Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

So anyway, what's ESO got against heavy armor dps?

• preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it would be unfair?

Why would I play a squishy DPS if a heavily armored one is just as good?
    Why would a group accept squishy DPS if heavily armored one deals as much damage without requiring that much heal and die less?
    Why would I bother with a tank if I can resist the nastybadBossSuperAttack by myself?

Now, is that realist? No, it's not.
    Is it necessary to have a balanced game? Oh, yes, it is.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    The obvious answer is that in ESO, armor is the fulcrum of the offense/defense trade-off. One that is necessary in any RPG.

But I will say that it never made much sense to me that armor should provide any offensive buffs at all. It's not like the type of clothes you're wearing is making your daggers sharper, or your blows more penetrating. From a point of view that is consistent with the logic of the game world, I would expect armor bonuses to be wholly defensive in nature, possibly some in regards to regeneration/encumberance.
    I would expect heavy armor to have more defense in return for limited movement; I would expect medium armor to provide better dodge rolls, e.g. longer invincibility frames; I would expect magic-focused light armor to be more receptive to enchantments. But I wouldn't have expected medium armor to directly boost my weapon damage. That's just weird.

You could argue it comes down to encumberment and other physical factors of the armour. The more agile you are, the greater your crit for example (medium), the less density the more connected to mundus and wells of power you have (light), the heavier the armour the slower you move and less damage you take so have better health (heavy), but of course, that's only if you apply a modicum of logic.

Bottom line, it's a trade-off: survival vs damage. But it's also not always all of one and none of the other. There are many mixed weight builds (medusa, elf bane, rattle cage) along side pure weight builds. Especially mag dps will have the 5-1-1 / 5-2 setup. The argument wrt no tank/healer groups is fallacious too. In such groups the loss of that role requirement is purely because offense is at a level where defence is less of a requirement, and that is far from the case for every group and much more dependant on player skill than choice of armour.
  • Foto1
    Foto1
    ✭✭✭✭
    the problem is that some people are too selfish. they come to a new place for themselves and try to rebuild it to fit their needs. instead of changing yourself
    PC/EU CP 1200+
    Artaxerks stamina dk khajiit
    Wayna Qhapaq magicka dk argonian
    Rorekur stamina sorc orc
    Maria de Medici magicka sorc breton
    Cordeilla stamina warden wood elf
    Quienn Gwendolen magicka warden high elf
    Nefertari stamina necro khajiit
    Boadicea Icenian magicka templar dark elf
    Clarice de Medici healer nb breton