Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Bastian or Mirri - who is your favorite?

• LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    I only have Bastian atm but I'm not a fan of Dark Elves.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Bastian's personality is a little too upbeat and honorable, plus I stampede which mistargets and kills critters a lot, which he doesn't like. Mirri's just more my style personality wise.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to admit I am tired of bastion already.

Gee golly whiz I'm a ferris bueller wannabe.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian is a much better tank than I expected, even at low level w/o good gear. Mirri doesn’t add much value as a DD.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    The result of the survey seems to be clear. In the world, too, one actually has the feeling of seeing Mirri more often.
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Bastian lost me the moment he went "Who built this place? It doesn't look dwarven." in his quest. In a place using similar architecture to Leyawiin. Diamond motifs on every door. In Blackwood.

And his face and voice isn't helping, tragically.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourania wrote: »
    RedMuse wrote: »
    Picked up Mirri last night and I'm already in love. I guess I'll pick up poor Bastian eventually though he doesn't seem very interesting to me for some reason.

But why do I get the feeling she was supposed to be Breton too, but they only changed her late so as not to have two Breton companions in the first go yet didn't worked it all the way through.

Actually, Bastian is an Imperial not a Breton, though I did think he was a Breton at first also

Understandable - because he's from Daggerfall, his (biological) family is from Daggerfall and was amongst the more influential families of Daggerfall, and one of his qoutes is "That's how we do it IN DAGGERFALL!!"

It'd be nice to trust that its a deliberate thing, but the developers have let us down with glaring lore details before (here's looking at you Greymoor Keep/Unrelated Fort Greymoor). It feels like it was some dumb last-minute marketing decision at a point where it was far too late to change his VA lines.

I haven't achieved his personal quests yet, though. Hopefully those throw some light on it, and I'm just wrong.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on June 8, 2021 7:36AM
  • Curryganz
    Curryganz
    ✭✭✭
    she's a Dunmer, I'm elf-centered. Poor Bastian dont stand a chance
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian is more complex than you think. He is crazy or just pretend somenone else:
    1. He pretend to be an Imperial (he even forged his racial passives), but his behaviour and history is 100% Bretonish
    2. He pretend to be a good boy, paladin type but tattoos shows some dark past
    3. His history about father and king Emeric can't be right with dates, so he is lying or just crazy.

What else he is hiding?
    "Who built this place? It doesn't look dwarven." in his quest. In a place using similar architecture to Leyawiin. Diamond motifs on every door. In Blackwood.
    Yeah, it looks more and more like pure madness.

I just love this guy, he is pure gold. Mirri "bugs me" with all these bug issues :D
    Edited by Luke_Flamesword on June 8, 2021 7:52AM
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    I'm into guys, and so are all my female characters. :wink: My only token male character will probably have Mirri to run around with him though.
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find them both to be very well developed and I am much happier with them at my side than not, but neither of their personalities are quite what I would want for a companion. I would much prefer to be amused or flirted with, so someone more charismatic. Alternatively, a ruthless, clever and cynical criminal that picks up rapport increases for murder and thieving.
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    The title says it all, who is your favorite so far, Bastian or Mirri and why?

I like the twink.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian is more complex than you think. He is crazy or just pretend somenone else:
    1. He pretend to be an Imperial (he even forged his racial passives), but his behaviour and history is 100% Bretonish
    2. He pretend to be a good boy, paladin type but tattoos shows some dark past
    3. His history about father and king Emeric can't be right with dates, so he is lying or just crazy.

What else he is hiding?
    "Who built this place? It doesn't look dwarven." in his quest. In a place using similar architecture to Leyawiin. Diamond motifs on every door. In Blackwood.
    Yeah, it looks more and more like pure madness.

I just love this guy, he is pure gold. Mirri "bugs me" with all these bug issues :D
    You make a very good point. What is he hiding? Maybe the devs will enlighten us one day.

• M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    CoronHR wrote: »
    Bastion heals me. Mirri dies a lot. Bastion has awesome tattoos. Mirri dies a lot. Bastion seems sweet and tender. Mirri...just die already

The only time Mirri died on me was when we were doing laps around a public dungeon... and only once with five bosses, I'm happy with how she's working but, as with all things, it could always be better.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Iman_Oldie
    Iman_Oldie
    ✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    ..... Or they could make rapport accountwide.

It wouldn't be practical.
    EG. I have a Vampire that kills innocents. I have others characters that don't.
    Some steal, others don't and so on .....
    PS4 N/A
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    I've joined Team Mirri because of her sense of humor and generally fun personality.

Also, upon closer consideration I don't care about any of Bastian's skills that I initially looked forward to using.
  • Soldier224
    Soldier224
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Mirri = Dunmer, similar to Naryu, Woman, good german voice

Mirri 4 | 0 Bastian
    Man muss realistisch sein - Neunfinger Logan (First Law Trilogy)
    RP Guide: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/431297/rp-guide-aus-persoenlicher-sicht-was-ist-rp
    Für alle Einbrecher Tamriels oder die die es werden wollen:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/313750/diebestouren-guide-effektiver-diebstahl-in-teso (veraltet)
    Überblick über die Häuser der Dunmer (Enthält Interpretationen/Für Diskussionen offen):
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/481389/die-haeuser-der-dunmer-in-der-zeit-von-eso-haus-hlaalu-redoran-telvanni

• Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RedMuse wrote: »
    Picked up Mirri last night and I'm already in love. I guess I'll pick up poor Bastian eventually though he doesn't seem very interesting to me for some reason.

But why do I get the feeling she was supposed to be Breton too, but they only changed her late so as not to have two Breton companions in the first go yet didn't worked it all the way through.

Why does my Bastain have a racial for Imperial?
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Zhaedri
    Zhaedri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Mirri doesn't get upset when I steal stuff.
    @Zhaedri PC NA

• Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Soldier224 wrote: »

Regarding the german voices, I prefer Bastian, but Mirri has also a pleasant voice.

• vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian, Mirri hates if you loot insects for god sakes lol
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    vallisas wrote: »
    Bastian, Mirri hates if you loot insects for god sakes lol

Also heard she hates visiting harbors(or towns with harbors), haven't testet it out myself so I can not confirm.
    Edited by Aztrias on June 8, 2021 11:44AM
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian. I didn't expect that will like him so much.
    As "utility" he is better then Mirri. I love his voice and he is surprisly romantic guy. And those tattoo with his personality makes him even more attractive. I find Mirri is more bro-like friend with flat personality so far, but I use her very rare.
    The only concern is stealing but they are both designed to have annoying aspects
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Not sure on that. but yeah a companion not liking looting is a bit much for me.

Stealing? can be handled, simply dismiss Bastian when you plan to do so. But looting happens so often i'm not going to be dismissing Mirri every 5 seconds just to avoid that lol.

I've accidently killed non-hostile animals before, Bastian may say something about it, but his rapport doesn't drop over it. Overall i've had no issue keeping his rapport up, unless you're massacring towns in his presence, it shouldn't be tough. There have been WAY more unreasonable companions.
    Bastian is a much better tank than I expected, even at low level w/o good gear. Mirri doesn’t add much value as a DD.

He also is amazing at crowd control, sustaining himself and AoE, my mirri just dies a lot lol
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the choice for neither or don't know yet?

I am currently using Mirri, but at the rate she is leveling It will be quite the while before I get to Bastion. She seems a descent companion, save for the literal bugs (I actually click on by mistake), but I am not looking forward to the starting journey with Bastion. Once I had Mirri decked out she actually helped a bit, but in the beginning she had the durability of tissue paper.
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian of course, he's a proper wholesome adventurer. Honourable 'good' characters aren't boring. Though he should stop taunting the playerbase with his still unavailable hair. I like Mirri too, much more than I expected actually, as I assumed she'd be yet another sassy assassin.

Bastian is definitely a Breton, or more precisely I think he's a halfbreed (though culturally he seems to be 100% Breton).
    Right when you meet him, when talking to him he mentions that his father was Lord Martell of House Hallix, a noble house sworn to the King of Daggerfall. After a plot that saw his family strpped of their titles and holdings, he was too young to be guilty by association, and subsequently fostered at House Silvelle, where he was raised alongside the Lord's son. Not an Imperial reference in sight.

His Imperial skill line could be an error, but I think it's more likely that his mother (who isn't mentioned) is an Imperial. Halfbreeds in TES take the majority of characteristics / innate abilities from the mother's side, so if the above theory is true it kinda makes perfect that his racials are Imperial. Still it's kinda odd, as they could just as well made him a full Breton, there's nothing Imperial in his history at all, and appearance wise they're hard to tell apart anyways.

• vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    The result of the survey seems to be clear. In the world, too, one actually has the feeling of seeing Mirri more often.

I had the opposite experience, I mostly saw Bastians. But honestly, what do you expect? Have you seen the companion mods for Skyrim, mostly all half naked females, not even voiced ones at that, just mostly wearing revealing clothing.There are even mods to remove all males from the game for both Skyrim and Fallout 4. I've seen the same of people roaming around with Mirri, she's mostly unclothed everytime I see her.

The female character will always get more love in a game with a dominantly hetero male playerbase. There's a reason everytime an RPG comes around the human male characters always get the most flack, usually for the dumbest or pettiest of reasons. Guys just want to roam around with females who oogle them. The same happened with Swtor. Unfortunately, in Swtor this caused the death of many human male companions due to the constant moaning from the male playerbase about them. There were even players who disliked Theron Shan for being a bisexual romance option lol. Eventually it got him to get a kill option, the main Republic side character, and a Shan at that.

Now in Swtor. The female and lgbtq male playerbase is stuck with a very small amount of decent romanceable males because the male playerbase got nearly all of them murdered, while the Hetero males have the select choice, and the most unkillable options.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    After awhile now using Mirri and just unlocked Bastian today I can safely say that choice was made right. She fits almost any activity you can do, merc like personality and curiosity for daedric stuff is handy but Bastian, my dude, might need to man up a bit. Also this holy knight thingy not really fits elder scrolls not even mentioning half the game quests would seriously question why he'd even tag along for those. Rp wise I can have dunmeri all the time, imperial kind of a guy for some exact situations where it's appropriate for such a character to be.

Anyway both seem too rushed for the release.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like Mirri more but tank Bastian works pretty well for my magic using characters.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Tharonil
    Tharonil
    ✭✭✭
    Soldier224 wrote: »

Mirri 4 | 0 Bastian

Can only agree! The german voice actress is so loveable!
    I could hear/see her only in streams because I play on console. But today, when I'm home I can finally play Blackwood by myself :smile: