The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A second huge nerf to healing, yet wards go untouched?

Fawn4287
Fawn4287
✭✭✭✭✭
Wards are overall a horrible idea for PvP in this game, to allow a build with 25-30k health to effectively bring that up to 40-45k on an almost permanent basis whilst still maintaining such a high effective spell power is always going to tilt heavily in its favour, especially in 1v1 scenarios. Now healing is being nerfed again which makes all other builds that rely on these, particularly warden and dk receiving the heaviest ones effectively even harder to play again. Magsorc on the other hand which is already incredibly strong and in a good position has evaded the nerf again thanks to their healing option being double wards. Wards need an overall change and should all work like the old healing ward and give a heal up to the tool tip based on missing health, rather than being able to constantly stack and effectively doubling their health at all times.
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wards have been nerfed several times in the last few years. If you saw what wards were before the nerfs, your head would explode. They used to last 20 seconds and weren't capped by health.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karm1cOne wrote: »
    Wards have been nerfed several times in the last few years. If you saw what wards were before the nerfs, your head would explode. They used to last 20 seconds and weren't capped by health.

At one point stealth doubled damaged and allowed for 30k hit onslaught ganking that instantly refunded the ult, you could spam camo hunter to continually add damage to your next hit, poor balance in the past isn’t good reasoning for poor balance now.
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields these days are incredibly weak. I only see magsorc, magblade, and the occasional magden use them. Most people haven't had a problem deleting shield users in quite a few patches now.
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    AMeanOne wrote: »
    Shields these days are incredibly weak. I only see magsorc, magblade, and the occasional magden use them. Most people haven't had a problem deleting shield users in quite a few patches now.

Funny to hear when so often my burst is all numbers in parentheses.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not gonna argue about magsorc shields cause I don't have good perspective on that in particular, but like so many things it seems to me healing itself should be adjusted, not the healing-adjacent thing.
  • SRASinister
    SRASinister
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even use wards on my magblade anymore because how expensive they are and how little mitigation they do now. My HoTs are better for keeping me alive
    Xbox One NA: Sins of Daemons
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to be honest here, none of you may believe me or respect my opinion, but wards suck. Magsorcs are by far the easiest class to kill in pvp. They rarely ever have much more then 20k hp, low armor, and weak little wards that may keep them alive a couple seconds longer. If anything sorcs and wards could use a little boost. Quite frankly it isn't fair to them that stamina classes get to be tanky AF and deal just as much damage. I only play stamblade in pvp too, so don't be thinking I am biased in favor of sorcs, its just the truth. In the same way a grown man gains no enjoyment from beating a toddler, I too gain no enjoyment from completely dominating lil magsorcs. They need a buff.

Every day I watch magsorcs sweating their little pores out trying to kill me, only to get lit up and killed in one toxic barrage. Its sad and they used to be so dang op in the distant past. A middle ground needs to be found where they aren't as OP as ye olde magsorcs, but not free kills either like modern magsorcs. What is even more sad though is the people that actually think they are good right now, or even OP. Cringe
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to be honest here, none of you may believe me or respect my opinion, but wards suck. Magsorcs are by far the easiest class to kill in pvp. They rarely ever have much more then 20k hp, low armor, and weak little wards that may keep them alive a couple seconds longer. If anything sorcs and wards could use a little boost. Quite frankly it isn't fair to them that stamina classes get to be tanky AF and deal just as much damage. I only play stamblade in pvp too, so don't be thinking I am biased in favor of sorcs, its just the truth. In the same way a grown man gains no enjoyment from beating a toddler, I too gain no enjoyment from completely dominating lil magsorcs. They need a buff.

Every day I watch magsorcs sweating their little pores out trying to kill me, only to get lit up and killed in one toxic barrage. Its sad and they used to be so dang op in the distant past. A middle ground needs to be found where they aren't as OP as ye olde magsorcs, but not free kills either like modern magsorcs. What is even more sad though is the people that actually think they are good right now, or even OP. Cringe

Stamblade defending ward's? I smell something fishy. How is 10k health extension not impacted by defile that's able to be applied proactively, not strong? Show me some clips of free winning vs magsorcs, I'll show you how you're fighting potatos. Good sorcs don't die.
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Stamblade defending ward's? I smell something fishy. How is 10k health extension not impacted by defile that's able to be applied proactively, not strong? Show me some clips of free winning vs magsorcs, I'll show you how you're fighting potatos. Good sorcs don't die.

I simply kill them faster then they can recover with wards. How do they have 10k wards? I kill them long before I let them stack two wards at once. Seriously, 20k health with low resistance is not hard to burst down. I play strictly no cp and bgs. They seem so neutered and weak when I think back at how strong they were in the past. I struggled to kill them even with the old shieldbreaker set that did damage through shields. Maybe its a cp where they are super tanky? Everything is super tanky in cp though.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    We're literally playing Elder Stamina Online and we're trying to advocate for mag nerfs. Come on guys...
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    shiled is only strong because some spec have deadly rotation ,high offensive capabilities and other defensive skill.
    IE mag sorc have good defensive skill such as crit surge, streak, and dark conversion. they also have reliable and high tier rotation / combo to preassure back enemy.

the only possible rebalance is reduce the duration to 5 sec.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shields should have been reduced by 60% the same as healing in the last change to battle spirit. To me and maybe I am wrong but a shield is just healing in reverse.

Be safe and have fun :)
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wards WERE very strong at one point. 20 second timers, uncritable, no health cap, dumb scaling. Now they’re much weaker now that you need a crap ton of magicka or points into Bastion, only last 6 seconds, can be crit on, had their costs increased, and not to mention Battle Spirit cutting shields in half. Being unable to kill a magsorc because their only real defense is their shield does not mean shields need to be nerfed.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Sleep724
    Sleep724
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wards on magsorc seem strong because of other skills that overload their class. Mostly streak that let’s them get away and stun whenever they want while shielding up, a free insta cast high damage ability and a fire and forget execute that can be done at max range.
  • Xargas13
    Xargas13
    ✭✭✭
    Wards aren't very strong, playing magnecro and after healing nerf it's the only thing that helps me survive, if you have an issue with magsorcs, take it out on them, don't bring others into it. Call for nerf to their burst or whatever.
  • KylKad
    KylKad
    ✭✭
    Didn't read anything but the post header and first thought was why nerf game content...when will they nerf the bugs in the game 😬
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sleep724 wrote: »
    Wards on magsorc seem strong because of other skills that overload their class. Mostly streak that let’s them get away and stun whenever they want while shielding up, a free insta cast high damage ability and a fire and forget execute that can be done at max range.

Someone suggested that Fury should only work when you or an ally cause the target to cross the threshold, as a magsorc I wouldn't mind that. I don't run it anymore actually.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite part of this nerf sorc post is thinking they run between 25-30k health effectively. Try 20-25K. And a 15K shield, lol. Maybe before health scaling. 15K shield is not something that is actually realistic. Try 9K. And that 9K is if you are stacking mag to 50K+ with passive mag boosting skills like inner light and bound aegis, boosting fully into Bastion, and health with cyrodil buff is around 22-24K depending on enchants. So, 8-9K shield, but you have to basically go all out into unsustainable levels of min/max on max mag.

Now, I know it, we all know it, "But shield stacking!"

Hardened Ward Cost after passives: 3655
    Dampen Magic Cost after passives: 3884
    So to stack these two shields, you would need to spend 7,539 magicka. And they last 6 seconds. And, since they can now be crit on, that 8-9K shield per stack is gone in a few seconds. A good sorc isn't going to sheild stack, because it is unsustainable, and spending 7.5K every few seconds to keep shields up is not viable to win a fight. If you can't burst them down and wear out their magicka pool when they get into stacking mode, you burst is just bad. And if you are fighting a 1 shield sorc and you can't burst an 8-9K critable shield, then they deserve to beat you.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    My favorite part of this nerf sorc post is thinking they run between 25-30k health effectively. Try 20-25K. And a 15K shield, lol. Maybe before health scaling. 15K shield is not something that is actually realistic. Try 9K. And that 9K is if you are stacking mag to 50K+ with passive mag boosting skills like inner light and bound aegis, boosting fully into Bastion, and health with cyrodil buff is around 22-24K depending on enchants. So, 8-9K shield, but you have to basically go all out into unsustainable levels of min/max on max mag.

So to stack these two shields, you would need to spend 7,539 magicka. And they last 6 seconds. And, since they can now be crit on, that 8-9K shield per stack is gone in a few seconds. A good sorc isn't going to sheild stack, because it is unsustainable, and spending 7.5K every few seconds to keep shields up is not viable to win a fight. If you can't burst them down and wear out their magicka pool when they get into stacking mode, you burst is just bad. And if you are fighting a 1 shield sorc and you can't burst an 8-9K critable shield, then they deserve to beat you.

9k hardened ward is any cp build with max mag.

The size isn't even the problem.
    It's that it isn't impacted by defile.
    Its as strong or stronger than a crit burst heal on any other class.
    It never over heals, but essentially killing it's cost efficiency. Stacking essentially alleviates recasting to early, which would be a wards version of over healing.
    It's a proactive defense. This makes it an extremely safe playstyle, meaning good players will dominate with it.

Sure you have to build into max mag. Building into max magicka is a good thing as it's incredibly impactful for offense, defense, sustain.

Edit: GOOD players
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on September 28, 2020 11:32PM
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players will dominate with it? Lol oof
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »
    We're literally playing Elder Stamina Online and we're trying to advocate for mag nerfs. Come on guys...
    Seriously. Every time I see a thread complaining about shields, it makes me think someone necro'd a post from like 2018.

I virtually never encounter shields in BGs, and Magicka classes in general are much easier to kill than their stamina counterparts. Some of the people complaining about shields should start up a Magicka character, and play against decent-or-better opponents with proper builds and see just how much those "OP" shields help them survive. Especially in no-CP.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not gonna sit here and say its super hard to burst thru shields on an immobile target but 8-9k hardened wards are either in no-CP or on a bad build in CP (unless sorcs arent stacking max mag anymore, which I don't think is the case). And if you can show me an immobile sorc, I'll show you a bad sorc.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not gonna sit here and say its super hard to burst thru shields on an immobile target but 8-9k hardened wards are either in no-CP or on a bad build in CP (unless sorcs arent stacking max mag anymore, which I don't think is the case). And if you can show me an immobile sorc, I'll show you a bad sorc.

Duel sorcs or sorcs fighting in a tower. Streak is kinda useless there, mobility-wise.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

Duel sorcs or sorcs fighting in a tower. Streak is kinda useless there, mobility-wise.

You're crazy. Streak from 1 opening to the other to instant los.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »
    Wards are overall a horrible idea for PvP in this game, to allow a build with 25-30k health to effectively bring that up to 40-45k on an almost permanent basis whilst still maintaining such a high effective spell power is always going to tilt heavily in its favour, especially in 1v1 scenarios. Now healing is being nerfed again which makes all other builds that rely on these, particularly warden and dk receiving the heaviest ones effectively even harder to play again. Magsorc on the other hand which is already incredibly strong and in a good position has evaded the nerf again thanks to their healing option being double wards. Wards need an overall change and should all work like the old healing ward and give a heal up to the tool tip based on missing health, rather than being able to constantly stack and effectively doubling their health at all times.

Wards were overall a great idea for PvP in this game. They are one of the only forms of Active player driven tankiness still available. Your issue you complain about is mainly driven at the fact that builds at this point are so stat inflated that 25-30khp is the norm. I haven't seen any of the top magsorcs running shield stack builds since like summerset.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, from latest patchnotes Battle Spirit heal reduction changed from 60% to 55%, so like 10% effective increase of heal.
    Edited by Cinbri on September 29, 2020 6:17AM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For one second let's suppose the OP's premise is right that wards are much more effective/efficient than healing.

How exactly does nerfing them and turning the sorcerer into a craptastic magikca based class - just like every other magicka spec - improve the game? In case you hadn't noticed, because ZOS has basically gutted anything interesting that a class can do, stamina specs have always been competitive and usually somewhere between meta and really strong because:
    • No matter what ZOS does to our classes, they have options to 2 weapons with very good PvP oriented abilities (from which they shift between duel wield and 2H depending on what ZOS nerfs) and these skills hit ridiculously hard because ZOS keeps putting in ways to increase weapon damage. By comparison the destruction staff is an ok PvE weapon.
    • No matter how much ZOS butchers old magicka skills that use to do multiple things like heal and damage, Stamina can always slot a very good heal in Vigor that scales on that ridiculously high weapon damage and not even be tied to a bad weapon like a resto staff.
    • The magicka burst ultimate is the most telegraphed attack in the history of the game and somehow costs 200 ultimate. Dawnbreaker may have a stupid cast time, but it still hits hard, and costs a lot less.
    • No matter how much ZOS nerfs the crap out of skills and healing, which is magicka's primary way of defending itself, stamina users by default will always be faster and will always be able to dodge more, which will forever work well at damage mitigation/avoidance no matter what questionable decisions the dev teams makes.
    • Out of the 1,476,956,429 overpowered proc sets that have ever been in eso, at least 85% of those have been stamina based.

All of these mean that stamina players have a certain immunity to ZOS's nerfs because there are good options outside their over-nerfed classes.

I only recently started playing again because I got tired that ZOS had adopted the OP's approach of nerf anything that is either remotely interesting or effective. The number of magplars, magicka DKs, Mag wardens, and Mag necros I've encountered and fought that wasn't in a group or zerg-surfing has been zero. None. Nada. Zilch. I can't even tell what stamina classes I am fighting any more because they all basically are either Dizzy - Executioner spam or are Chernobyl inspired horrors that ooze unavoidable multiple poison procs that are far stronger than any class ability in the game. Unless it's a Sorc running Hurricane, I legit don't even know the classes these people run. The only reprieve I get from fighting proc sets is the only single viable magicka spec left - the sorcerer. And now you want to ruin that when ZOS has already in multiple patches nerfed the shields and their mechanics.

We're to the point where class abilities should not be compared to each other, rather should be compared to the ridiculously strong proc sets that have totally overshadowed anything a class can do. There isn't a class ability in the game that is, to use a word I hate, "overperforming" from this perspective. Nothing.

The interesting solution to the "problem" the OP identified in shields being too efficient/effective in relation to healing/alternative means classes have to defend themselves (lol, what are those? ZoS took them all away years ago) is not to ruin the sole remaining spec that actually relies on class abilities, but to improve the non shield/ward ways that people vainly attempt to use to defend themselves
    Edited by Joy_Division on September 29, 2020 6:43AM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Opening? Tower fights always take place around the walls.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And those walls have an entrance on either side you can run around to los... are we talking about different things?
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And those walls have an entrance on either side you can run around to los... are we talking about different things?

Apparently. There is no opening you can streak to when you hug the wall. You rather streak off the balcony or into a wall.