The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you like Bar Swapping

spartaxoxo
spartaxoxo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
In combat, do you like swapping bars to access different sets of skills? Or would you prefer to access those skills some other way or not at all?

Do you like Bar Swapping 290 votes

Yes. I like Bar Swapping
65%
SirAndydaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOMurderMostFoulAlendrinsmdalyb14_ESOssewallb14_ESOLisawenchmore420b14_ESOjonathanb16_ESODracaneMahabahabthaGoburAstridLeglessUKDanikatRikumarustevenyaub16_ESOKhenarthizariaDaviiid_ESO 189 votes
No. I dislike bar swapping and would prefer both bars be available at all times
16%
balthasars_darksideb16_ESOCoatmagicZephiran23EdaphonSheridanStreegatplink3r1HymzirHoosierPappytwevBouldercleaveBoGyeszCameron_VayleDrScott59NyladreasGiantFruitFlyDrathlyphileunderx2carthalisforztr2 48 votes
No. I dislike bar swapping and would prefer we only had one set of skills
9%
laurajfKsariyuasuitandtyb14_ESONebthet78NettleCarrierOlauronZomZomAsysSilverBrideangrydrewmarlonbrandoSarannahparpinAustackerArchMikemPuzzlenutsold_scopie1945vestahlsbrimstone74Yellow_Monolith 28 votes
No. I dislike bar swapping and would make a different system entirely (please elaborate in comments)
4%
ne.ga.kurai_ESOGilvothBelegnoleMindcr0wForsakenSinLady_LindelColecovisionrpaBXR_LonestarAndre_NoirStamPlar_1976Taggund 12 votes
I don't know
4%
tohopka_esoMuizerJacen_VeronMinyassaHalvarIronfistMichaeJayrooVanathilCirantilleealdwinWySoSiriustechyeshicViewsfrom6ix 13 votes
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    I'm in Console , so I like Bar Swapping lol .
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    ccfeeling wrote: »

Same here! But I saw an interesting argument about it and was like...I never really thought about bar swapping before
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. I dislike bar swapping and would make a different system entirely (please elaborate in comments)
    I don't like bar swapping per se, but I also don't have any better ideas as to how to open up 12+ skills on consoles so I don't really complain about it either.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I don't like it. But none of your options fit my situations, so sorry - "Other" (which is NOT "I don't know"....)

I have only satellite for connection. Bar swapping is not a good fit with satellite. So yeah, I don't bar swap. This game's combat is.... unimaginably awkward for someone who has only sat for connection.

Love the game. Hate the combat. So therefore, I do as little combat as necessary.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    No. I don't like it. But none of your options fit my situations, so sorry - "Other" (which is NOT "I don't know"....)

There's an option for other @Sylvermynx You would use an unspecified different system that requires elaboration in the comments
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 30, 2020 3:17AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

There's an option for other @Sylvermynx You would use an unspecified different system that requires elaboration in the comments

*snort* Nope, that's not an option - as I have NO IDEA about some "unspecified different system". Sheesh. I literally cannot use bar swapping, and for my situation I HAVE NO CLUE what could be done to fix it.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dislike bar swapping because it fails too often. I'd prefer to have one bar of 8-10 skills or have both bars available but that would require redesign because passives from slotted skills, ultimates and how sorc pets work and whatever.
    Edited by rpa on November 30, 2020 3:33AM
  • Tremuto
    Tremuto
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    Which option do I choose when I like bar swapping, but don't like it when I cast Endless Hail and I can't swap bars for 3 seconds?
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping

*snort* Nope, that's not an option - as I have NO IDEA about some "unspecified different system". Sheesh. I literally cannot use bar swapping, and for my situation I HAVE NO CLUE what could be done to fix it.

I mean "I don't know what the different system should be, but I know we need a different one" still fits under "We need a different one imo"

I cannot possibly account for every reason someone will not specify, which is why that one states that you need to go into the comment section as well to elaborate.

But if you don't feel like it accomodates your response, that's fine. I strongly disagree because everytime you've explained your stance it still fits that choice but it's just a silly internet poll, not a big deal.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    Tremuto wrote: »
    Which option do I choose when I like bar swapping, but don't like it when I cast Endless Hail and I can't swap bars for 3 seconds?

"I Like bar swapping."

Because that's not a problem with the system; it's a problem with ZOS having way too many bugs in their game and the perfomance being an absolute freaking mess rn.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    Bar swapping is quite fun to play with to be honest...

Prerequisite: no bug, no delay, no malfunctioning of bat swapping.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know
    Haven’t really given it much thought, tbh.

Most of the time, I’m just soloing content, and tend to have most of my offensive abilities on the front bar, with maybe an extra AoE or DoT on the back bar with the defensive skills. My PVP setups are pretty much the same, with the back bar mainly for defense. Only time I do group content is as healer, where there’s a bit more flexibility regarding when I swap (eg. not a rigid rotation).

Maybe if I could find a better keybind I’d like it more. So far I haven’t found something other than the tilde that feels right.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    Yes! But other as I'd add some addon functionality into the base game;
    • Better DoT duration timers after you swap bars as I don't know how console folks deal with their DoTs being thrown in that huge conga line. Something a little less intrusive, but easy to read at a glance (though if it's not an eyesore for the majority, we can count that out).
    • Spell/Weapon damage that can be toggled in your settings (On/Off and Weapon Damage/Spell Damage/Both). Again, something less intrusive, but easy to read at a glance.
    • Optional Weapon Enchantment/Poison charge indicators (optional meaning those indicators can be turned on and off as well).
    • Maybe an option of showing both sets of weapons on our characters because where on Nirn are you pulling that greatsword from after you get done with your bow and did you put that in the same place? Not a requirement, but it's just disconcerting sometimes.

I'm sure there's others, but those are the main ones that I can think of. I feel for those on console who have to stare at that eyesore of a huge long line of buffs and DoTs going out, where as the UI with that could just be so much more crisper. :( Other than that, barswap is pretty much a necessity and I like that mechanic.
    Edited by Sephyr on November 30, 2020 6:47AM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    Just wish we had a few more skill slots on each bar, instead of 1-5 have 1-9, don't want the entire bottom of the screen covered in skill slots though like other MMO's tend to do.

If they can't manage that I would settle for longer buff and damage over time durations, they want us to bar swap and apply buffs etc.. be nice if we don't have to swap back again right away because its run out after using a few skills on the main bar.

Be nice if they included Action duration reminder add on as part of the games UI as well something you can select in setting for those that don't want it are able to turn it off.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like the OPTION to slot permanent toggle skills on the back bar at the cost of those skills offering reduced effectiveness. This would give struggling players some use out of those back bar skills if they aren't great at maintaining their rotation, but someone who is bar-swapping and activating those skills would have a significant advantage of those skills at full effectiveness.

This OPTION would help a lot of players who struggle to manage all 10 of their buttons, so it would raise the floor by giving those wasted skill slots a little value, yet it would keep the ceiling where it is because the idea would be to balance it so it's worth more to swap and activate the skills.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know
    It's an odd question for me personally because while I have had no trouble with bar swapping for years, I recently tried a couple of one-bar builds and they're *wonderful*. I have pretty severe spinal issues that affect my arms and hands at times, and the more movement in general that I have to do (especially thumb movements, so a gaming mouse did not help) the more tiring and painful extended play is for me. For a long time I was not able to even to a full dungeon without being physically wiped out and in a lot of pain afterward. The two one-bar builds I've been playing with are AMAZING, I'm able to do multiple dungeons again, or trials, without it hurting me. So just from that standpoint I really like the one-bar builds. Niche interest, I'm sure.
  • HalvarIronfist
    HalvarIronfist
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know
    It doesn't work half the time in PVP, so I don't know if I like it or not.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like bar swapping even if I went to pc I’d still be using a controller.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know
    I dont notice it to like or dislike it

It is just how it works
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hate bar swapping. Why can't I just have all my skills visible on one bar? I guess it's just for the convenience of console players.
    But I hate it, I wish we didn't have it on PC at least.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    vestahls wrote: »
    I really hate bar swapping. Why can't I just have all my skills visible on one bar? I guess it's just for the convenience of console players.

BC ESO has a weapon based combat system like gw2. It wouldn't make sense at all to have the backbar weapon skills on the front at as well.
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    the only thing I dont like about it is that your stats can vary too much between bars and this is known to cause some bugs (suddenly your skills dont fire and you lose your stamina, even though you are trying to fire magicka skill).
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »

BC ESO has a weapon based combat system like gw2. It wouldn't make sense at all to have the backbar weapon skills on the front at as well.

I have way more skills available in GW2, not just 5 + ulti.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    In combat, do you like swapping bars to access different sets of skills? Or would you prefer to access those skills some other way or not at all?

When you manage to come up with a way for console players to have both bars available all the time without switching, do let me know.
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »

Same here! But I saw an interesting argument about it and was like...I never really thought about bar swapping before

Perhaps you should elaborate on that in your initial post, rather than the system of 3 "No" responses, 1 "Yes" response, and 1 response which does not even tie into polls. It should have just been a simple "Yes", "No", and "Other" with the replies to the thread filling in the ideas or details of the individual's view- that's how a non-bias poll works.

As far as my response to the thread:
    I enjoy having two weapon styles available to me, but let's think of how would this work if we went to a 1-bar system.

Would we still be able to use two weapon styles?
    If not, then the game we're talking about is no longer ESO.

Would all ability slots be available on one massive bar?
    If so, then controllers would still need a modifier button if they want to retain current functionality of the UI for quickslots, etc.

Would we still have to swap weapons to activate weapon abilities if we're able to use two weapon styles?
    If that's the case, then we really haven't removed bar swapping; now we're only catering to those that want to double slot the same weapon style.
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    I like bar swapping so much I advocate for 3rd weapon bar
    Awake, but at what cost
  • MorganaBlue
    MorganaBlue
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    Yes because LOL
  • Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭

When you manage to come up with a way for console players to have both bars available all the time without switching, do let me know.

How do they do it in FF14? I've played a litte on PC but I don't know how they manage 3 skill bars and other stuff (Chocobo skills etc) on the controller?
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • NEMESIS_97
    NEMESIS_97
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    Whats not to like there?
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I like Bar Swapping
    It's just logical. If you want to use another weapon, you have to swap it - or do your arrows suddenly come out of your two-hander?