The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Should zos make LIVE tests a regular thing?

MincVinyl
MincVinyl
✭✭✭✭✭
Ideally we wouldn't have to do live tests, but spending a week or two every couple of months with incentives/bonuses would be more than manageable.

There are plenty of other mechanical layers of the game that zos could look into....(imo these should be looked into before gutting aoes but hey)
  • Cp
  • Procs
  • Cross healing/buffing/set proccing (many ways to implement, best: 1-4players can do outside of group 5-24 players can only interact with group)
  • Over time effects stacking (previously how the game worked, less calculations, more skill/class/morph diversity,
  • The hammer and destroyable gates (Leads to faction stacks)
  • Keep ticks being the go to ap farm (resource incentives could spread out playes during seiges)
  • Mountspeed being too fast (people bypassing field fights just to get to the ball seige at keeps)
  • Abilities with too many mechanics (think of how complicated dizzy swing has become since it was a long cast hard hit knockup)
  • Catapult seige and persistent ground effects
  • The anticheat system (cant see zos removing this in the long run, but if they could disable it for a week it would be interesting to see what happens)

Should zos make LIVE tests a regular thing? 89 votes

Yes
77%
laurajfKungfuwenchmore420b14_ESONemesis7884hollywoodadilazimdegilxSeaUnicornkojouJodynnHatchetHaroIdinuselostcloudAjaksactoshpieratsoskalunteErralnStrider__RoshinLarianaMarto 69 votes
No
22%
rollingphoneseb17_ESObooksmcreadElsonsoDedricusSkoomahLettigallMayraelTequilaFireSugaroverdoseartalRunefangTyrobagJingleclawTsar_Gekkoumartijnlv40QaghGirl_Number8SergeantJinxJman100582WombatNipples65 20 votes
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well yes and no. Not for a month too long. A weakend research sure
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Yeah timing of course would have to be decided along with the incentives
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think it's a good idea to make targeted tests like that because they will be more accurate. PTS does not reflect all specifics of live, so a lot of stuff goes unnoticed and is only discovered on live when it's too late to fix and we get stuck with it for a whole quarter.

2 things that need to absolutely happen for this to be good practice:
    1. Meaningful rewards for participants. We are basically doing free QA for ZOS, all labor needs to be rewarded.
    2. Fixes for major issues need to be at a faster pace. This must include balance fixes too. Things tend to be over-buffed and over-nerfed quite often and then we are stuck with imbalances for a whole quarter. This results in massive loss of players and hurts end game community a lot.
    Edited by SeaUnicorn on July 28, 2020 5:44PM
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Can’t ZOS just hire staff to do the testing themselves?

Why do I have to lay a completely different game because the are cheaping out on staff?

They have logs of what everyone is activating for skills. Create some bots that can mimic button mashing?
    Edited by Skoomah on July 28, 2020 5:46PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Create a special live campaign for it and leave the normal campaigns in peace please.
    Call it a test campaign and leave it up.
    Edited by TequilaFire on July 28, 2020 5:48PM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    PTS doesn't have enough people anyway...Bandwith isn't free either.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Skoomah wrote: »

Why do I have to lay a completely different game because the are cheaping out on staff?

They have logs of what everyone is activating for skills. Create some bots that can mimic button mashing?

You are asking zos to hire on 80+employees and teach them the game, hope they abide by the same meta when they can do it for free?
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I think you have the wrong idea my friend. ZOS is proposing the live server test, since there are certain test that requires a ton of players to make a good sample size.
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    IMO, this is by far the best solution for the performance issue. You cannot fix an issue involving millions of players, with the sample size of a few hundreds on PTS.
  • Ajaks
    Ajaks
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    They can open a Cyrodiil PVP campaign only for testing. I'd gladly take part in it if Zenimax stays open on the ideas for changes and the reasoning behind them. PVE will be harder to implement in similar ways however.
  • catnamedwill
    catnamedwill
    ✭✭✭
    Problem with this approach is that there are so many things to test, there will always one test or the other going on.
  • artal
    artal
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Running some test is not issue. Changing game and running tests for 1 MONTH is issue.
    They should make test campaign and reward players playing therr some way. Forcing broken game play on everyone is really... Well anoying tu put it mildly. and vast majority of players have strong feelings about every single proposition they made for this tests.

If you pay for the game you want to have fun playing character you like the way you enjoy. And not spending whole month playing either broken char, or what most people will do, single target build as much as you can.
    This test will show nothing. I can already see cyrodiil full of nbs.
    Have fun testing I'm gonna hit the beach some more. And if any form of cooldown goes through gonna finaly hang my weapons
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They need to try something new.
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »
    IMO, this is by far the best solution for the performance issue. You cannot fix an issue involving millions of players, with the sample size of a few hundreds on PTS.

You do realize that they have player caps in cyrodiil. The zone gets no where near millions of people. It can barely handle 50 people on the same screen at once...
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    MincVinyl wrote: »

You are asking zos to hire on 80+employees and teach them the game, hope they abide by the same meta when they can do it for free?

Yes. I am asking for ZOS to properly staff their company so they can release products that are polished and major bugs free, have enough staff to address historical issues and new issues quickly. How many sloppy releases and sloppy patches and sloppy class balance attempts do you want continue experiencing?

They charge us one chapter per year for the cost of full blown games with way more content. They charge monthly subscriptions on top of that. I’m sure they can afford and should want to afford it if they want to grow and maintain the game.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MincVinyl wrote: »

Yes. I am asking for ZOS to properly staff their company so they can release products that are polished and major bugs free, have enough staff to address historical issues and new issues quickly. How many sloppy releases and sloppy patches and sloppy class balance attempts do you want continue experiencing?

They charge us one chapter per year for the cost of full blown games with way more content. They charge monthly subscriptions on top of that. I’m sure they can afford and should want to afford it if they want to grow and maintain the game.

though I agree, I think it won't be possible at this point. It could have been a good option when it was a Pay 2 play game like 6 years ago and there were little content (just base game)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    No, from a software development perspective making changes in live without sufficient testing is a bad idea. Production is a sacred place.

I can understand why they're doing this, simulating this test must be so difficult for them that a live test is preferable. But generally even performance testing like this should occur in a non-production environment.
  • Wolf81
    Wolf81
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes every patch cycle they should be doing tests on both the algorithms & spaghetti codes along with stress tests on their hardware regarding megaservers. I still believe they need a seperate server hub for cyrodiil to alleviate not only the stress on their megaserver but pvp in general...spend money to make money.
    Edited by Wolf81 on July 29, 2020 2:08AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunatly the poll is biased by the spin put into it by listing what the OP thinks should be tested vs a clean poll about focused testing on areas known to have significant impacts on game performance.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Live testing is not for the faint of heart. We have too many people with faint hearts. Let them rest in peace.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Live testing is not for the faint of heart. We have too many people with faint hearts. Let them rest in peace.

Specific well-intended and thought out testing is beneficial. However, most of the things OP lists as the focus of this poll have already been tested very thoroughly, such as CP, or are known to not have a meaningful effect, such as destroyable gates since we would be stacking at a keep if not at the gate.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Yeah... Because placing some prescripted bots simulating players actions in highly controlled environment and conditions isn't the way they could do test. It could not only show them general direction but also biggest offenders (skills) that cause most load, because same skill loops could give them repeatable results easier to analyze. Increase the amount of bots untill you recieve satisifing results. You stress test the servers in controlled way, trying to meassure what causes most load, then try to analyze what causes that load, maybe some nested methods or functions, maybe it's recurency.

Testing this on live will not give them representative data, as those testing conditions will lead to people changing their builds and the way they play, to adjust to those changes. Just like when we had siege bug. People started to spread more, lag was almost gone, conclusion? Lower damage of sieges causes more server load :P
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes
    Especially for PvP
    Awake, but at what cost
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think live testing is a good thing if it doesn't break stuff and make the game unplayable. Especially if there's an incentive to join the testing, like double AP. It's extremely hard to mirror a live environment in a testing bubble, especially with all the players.
    EU PC
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    PTS is of limited use anyway, and of no use for stress tests, since few people are on it at any time. A lot of stuff couldn't be tested properly, for example the multi-bid system for traders last year.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

not weekends...a lot of ppl can only play on weekends and probably dont want to be guinnie pigs all the time
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

not weekends...a lot of ppl can only play on weekends and probably dont want to be guinnie pigs all the time

So people who work weekends and can only play during the week can deal with having to be guinea pigs all the time? That seems a little unfair to give such favoritism to one group. Just make the test last all week long to be fair.
  • CaperGuy
    CaperGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think it's fair when it comes to real big core changes like this, I.E. - fixing bugs that happen from game design itself + the impact on the server -only- in stressful conditions.

The alternative is likely years of guessing games as to what they -think- they should do to help, which could result in never getting anything truely root cause fixed. They should absolutely do what they need to do to get the data, to fix/improve things.

Characters:

Trivalaur - Breton Templar(Healer)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    idk wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »

Specific well-intended and thought out testing is beneficial. However, most of the things OP lists as the focus of this poll have already been tested very thoroughly, such as CP, or are known to not have a meaningful effect, such as destroyable gates since we would be stacking at a keep if not at the gate.

Well, to be honest, I treated those things in the OP as "for example" not as "we should do these"... no matter what the intent was. I answered based on the question in the title.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Temeraire507
    Temeraire507
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    They should absoluetely do more live test events. Give players a pet or whatever for helping out and participating just like with the livestreams, to make sure more people help out.

There is a limit on how much data PTS and hired testers can provide. There's no way you would hire enough people to lock cyro just for one test and on live people are also experienced what can't really be said for testers you just hire once or twice. Live test events are the most effective and sometimes even the only way to get meaningful results on how changes would affect the live environment.