The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trading Dungeon and Trial Gear

TonyDemonLord
TonyDemonLord
✭✭✭
Would you like the ability to trade Dungeon and Trial Gear?
Xbox NA

Trading Dungeon and Trial Gear 131 votes

Yes
37%
imno007b14_ESOlolo_01b16_ESOwsmith97ub17_ESOczarEnemy-of-ColdharbourBenevolentBowdForfiniteStoriessmacx250Zer0_CooLmajulookSmitch_59CasulForsakenSinSylosiTranquilizergrkkllSwomp23Jacen_VeronWILC0Brockahly 49 votes
No
54%
saf227_ESOAstridDTStormfoxidkgongxizhirwb17_ESOadilazimdegilxJeremyAsysJohnGTandorHoushikiBlkadrAlnilamEKartalinTaleof2CitiesXuhoracyclonus11ParasaurolophusKatahdinlardvader 72 votes
Other
7%
TabbycatCaffeinatedMayhemkargen27Eiregirlpod88kkXebovzvaviSylaeEric_Princepihlaja 10 votes
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Oh boy, here we go again. This was possible at launch, and you know what? People complained about players having BiS builds without ever having run a single dungeon.

You want the gear? Do the content. Normals are easy, and unless you're in a score pushing group you don't need perfected.
    Options
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It's good enough allowing teammates to trade.
    Options
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Can't you already trade it with group members?
    Options
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Thats a question not easy to answer.

The thing is that everyone should do the content to get the gear, but content like vMA isnt nicely integrated so its a problem. Also we have loot runs that already go towards trading random gear. So logically being able to sell it wouldnt make much difference. Its hard to tell how the game would exactly change if this was possible today. It would at least require a propper analysis.
    Options
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I know that people will get upset over this opinion...but really, who cares if someone buys gear from content they never ran? Its no different than hardcore PvP players buying monster helms from The Golden. I don't care that they have never run those dungeons...doesn't affect me one little bit. In my opinion people shouldn't be forced to run content they don't like to get the gear they are looking for...they should be ENCOURAGED to run content outside of their wheelhouse, but never feel forced....if someone wants to spend all their time in PvP, or in trials, or fishing...that is all well and good and meets the philosophy of playing how you want. If some hardcore fisherman wants to buy perfected false god....what does it really matter? just opens a market for gear that would otherwise be deconned or sold.
    Options
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I do not mind this option to be implemented and it might even make me happy. But if they add this, one can get the equipment they want from other players without running the content on their own, which might lead them not to buy the content.
    I believe for this reason we will not get this in the future.
    Options
  • TonyDemonLord
    TonyDemonLord
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    josiahva wrote: »
    I know that people will get upset over this opinion...but really, who cares if someone buys gear from content they never ran? Its no different than hardcore PvP players buying monster helms from The Golden. I don't care that they have never run those dungeons...doesn't affect me one little bit. In my opinion people shouldn't be forced to run content they don't like to get the gear they are looking for...they should be ENCOURAGED to run content outside of their wheelhouse, but never feel forced....if someone wants to spend all their time in PvP, or in trials, or fishing...that is all well and good and meets the philosophy of playing how you want. If some hardcore fisherman wants to buy perfected false god....what does it really matter? just opens a market for gear that would otherwise be deconned or sold.

That’s exactly how I feel.
    Xbox NA
    Options
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    If you want the gear, prove you can even make use of it. Clear the content yourself. It’s already tradable within your group.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    josiahva wrote: »

Actually, that vendor is very different in multiple ways. First, the golden vendor offers a very limited number of items. No weapons or armor pieces outside of the monster sets and I do not believe she ever has sold trial rings. She is also a gold/AP sink.

Besides, as far as trial gear goes, if someone cannot clear the trial they really do not have much need for that gear. Seriously.

Furthermore, there is the clear and obvious intent with the design of things that if we want the gear we are to clear the content. Zos also provided a means to get BoE gear that is quite good for those unwilling or unable to clear content to get other gear.

It encourages players to run the content yet it does not force them because they can get good gear via other means. It is a fabulous design and works well.
    Options
  • TonyDemonLord
    TonyDemonLord
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If you want the gear, prove you can even make use of it. Clear the content yourself. It’s already tradable within your group.

@Contaminate But what about those people who don’t have 11 other friends to run a dungeon with? This has nothing to do with people proving themselves because what if they don’t want to grind it for hours and hours. And yes I know it’s tradable with group members but what if another person didn’t run the dungeon with you and you wanted to give them armor.
    Xbox NA
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dungeon/Trial gear went all BoP around the same time the subscription became optional. I doubt that is coincidence. Needing to run the content to get the gear is less about some kind of philosophical belief in "earning" the gear, than about incentive to subscribe to ESO+ or purchase DLCs.
    Options
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Oh boy, here we go again. This was possible at launch, and you know what? People complained about players having BiS builds without ever having run a single dungeon.

You want the gear? Do the content. Normals are easy, and unless you're in a score pushing group you don't need perfected.

Imagine that next patch they make the new BiS set drop from rewards of the worthy. And that for a reason completly absurd, they make them Bind on pickup. That’s how PVPers feel about the current system.

You want the gear? Play a game mode you loathe for a couple of days. For every toon you have. You would have the right to be pissed.

The only exception to that is sets from solo arenas, because you can’t be carried in them. It’s the only real skillcheck. They never should have made maelstrom weapons drop from nMA.

Edit: As others pointed out, it became BoP when you had to spend money to acquire said sets through subscription or dlc. So it’s not an absurd reason, it’s much worse. It’s greed. So the only way you would have BoP BiS sets only acquirable from pvp is if they would create a new pvp mode locked behind a new chapter.
    Edited by Swomp23 on October 19, 2020 11:08PM
    XBox One - NA
    Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Imagine someone in a run getting a very rare yet much needed piece of gear. We'll randomly use a Lokke dagger, for example.

Player 1 gets that drop and someone else in the run badly needs it. It's the last piece they need. Because it's so stupidly rare, the prices on the traders are absurd. Player 1 decides that, instead of giving it to one of the people that needed it, he decides to put it on a trader for 5 million.

Player 1 wouldn't even have been able to complete the trial without the other people, much less get this item which only drops from the last boss.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

But what about those people who don’t have 11 other friends to run a dungeon with? This has nothing to do with people proving themselves because what if they don’t want to grind it for hours and hours. And yes I know it’s tradable with group members but what if another person didn’t run the dungeon with you and you wanted to give them armor.

That is what guilds are for. Besides, there is not much gear that drops in trials that someone who does not run with groups would really have use for. There are a few sets in craglorn trials that are not true trial gear but you can find gear just as good that is BoE

However, to answer your question specifically, Zos has literally said if you want the gear from trials you will run the trials. It is a very clear message.
    Options
  • what_the
    what_the
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Imagine someone in a run getting a very rare yet much needed piece of gear. We'll randomly use a Lokke dagger, for example.

Player 1 gets that drop and someone else in the run badly needs it. It's the last piece they need. Because it's so stupidly rare, the prices on the traders are absurd. Player 1 decides that, instead of giving it to one of the people that needed it, he decides to put it on a trader for 5 million.
    It can still be given to the the person who needs it, or... the person that "really" needed it can buy it on a trader, no problems there...
    This would create flexible options for the person who has it in their possession, do they need gold? Maybe they don't have much $$ and they would like to buy a much needed weapon/gear on the traders, the dagger would finance that.
    Options
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It doesn't matter in the long run. When Zaans hits the golden noone will be able to tell how you acquired it.
    PvP needs more love.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Keep the market out of the trial/dungeon gear system.
    Options
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What would be the point even to wear BiS gear if you cant do the content where it drops. And what good is perfected Rele, Siroria or vMA staff if the player doesn't even weave LAs for example? BiS gear doesn't make some bow spammer in dungeons hit any higher numbers. If they hit 5k in vet dungeon is it worth for them to spend millions so they can hit 6k?

If you cant complete the content to acquire the gear then you dont need it.
    Options
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    not for group trials/dungeons but for place like maestrom arena that could be great
    those armor sets are freaking painfull to farm as it is...
    Options
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Remove normal trials -> Add Tradeable gear.
    Options
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@/Contaminate But what about those people who don’t have 11 other friends to run a dungeon with? This has nothing to do with people proving themselves because what if they don’t want to grind it for hours and hours. And yes I know it’s tradable with group members but what if another person didn’t run the dungeon with you and you wanted to give them armor.

Look, grinding is part of MMOs. It has been since the dawn of MMO history and removing the need for people the re-run content removes a good deal of the motivation to re-run dungeons.

There’s already ingame supported gold selling via crown gifting, and so if you make all dungeon and trial loot unbound, you’ve made a market where people can buy their way into BiS gear using real money without breaking any part of the ToS. I see no world in which that doesn’t spell bad news.
    Options
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Would be nice to have something else to do with my legendary perfected jewelery than just deconstructing them.
    Options
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    As much as I would like some of the trial gear I don't expect to he able to take the easy way out and Aquire it without putting in the work.
    Options
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Dungeons Yes

Trials No

My belief is that what you want to do and improve at in game should be reflected in what you do in game. You should get better at trials by doing trials. You should get better at crafting by doing crafting. You should get better at pvp by pvp. If not directly from it then by being able to acquire things you need to improve at it by buying it with resources you get from doing what you want to play and improve at.

Trials gear is fine because it generally is only of benefit to at least pve players. Yes it helps in dungeons, at least that is the same type of gameplay.

Dungeon sets however are designed to be used by all players. Not just players that want to do dungeons and improve at doing them.

Pvp sets, at least most of them, are also not specifically designed for pvp use. They can be of benefit to pve players, some are even useful to crafter and farmers. They are all bind on equip. Pve players that want to use these sets never have to set foot in pvp. So why should pvp players have to set foot in a dungeon to get sets that benefit them?

The golden is another problem for dungeons gear being bind on pick up. Dungeons gear again is designed for all players but gold dungeon jewelry is only obtainable from the golden (Outside of upgrading which is insane). The preferred method of purchasing from the golden is ap. So to purchase from the golden at least the preferred way, forces players that have no interest in pvp to pvp. However there is at least the option to buy it with gold. Pvp players dont have the option to get dungeon gear through any means but farming the dungeon.

Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swomp23 wrote: »
    Edit: As others pointed out, it became BoP when you had to spend money to acquire said sets through subscription or dlc. So it’s not an absurd reason, it’s much worse. It’s greed. So the only way you would have BoP BiS sets only acquirable from pvp is if they would create a new pvp mode locked behind a new chapter.

Granted, it's been six years at this point, but I'm pretty sure the introduction of BoP Dungeon gear came in with COA2. (Either that, or slightly before that with the introduction of Monster Sets.) Originally, most (if not all) drop sets were BoE. All of this would have been well before the release of the Imperial City, which was the first paid DLC for the game. When BoP first became a thing, ESO still had a mandatory subscription and all updates were free as part of that.
    Options
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Well you can for 2 hours and with the next patch you can make it yourself as long as you have collected the item you want at some point
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still kinda unclear what the goal is here... or at least, with the way the survey is written, the positions are unclear.

Yes? We already have that. It took years, but eventually we got the 2h trade timer between party members, and it made farming so much less painful.

No? I don't really want to go back to the era when you needed to get the drop, or you were **** out of luck. Farming back then was miserable, and there's quite a few legacy items I simply never obtained because they were such a pain.

But, in this case...

Yes = Trade with anyone? That isn't something I can get behind. Being able to trade with people in your party, to smooth out farming, is very nice, but cranking it wide open? That wouldn't encourage people to run content, it would just encourage you to pay gold to get the items you wanted.

No = what we have now, I think? Which, like I said a minute ago, isn't true, because, "No," could also be a vote to go back to the era when you had to get the drop yourself or forever hold your peace, and that was really disappointing.
    Options
  • pihlaja
    pihlaja
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Trading with the group is a good middle ground to handle this in my opinion. I mean, where do you need the dungeon and trial gear if you’re not even doing those? Overland doesn’t really require fancy gear and you can also enter the normal dungeons and trials with the easily acquirable gear and perform well enough to collect the gear you want. Yes, there is the PVP scene, but if someone there really really despises doing PVE for the gear, they always have the option to craft or pick gear which can be purchased with AP.
    Options
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's already bad enough that there is hardly an advantage to getting Veteran gear. There has to be some requirement of accomplishment to getting some gear in the game. Normal Mode dungeons and trials are so darn easy that there is no reason for such a change.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
    Options
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Player 1 wouldn't even have been able to complete the trial without the other people, much less get this item which only drops from the last boss.

This is a good point...and almost a justification, what it doesn't take into account though is the fact that Player 1 in this instance should have the CHOICE to sell it for 5 million on a guild trader if he so wishes, it is after all an absurdly rare drop in theory and he should be well compensated for his time spent. What you are effectively voting for here is to take away his free choice and make his ultra-rare drop virtually worthless unless someone else int he group is willing to pay something for it.

Now, of all people who play this game, I often don't even bother to decon overland gear, I just sell it to a vendor...but the option is there for me to actually list the stuff on a guild trader if I so chose. I completed that content, I should have the option to sell the spoils of war to other players...why are dungeons and trials different?
    Options