Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Just tried TES IV Oblivion for first time...

• Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Everything in the single-player games is bigger than in ESO. Have you ever been to Vvardenfell in TES4:Morrowind? There's no comparison when it comes to size. I'm not complaining, mind you, because ESO is still massive despite its smaller scale.

They copied the size of morrowind’s map to eso

Slower walk speeds vs fast mounts, various fast travel wayshrines, and much more character zoom out will make a difference
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    Everything in the single-player games is bigger than in ESO. Have you ever been to Vvardenfell in TES4:Morrowind? There's no comparison when it comes to size. I'm not complaining, mind you, because ESO is still massive despite its smaller scale.

Slower walk speeds vs fast mounts, various fast travel wayshrines, and much more character zoom out will make a difference

I can believe that it's copied as far as overall shape, but not that the scale is the same. All you have to do is look at how far it is between Seyda Neen and Vivec City, or from Vivec City to Suran, and there's no comparison.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I can believe that it's copied as far as overall shape, but not that the scale is the same. All you have to do is look at how far it is between Seyda Neen and Vivec City, or from Vivec City to Suran, and there's no comparison.

Agreed, and then there is an issue of exactly how much of the original map just isn't accessible. Dagon Fel, anyone?
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

“Veteran Morrowind fans might be surprised that Morrowind is the smallest open-world Bethesda game in the series. Vvardenfell has about 16 kilometers of playable space. The reason it felt much larger than the likes of Skyrim was this game didn't have fast travel.”

Also
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/6fmbey/size_of_the_elder_scrolls_iii_map_compared_to_eso/

https://amp.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/6ctfne/morrowind_map_size/

https://youtu.be/5lMxZZ3l8-U
    Edited by Iccotak on February 4, 2021 12:11PM
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Single Player TES games are just provincial Side-Stories

- Smaller Map (Not counting TES:II but that was randomly generated, every other TES game has had a smaller map then ESO)

- Less Quests (ESO has thousands of quests more then any single player game in the series)

- Less NPCs (ESO at launch had 10x as many named NPCs then Skyrim did and since then the game has become significantly larger)

- Less Significant Events (Turns out many of the main-questline events of the single-player game had already happened before and to put salt on the wound, the Vestige will likely be directly involved with the defeat of Mehrunes Dagon unlike the Champion of Cyrodiil, it was Martin Septim who defeated Mehrunes Dagon not them.)

- Less Impressive Antagonist (At this point the Vestige makes the others look rather disappointing, who cares about the power of the voice when we are members of the Psijic Order and pull of far more impressive feats with their teachings, who cares about having a Dragon Soul when having no soul led us to become Immortal, who cares about being Thane when the Vestige can become a Count or Emperor.

- Less Support (Remember how Skyrim got the last of it's DLC when it was barley a year old)

Smaller map? Yet the overall world in singleplayer TES games feels more detailed and bigger while the world in eso feels very "gamelike" mechanic, on the rails themeparky and downscaled.

Less quests? More quests does not mean better since alot of quests are just copy and paste all over again.

No ESO has a much larger map.

Larger map? Yes but the world feels smaller in ESO with its zones and it cant really compare to the feel and design of the singleplayer games.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

- Smaller Map (Not counting TES:II but that was randomly generated, every other TES game has had a smaller map then ESO)

- Less Quests (ESO has thousands of quests more then any single player game in the series)

- Less NPCs (ESO at launch had 10x as many named NPCs then Skyrim did and since then the game has become significantly larger)

- Less Significant Events (Turns out many of the main-questline events of the single-player game had already happened before and to put salt on the wound, the Vestige will likely be directly involved with the defeat of Mehrunes Dagon unlike the Champion of Cyrodiil, it was Martin Septim who defeated Mehrunes Dagon not them.)

- Less Impressive Antagonist (At this point the Vestige makes the others look rather disappointing, who cares about the power of the voice when we are members of the Psijic Order and pull of far more impressive feats with their teachings, who cares about having a Dragon Soul when having no soul led us to become Immortal, who cares about being Thane when the Vestige can become a Count or Emperor.

- Less Support (Remember how Skyrim got the last of it's DLC when it was barley a year old)

Smaller map? Yet the overall world in singleplayer TES games feels more detailed and bigger while the world in eso feels very "gamelike" mechanic, on the rails themeparky and downscaled.

Less quests? More quests does not mean better since alot of quests are just copy and paste all over again.

Larger map? Yes but the world feels smaller in ESO with its zones and it cant really compare to the feel and design of the singleplayer games.

Npc models that look like small action figures AND having a camera which can zoom out far more than the single player games will have that effect
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stating 16 +year old game is better which is inferior in every way imaginable with outdataed graphics,progression,story,terribly looking characters, totally different genre.

Comparing ESO TO TES4 Is same as Milky way Galaxy to a planet in absolute sense. Not going to far at all.

ESO Is 1000 times bigger,polished in every Aerda Divine way it can be constantly improved/expanded,has infinite amount of options,its 10x more gorgeous,modern with limitless options,freedom, you have to be unbelievably nostalgic or naive to think otherwise.

Look at the masterful story ,locations,soundtrack etc, One could not stop for days to write how impossibly large ,complex and magical ESO is, TES4 is a relic now, good game but a midget to ESO it was a catalyst of what future of ES franchise shall

BY ARKAY'S BEARD PLEASE

Its illogical to compare ESO with 2006 game. ESO on launch was superior got bigger and better each passing way,Its so incredible how some people live in the past, times changed
    gaming evolved
    so did Elder scrolls universe

characters look same in TES4 , combat,graphic,exploration,limitiation, every ruin is more or less bland genertic monotonjc,in 2006 surely was great yea, now its laughable and so tiny.

Elder scrolls Online has unmatched quality in so many aspects,

Please TES4 Oblivion fans that game is ancient relic now , You are consumed by Nostalgia that blinds you puts a shadow of judgment and plain delusion in your insight/judgement,
    Edited by Vanya on February 4, 2021 8:44AM
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oblivion with sufficient mods to tackle some of its worst faults is a fine game. TES III Morrowind is aged but the chained doors in ESO chapter are just sad.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmurra2 wrote: »
    slipciok wrote: »
    Seriously... is superior game if you compare to ESO. Even character animations are better. Whats the point of ESO? Just Game Store and LootBoxes? I don't understand why ESO exist.

I enjoy both games a lot, but I love oblivion and skyrim because it's a solo rpg when you are tired of other people. Oblivion was my favorite. Would love a remaster for console.

Not sure about remasters, but there are the Skybilvion(Obilvion remake), and Skywind(Morrowind remake) projects. I think both are looking great, and are very ambitious. Hopefully they will be released someday....

There has been a new Skyblivion video last month:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COyNbSV8M0Y
    Looks like it's not that far away anymore.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    “Veteran Morrowind fans might be surprised that Morrowind is the smallest open-world Bethesda game in the series. Vvardenfell has about 16 kilometers of playable space. The reason it felt much larger than the likes of Skyrim was this game didn't have fast travel.”

Also
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/6fmbey/size_of_the_elder_scrolls_iii_map_compared_to_eso/

Interesting, but not conclusive.

For those who may not want to wade through the links posted:
    1. The first thread suggests similar sizes but blames it feeling smaller on fast transit.
    2. The second has several opposing views but again suggests similar (or slightly smaller size) with travel speed and fast transit cited again.
    3. The video attempts a comparison of playable area between TESIII and ESO:Morrowind. It suggests similarity of size and again cites travel speed as a contributing factor. It is a good effort but lacks rigour*.

*This is not meant as direct criticism of the video's creator but there are elements that are not fully explored.
    • Playable area is explicitly included in the comparison between Vvardenfell, Craglorn and Wrothgar in ESO but there is no direct comparison between TESIII and ESO. There is a descriptive treatment only.
    • Travel speed is included as a scale factor between the ESO zones as a way of showing Vvardenfell is larger. This comparison is not carried out between TESIII and ESO. Again, a descriptive treatment only.
    • The comparison includes only external playable spaces, and does not included the internal spaces.

I would love to see a full treatment of this subject.

EDIT: The end of the video refers to the next video being on a comparison of the playable content between TESIII and ESO:Morrowind but I can't seem to find that at all. Does anyone have a link?
    Edited by Iluvrien on February 4, 2021 12:37PM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vanya wrote: »
    Please TES4 Oblivion fans that game is ancient relic now , You are consumed by Nostalgia that blinds you puts a shadow of judgment and plain delusion in your insight/judgement,

Oh, as an archaeologist I like ancient relics! No, seriously, TES IV and ESO are in many ways incomparable and it doesn't really make sense either. If I want to indulge in nostalgia, then I play TES IV (which I haven't done in a long time) and enjoy the peace and solitude there. When I want new stories, better graphics, unexplored areas, and plenty of new activity opportunities, I play ESO. With this in mind, one should just approach the matter and not compare apples with pears.

• ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

After removing some unnecessary back and forth from this thread, we would like everyone to keep posts on the subject at hand, civil, and constructive. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »

Also

1. The first thread suggests similar sizes but blames it feeling smaller on fast transit.
    2. The second has several opposing views but again suggests similar (or slightly smaller size) with travel speed and fast transit cited again.
    3. The video attempts a comparison of playable area between TESIII and ESO:Morrowind. It suggests similarity of size and again cites travel speed as a contributing factor. It is a good effort but lacks rigour*.

*This is not meant as direct criticism of the video's creator but there are elements that are not fully explored.
    • Playable area is explicitly included in the comparison between Vvardenfell, Craglorn and Wrothgar in ESO but there is no direct comparison between TESIII and ESO. There is a descriptive treatment only.
    • Travel speed is included as a scale factor between the ESO zones as a way of showing Vvardenfell is larger. This comparison is not carried out between TESIII and ESO. Again, a descriptive treatment only.
    • The comparison includes only external playable spaces, and does not included the internal spaces.

EDIT: The end of the video refers to the next video being on a comparison of the playable content between TESIII and ESO:Morrowind but I can't seem to find that at all. Does anyone have a link?

I would say but the video made some very clear points that disapprove the notion that the single player game zone is much bigger than the MMO player zone.

1) TES III padded travel time with slower walking speeds that the player had to increase as they played. Also lacked fast travel besides the taxi to major city points.

ESO has a faster base speed, (it’s actually faster than the base speed in Skyrim too) very fast mounts, and fast travel Wayshrines.
    Meaning in TES3 you were slower in general AND you had to walk everywhere.

2) TES III had fog and limit in distance technology.
    If you get a mod, it can clear up all the fog and you can see Vivec City from Seyda.
    The fog was a good trick at the time to make everything feel farther away.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [ youtube ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w26hmoyLbJ0&ab_channel=PewDiePie[ /youtube ]

Elder scrolls Oblivion is my favorite game of the series. Installed and played a little bit during Christmas. The motion sickness :/
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Also

I would say but the video made some very clear points that disapprove the notion that the single player game zone is much bigger than the MMO player zone.

1) TES III padded travel time with slower walking speeds that the player had to increase as they played. Also lacked fast travel besides the taxi to major city points.

ESO has a faster base speed, (it’s actually faster than the base speed in Skyrim too) very fast mounts, and fast travel Wayshrines.

If you get a mod, it can clear up all the fog and you can see Vivec City from Seyda.

I directly addressed point 1 in my post.

The video refers to this point but does not do so completely. The analysis for the ESO zones was complete, they were compared in terms of both playable area and scaling of that area through movement speed.

The video mentions that movement speed affects the perception of the size of Vvardenfell but does not carry out the same analysis between the ESO and TESIII versions as it does between different zones within ESO. As such it proves exactly nothing about their actual comparative sizes.

EDIT: And this is just a discussion of external spaces. I just explored TESIII Balmora and found 30+* internal spaces that I could enter. The number of spaces my character can enter in ESO seems to be... 5. Yeah. Playable area isn't just about external spaces.

*32 is where I got to before my young son came in and distracted me from my count.
    Edited by Iluvrien on February 4, 2021 9:03PM
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Also

I directly addressed point 1 in my post.

The video refers to this point but does not do so completely. The analysis for the ESO zones was complete, they were compared in terms of both playable area and scaling of that area through movement speed.

The video mentions that movement speed affects the perception of the size of Vvardenfell but does not carry out the same analysis between the ESO and TESIII versions as it does between different zones within ESO. As such it proves exactly nothing about their actual comparative sizes.

Do a walk speed for the map and it makes it very clear.

https://youtu.be/ebqq4sOhe9o
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Also

Empirical evidence at it's finest!
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vanya wrote: »
    Stating 16 +year old game is better which is inferior in every way imaginable with outdataed graphics,progression,story,terribly looking characters, totally different genre.

Comparing ESO TO TES4 Is same as Milky way Galaxy to a planet in absolute sense. Not going to far at all.

ESO Is 1000 times bigger,polished in every Aerda Divine way it can be constantly improved/expanded,has infinite amount of options,its 10x more gorgeous,modern with limitless options,freedom, you have to be unbelievably nostalgic or naive to think otherwise.

Look at the masterful story ,locations,soundtrack etc, One could not stop for days to write how impossibly large ,complex and magical ESO is, TES4 is a relic now, good game but a midget to ESO it was a catalyst of what future of ES franchise shall

BY ARKAY'S BEARD PLEASE

Its illogical to compare ESO with 2006 game. ESO on launch was superior got bigger and better each passing way,Its so incredible how some people live in the past, times changed
    gaming evolved
    so did Elder scrolls universe

characters look same in TES4 , combat,graphic,exploration,limitiation, every ruin is more or less bland genertic monotonjc,in 2006 surely was great yea, now its laughable and so tiny.

Elder scrolls Online has unmatched quality in so many aspects,

ESO is pretty for sure, and the world is larger, but the world is much blander and I find the quests inferior to those in single-player TES games. The soundtrack is generally lackluster. Quality > quantity and all that. Not sure why you feel like you know better than people who say that they prefer the TES single-player installments and are insisting that we're blinded by nostalgia. It's weird.
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Npc models that look like small action figures AND having a camera which can zoom out far more than the single player games will have that effect

Yet the world in WoW and GW2 feels much more massive
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right! Instead of potato faces ESO got fortnite faces
    What...what does this even mean?

WoW feels tiny.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oblivion is a great game :)
    The first Elder Scrolls game I played.
    Though no point in comparing a single player game to an MMO, ESO is entirely different with all of its many problems and good qualities.
    But I agree that playing ESO isn't a must and one can be absolutely fine with just playing the single player Elder Scrolls games.
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • drunkendx
    drunkendx
    ✭✭✭✭
    slipciok wrote: »
    I don't understand why ESO exist.

230114_908223010.jpg

EDIT:
    Is that one of the singleplayer spin-offs? I personally prefer ESO because it's the original Elder Scrolls game

Actually:
    1. The Elder Scrolls: Arena
    2. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
    3. An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire
    4. The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
    5. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    6. The Elder Scrolls Travels (Stormhold, Dawnstar, Shadowkey)
    7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    9. The Elder Scrolls Online

He was being sarcastic...
    Edited by drunkendx on February 5, 2021 1:38AM
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

that's because they are - WoW world size is massive but how much of that questing experience is actually good?

Also we're comparing ESO to the single player games - not to other mmos

• Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The things I would do for Oblivion remastered...
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    The things I would do for Oblivion remastered...

Yeah....