The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should ESO make an option to turn off Mystery Meat/Mudballs, etc

PizzaCat82
PizzaCat82
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Now depending on where you are, you may not have to deal with this menace. But its a blight on our beautiful cities, rotton meat in front of every daily turn in, and quest giver, etc. Its a low-key form of harassment, and after repeated appeals to stop, the situation has only gotten worse.

Should ESO make an option to turn off Mystery Meat/Mudballs, etc 114 votes

Give players an option to Turn off PVE interactions with other players (No picking up or even seeing meats, or getting hit with balls, etc)
92%
laurajfKikazaruGilvothsithus1966_ESOBelegnoledaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOkendellking_chaosb14_ESOIruil_ESOCoatmagicaubrey.baconb16_ESODTStormfoxNebthet78ZunaRoathHamfastDaemons_BaneCloudtraderGTech_1leeuxOlauronZomZom 105 votes
Get rid of the interactions entirely
7%
SilverBrideC0L0SSUSNyladreasArchonLucienjoergingerFlaaklypaTaggundSammyKhajitAedricbutter 9 votes
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give players an option to Turn off PVE interactions with other players (No picking up or even seeing meats, or getting hit with balls, etc)
    Weird it submitted before I could put my 3rd option.. Which was going to be leave it like it is now.
    Edited by PizzaCat82 on November 26, 2020 6:23PM
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Between friends, it's fun, even funny. Random people pelting you with it, can get annoying really fast.
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Main character: Healer, CP 1300+,
    Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

History is a story written by the victors, who often paint themselves the best of lights.
  • CBixby
    CBixby
    ✭✭✭
    other: no change.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other: no change
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I get severely annoyed every time someone I don't know throws something at me.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    Other: no change
    This, its mostly amusing and is only relevant during event and a short time after.

Now to anoy people pick up an esraj.
    https://youtu.be/EBwxK4hjRB0
    Edited by zaria on November 26, 2020 7:51PM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though it's a minor issue, this should be possible

I have friends that likes to rp, and sometimes they are harassed by child-like creatures ruining their day by throwing mudball at them non-stop.

That's incredibely selfish and it's the graveyard of humor.

For this only, this should be possible to opt out.
    Edited by preevious on November 26, 2020 8:14PM
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really wish there were an option to opt out of it as well. Between friends it's fine, but it's used more often to harass horribly than it is to exchange friendly banter.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can report people who are using it to harass you.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer I would choose was not available.

The best solution would be a time-out on a target from receiving another mudball. It should be obvious Zos would not give us the ability to completely opt-out of mudballs as it would make the moment obsolete and pointless.

I have never seen the Mystery Meat be an issue. It requires the player to interact with it for anything to happen. Simply move on.

Edit: Heck, I rarely get hit by the mudball outside of the jester event.
    Edited by idk on November 26, 2020 8:45PM
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No randoms should not be able to pelt you with mudballs and I’m surprised this anti social, unfunny crap even made it into the game. Maybe if you’re friends with someone or if they’re in your group then it should be possible.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because we all know that works so well.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »

The best solution would be a time-out on a target from receiving another mudball. It should be obvious Zos would not give us the ability to completely opt-out of mudballs as it would make the moment obsolete and pointless.

I have never seen the Mystery Meat be an issue. It requires the player to interact with it for anything to happen. Simply move on.

You probably haven't gotten pranked with it then. I know quite a few people during every Jester's Festival will throw the mystery meat on interactables, including in dungeons like the pinion in WGT (it was even worse when they'd just cake it and you couldn't interact with the pinion at all). You're right that it requires the player to interact with it for anything to happen, but you can cause people to unintentionally click it on interactables. That isn't something that's new and it's been in the game for years. It happens.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with the option.
    Edited by Sephyr on November 26, 2020 8:49PM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or better yet - make then annoying ones group/friends only.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because we all know that works so well.

Not to be rude, but when ZOS doesn't change the game to let you refuse this sort of interaction, your only option is to fall back on the TOS.

Fortunately, ZOS has already commented to the effect that mudballing can be griefing, here:
    ZOS_DaryaK wrote: »
    I've seen a few in game as well, but not as many as I had expected to see (prior to knowing the outrageous overprice of them). I recently got the mud ball memento... muahahhahah mud balls for every elk rider I can catch!!!! Mud balls of my discontent.. and ridicule.. >:)

While we assume you're kidding, we want to make it clear that though we understand your feelings regarding the cost of the elk mount, taking it out on other players is not acceptable. This can be considered griefing which can lead to disciplinary action against your game account.

This one is more anecdotal, but here's a reddit post where someone got a warning for repeated mudding: https://amp.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/5ix8f0/psa_mud_balls_can_be_considered_harassment/

Now, if what you really meant was "but then I have to report the mudballer only to never find out if ZOS took action or not", then sure, I understand that frustration.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other: no change. I never even pay attention to that sort of thing.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PIE KING FEELS ATTACKED
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »

You probably haven't gotten pranked with it then. I know quite a few people during every Jester's Festival will throw the mystery meat on interactables, including in dungeons like the pinion in WGT (it was even worse when they'd just cake it and you couldn't interact with the pinion at all). You're right that it requires the player to interact with it for anything to happen, but you can cause people to unintentionally click it on interactables. That isn't something that's new and it's been in the game for years. It happens.

I mean, if someone does that in a dungeon, kick them from the group. That is not cool.

Most of the time when people use mementos on me outside of the festivals, it's guildies or friends, so I don't mind.

The Moot Councillor
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest I am not quick to interact with just anything that pops up on my screen. Especially when it clearly states it is Mystery Meat.

I would also suggest running with a more mature group if they are going to try to wipe the group in a dungeon. BTW, it has been in the game since launch. Technically before launch. Ofc, the cake has only been in the game for the or four years.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I would suggest I am not quick to interact with just anything that pops up on my screen. Especially when it clearly states it is Mystery Meat.

I would also suggest running with a more mature group if they are going to try to wipe the group in a dungeon. BTW, it has been in the game since launch. Technically before launch. Ofc, the cake has only been in the game for the or four years.

We're creatures of habit. When you go up to the crafting writ quest board, I'm sure you don't check every popup that appears. If you have 15 characters with writs to turn in, and many other things to do that day, you simply don't have the time. Same goes for the turn in, or the merchant that stands next to the quest turn in. You don't go slow around these areas because you've got a lot of quests to get through, and these areas shouldn't have any surprises.

And yet I have to constantly run, mount, and talk while doing the puking animations because "Joe Jokster" thinks its hilarious to have him and 10-15 other people completely cover the place with them, even after asking for him and his friends to stop. They even called me out personally after I asked them to quit it. If its not harassment, then nothing is.
  • Miszou
    Miszou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First world problems.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Miszou wrote: »
    First world problems.

With simple solutions. Just put in a toggle. No one's fun gets ruined unless they want it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »

We're creatures of habit. When you go up to the crafting writ quest board, I'm sure you don't check every popup that appears. If you have 15 characters with writs to turn in, and many other things to do that day, you simply don't have the time. Same goes for the turn in, or the merchant that stands next to the quest turn in. You don't go slow around these areas because you've got a lot of quests to get through, and these areas shouldn't have any surprises.

And yet I have to constantly run, mount, and talk while doing the puking animations because "Joe Jokster" thinks its hilarious to have him and 10-15 other people completely cover the place with them, even after asking for him and his friends to stop. They even called me out personally after I asked them to quit it. If its not harassment, then nothing is.

I have yet to see the mystery meat at a crafting location or the writ boards. I guess I am just lucky.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ignore them to the best of my abilities.

I've been known to throw a few mudballs myself, but only during the New Life Festival for the quest.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the interactions entirely
    Someone kept hitting me with mud because I got to a safebox before them. It was pretty childish. I'm not a fan of physical "jokes" anyway.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 27, 2020 3:10AM
    PCNA
  • Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice biased poll...
    *Eat mystery meat*
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, I'm in favor of ignoring trolls - which includes those who use stuff like mudballs etc. to excess in game. If you don't react (outside the very silly antics forced upon you - hello devs? you're all 12 year old males?) you're no fun. The 12 year olds will eventually leave you alone.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just enable a cool down that is 20min. Or more on these activities.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately there is an animation that plays when you get hit by a mudball. Your character stops, and gestures as though wiping off the mud. It is annoying enough during the festival when people are working on event quests/achievements. It is annoying enough to be harassment when it is done continuously at a crafting or outfit station.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sju wrote: »
    Nice biased poll...

You seemed to figure out the third option easy enough. Too bad we can't edit them after we create the post.