Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why the hell crown sales doesn't affect crown to gold rates. It's still too high

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    and btw does anyone actually buy crowns for 400+ ? that price is insane just ask a friend or someone from the guild i never bought over 300 - normaly 250 and sometimes even 125-150 but never 400
    The current price is fairly new and it is just about double what it usually is. That's why this post exists, I imagine. We're all "wtf'ing" this new, entirely untenable, cost to do business. :relieved:

It’s steep, but I paid the 450 rate earlier this week. Needed a 3000 crown race change to finish building an old neglected character, and the options were 1.35 mil gold, or $25 of real money. Easy decision.

Obviously it would be nice to see rates of 200 gold per crown again, but I don’t think this is a crown price issue, gold just isn’t worth as much anymore.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, it shouldn't be an issue to complain about. Crowns are bought with real money and you're basically getting them for fake money, aka for free. Let crown sellers price them as they please regardless of if there's a sale or not, you're still getting to pay fake money for something real money bought.

Not how it works. You are buying time people spent to make that gold.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, crowns are still way too cheap for what I personally, would be willing to sell them for. When they announced it, I was fully expecting 1000+ per crown. (I was shocked when it dropped to about 100:1 on PC/NA a while back, until I found out it was due to an exploit)

I live in an area in the US with quite a low cost of living (and consequently a lower income). I live comfortably, but don't have the means to be spending $30 + regularly on items from the crown store, I simply don't have that kind of disposable income. I'm perfectly fine with the subscription as I consider that to be the cost of playing, and since this is my main game I play the $15 a month I spend for ESO+ is very much worth it. I'm thankful to be able to buy items for gold at almost any cost.

Now, somebody who lives on the coasts, even with their high cost of living. If they're making $150k a year (which is probably the same standard of living that I have where I'm at, the $90 to buy a 21k pack of crowns (on sale) is much more manageable than me doing the same, since the price of crowns are not adjusted to the standard of living.

From the research I've done, the US has one of the greatest disparities in this cost of living across the nation (due to a variety of circumstances), so for some of us the crowns are much more "expensive"

I can literally print gold in this game for free (aside from my subscription) through doing writs (free time is something I do have in higher abundance), so I would expect people to be compensated for their real life money that they're spending on crowns.

I think it's pretty selfish to ask people to take a discount on real money purchases to trade for your fake in-game currency.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Oathsworn - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    66,110 achievement points
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow wrote: »
    On the exchange discord I'm in (WCE) the rate is still the same around 400-450 gold per crowns. The same price before there's sales.

I guess no akaviri crates for me this christmas

A single crate is 400 crowns. At the high end you quote that's 180,000 gold. That can be roughly generated by doing all 7 writs on 18 characters for 2 days. Today is still Dec 23rd by my calendar, (2 hours till roll over on NA). Get on it OP and make your Christmas dreams come true.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • ZamanShah
    ZamanShah
    ✭✭
    I bought crowns recently for a rate of 270:1 and 300:1.
    How? INGAME!
    I would never buy crowns on discord or anyone that applies discord prices to ingame prices.

I would never go above 300:1. I blame the buyers for this rediculous rate inflation. And only a fool will have you believe rates will come down after crowns sales. They only way to brig these rates back down is to simply negotiate and or find cheaper buyers.
    I remember the rates in last febuary was 250:1
    Then it shot up to 300:1
    And its been going up since then, regardless of the many crown sales come and gone. By next year the rate will go uo to 1000:1 i kid you not.
    Stop buying from discord. Simple. Find ingame buyers.
    Dont give in to silly rates, farming for gold hasnt got easier where we can dish out double, triple or quadruple rates.
    This is as honest advice one can probably give you. Dont expect zos to intervene and they shouldnt need to. You have the gold and are equally capable of bringing rates down by not buying at current discord (700:1) rates.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    ...... (I was shocked when it dropped to about 100:1 on PC/NA a while back, until I found out it was due to an exploit)

Thanks god it was an exploit... The whole time I thought it was people using the Stimulus checks they got from governments to cash into gold.

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would think the supply being low for crowns is due to real world economy being weaker. Most people are worse off financially and don’t have the extra income to splurge on video game items. Even if they do, they may only have enough for personal use and not extra to sell.

Plus, ZOS it seems is releasing more and more crown items at a higher price than before. Not factual information to back my claim up so I could be completely wrong about it. Money is tighter in real life so tighter in game only make sense especially during the holidays.

Stay safe and have a Merry Christmas :)
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZamanShah wrote: »
    How? INGAME!
    I would never buy crowns on discord or anyone that applies discord prices to ingame prices.

I would never go above 300:1. I blame the buyers for this rediculous rate inflation. And only a fool will have you believe rates will come down after crowns sales. They only way to brig these rates back down is to simply negotiate and or find cheaper buyers.
    And its been going up since then, regardless of the many crown sales come and gone. By next year the rate will go uo to 1000:1 i kid you not.
    Dont give in to silly rates, farming for gold hasnt got easier where we can dish out double, triple or quadruple rates.
    This is as honest advice one can probably give you. Dont expect zos to intervene and they shouldnt need to. You have the gold and are equally capable of bringing rates down by not buying at current discord (700:1) rates.

I'd rather buy through discord or an escrow service and be guaranteed a safe fast transaction, then risk getting nothing by buying from random in game advertising. not every cheaper seller is a scammer, but the risk is still too high.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZamanShah wrote: »
    How? INGAME!

Gifting houses happened shortly after really popular crates. That greatly increased the demand for crowns.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Linaleah wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    BTW, Zos should develop an official mechanism for trading crowns, but it will not, and should not, be regulated by them. Nothing else in the economy is regulated by Big Bother Zos.

What they should do is eliminate the trading via the crown store, no more gifting. Then make it so what we actually buy is a token that can be traded or listed on a trader. Being able to list it on a trader would eliminate the risky part of trading.

They don't even need to use a token. Just make crowns an item you can list on the guild traders. That's what one mmo I played did the equivalent of, though they had an auction house system.

I prefer how SWTOR did it, which was via tokens. It worked great as it also meant crate items could be sold or traded. My guess is more people will like my idea as they can trade their mounts that dropped from crates.

They just made the crate items tradeable too in that other game. You could just list them in the auction house. Made it very straightforward. Cut's out trying to work out conversion. It was a wildly p2w game but literally everything could be purchased with coin directly.

I... would not call it pay to win. unless it has become one recently and I somehow missed actual powerful gameplay items being sold in cash shop that cannot be earned in game - its not pay to win. the closest thing to a pay to win were character boosts and given how fast it is to hit max level in SWTOR and that those character boosts did NOT unlock any of the datacrons, did NOT count towards legacy class unlocks etc - I don't see how its pay to win at all. its microtransaction hell and it absolutely lies about subscription being optional, but subscription is not pay to win - its pay to play.

I was talking about PWI not SWTOR. It was very p2w, but they justified that by pointing out that you could buy literally anything with coin. And they weren't wrong. You could buy anything with coin. As ZOS doesn't put power in the cash shop, that would be a non-issue in this game.

oh, I stand corrected. and yeah, Neverwinter is the same. not coincidentally - ran by the same company, whadaya know...

Eh, Neverwinter (and Star Trek Online, and Champions) are from Cryptic. Which, yeah, is owned by Perfect World. I think they had currency exchanges (trade an in-game currency for cash-shop currency) before PW bought them, though.
    The way it works in STO (the game I play) is that there's two basic in-game currencies - Credits, that you can farm infinitely and is used on the auction house; and Dilithium, which you can only 'refine' 8000 each day per character. Dil is used for a variety of more important things than Credits, and is also the currency you can exchange for Zen (Crowns).

The Dilithium Exchange is a separate market with it's own interface, and the exchange rate is limited to a range between 50 & 500 Dil to 1 Zen. The rate has gone up & down over the years, as demand for the two currencies has fluctuated, and the devs can try to effect it by what things they put into the game (give players more reason to want Dil, the exchange rate goes down; give them more reason to want Zen, it goes up.) In the ~8 years I've played, I've seen it as low as 88, and as high as 480. It's been mostly high for the last few years; many of the things that require large amounts of Dilithium (guild Starbases, etc) are finished by the current players, and the devs haven't been able to come up with lasting Dil sinks.

(what I remember of Neverwinter's version of the same thing is that it is much less balanced, in big part because they made the Auction House also run on the local equivalent of Dil, Astral Diamonds. So auction wheeler-dealers can amass huge quantities of the currency, far beyond any daily per-character limits.)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on December 24, 2020 12:41PM
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    400 gold per crown? Lmaoo have fun with that. I can barely get people to buy crowns for 150 per on PS4 NA. 100 per is the standard. 400 per crown would never sell on PS.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    ImSoPro wrote: »
    400 gold per crown? Lmaoo have fun with that. I can barely get people to buy crowns for 150 per on PS4 NA. 100 per is the standard. 400 per crown would never sell on PS.

100 per is like throwing money in the fire lol
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It goes further here though, because prices are pretty much lower on many items than on PC. I am surprised it's that low though I remember when it was more expensive when it first came out. Prices stabilized lower rather than higher.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 24, 2020 3:11PM
  • hexnotic
    hexnotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Selling crowns for gold at 100-200:1 is such a rip off for the seller if they are purchasing the crowns at full price. I'm happy to see that the rate has increased, because a couple of months ago it was way too low.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It goes further here though, because prices are pretty much lower on many items than on PC. I am surprised it's that low though I remember when it was more expensive when it first came out. Prices stabilized lower rather than higher.

I think cash shop spending is fairly common on console and thus considered less valuable. You can thank companies like EA for that.
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, crowns are still way too cheap for what I personally, would be willing to sell them for. When they announced it, I was fully expecting 1000+ per crown. (I was shocked when it dropped to about 100:1 on PC/NA a while back, until I found out it was due to an exploit)

I live in an area in the US with quite a low cost of living (and consequently a lower income). I live comfortably, but don't have the means to be spending $30 + regularly on items from the crown store, I simply don't have that kind of disposable income. I'm perfectly fine with the subscription as I consider that to be the cost of playing, and since this is my main game I play the $15 a month I spend for ESO+ is very much worth it. I'm thankful to be able to buy items for gold at almost any cost.

Now, somebody who lives on the coasts, even with their high cost of living. If they're making $150k a year (which is probably the same standard of living that I have where I'm at, the $90 to buy a 21k pack of crowns (on sale) is much more manageable than me doing the same, since the price of crowns are not adjusted to the standard of living.

From the research I've done, the US has one of the greatest disparities in this cost of living across the nation (due to a variety of circumstances), so for some of us the crowns are much more "expensive"

I can literally print gold in this game for free (aside from my subscription) through doing writs (free time is something I do have in higher abundance), so I would expect people to be compensated for their real life money that they're spending on crowns.

I think it's pretty selfish to ask people to take a discount on real money purchases to trade for your fake in-game currency.

Thats not exactly how it works. If you live in high cost of living area, UNLESS you make 150K+ you will feel poor. And people living in SF or NY don't automatically make 150K.

I have never subbed and have purchased all the xpacs with gold. I bought the Gold Edition w/ Wrothgar xpac, and more recently Skyrim on sale. I have access to everything in the game for around $60 spent over a few years.

People who sub for a long time already have everything they need and have a surplus of crowns.

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ImmortalCX wrote: »

Thats not exactly how it works. If you live in high cost of living area, UNLESS you make 150K+ you will feel poor. And people living in SF or NY don't automatically make 150K.

I have never subbed and have purchased all the xpacs with gold. I bought the Gold Edition w/ Wrothgar xpac, and more recently Skyrim on sale. I have access to everything in the game for around $60 spent over a few years.

People who sub for a long time already have everything they need and have a surplus of crowns.

where did I say they "automatically make 150K"

I was using it as an example. I'm fully aware that there are people living in those areas who don't make that much money.

I was merely saying that $90 to somebody making $150k a year is a lot different than $90 to somebody making $40k a year, even though their standard of living is the same because of living in different parts of the country...
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Oathsworn - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    66,110 achievement points
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    I find it funny that the exchange rates are 5 times higher on PC (500 to 1) than on PS network (100 to 1).

Makes one think that maybe add-ons that help search prices on all traders does make a big difference in the amount of gold that players have.

Stay safe and have fun :)

Was just gonna say this hell ps4 they fluxing on the 90g-100g ea too low for me to bother selling em

Yeah, I stopped selling them too. 100g per crown is right in the "more money than sense" bracket. I'm not greedy, but i value my money more than that nonsense. Doesn't help that on consoles you get a lot of people with no dog in the race happy to sell other folks crowns without anyone asking or wanting them to. They appoint themselves as some sort of middleman. The ones that pipe up accusing folk of trying to screw over others if they have the audacity to want even 120g per crown. You never see those people selling. They're usually the same ones who shame others into accepting lowball offers for their in game goods too. Then you go to a guild trader and see the shamer listing items at their top end.

TL;DR Folk are always good when it comes to spending other folks rl cash or in game items.
    Edited by Prof_Bawbag on December 24, 2020 5:21PM
  • Megatto
    Megatto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you even want to buy the loot boxes?
    Remove loot boxes or riot
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Megatto wrote: »
    Why do you even want to buy the loot boxes?

i just want that potentate bear mount
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I would agree.

I have the disposable cash and make enough to pay to save time, but even the higher rates of gold per Crowns seem too much for how easily I can make gold (if I want to) by running crafting on 22 or so alts. Why sell stuff I had to pay money for.

I do tend to buy a pack or two during sales and have plenty of Crowns piled up, but even 400 or 1000 gold per Crown is far too cheap for them in my mind.

hexnotic wrote: »
    Selling crowns for gold at 100-200:1 is such a rip off for the seller if they are purchasing the crowns at full price. I'm happy to see that the rate has increased, because a couple of months ago it was way too low.

It is a rip off even with discounted Crown costs, at least in my view. It is why I have not sold a single Crown.

That could be why some cannot find them for sale when they want them....
    WiseSky wrote: »
    ...... (I was shocked when it dropped to about 100:1 on PC/NA a while back, until I found out it was due to an exploit)

Thanks god it was an exploit... The whole time I thought it was people using the Stimulus checks they got from governments to cash into gold.

I am sure some did. All people don't really think things through well, which is why you will always have disparate holdings, in game and outside the game.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Ateena
    Ateena
    Soul Shriven
    Crowns sale doesn't constitute lower rates. if you see that the chat, demand is clearly up as well.
    And in any case it should be even higher, at least 1:600 on EU, anything below is almost like a gifting.
    Also if Zenimax were competent enough they would build exchange system like in Guild Wars 2
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ateena wrote: »
    Crowns sale doesn't constitute lower rates. if you see that the chat, demand is clearly up as well.
    And in any case it should be even higher, at least 1:600 on EU, anything below is almost like a gifting.
    Also if Zenimax were competent enough they would build exchange system like in Guild Wars 2

it IS between 600 and 700 on EU. US rates in pc tend to be about 200 gold bellow EU ones.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • sjean73
    sjean73
    well i bought 21k crown, but i have to wait 30 days to gift...
    so guessing people that are selling right now didnt buy them in special
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sjean73 wrote: »
    well i bought 21k crown, but i have to wait 30 days to gift...
    so guessing people that are selling right now didnt buy them in special

you only have to wait for 30 days when its your first purchase (which doesn't have to be a crown pack, subscription also qualifies). you don't have to wait 30 days after each and every time.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • GLP323b14_ESO
    GLP323b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    [
    It’s steep, but I paid the 450 rate earlier this week.

You were robbed if you paid 450 per crown.
    PC/NA @GP323
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [

[

I don't buy or sell, but my guild mates that do buy have told me 350-450 is normal price. PC it is more expensive as it has less of an accepted loot box culture. Console loot boxes are common place, this is why I believe there is a massive price difference.
    Edited by relentless_turnip on December 25, 2020 2:22PM
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    i play and buy often crowns everythink above 300 is to expensive and isnt worth buying
    and price was for very long 300 dont know why it should have changed
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The drought didn't go away overnight, in fact, there was a waiting list since September.
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow wrote: »
    On the exchange discord I'm in (WCE) the rate is still the same around 400-450 gold per crowns. The same price before there's sales.

I guess no akaviri crates for me this christmas
    754569478099959808.gif

Find a better crown seller maybe?
    Mine sells at 100 gold per crown(but only sell to guild member tough) i play on ps4 if it change anything

i wish i could get that price on pc na
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.