of one of the aforementioned zergs battles my character stopped functioning (couldn't cast skills anymore). So sad.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a binary choice for a complex situation. Simple answer - it's a mixed bag. More complex answer - the game is perfectly playable the majority of the day but suffers from progressively greater lag as you get futher into prime time and, if large numbers of players concentrate in one place or a ball group shows up, it can slow to the point that it's not really playable and / or disconnect you from the server. You can attempt to mitigate that by switching abilities but eventually nothing will work... Simple solution, try to log in earlier, play more on the shoulder and leave when the ball groups show up. If you have to play prime forget skills that have a delay like d-swing or focused aim, the positional desync renders them useless, I find only insta cast stuff works and if it get really bad, yep, proc sets....

Edited by Larcomar on September 20, 2021 10:30AM
  • Valgar0r
    Valgar0r
    ✭✭✭
    Game unplayable
    Unplayable is a bit too much but pvping at cyrodiil is not ok at all. To justify my vote, i just remembered the last time i used the psijic ultimate skill, i got trapped into a time loop, couldn't move and then got kicked from server with error 318 :D
    • EU | PC // (CP 2400+)
    • NA | PC // (CP 2100+)
    • EP - Valgarôr - AR50 - Sorc
    • EP - Dreadrâ - AR41 - NB
    • EP - Jah'Far - Bard - DK
    • >!< - Ôops - Lady of Misrule - NB
    • ~SatGNU~
    • ~Necrotic Lagg~