The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

psa: light attack weave.

MythicaLMeddLer
MythicaLMeddLer
✭✭✭
Lately, I feel I have encountered a lot of pugs in dungeons using the Kinras Wrath set, and unable to proc it. One person insisted that I must be using Domihaus because he is using Kinras Wrath as well and it doesn’t make that orange glowing circle for him. Another proc the set a total of 2 times for a matter of seconds in a years long dungeon. Just wanted to put it out there, if you’re using this set, practicing your light attack weave will help maximize the damage of the set.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, gotta get your LA weaving down to a T. That's where training dummies become an invaluable tool, you can just beat on it all day long and develop that muscle memory with your LA weaving.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

Don't need to do that to learn La weaving. Light attack, skill, light attack, skill, light attack...pretty straight forward. Just start out slow and work your way up.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 18, 2021 8:34PM
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched to PC from ps4 recently, and I can tell you from experience that LA weaving is a chore at best on console. I'd say 35% of the time, your LA doesn't even register. The difference on PC is not to be taken lightly, as it's massive.

Played with a fast internet and wired connection on both, but still LA weaving on console is very very hit or miss.

Really wish ZoS would do away with these sets or add to the timer to be more forgiving for console players.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    I switched to PC from ps4 recently, and I can tell you from experience that LA weaving is a chore at best on console. I'd say 35% of the time, your LA doesn't even register. The difference on PC is not to be taken lightly, as it's massive.

Played with a fast internet and wired connection on both, but still LA weaving on console is very very hit or miss.

Really wish ZoS would do away with these sets or add to the timer to be more forgiving for console players.

I'm on ps4, we just go slightly slower at weaving than on pc. It does get wonky sometimes, but the entire game is wonky either way on ps4!
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Takes about 15 minutes to basically get it down fine.

Unless you are trying to be the best of the best you don't need to spend anything close to days or weeks training on a dummy.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 18, 2021 8:34PM
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does get wonky sometimes, but the entire game is wonky either way on ps4!

Tell me about it 😑

The recent inventory madness and disappearing housing items have killed my taste for PS4 completely.
    Sad too, almost 1500 cp, mounts and materials and gold like you wouldn't believe. Never thought I'd start over, but here we are 🤷‍♂️
    Edited by Kel on May 4, 2021 9:16PM
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Flamebait

That's how you separate average players and great players. Almost all of the game's content is completible with minimal effort in dummy parsing.

How fun would a game be if everyone can be pro instantly?
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 18, 2021 8:35PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the case with a lot of meta sets that most online guides recommend, and players use them without knowing how they work, and get good uptimes, and in those cases a flat stat set would be more beneficial for them.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I do think it's wondering, it gives players the opportunity to learn a skill that will be useful in all forms of combat in the game. The ones who learn this skill and practice it will shine above the others, which is how most systems in an MMORPG work.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 18, 2021 8:36PM
  • Flamebait
    Flamebait
    ✭✭✭
    well not sure how people feel they are awesome because they can weave [snip] Honestly I have no problem with it but I know lots of people that do, and doesn't help that ZoS has no clue about teaching anything so I think it's a *** system. If they would not expect people to go and watch YouTube and content creators videos then it wouldn't be so bad, but as it is it's a nonsense system, [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on May 5, 2021 12:58PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Flamebait wrote: »
    well not sure how people feel they are awesome because they can weave [snip] Honestly I have no problem with it but I know lots of people that do, and doesn't help that ZoS has no clue about teaching anything so I think it's a *** system. If they would not expect people to go and watch YouTube and content creators videos then it wouldn't be so bad, but as it is it's a nonsense system, [snip]

LA weaving alone doesn't make you awesome, but when combined with other mechanical skills like aiming, dodge rolling, blocking, resource management, rotation uptime, mechanic and boss knowledge, map awareness, etc you get the culmination of many small components working together as a larger sum. This doesn't even include the pre-production or planning portion, which is the choice of abilities, CP, gear, passives, etc. LA weaving is just one spoke on the wheel, but an important one, so if you can at least master it, you are further along the path towards success than you were beforehand.
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on May 5, 2021 12:59PM
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not the only game mechanic the average player seems to have no idea how to use.

I can't stand using the dungeon finder because it's riddled with people who do 3k dps, don't use synergies, don't talk, and don't make an attempt to understand boss mechanics. For some unknown reason, these incredibly awful players queue for veteran dungeons they aren't remotely ready for. I have a particular healer that is low dps, but it's fun to play. That is right up until I'm over 50% group dps at maybe 10k, sometimes as high as 65%. I just don't understand how that was even possible.

Since someone will reply to just join a guild... between my guilds and play time differences between friends, it's sometimes hard to find decent people to do the content I want to do. Plus it's pretty hard to meet and recruit new people when you play with the same group all the time.

The skill floor and ceiling are so far apart in this game. It's incredibly frustrating to have to rely on other people when I'm capable of 75k dps and the other DD is picking his nose in the corner, spamming vigor or something. But it's okay, ZOS is fixing that problem by cutting CP bonuses by 40-60%.
    EP: Slania Isara : Harambe Was an Inside Job
  • Flamebait
    Flamebait
    ✭✭✭
    That's how you separate average players and great players. Almost all of the game's content is completible with minimal effort in dummy parsing.

Wow you are right, nobody was saying that in the thread. Oh wait yes it is being said right here that weaving is what separates the normal from the great. I am simply tired of the constant bull about how a game that can't bother teaching people is treated like a broken, unintuitive system is some great thing. I already said if ZOS would teach players how things work then maybe it would be not so bad but as is it is a terrible system.
    jrgray93 wrote: »
    It's not the only game mechanic the average player seems to have no idea how to use.

I can't stand using the dungeon finder because it's riddled with people who do 3k dps, don't use synergies, don't talk, and don't make an attempt to understand boss mechanics. For some unknown reason, these incredibly awful players queue for veteran dungeons they aren't remotely ready for. I have a particular healer that is low dps, but it's fun to play. That is right up until I'm over 50% group dps at maybe 10k, sometimes as high as 65%. I just don't understand how that was even possible.

Since someone will reply to just join a guild... between my guilds and play time differences between friends, it's sometimes hard to find decent people to do the content I want to do. Plus it's pretty hard to meet and recruit new people when you play with the same group all the time.

The skill floor and ceiling are so far apart in this game. It's incredibly frustrating to have to rely on other people when I'm capable of 75k dps and the other DD is picking his nose in the corner, spamming vigor or something. But it's okay, ZOS is fixing that problem by cutting CP bonuses by 40-60%.

Again this is a big part of the problem, they make an MMO, set it so that the only real progression in the game is skill based, and then flat out refuse to teach any new players how the skill system works. Then you have players jumping all over the forums defending it as being a great setup that you have to use online resources to learn the basics of the game [snip]

Sidenote, the name actually has nothing to do with forums, it was my resto druid from wow's name. :) [snip]

[edited for baiting and bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on May 5, 2021 1:00PM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in the beta. We figured it out then. We were trying everything and banging off stuff creatively led to the discovery of animation cancelling. I noticed it myself and it was confirmed by others in the game. Good times, back when the game was almost hard. ;)

Don't even notice I'm doing it, well sometimes when I switch chars I have to change the timing a bit.
    Edited by poodlemasterb16_ESO on May 4, 2021 10:50PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was in the beta. We figured it out then. We were trying everything and banging off stuff creatively led to the discovery of animation cancelling. I noticed it myself and it was confirmed by others in the game. Good times, back when the game was almost hard. ;)

Don't even notice I'm doing it, well sometimes when I switch chars I have to change the timing a bit.

Yeah that was half of the fun we had back in Beta, discovering all the new things ESO was adding to the sea of other MMORPG's. LA weaving, animation canceling, etc were just one of those things we figured out before the official launch even landed in April 2014. I'm thankful I got to experience those moments, it was gnarly!
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even weave, I'm always hitting left mouse click and using skills at the same time, ( I guess I'm weaving then ) if I LA weave between skills then so be it but I don't attempt to try it
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow you are right, nobody was saying that in the thread. Oh wait yes it is being said right here that weaving is what separates the normal from the great. I am simply tired of the constant bull about how a game that can't bother teaching people is treated like a broken, unintuitive system is some great thing. I already said if ZOS would teach players how things work then maybe it would be not so bad but as is it is a terrible system.
    jrgray93 wrote: »

Again this is a big part of the problem, they make an MMO, set it so that the only real progression in the game is skill based, and then flat out refuse to teach any new players how the skill system works. Then you have players jumping all over the forums defending it as being a great setup that you have to use online resources to learn the basics of the game [snip]

Sidenote, the name actually has nothing to do with forums, it was my resto druid from wow's name. :) [snip]

It is so damn simple (mouse click - skill - repeat) you don't need a single online resource to learn how to LA weave. ESO actually displays how to LA weave as a trainer tip when you're leveling up as well as a message in loading screens.

Even if online resources were needed, so what? The people who care about getting better will use them. They should be reap the rewards for putting in extra effort.
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on May 5, 2021 1:01PM
  • Flamebait
    Flamebait
    ✭✭✭
    It is so damn simple (mouse click - skill - repeat) you don't need a single online resource to learn how to LA weave. ESO actually displays how to LA weave as a trainer tip when you're leveling up as well as a message in loading screens.

Even if online resources were needed, so what? The people who care about getting better will use them. They should be reap the rewards for putting in extra effort.

Okay so then we have learned that you are one of the people who could use a system that teaches you, if you are doing LA -> skill -> LA -> skill then you are also not doing it properly either. You also need to throw in an extra action such as block to cancel the LA animation or you actually lose damage by waiting on the animation to finish so that the skill fires off faster. :)

I have been here since beta as well so people saying that like it means something should realize it doesn't. Honestly this is so far from the game it was in beta that having been here for that is simply like saying you were here 5 games ago in the ES saga. But also the fact that things people had to figure out in beta still are not taught and that is part of the problem. All I said is the game should have actual information in it but apparently I am the bad person for that so whatever.
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine thinking you can discover how to be a great player in a MMO in 2021 by just playing the game and never reach out for additional information elsewhere. I doubt such a game exists in this day and age.
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay so then we have learned that you are one of the people who could use a system that teaches you, if you are doing LA -> skill -> LA -> skill then you are also not doing it properly either. You also need to throw in an extra action such as block to cancel the LA animation or you actually lose damage by waiting on the animation to finish so that the skill fires off faster. :)

I have been here since beta as well so people saying that like it means something should realize it doesn't. Honestly this is so far from the game it was in beta that having been here for that is simply like saying you were here 5 games ago in the ES saga. But also the fact that things people had to figure out in beta still are not taught and that is part of the problem. All I said is the game should have actual information in it but apparently I am the bad person for that so whatever.

You're not a bad person, just misinformed. As of the current state of the game, you do not need to block to cancel any animations to reach high dps. You still have a GCD of 1 second and the damage from bashing is insignificant to make a difference.

With average LA weaving roughly 0.7 la/s you can hit up to 50-60k dps on trial dummy which is decent enough to do vet dungs and some vet trials given you know mechanics.

I have not used any external resources regarding LA weaving or animation cancelling and can reach 0.9 la/s which takes me around 85 - 90k dps on trial dummy. I did have to practice to get there though.

I don't block cancel at all and the only other animation canceling I do is bar swapping which is pretty easy. (bar swap immediately when your skill goes off).
    Edited by Viewsfrom6ix on May 5, 2021 3:48AM
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LA weaving is a chore at best on console. I'd say 35% of the time, your LA doesn't even register.

^^ This. I have to also factor in that I'm half the globe away from the server, so that additional lag means my LAs seem to register maybe 35% of the time IF I'm lucky.
    HM Vet trials will probably ever be out of my reach.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consistently proccing the 5 piece effect of a meta stam dps set = playing the most basic aspect of the game?

There's plenty of good builds out there that doesn't require top tier LA weaving. Perfecting LA weaving is only needed to reach top dps in the game, which is hardly the most basic aspect of the game.
    if you are doing LA -> skill -> LA -> skill then you are also not doing it properly either. You also need to throw in an extra action such as block to cancel the LA animation or you actually lose damage by waiting on the animation to finish so that the skill fires off faster. :)
    That's wrong though. It's just LA-> skill -> wait atleast 1 second -> LA-> skill -> repeat. Skill animation will cancel LA animation. No other actions needed.

I find some people who are against LA weaving don't really get how it works. They go about it the wrong way (in which case it doesn't work) then complain it's nonsense and that you need to spend hours/days hitting a target dummy to do LA weaving.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 18, 2021 8:36PM
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're not a bad person, just misinformed. As of the current state of the game, you do not need to block to cancel any animations to reach high dps. You still have a GCD of 1 second and the damage from bashing is insignificant to make a difference.

With average LA weaving roughly 0.7 la/s you can hit up to 50-60k dps on trial dummy which is decent enough to do vet dungs and some vet trials given you know mechanics.

I have not used any external resources regarding LA weaving or animation cancelling and can reach 0.9 la/s which takes me around 85 - 90k dps on trial dummy. I did have to practice to get there though.

I don't block cancel at all and the only other animation canceling I do is bar swapping which is pretty easy. (bar swap immediately when your skill goes off).

You guys need to make up your mind, is LA/AC responsible for massive increase in DPS as your example, where going from .7 la/s to .9 la/s gives you 30-35K EXTRA FREE DPS, or does it give a total of 20K extra free damage when not doing it at all or doing it .9 la/s. I tend to believe your numbers more than others, and that why this is a extreme exploit that needs to be fixed asap.
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    Merforum wrote: »
    You guys need to make up your mind, is LA/AC responsible for massive increase in DPS as your example, where going from .7 la/s to .9 la/s gives you 30-35K EXTRA FREE DPS, or does it give a total of 20K extra free damage when not doing it at all or doing it .9 la/s. I tend to believe your numbers more than others, and that why this is a extreme exploit that needs to be fixed asap.

No, light attack weaving is probably between 15-25% of your total damage.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm on ps4, we just go slightly slower at weaving than on pc. It does get wonky sometimes, but the entire game is wonky either way on ps4!

I never got good at animation canceling, but now skills don’t fire a lot of the time so I just don’t care about it anymore.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelle412 wrote: »

In the testing I have seen, ONLY the LA portion of DPS that is 20% but the added benefit of doing LA PLUS SKILL about every second adds another about 20K DPS to the mix. How can all these people be so wrong that going from .7 la/s to .9 la/s gives 30K DPS all be wrong. I think that is more accurate.

Another reason there is so much benefit in going from .7 to .9 is that for .2 where you aren't doing it correctly, means you miss the LA and/or skill. The reason this is such a terrible mechanic is because when people are starting to learn it they can maybe do it 30% of the time but 70% they MISS the window, all those misses are wasted time with no damage. Honestly I found Heavy attack build with consistent 25K DPS to be more fun and efficient.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What he meant is 0.7 la and a skill every second vs 0.9 la and a skill every second. Which by quick maths adds 28% damage...if you drop all light attacks and use 0.9 skills every second you will end up losing 13% dps (stam) or 20% dps (mag). If you can't get high skill/second ratio that's on you, not light attack weaving nor animation canceling. The only time it is animation canceling, is cast time skills, which makes it wonky, like sweeps, snipe, frags spam, etc etc, which only then I agree with you, makes it not intuitive nor fun.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never got good at animation canceling, but now skills don’t fire a lot of the time so I just don’t care about it anymore.

I actually don't fully animation cancel. Just light la weave at a somewhat slower pace(Lot's of nerve damage in my hands). Still I guess I'm mediocre in end game. Maybe? 76k on my nord dps, but I've also been playing that character for a few years.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

In the testing I have seen, ONLY the LA portion of DPS that is 20% but the added benefit of doing LA PLUS SKILL about every second adds another about 20K DPS to the mix. How can all these people be so wrong that going from .7 la/s to .9 la/s gives 30K DPS all be wrong. I think that is more accurate.

Another reason there is so much benefit in going from .7 to .9 is that for .2 where you aren't doing it correctly, means you miss the LA and/or skill. The reason this is such a terrible mechanic is because when people are starting to learn it they can maybe do it 30% of the time but 70% they MISS the window, all those misses are wasted time with no damage. Honestly I found Heavy attack build with consistent 25K DPS to be more fun and efficient.

Obviously more skills per second equates to more dps. If you forget about LAs you cannot cast all skills every GCD because skills have a small variability in animation duration. The LA is used to shorten the skill animation to one GCD, for magicka DDs LAs deal quite some dps due to the vMA staff, so not light attacking is punished double.

LAs are a free source of dmg which everyone should be using. Hate it or love it, its a part of the game that improves responsiveness so its not going away.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously more skills per second equates to more dps. If you forget about LAs you cannot cast all skills every GCD because skills have a small variability in animation duration. The LA is used to shorten the skill animation to one GCD, for magicka DDs LAs deal quite some dps due to the vMA staff, so not light attacking is punished double.

LAs are a free source of dmg which everyone should be using. Hate it or love it, its a part of the game that improves responsiveness so its not going away.

Yeah, I agree with you that the FREE LA damage in LA/AC is only half the story, as you say the increased SKILLS/sec is the part that everyone keeps lying about but it is self-evident. If you do 9 LA + 10 skills/10 sec, it will give much more DPS than 7 LA + 8-10 skill/10 sec. Clearly the best you can do is 10LA + 10 skills/10 sec and worst is 5 LA + 5 skills/10 sec.

Since the least amount of lag in cyro was during the test with the cooldowns. LA/AC might end up being one of the causes of lag also, eventually they might have no choice but to fix it.
This discussion has been closed.