The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How important are race passives to you when creating characters?

• preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other ( for you special other choosers ;) )
    Speaking for PvE

For high-achievers, leaderboard-seekers, a good mach between race and build is important.

For DPS in general, picking thewrong race will amper you a bit, but you'll still do fair enough damage if you're skilled enough - it'll be noticeable, though. (as long as you are not one of the above)

For heal and tanks, I feel like it's less important, as skill and knoweledge of mechanics + gear represent alsmost 100% of your efficiency.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Neutral
    I'm a lore-nerd gal, so the traits and culture of the races matters to me, and their passives usually relate to that.

I didn't make my High Elf a Magplar for the 5% bonus, but because I was looking for that authentic High Elf Experience (tm). Same with my Wood Elf Bowden, and my Orc StamDK. That doesn't mean that roleplay-wise an antitypical race/char combo (like a pickpocketing High Elf brawler) wouldn't be just as or even more exciting, but if you only have 1 or 2 chars per race, doubling down on what that race has to offer can yield the most out of the story beats and interactions that you have with the world. So most of my characters ended up with BiS builds for their race incidentally, not on purpose.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral
    I would pick a little importsnt but that is not an option. Depends also what you do with it. For Tank, race is not important as all racial passives benefits the tank someway. For a healer, picking a magicka oriented race is helpful, but it is not necessary and any content can be done with any race.
    For DD char, the race is most important as the difference between Meta and "worst pick" is noticeable and affect more than just your personal experience of the content difficulty.
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    Important. I always buy a race change if I change my character from stamina to magica or from magica to stamina.
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • Unij
    Unij
    ✭✭✭
    Neutral
    I prefer Imperials for the extra Gold from crafting Daylies :smiley: but besides of that race is only important for the look. I mean I play Redguard and Nord as Magicka Chars, and don't feel any differences to other races.
    Main char is a Strong Nord Man, Thief, Vampire, Healer, Mastercrafter. PC-EU since 2016.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neutral
    Mildly.
    I tend to adhere to the magicka-stamina divide of the racial spectrum (luckily, I tend to play Dunmer, so it doesn't really matter) but not much more than that.
    Edited by Varana on January 3, 2021 9:52PM
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    Important of course :) i mainly play bretons and bosmer. Breton for passives, bosmer for... some passives. I just like the way they look, my deadly assassin girls. It's a racial passive ;)
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted an Altmer hybrid Vampire Necromancer (a child of Summerset fallen from grace) so I made one.

I wanted a Redgaurd hybrid Dragon Knight (a sword dancing master of flames) so I made one.

I wanted a Breton hybrid Templar that mains as a tank (a Ravenwatch Vampire from the Montclair family) so I made one.

Race is important to me because I play actual characters, not just stats. It's important to me also to not stick strictly within a box and make something close to what Elder Scrolls roleplaying has been about to me for so long. I do the best I can in PVE and PVP but not at the expense of my character. If you want to teabag me in PVP because I'm not on your META level, so be it.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not important
    I play a race because I want my character to be that race, being a roleplayer and more a casual. Not as important for me.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    Nord is just so strong for pvp. Pve I dont really care cause I know ill never break a 65k dps parse anyway
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not important
    For me: Completely unimportant, as long as I get along with them (and I didn't have any problems yet). I create my chars according to the backstory I have for them. Story and name come first, char creation afterwards.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    But not as much as aesthetics:

-All my Mag are Bretons
    - All my Stam are (soft featured) Redguard
    - All my tanks are nords
  • NEMESIS_97
    NEMESIS_97
    ✭✭✭
    Important
    Glurin wrote: »
    Really more borderline not important than neutral. They add a touch of spice to a character, but that's all. They do not and should not dictate everything about that character. Min/Maxing is the one and only place where passives play a crucial role, and frankly I find that kind of playstyle rather dull and shallow.

It's an RPG. The first thing on your mind should be the character, not which combination of stats will provide the maximum possible DPS output.

Use polymorphs to hide whatever my char look and use their meta passives...and its easy to choose..pve stamdd orc..pve magdd altmer..healers either argonians/bretons/altmers...tanks..argonians/nords/bretons..pvp dunmer..rest are trash
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not important
    Basically all my character races are subpar for what I do with them. Style over Min Max.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral
    I go for character concept first, but sometimes the race works out. And sometimes it doesn't.

It's how I ended up with a bosmer magplar and a redguard stamplar.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral
    I match Magicka classes to Magicka leaning races, and Stamina classes to Stamina leaning races, but that's about it. I don't mind using a more either/or race either. My Magicka Warden is a Dunmer, for example.

If I played at high end seriously I'd go with the meta. At that level min/max'ing would matter.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    It's still important --> if you care about min maxing.

No matter what people say, when they re-balanced racials, despite them not being as bad as before, they are still far from balanced. (Even changes they've made to item sets like new moons prove that high elf and orc damage bonuses should be much lower than they are to balance them to races that get sustain bonuses). In PvE in can be a considerable advantage in sweaty groups to getting in the top damage slots if you care, but in PvP racial choices can matter more in relation to your overall build and what you are trying to accomplish.

The good news is that everything is do-able, even hard mode vet dungeons and trials in any race and class and a variety of decent gear if you are on a team that isn't sweating you over how min maxed you are. But yes, it will be less efficient and all other things being equal you'll always be behind performance of someone in a min maxed race. But your own skills will make a bigger difference.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral
    Kinda. I like to pick one that is at least competitive for the role I'm going for. For example, Orcs are the best for stam DPS but I have more Redguards because I like them more.
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Racial passives are racist. The notion that one race is better suited to a certain type of task over another is racist.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not important
    linuxlady wrote: »
    Racial passives are racist. The notion that one race is better suited to a certain type of task over another is racist.

You are not completely wrong. But certain passives are based in the lore, that Argonian are biologically more resistant to poisons for example. Though for some reason its now disease damage, they used to have both but instead gave poison resistance to Bosmers. As well, is it not tied to the lore, that certain races are not as good at wielding magic as others?
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not important
    Since I always choose Orc for my characters, aligning passives to a class or build doesn't matter to me. I don't have to squeeze out 100% efficiency to have my fun.
          In verity.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Important
    I'm not going to derp myself
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IMO race should be a purely cosmetic change. Passives, if wanted, can be excused as birthsigns or whatever. But because it's not so in this game I either choose suboptimal race or a race I would not pick othervise and live with it. I do not care too much of appearances and even less about minmaxing so its not a big deal.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not important
    How important are race passives for you when creating a new character? For me it’s not that important but I can’t help feeling that I’m hindering myself when not picking the meta race. I understand for the large majority of gameplay it doesn’t matter but it’s always in the back of my mind. Personally, I wish there were no racial passives and diversity was shown through different (yet similar) racial skills. I think we’d see a lot more diversity in races.

Also, why does it seem some races get obvious superior racial passives compared to others? I’m looking at you Bretons.

Not very important. They are a miniscule boost in the grand scheme of things.

I say that as an end game guild tank, using Bretons and Wood Elves as tanks, and a Dark Elf healer.
    Edited by amm7sb14_ESO on January 5, 2021 5:13AM
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not important
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    I like to do what I want, but if I was to bring a stam altmer into a vet trial, I would be either mocked at or kicked.

So the meta would need to be shifted or more flexible for people not to care...

You just need to find a group of people that don't care, because a stam Altmer can absolutely work in a vet trial.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    they were stated to be a "set and a half" balance wise by the devs

so how important do you find some sets to a build?

exactly

especially as they are equally as heavily weighted to specific builds such as tank, magicka, stamina, etc.

the people saying "not important" the same ones that wear hundings rage as a magicka healer.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    Important because I don't want my character to be unnecessarily weak, even though I don't follow the 'meta' either.
    Basically, I just like my characters to not have to struggle too much while questing (or doing whatever).
  • deleted220717-003304
    Not important
    I picked "not important" because character concept and role playing is everything for me in character creation. That said, it sure is nice when the racial passives are actually useful to the style I play. It adds a level of fun and immersion. But if I'm going to make a Wood Elf mage, then that's what I'm doing, regardless of the passives.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neutral
    Not really important but i do pick a race that is at least a little bit supportive to what im trying to do
    For exemple if it as a max stamina or stamina regen passive, it get a ok for stam dps even if its a single passive
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    Important
    For PVP very important to me. PVE alts are for fun.