The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Frostbite Set

WombatNipples65
WombatNipples65
✭✭✭
The frostbite set isn't actually that bad when paired with Magden, being the class with the most ice damage easily accessible. However that being said the Magden's main burst revolves around the Shalks, even when using Frostbite, and it is normally the highest damage skill the class has in general. So why isn't that skill also Frost damage? Its missing out on a possible 12% damage done from this set alone.

What's the downside of changing it to frost damage?

And maybe even changing Cliff Racer to Frost damage as well?
PC EU
Wômbat - Khajiit Magicka Nightblade - AR50
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The frostbite set isn't actually that bad when paired with Magden, being the class with the most ice damage easily accessible. However that being said the Magden's main burst revolves around the Shalks, even when using Frostbite, and it is normally the highest damage skill the class has in general. So why isn't that skill also Frost damage? Its missing out on a possible 12% damage done from this set alone.

What's the downside of changing it to frost damage?

And maybe even changing Cliff Racer to Frost damage as well?

Oh yeah the damage type change from magic to frost is absolutely necessary now. and everyone who has talked about this topic this pts cycle agrees as far as I've seen and that is a heck of a lot of people. I don't think I've seen a more unanimously decided group of magicka wardens.

Downside of changing the damage type is also minimal. We lose a bit of overcharged proc in aoe which is 4 seconds of minor magickasteal. In groups this doesn't mean much at all, but the upside of swapping it is more chilled uptime in aoe which is more beneficial for us in more situations, builds and with more sets.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on April 22, 2021 8:11AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Heals_With_Orbs
    Heals_With_Orbs
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the guys above, and with the other guys who've been saying for a couple of years with regards to making frost damage more viable. I have a pure frost mage which i made for fun and it does considerably less dps than flame / lightning, approximately 15% or so. Theres a few vids on youtube that show the results. I think the max you can get using mothers sorrow / winterborn / ysgramors / iceheart etc is around 30k dps, maybe a little more. Why is it so much lower than other elemental dmg?

My suggestion is this, that we do what the other guys suggest, and thats change the animals dmg type from magic to frost or make the dmg type change depending on what staff you equip as it does with the elemental rage ultimate.

Another suggestion to remedy the severe lack of monster sets for ice dmg is for helms to be updated to deal dmg of that type depending on the staff. For example the maw daedroth could breathe a cone of cold, or grothdarr could become a cyclone of hail. The llambris helm deals flame / lightning, so why cant ice be added to that also? This could save the work having to create new monster sets and use the ones we already have. I understand that the helms have a theme though based on the dungeon etc.
  • drakthir
    drakthir
    ✭✭✭
    Crystal frags is high magic damage, sorcs have lightning damage buffs, you think frags a daedric earth/crystal spell should be turned into a lightning bolt or something? Or just add some random zap animations around it then call it lightning?

The warden is nature/ice/spirit summoning,it should keep the distinctions or tbh... just remove ice altogether and add it to a new class where the ice theme might fit better. I swear if they add another healing ice set im gonna rage, its like guys stop trying to make this happen...
  • LoneWandererBud
    LoneWandererBud
    Soul Shriven
    built a frost Warden DPS in anticipation of this Frostbite set. It's not bad at all when paired with Medusa and Iceheart, but the damage still falls short of where I'd like, and out-of-combat crit is still only about 55% even with Thief Mundus on a Khajiit.

Gonna keep playing him because he's fun, but at this point a frost DPS will still be a support role that does a meh amount of damage. For serious content I'll default to my Necro or Templar.

If Shalks and Cliff Racer were frost abilities, then we might have something. Shame ZOS still doesn't have enough love for a frost DPS role.
  • NylAR
    NylAR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frost shalks... that just sounds badass.

Heck why don't they turn all Warden magic damage skills into frost damage??? Would be so great!
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NylAR wrote: »
    Frost shalks... that just sounds badass.

Heck why don't they turn all Warden magic damage skills into frost damage??? Would be so great!

We've been pushing this during this patch, it's been recieved pretty well by people on the forums. of course, with every suggested change there is that portion of people that don't like it, and this time, it's definitely more favoured by those wanting it to change. But it's genuinely helpful for reasons that have been explained several times previously. it's just something that should happen now.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d like Frost Shalks.

Another easy one would be making the Magicka bear morph deal frost damage and have the appearance of a polar bear. The Eternal morph is pretty useless when pets are immortal in so much of the content. It should also scale up in damage like Wild Guardian (about 5% higher) when the auto respawn effect is removed.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’d like Frost Shalks.

Another easy one would be making the Magicka bear morph deal frost damage and have the appearance of a polar bear. The Eternal morph is pretty useless when pets are immortal in so much of the content. It should also scale up in damage like Wild Guardian (about 5% higher) when the auto respawn effect is removed.

I'd be fine with the morph effect having less of a cast time and/or gapclosing upon using ulti. Regarding the skin I'd honestly even be happy with a crown store thing. Increasing bear's damage any more just makes it more BiS in pve which i know is something people dislike.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on June 24, 2021 8:56PM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fizzyapple wrote: »
    [snip]

I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 5, 2022 11:09AM
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe a frost morph that uses a different animation. Would feel so messed up if they just changed damage type and not animation to make it look like frost DMG.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    Maybe a frost morph that uses a different animation. Would feel so messed up if they just changed damage type and not animation to make it look like frost DMG.

definitely, it has fire based effects at the moment so that'd need to change to something like shattering ice. the sound effects would also need to reflect that. but just frost damage wouldn't make it useful for pve, it'd need to do something else to help seperate it's useage from sub assault. can't really make meaningful choices for our class abilities anymore. since there's so few of them and morphs that outshine other ones, having a reason to use deep fissure in pve would be great.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on February 5, 2022 11:47AM
  • lQrukl
    lQrukl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crystal frags is high magic damage, sorcs have lightning damage buffs, you think frags a daedric earth/crystal spell should be turned into a lightning bolt or something? Or just add some random zap animations around it then call it lightning?
    I would be happy if sorcerers could at least get the ability to use a lightning staff without a monstrous loss of damage T.T

Who even came up with the idea of ​​making a class with all class abilities of a single-target, thematically related to a staff that buffs only AoE, and cannot even buff own light attacks?
    Edited by lQrukl on February 5, 2022 9:59PM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be cool to get more morphs of skills. You could have frost shalks, fire shalks, poison shalks, bleeding shalks. Etc.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    It would be cool to get more morphs of skills. You could have frost shalks, fire shalks, poison shalks, bleeding shalks. Etc.

that is an astounding amount of work to do on zos's side. i can't see it happening anytime soon. or even at all. they already have a ton of useless morphs.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on February 6, 2022 8:46AM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

that is an astounding amount of work to do on zos's side. i can't see it happening anytime soon. or even at all. they already have a ton of useless morphs.

Yeah, doubt it would ever happen..

When Mythics and CP 2.0 was anounced, I thought more unique effects would be available to cover things like this, I was really hoping for less statistic based bonuses. Eg.

CP slottable - All shock damage you deal has a 15% chance to cause forked lighting, dealing x shock damage to up to 4 nearby targets. (Funily enough, they made this idea a set and it completely sucks as a 5 piece, but would be alright as 1/4 of your CP slottables.)

Mythic - All damage you deal is converted to frost damage and has a chance to apply an additional status effect called frostburn, resulting in x frost damage over 4 seconds. Frost damage increased by +200 weapon/spell damage.

Either mythic or cp, doesn't matter, point is you'd have a chance to spec into more interesting playstyles to fit a given theme instead of just.. hur dur, +10% single target damage.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 6, 2022 9:51AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

When Mythics and CP 2.0 was anounced, I thought more unique effects would be available to cover things like this, I was really hoping for less statistic based bonuses. Eg.

CP slottable - All shock damage you deal has a 15% chance to cause forked lighting, dealing x shock damage to up to 4 nearby targets. (Funily enough, they made this idea a set and it completely sucks as a 5 piece, but would be alright as 1/4 of your CP slottables.)

Mythic - All damage you deal is converted to frost damage and has a chance to apply an additional status effect called frostburn, resulting in x frost damage over 4 seconds. Frost damage increased by +200 weapon/spell damage.

Either mythic or cp, doesn't matter, point is you'd have a chance to spec into more interesting playstyles to fit a given theme instead of just.. hur dur, +10% single target damage.

not a fan of damage type conversion because it doesn't change visual effects. frost warden is a disaster of poison, fire, magic and a little bit of ice.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

not a fan of damage type conversion because it doesn't change visual effects. frost warden is a disaster of poison, fire, magic and a little bit of ice.

Who says it can't? Just changing the colour is a start and as simple as a colour picker. I've played other games that manage to do it.

Plus, it's really just an idea, it's not meant to fix Warden's issues, it's meant to add to their kit, my concern was how boring the CP/Mythic choices are and how they could benefit thematic playstyles like frost mages or shock mages. Even if most your damage was already frost, the idea would include additional damage done and a new status effect.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 6, 2022 10:10AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Who says it can't? Just changing the colour is a start and as simple as a colour picker. I've played other games that manage to do it.

Plus, it's really just an idea, it's not meant to fix Warden's issues, it's meant to add to their kit, my concern was how boring the CP/Mythic choices are and how they could benefit thematic playstyles like frost mages or shock mages. Even if most your damage was already frost, the idea would include additional damage done and a new status effect.

it's just that changing all of those effects would be such a huge investment of time and resources that i don't think it's realistic to expect visual changes. maybe the frostburn effect would look nice, but i don't see it changing stuff like shalks to look frosty. if that makes sense. i'd still use that mythic tho, but it'd be more interesting if it was an upgrade to the chilled burst instead of a DoT.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on February 6, 2022 10:36AM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah change damage type to frost and animation to ice wraiths
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

That'd be nice. But knowing zos they probably wouldn't care to do that.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or, perhaps, Frostbite Spiders. :neutral:
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

i feel like that is possibly a bad idea since a lot of people have arachnophobia. but i wouldn't mind. i feel like in terms of explody effects, ice wraiths work better since they have that attack where they explode out of the ground.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i feel like that is possibly a bad idea since a lot of people have arachnophobia. but i wouldn't mind. i feel like in terms of explody effects, ice wraiths work better since they have that attack where they explode out of the ground.

Ice Wraiths are more like spirits than animals, though. I don't think they would fit thematically as nicely into the Animal Companion skill line.

What I'd really like is a Horker, but I don't think people are ready for that.

SR-book-Horkerscene.png
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ice Wraiths are more like spirits than animals, though. I don't think they would fit thematically as nicely into the Animal Companion skill line.

What I'd really like is a Horker, but I don't think people are ready for that.

SR-book-Horkerscene.png

They also could just make frost shalks lol
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just change the shalks explosion to a more icy blue, then staple ice dmmage to the tooltips problem solved
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just change the shalks explosion to a more icy blue, then staple ice dmmage to the tooltips problem solved

well, that doesn't stop deep fissure from being entirely outclassed. but it would definitely fix the whole "visual issue". the firey particles should be replaced with something similar to the unstable wall of frost explosion along with the sound effects.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on February 8, 2022 3:13AM