Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Bastian or Mirri - who is your favorite?

Lugaldu
Lugaldu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
The title says it all, who is your favorite so far, Bastian or Mirri and why?

Bastian or Mirri - who is your favorite? 215 votes

Bastian
33%
dcam86b14_ESOkypranb14_ESONeriakanitajoneb17_ESOmagus.septimGaebriel0410PsychopoteElvenheartKarminathevampcoonie20WolfenbelleInaMoonlightAbigailathekaCendrillion21TwylaaBalticBluesKuratiusReverbCaptainVenom 71 votes
Mirri
66%
SirAndySeadlegradius_ESOchuck-18_ESOKikazaruvailjohn_ESOk9mouseaipex8_ESOPinesyJarndyceCipherNineChivanaSoldier224MaerdiathWodwoRudalSantieClawsnenekotanb16_ESOBunnehKhenarthi 144 votes
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Bastion's speech and character frequently conflict with game mechanics. His attitude to killing innocents, which he does without mercy or prompting, is the prime example.

Mirri has freckles.

No competition really.
    PC EU
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Picked up Mirri last night and I'm already in love. I guess I'll pick up poor Bastian eventually though he doesn't seem very interesting to me for some reason.

But why do I get the feeling she was supposed to be Breton too, but they only changed her late so as not to have two Breton companions in the first go yet didn't worked it all the way through.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    She's a dark elf, easy for me.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm planning a 50/50 split amongst my 18 characters. Half will use Bastian, while the other half will use Mirri. This is also why I unlocked both on all my characters already.
    For now I have leveled Bastian to level 12, and Mirri to level 7. Going to work on Mirri to 12, and then Bastian to 20. Then Mirri to 20.

Not going to bother with rapport much, as it is so slow, it might as well not even exist. This is also why many think it is broken. ZOS should add a number with the friendship-bar, so we can actually see it going up. Or they could make rapport accountwide.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    I just wanted my companion to be a tank so I will choose him but I hope for more companions in the future.
    I would really like a khajiit or high elf companion.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    I still dream about drunk alfiq companion though.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bastian
    Just two DK bros DK'ing around.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short term, Mirri. Long term, Bastian.

Mirri is straight damage and that Ultimate is really awesome for extra damage on demand.

Bastian's best buffs in Radiating Heart, Basalt Barrier and Searing Weapons, require extra work to be effective with gear that provides reduced cooldown and increased buff duration.
  • Rykoth
    Rykoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neither. I like the system a lot as an extra thing to focus on, but I think we need harder overland content to make it worthwhile... and more variety. Too many Mirris and Bastians running around right now.
    Gorthal gro-Gunthak, Chieftain of Mor'Grumaar
    Sigrun Elkhorn, Nordic Warrior and Skald

Mor'Grumaar - Orcish Stronghold Roleplay
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Bastian is such a wuss I can barely stand him. When I was doing his quest and he stated with his wimpy attitude "But that would be... dishonorable" I rolled my eyes so hard I got dizzy. He is such a caricature - and a bad one at that.

Not looking forward to leveling him up. I'll do it for the achievements but then i'll put him away and never use him again.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    >.< the quiz told me to get that one.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Level 20 Mirri with epic bow and damage gear does 8-10k dps. She can also stealth < 50% health which Bastian cannot do. Mirri almost never dies. She helps the most with soloing world bosses and makes fights much shorter.
    PC NA
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastion heals me. Mirri dies a lot. Bastion has awesome tattoos. Mirri dies a lot. Bastion seems sweet and tender. Mirri...just die already
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bastion is good with healing. Mirri has much more interesting dialogues plus she doesn’t mind if Sammy steals stuff. They are both good for different reasons.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mirri
    CoronHR wrote: »
    Bastion heals me. Mirri dies a lot. Bastion has awesome tattoos. Mirri dies a lot. Bastion seems sweet and tender. Mirri...just die already

Mirri rarely dies if you slot the stealth ability and use at least blue quality medium gear.

Edit: Also get her to level 20 so she has 30k health. You can powerlevel her in skyreach in < 2 hours.
    Edited by SkaraMinoc on June 5, 2021 10:33AM
    PC NA
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    I just got both, so haven't really played with them a lot, but from the intro quest dialogues, I think I will like Mirri more.
  • Ourania
    Ourania
    ✭✭
    Bastian
    RedMuse wrote: »
    Picked up Mirri last night and I'm already in love. I guess I'll pick up poor Bastian eventually though he doesn't seem very interesting to me for some reason.

But why do I get the feeling she was supposed to be Breton too, but they only changed her late so as not to have two Breton companions in the first go yet didn't worked it all the way through.

Actually, Bastian is an Imperial not a Breton, though I did think he was a Breton at first also
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    I entered the zone without any guides since I like exploring on my own when a new DLC comes out, so I ended up at Doomvault Vulpinaz - I have no idea what Vulpinaz means, but made me think at he lilmothid fox kin which are extinct by 2nd era when ESO takes place. There I completed the quest I got Mirri.

I just let her tag along during quests and exploration after that, and I also started doing the guild dailies again to level those skills too. In 4 days I managed to get her to level 11. At some point I found a blue inferno staff and equipped it instead of her default bow. By that time I had also unlocked some more class skills, and so I turned her into a simple magicka nightblade, with a few damage skills and heals. Letting her play melee with the class skills got her killed even in fights with delve bosses, ranged feels much more effective. Both my Dark Elf characters are magicka so magicka NB just felt right.

I got Bastian a bit later but I only summon him when I'm scrying for antiquities to raise his disposition - for any given action the disposition cooldown seems to be around 15 minutes. I play stamina DK I'm not too fond of another DK tagging along, especially considering most class skills are melee. There's little synergy with my play style, and I don't need a tank for encounters. Considering how squishy those companions are and how their AI fails to avoid AOE they probably make really weak ones anyway. Also his personality seems less pleasant than Mirri's from the little interactions I've had with him.

Leveling is pretty slow, but I think the pace is right, since the developers don't want players to blow trough the system in a couple of days and get fed up with it. The biggest problem I've ran into is gearing. I've only found half a dozen companion items, most of them blue quality by clearing Blackwood zone almost entirely - at this point I only have the main quest to do - as well as delves, public dungeons and dolmens outside the area, during the guild dailies. Personally I dislike the idea of giving companions a separate gear type, instead of letting the player gear them up with whatever he can craft or farm.

Overall companions are the least useful addition in terms of end game which was introduced by a chapter. If you look at the other chapters/large DLCs they all brought important additions for the end game: Morrowind - new class, Summerset - two new skill lines, which are quite impactful for end game, Elsweyr - new class, Greymoor - a new system that is essential for acquiring mythic gear pieces which are very strong in end game. If companions get destroyed so easily fighting a delve boss, not to mention world bosses, in real dungeons they will probably end up dead most of the time. I haven't even tried bringing them there.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Sidonius
    Sidonius
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a preference, Bastian's rolling with my good guys, Mirri's hanging with my vamps, ww, assassins and thieves.
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    I expect our choices are mainly based on playstyle. Bastion works best for me as a tank. Also, all my alts are females, so it will be fun to see if relationships develop. I also can't get past Mirri's appearance -- to my sensibilities she's fugly.
  • Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Lyranth.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastion's speech and character frequently conflict with game mechanics. His attitude to killing innocents, which he does without mercy or prompting, is the prime example.

Mirri has freckles.

No competition really.

Bastian DOES NOT 'attack without prompting'... in fact, he basically does nothing until the player enters combat. So if the PLAYER does something and is attacked by an innocent, then yes, Bastian will attack them for attacking you. Therefore, it's not Bastian who is initiating the attack, it's the player... there is a HUGE difference. It's amazing how so many players seem to always take themselves out of the equation when blame goes around, instead of realizing that the Companions do nothing, wear nothing, equip nothing, have no skills... without PLAYER choice and decision. The only thing that's outside of the player's hands, are their likes/dislikes and no customizing that takes away their specific identity.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian gives me a positive mood and I like to hear his comments on certain situations.
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Mirri reminds me a lot of Naryu, with the whole sassy sneaky Dark Elf thing. I like her, but her personality just seems a bit derivative to me. Great character design though, she's very pretty.

Bastian is a kind, sweet goody two-shoes, but then you take off his armour and he's covered in dragon tattoos...I have so many questions about that. He's not particularly handsome either, but he's grown on me more than Mirri has.
    PC NA, CP2200+. Character creation is the true endgame.
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be an option for "Depends"

I like them both for different reasons.

Bastian has quite awesome skills if you know how to properly build him, and actually break down and use the direct pet feature once in a while, same for Mirri. Their AI when it comes to attack priorities and getting out of stupid is pretty poor so it's up to you to get them out of it -- or let them die and rez later, wtv. But I find them both pretty amazing for what they are meant to do.

As for all the Bastian hate, I would say that he takes more work to build than Mirri but it's quite worth the effort. He makes and excellent magdk for dps with a fire staff, and he can (contrary to some posting) actually tank if you prioritize his skill order correctly on the bar and direct him when needed. I took him into Elden Hollow when his talons opened up, and had a total blast pulling the room of adds and seeing how he would handle it. xD
    Edited by Soulshine on June 6, 2021 6:16AM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Bastion's dislikes are too restrictive whereas Mirri is very lax as long as you don't take any bugs.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Bastion's dislikes are too restrictive whereas Mirri is very lax as long as you don't take any bugs.
    "Bugs are bad, m'kay? xD
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    I don't like dark elves and I can't put a helmet to cover her ugly mug
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭