Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka Nightblade - we want our rights

• DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭
    At this point I almost wish for ZOS to get rid of cloak so that the final excuse people give for NB being OP is gone.

Every single nerf that has been delivered to the class over the years has been done with "But Cloak!@!@!" as the justification.

I mean the skill barely works as is due to server limitations... Just be done with it and give us a burst heal and some of the past utility back to our other skills. We'd be in a much better spot.
  • Augusten15
    Augusten15
    ✭✭✭
    Been a magblade main since 2014 but made plenty of other toons for relief.. The one way I can enjoy pvp (no-cp) on my magblade is a cheese double proc burst build. I have to run an addon that can quickly display if the target is killable or not. If their hp is over 25k, they most likely can't be killed because so many classes have a burst heal to negate the gank or worse, streak.

The drawbacks are absolutely no sustain (literally run meditate on back bar) and I can be dropped in 2-3 skills from any build in existence.

I'm aware there are some heavy builds without stealth but it's just a watered down sorc that can't burst heal. Shade is cool but unreliable as it takes setup, breaks stealth, and only has purpose around LoS. Most people didn't choose "nightblade" because they wanted to spam health regen skills and hump LoS with low-medium burst potential.

The solution is always make a Stam version of your mag characters if you want to pvp. It isn't pretty, but you gotta play the hand your dealt.
  • Doczy
    Doczy
    ✭✭✭
    whole class (at least magicka skills) needs to be rework

it must be illusion-burst damage skills for assassination and leecher-dot based for siphoning. and shadow must be mix for them.

dear devs. if you dont have any ideas for makin it just better please ask us. we have a lot of ideas. at least 5 different playstyle and theme can be create by players.

stop ignoring us. you never did any changes for us like a year. and hundreds of people are talking about it.

im looking next ptr notes. there is no any single change for our class. why we pay you if you ignore us for a year?
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm just fine with magblade not having the same jump in, instant burst gank potential as stamblade. That identity can belong to that class, and that's fair; magblade was always about delayed burst which you controlled the fight to line up.

What I wish for magblade is that we can once again play the elusive and hard to pin down close range trickster. You used to be able to start a fight on the back foot and let a player think they had you, trick them into dropping their defences before you dropped fear, your ultimate and bow all at once to instantly turn the fight around.

It was hard to do, you had to line up sorcery, brutality, weapon damage buff, breach, have both your burst skills ready, then stun to create the opening. But when you did it right nothing was more satisfying.

Nowadays you can execute the same combo (and honestly it's still our only combo, except we're missing half the tool that used to let us do it) and have it barely tickle an enemy. Meanwhile you're lucky if you have maybe a 2-3 second opportunity to even stay engaged because there's no way you can possibly mitigate the damage any semi-competent player is putting out.

Cloak and shade shouldn't be an ambush and disengagement tool for magblade. They should be a repositioning tool you use without breaking away from the fight. You should have the ability to keep yourself alive if you don't make a mistake- Heals shouldn't make magblade tanky, it should be a squishy class that plays on the knife edge, but it needs the ability to stay on that knife edge. Ot doesn't need insane damage, but it needs to be able to line up its burst reliably.

It's not the fact we're weak that hurts, it's the fact we've lost such a compelling identity.
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »

Yes.

In my mind this is the type of role (stealth) magblades would play. Controlling and debuffing the enemy (lowering their speed and damage), being squishy but mercurial (cloak, shade), and keeping yourself alive through siphoning (healing from your own damage output). It's almost like a dance, as you twist around them slowly weakening them until you see the stars align, which is the moment you go in for the kill.

The sad part is, all these pieces are still there. Stealth, shade, debilitate, maim, siphoning strikes, swallow soul, magblade has all the pieces. The problem is those pieces are checkers, while everyone else is playing chess.

As time has gone on, each and every one of those abilities has lost any strength and the utility they used to have. Imagine thinking swallow soul and siphoning strikes is supposed to be enough healing to keep you alive? Say I'm perfectly light attack weaving every second (and the enemy isn't dodging anything) so I'm getting a combined 2000 healing per second. That's 1/2 (or 1/3) the damage of a single dizzy swing. A single blasbones or sub assault will do three times as much damage. Most stamina classes could out damage your healing just by light attacking you. Outside of "don't get hit" the utility of your class kit ends there and leaves you with only one option - run away so you can heal and reset the fight.

Debilitate? You mean the slow projectile (lol) that can be dodged (serious, why on earth is this ability even a projectile?), only affects one person, and does absolutely middling damage?

Siphoning strikes? Look at what this ability used to do and tell me that the current iteration is anything but a shadow of its former self.

Fear? You mean that 'class defining' CC that's more bland and objectively worse than the generic guild version?

Swallow soul? This one's actually okay I think, except for the "overwrites good HoTs with bad ones" nonsense. Of course it's also a shell of what it formerly was, and at this point there's absolutely no excuse for it to have lost vitality.

Merciless? Cool damage, but why does it need to sound like a cannon going off -- especially considering the stamina version (which always hits harder due to the nature of stam) is quiet? Why is the projectile time so slow that you can fear into a bow, and your opponent can still CC break and dodge it? Why does it require a dead cast with no effect to activate and another cast to use, increasing the cost of the ability in resources and time?

Soul Harvest? Again, why is this ability so slow that you can break free and roll dodge before it hits you? Sure wish I could roll dodge other abilities with equally hard hitting tooltips like blastbones.

Lotus fan? Why does this ability have a slow cast time too, when crit rush and toppling charge don't?

I could go on, but the point should be clear. Every single nightblade ability is either barren of utility, slow to the point of near uselessness again good players, or otherwise completely underwhelming. Sometimes they're just stupid too. Like major sorcery being attached to an ability that has no use (because, again, it was made useless when it once had purpose) aside form bombers, or major expedition being attached to a stationary ground ability literally forcing yourself into a small box (I still can't get over the absurdity of this one).

The nature of these skills (barren, devoid of use, underwhelming) then compounds by creating issues with barspace. As so many skills do so little you end up needing a ton of things just to reach the bare minimum for survival. Have to use RAT for snare removal if you want speed because path is a lolfest, have to use a resto staff heal because you lack adequate class heals, often have to use a damage shield because you lack healing, have to use degeneration because you don't have a source of major sorcery, have to use inner light because you lack major prophecy, have to use ele drain because you need breech and mark is underwhelming ((notice how all of these abilities aren't even class abilities)). Well, that ends up being way more needs than you have barspace for, which means you have to start sacrificing a lot of 'must-haves'.

Every magblade has had to have that discussion with themselves. The fact that it's not uncommon to see ele drain, inner light, and degeneration on a lot magblades front bars is sad. 60% of their offensive skills have to come from elsewhere because their class doesn't provide. Sure, I've also had this issue on my own DK, sorc, templar, warden, and stamblade, but none of them came close to how bad it was on the magblade.

This honestly doesn't even cover most of what's wrong, at most it's maybe a good introduction.
    Edited by JayKwellen on February 27, 2021 4:38AM
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^ Some very good points.

Even back when magblades were good, lack of flexibility in builds was an issue. You could guarantee most would have almost exactly the same bars, and you could even bet they'd be laid out the same because of the way the passives worked. Gotta have a destro skill on there for that passive, gotta have a siphon skill on each bar, always merciless, always fear, always siphon, always soul harvest, oh and don't be putting two shadow skills on the same bar silly, you'll mess up your health pool...

Maybe the only variation you'd see is if they had shade or a self shield. Usually they'd still have inner light/degeneration slotted too because what's the alternative, spell power pots? The ones that cost like 100k per stack? I know there are some YouTubers out there happily showing off builds that rely on top tier pots as part of the build, but I have a job in real life too you know.

Back then, though, somehow it wasn't pigeonholed into a playstyle. There was enough tolerance in the design for heavy armour sap-blades to work well, shield stacking not-sorcs, classic gankers, bomblades... The only one of those left that still works is the bomblade, and that's such an incredibly niche role you can't honestly expect a whole class to revolve around it. The very definition of a one-trick pony.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    > *Make dark cloaks heals scale to magicka or %x per second

What so stamblades cannot use it?
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZoS policy: all classes should have at least 1 max hp scaling heal/shield.
    Edited by Luckylancer on March 1, 2021 10:43AM
  • Doczy
    Doczy
    ✭✭✭

there is also "or %x " there

stamina classes have vigor and infinite roll dodges with block.

as a magicka our hot is really funny .

incoming damage is far more than our hots. and we should continue attack via siphon la and swallow for hots
  • DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even a small change like adjusting hemorrhage to also grant minor prophecy would help. I thought for sure with this upcoming patch and ZOS's shift to combine weapon/spell critical into one stat that this would have happened.

But no - its still just minor savagery for stam users.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DT-ARR wrote: »
    Even a small change like adjusting hemorrhage to also grant minor prophecy would help. I thought for sure with this upcoming patch and ZOS's shift to combine weapon/spell critical into one stat that this would have happened.

The minors are spread out across classes for group representation. It has nothing to do with mag vs stam builds benefiting from said minor class exclusive buff. You think stam sorcs and stamplars are happy with their spell damage and spell crit minors?
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel Dark Cloak should be a magic costing Dodge Roll effect with a Minor Evasion attached, turn the morph into a strong defensive skill. This would be exceptional useful in PVP/PVE, but in PVP it offers a solid-chance escape skill.
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JayKwellen wrote: »
    Even if you have your shot your ultimate and your burst are so incredibly slow that anyone with thumbs can avoid 100% of your damage.

This. [snip] I can work around everything but the !!!! telegraphing they've hardwired to us. Here it comes! Get ready!
    Simply put, magblades were made for a game that simply doesn't exist anymore. If they ever were to be viable again the ability to play a siphoning/attrition/healing through damage playstyle again would have to be made actually possible. Unfortunately ZOS has only ever shown that they have no idea what they're trying to do with the class and/or have no understanding of how it plays or what it's problems are, so I honestly don't ever expect to see anything improve.

You're probably right. I don't think they're unaware so much as fine with this. Magblades can kill the hell out of a trials dummy, no buffs or changes needed. Balance accomplished.

[edited for real world religion]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on March 3, 2021 1:38PM
  • SshadowSscale
    SshadowSscale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faded wrote: »
    Even if you have your shot your ultimate and your burst are so incredibly slow that anyone with thumbs can avoid 100% of your damage.

This. [snip] I can work around everything but the !!!! telegraphing they've hardwired to us. Here it comes! Get ready!
    Simply put, magblades were made for a game that simply doesn't exist anymore. If they ever were to be viable again the ability to play a siphoning/attrition/healing through damage playstyle again would have to be made actually possible. Unfortunately ZOS has only ever shown that they have no idea what they're trying to do with the class and/or have no understanding of how it plays or what it's problems are, so I honestly don't ever expect to see anything improve.

You're probably right. I don't think they're unaware so much as fine with this. Magblades can kill the hell out of a trials dummy, no buffs or changes needed. Balance accomplished.

Lol BuT zOs OnLy CaTeRs To PvP bAlAnCe......but magblade is fine with dummy [snip] so no changes needed.... oh it sucks in pvp? well it's fine on the dummy so balance achieved lol

[edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on March 3, 2021 1:39PM
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sahidom wrote: »
    I feel Dark Cloak should be a magic costing Dodge Roll effect with a Minor Evasion attached, turn the morph into a strong defensive skill. This would be exceptional useful in PVP/PVE, but in PVP it offers a solid-chance escape skill.

Make blur cost magicka on roll dodge. Animation may change something in to blurry dash too.

I expect both of nightblade classes to be elusive. Stamnight blade have a kit that enable use use of excesive medium armor and midigation on every meta.

Best class identity for magblades to have a rally like one time heal so they must use their brain and elusiveness to survive and magicka costing roll dodge to enable excessive roll dodge capabilities stamblades enjoy.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    At this point I almost wish for ZOS to get rid of cloak so that the final excuse people give for NB being OP is gone.

Every single nerf that has been delivered to the class over the years has been done with "But Cloak!@!@!" as the justification.

I mean the skill barely works as is due to server limitations... Just be done with it and give us a burst heal and some of the past utility back to our other skills. We'd be in a much better spot.

Can't do that or there would be a riot of thieves. Since there was a whole DLC once just for thieving, and a second for assassination, I don't think they'd betray the thieves QUITE that badly.
  • DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

The minors are spread out across classes for group representation. It has nothing to do with mag vs stam builds benefiting from said minor class exclusive buff. You think stam sorcs and stamplars are happy with their spell damage and spell crit minors?

Fair enough - but in the context of magickaNB specifically needing a buff, and that ZOS has already made the first step of combining weapon / spell critical ratings into one stat - as well as openly trying to encourage hybrid styles of play - this kind of change would seem like a no brainer.

• Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark cloak definitely needs some help, but I am curious if the fact it can also proc the nightblade defense buff impacts the developers thinking any way?
    PvP needs more love.
  • Ecfigies
    Ecfigies
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it needs a burst healing, community have being asking for a long time, the class rely a lot on BRP Resto and Heavy Armor, there's no option here if you're bellow 50% health and you don't have a way to 'getting out' of the execute range, also LOS, a lot of LOS, the gear make a little bit better but it's a complicated class.

• Doczy
    Doczy
    ✭✭✭
    Ecfigies wrote: »
    Well, it needs a burst healing, community have being asking for a long time, the class rely a lot on BRP Resto and Heavy Armor, there's no option here if you're bellow 50% health and you don't have a way to 'getting out' of the execute range, also LOS, a lot of LOS, the gear make a little bit better but it's a complicated class.

they dont care . they never listen people.
  • DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭
    In defense of ZOS (something i rarely say) - They have made several huge changes to the base game in recent patches.

1. The major / minor buff changes targeted towards standardizing armor sets - this came with the side effect of having a huge impact on a number of class skills. They have promised a skill audit as a result which has yet to take place to our knowledge.
    2. CP 2.0
    3. Armor changes
    4. Weapon changes
    5. Consolidating weapon/spell critical and weapon/spell penetration into single categories

Let me make it clear that I think its completely irresponsible to update these items in a piecemeal fashion as it leaves us players whose characters may have been negatively impacted screwed for extended periods of time. But with that said, they've had these changes forecasted well in advance as coming through the pipeline. It would be putting the cart in front of the horse so to speak to make large class balance changes first, and then having to re-do them once more post the above being finalized.

So in short - My gut is telling me that they would want to get the core elements of the game as listed above sorted out, with data gathered, prior to making any sweeping class changes. My hope is that this is whats happening - the only question, frustratingly, is how long do I have to wait as a paying customer.

Or I could be totally wrong and its as Doczy stated - they simply don't care.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »
    Dark cloak definitely needs some help, but I am curious if the fact it can also proc the nightblade defense buff impacts the developers thinking any way?

Naw I doubt that. Dark cloak was converted into a practical application to maintain NBs major resolve in a defensive button. The concept of dark cloak is fine and was made the way it is to serve NB tanks in pve just as much. The cost of the skill is what warrants the resolve uptime, its power balance isnt really a factor. It just needs to be more generous in its healing value for builds that dont have high amounts of health.

It doesnt need to be a burst heal though. If magblade is playing dark cloak in pvp, they are doing so to endure and play an attrition style of keeping their health afloat mid combat. Its has no business being a healing button you hammer on once you run away.

In fact, I know this might seem extreme, but I think giving shadowy disguise a small hot effect might not be that terrible. Not an extreme hot ofc but magblades having cloak to reset (when it can be relied on) and generally having the ability to stay in cloak for longer, having that heal can allow them to top off if they can escape with the added caveat that it will take time unless they want to commit more bar space to other healing effects along with it in place of more offensive tools.
  • SshadowSscale
    SshadowSscale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In defense of ZOS (something i rarely say) - They have made several huge changes to the base game in recent patches.

1. The major / minor buff changes targeted towards standardizing armor sets - this came with the side effect of having a huge impact on a number of class skills. They have promised a skill audit as a result which has yet to take place to our knowledge.
    2. CP 2.0
    3. Armor changes
    4. Weapon changes
    5. Consolidating weapon/spell critical and weapon/spell penetration into single categories

Let me make it clear that I think its completely irresponsible to update these items in a piecemeal fashion as it leaves us players whose characters may have been negatively impacted screwed for extended periods of time. But with that said, they've had these changes forecasted well in advance as coming through the pipeline. It would be putting the cart in front of the horse so to speak to make large class balance changes first, and then having to re-do them once more post the above being finalized.

So in short - My gut is telling me that they would want to get the core elements of the game as listed above sorted out, with data gathered, prior to making any sweeping class changes. My hope is that this is whats happening - the only question, frustratingly, is how long do I have to wait as a paying customer.

Problem is that magblades has been gutted long before these changes.... and I don't think at this point we will ever see the skill audit considering zos always using lag as an excuse to push back the skill audit..... and if we ever do see the skill audit they will most likely just nerf everything again so I am not putting my hopes in the mystical skill audit to fix anything
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. CP 2.0
    3. Armor changes
    4. Weapon changes

Problem is that magblades has been gutted long before these changes.... and I don't think at this point we will ever see the skill audit considering zos always using lag as an excuse to push back the skill audit..... and if we ever do see the skill audit they will most likely just nerf everything again so I am not putting my hopes in the mystical skill audit to fix anything

SKILL AUDIT? Sounds good, what is this?
  • SshadowSscale
    SshadowSscale
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. CP 2.0
    3. Armor changes
    4. Weapon changes

SKILL AUDIT? Sounds good, what is this?

something they talked about quite some time ago but has never happened.... and I am guessing most likely will not happen..... if we do not get it with the blackwood chapter I think it's confirmed then it won't happen
  • DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭

2. CP 2.0
    3. Armor changes
    4. Weapon changes

You'll get no argument from me. I've used those same words "gutted" to describe NB skills numerous times in other posts. Probably one or two in this very thread. I just figured i'd try taking a more positive outlook for a change to see how it felt.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sahidom wrote: »

Make blur cost magicka on roll dodge. Animation may change something in to blurry dash too.

I expect both of nightblade classes to be elusive. Stamnight blade have a kit that enable use use of excesive medium armor and midigation on every meta.

Best class identity for magblades to have a rally like one time heal so they must use their brain and elusiveness to survive and magicka costing roll dodge to enable excessive roll dodge capabilities stamblades enjoy.

Changing Blur would also be fine. I agree with your other suggestions. Ambush was exported to DW skill tree, I don't see why Rally couldn't be imported to our skill tree, maybe turn that into Dark Cloak morph? I beat on Dark Cloak because it's a subpar heal.compared to other classes.
  • Sangwyne
    Sangwyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doczy wrote: »
    Hello my magblade friends. we are in agony in long time. But we need to unite. we need to show our strength to developers.

They need to learn we are not slaves, we wont accept our fate or their forces to play another class. We are paying their salary. We are paying money of little hamsters food who tries hard to power the server.

Nightblade players: We're tired of being treated like second class citizens! Give us liberty or give us death!

DK mains: ECjXp-HUIAMKt0Y.jpg

At least you guys still have your iconic invisibility, sap essence, and teleportation, DK's bread and butter skills have been reduced to dirty fingernails and the ability to cough on people.
    Dracane wrote: »
    Play the class then. It heals for 3,9k for my boyfriend with 35k health and heavy armor. Who looks at healing tooltips in pvp with battlespirit in place? Pointless.

With heavy, it heals for roughly 11,5% of your max health. It is not strong at all. Honor the dead heals for 5,5k with the same gear and stats as we tested last night. That also refunds almost all its cost. And here you are complaining about arctic wind.

Um, what? Arctic Blast is literally one of the strongest burst heals in the game, healing for 25% of your Maximum health instantly and even more over a 5s duration. Even Green Dragon Blood, a great heal for tanks scaling off missing %HP, only heals as much in the initial heal as Arctic Blast when you are at 25% of your HP or below (execute range), and doesn't heal any further like Arctic Blast does.
    Dracane wrote: »
    I meant to criticize that you use arctic wind as a comparison to cloak. Even though arctic wind is not even that great as a heal compared to many other heals in existence. It's a fancy ability with everything it does, but the burst heal is absurdly pathetic in reality.

Arctic Blast may possibly be the most overtuned non-ultimate skill there is. The Arctic Blast morph reduces the Magicka cost from 4320 down to 4050 compared to the other morph Polar Wind, grants 25% max HP instantly in a burst, 15% max HP over 5 seconds as a heal over time, on top of applying an AOE Frost DOT to everything around you with 300% the normal chance to debuff with Chill, Minor Maim for 5% reduced damage, Minor Brittle for 10% increased critical damage taken, and applying Glacial Presence for an additional 10% critical damage and healing, ON TOP of being an unblockable, AOE 4 second stun. In one button press. How do you even compete with that? It's literally just a swiss army knife in a can, it does it all and shines your shoes too.
    Edited by Sangwyne on March 5, 2021 2:54AM
  • Maggusemm
    Maggusemm
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka Nightblade is in very good shape for both PVP and PVE in the next patch.
  • TheCaptainJosh
    TheCaptainJosh
    ✭✭✭
    Maggusemm wrote: »
    Magicka Nightblade is in very good shape for both PVP and PVE in the next patch.

PVE, sure but PVP?

giphy.gif
    AugustusGray
    PC NA