The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is Silks of the sun set going to get buffed too? (PvP)

• Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK's are op, they have class abilities which aren't AoE
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem with Silks is that is disproportionately powerful on a DK specifically. It would be like giving magDK free 600 spell damage with no penalties (compare to NMA = 401 + 5% cost), because literally ALL of their damage is fire. None of these other "damage-type" sets have that kind of disproportionate affect on a specific class.

what about war maiden? all of magnbs damage is magic type, and a lot of magplar abilities are also magic type except for sun fire, sword singer? stamsorcs with 2h builds primarily only use 2h abilities for damage. so I don't really think that's a good arguement

Magblade's class abilities are magic damage. But their light attacks are not (which is a significant portion of DPS), their non-class abilities are not, their destro/meteor ult isn't.

Same goes for magplar.

Whereas on a magDK.. every single ounce of damage that they deal is fire. Every LA weave. Ultimates, everything.

I can see the argument vs Sword Singer in PVP.

fossilize and volatile armor deals magic damage, so technically all magdk damage isn't fire, only the impactful skills,
    magnb. ALL their kit is magic damage, regardless of staff type. if Silks of the sun shouldn't be buffed because "it'll be a buff to magdk" then war maiden shouldn't have been buffed because it's a buff to magnb and magplars.

Fossilize and Volatile Armor deal a paltry amount of damage. They are not used for the purpose of dealing damage.

Staff type matters. LA weaves make up a significant portion of your overall damage. In PVE, magblades use destro ultimate, fire staff, wall of elements. A large chunk of their total DPS is non-magic damage. My magblades does about 40k on a 6-mil dummy.. and ~10k of that (25%!!!) is light attacks from my fire staff. Same is true for magplar.

Look at a magDK's PVE rotation and you will see 100% fire damage and nothing else (volatile armor does not count.. please).

Mystic Orb is one of the strongest DoTs you have and is AoE, I do 88k on iron atro on PTS with mother sorrow, 87k succession with orb or scalding rune but scalding rune is a pain in the ass, and it basically single target because 3 meters is hardly anything and I had a lot better crit rng that time, 85.5k with burning spellweave, 86k with scathing mage, and with silks of sun it's 85k.

If you want to talk PvE if you're pure fire damage you're losing a lot of AoE damage and Single target unless you build only for fire, not to mention degen if you're using heroism pots which isn't a huge loss only around 500 to 1000 of single target damage but when you're min maxing that's more than you might think especially testing between sets.

Then you need to take into account for ranged fights when you need to use elemental weapon or force pulse ( ele weapon is better almost regardless the one situation being vMA where the revived asylum staff will be better for sustain ) in which case you'll be better off using succession than silks of the sun for force pulse ( even if you were to have the 600 damage ) and elemental weapon as a spam you're better of using anything other than succession or sun.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem with Silks is that is disproportionately powerful on a DK specifically. It would be like giving magDK free 600 spell damage with no penalties (compare to NMA = 401 + 5% cost), because literally ALL of their damage is fire. None of these other "damage-type" sets have that kind of disproportionate affect on a specific class.

what about war maiden? all of magnbs damage is magic type, and a lot of magplar abilities are also magic type except for sun fire, sword singer? stamsorcs with 2h builds primarily only use 2h abilities for damage. so I don't really think that's a good arguement

Magblade's class abilities are magic damage. But their light attacks are not (which is a significant portion of DPS), their non-class abilities are not, their destro/meteor ult isn't.

Same goes for magplar.

Whereas on a magDK.. every single ounce of damage that they deal is fire. Every LA weave. Ultimates, everything.

fossilize and volatile armor deals magic damage, so technically all magdk damage isn't fire, only the impactful skills,
    magnb. ALL their kit is magic damage, regardless of staff type. if Silks of the sun shouldn't be buffed because "it'll be a buff to magdk" then war maiden shouldn't have been buffed because it's a buff to magnb and magplars.

Fossilize and Volatile Armor deal a paltry amount of damage. They are not used for the purpose of dealing damage.

Staff type matters. LA weaves make up a significant portion of your overall damage. In PVE, magblades use destro ultimate, fire staff, wall of elements. A large chunk of their total DPS is non-magic damage. My magblades does about 40k on a 6-mil dummy.. and ~10k of that (25%!!!) is light attacks from my fire staff. Same is true for magplar.

Look at a magDK's PVE rotation and you will see 100% fire damage and nothing else (volatile armor does not count.. please).

Mystic Orb is one of the strongest DoTs you have and is AoE, I do 88k on iron atro on PTS with mother sorrow, 87k succession with orb or scalding rune but scalding rune is a pain in the ass, and it basically single target because 3 meters is hardly anything and I had a lot better crit rng that time, 85.5k with burning spellweave, 86k with scathing mage, and with silks of sun it's 85k.

If you want to talk PvE if you're pure fire damage you're losing a lot of AoE damage and Single target unless you build only for fire, not to mention degen if you're using heroism pots which isn't a huge loss only around 500 to 1000 of single target damage but when you're min maxing that's more than you might think especially testing between sets.

Then you need to take into account for ranged fights when you need to use elemental weapon or force pulse ( ele weapon is better almost regardless the one situation being vMA where the revived asylum staff will be better for sustain ) in which case you'll be better off using succession than silks of the sun for force pulse ( even if you were to have the 600 damage ) and elemental weapon as a spam you're better of using anything other than succession or sun.

For sure I'm not up on what's considered optimal for PVE these days. My point is magDK is the only class that has the viable option of using one single damage type and nothing else. Giving Silks 600 damage is not the same thing as giving Swamp Raider 600 damage. Swamp Raider isn't going to have as big of an impact on one specific class the way Silks does. Nobody has the (viable) option of dealing ONLY poison/disease damage, or ONLY magic damage, or ONLY shock damage, etc. Fire is the only one and only DK's can do it.

edit typo
    Edited by ketsparrowhawk on July 29, 2020 5:34PM
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same goes for magplar.

For sure I'm not up on what's considered optimal for PVE these days. My point is magDK is the only class that has the viable option of using one single damage type and nothing else. Giving Silks 600 damage is not the same thing as giving Swamp Raider 600 damage. Swamp Raider isn't going to have as big of an impact on one specific class the way Silks does. Nobody has the (viable) option of dealing ONLY poison/disease damage, or ONLY magic damage, or ONLY shock damage, etc. Fire is the only one and only DK's can do it.

edit typo

While that is true and I respect you saying so, currently silk of the suns at 400 is just not worth it versus other options.. and I would love to see the set to be actually well placed, just like how I feel like burning spellweave and scathing mage both need some love, even new moon acolyte got hit too hard, the new set they're proposing talfygs also needs love..

But this forum is about silks of the sun. Giving the state of everything even if they were to give the other sets love, I think 600 would be fair in PvE and niche, in PvP it would be very powerful but wouldn't provide healing so you'd be good at killing, but also pretty good at dying.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s interesting that they changed the Max Health to Spell Crit . Clearly there is some standardization going on here, and this was a PVE buff by about 2.5% DPS to anyone using the set (a small number). However this same change can be seen as a nerf in PVP where crit doesn’t matter much (or has no effect with Malacath’s Band) and extra health is more desirable.